Skip to main content

The field is set for the MMWS in McKinney starting Wednesday 8/3.

DBAT Perry-Bye first round

11am Powerhouse Baseball (Miami Fl) vs So Cal Bombers

2pm Indiana Prospects (#1 ranked 16u team by Perfect Game) vs. Ontario(CN) Bluejays

5pm DBAT Sharp vs Arrevica Warriors (Puerto Rico)

8pm Frozen Ropes-Florence vs Moline(IL) Blackhawks

MMWS
"16 Goals For Success": 1. Commitment; 2. Unselfishness; 3. Unity; 4. Improvement; 5. Toughness; 6. Self-discipline; 7. Great effort; 8. Enthusiasm; 9. Eliminate mistakes; 10. Never give up; 11. Don't accept losing; 12. No self-limitations; 13. Expect to win; 14. Consistency; 15. Leadership; 16. Responsibility.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

With highs at or above 108 degrees this coming week I hope the MMWS people will take every precaution to keep the players, parents, coaches, umpires and most of all the elderly safe from heat related problems. Possibly start games earlier in the morning or play later at night. It made no sense this past week at AABC Reg. to have the only two games of the day held at 12:30 and 3:00. Other days games would start at 10am and last game at 5:30. What is wrong with 8am and 8pm games. Also you were not allowed to run for your catcher. If you did he was out of game and could not return.
I understand it is ultimatley the responsibility of the individual to take the precations but please, please MMWS brass do what you can for the safey of all that will be attending. Even if it means bending a rule or two. Some teams that will make the trip to McKinney are not acclimated to our heat. 100 degress is one thing 110 is extreme. I'm sure I will make a few of these games as I have the past few years but probably not in the afternoon. I have seen on the news of some outdoor events that have already be canceled or postponed that were to take place this week. Probably not a possibilty for MMWS but its not to late to change some things up for the safety of all. Sorry if I am offending anyone by my rant but this coming weeks weather is rare for even us Texans.
Stay hydrated and try to keep cool. Good luck to all. But best of luck to our three local teams.
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Guthrie:
Would both of you all come out of the closet?

Let's go.

Baseball up!

Ken,
I agree. Seems like you made that same request before. Will these two reveal their true identities? Probably not. Or should I say, "If I was a betting man", I would bet that they will not reveal themselves.
Philip
Precautions will be taken.

First, nothing has been cancelled. We had some things we were trying to do differently and ran into other issues. It was also getting to the point that a lot of the coaches didn't like having players do the skills competition. We moved the Welcome Dinner for the teams to the Rock Creek Ranch Event Center. We will also have the Dustin Perkins Band for entertainment.

Games are scheduled for 11:00, 2:00, 5:00 and 7:30. Why not earlier? No one wants to get up at 5:30 am to go play a baseball game. Now, which is hot game: the 2:00 pm, 5:00 pm, or 7:30 pm game? Answer: They ALL are. Last night at 7:30 I was having a harder time than any other time. In addition, the logistics of having it at multiple fields, or playing only early or late are just too difficult to handle.

We have 6' tall swamp coolers in the dugouts, that we will be adding 10 pound blocks of ice in the water. We also have 2 more that we are trying to position for the spectators, but they are so big they block the view.

The AABC national tournaments (including regionals) are played by ORB. I did request an exception to ORB regarding courtesy runners for the pitcher & catcher due to the heat. The AABC office said that's not a problem. Then we just had to word the rule since it didn't exist.

That's about all that we can do. As my father told the mother from Minnesota one year, "I ain't in charge of the weather."

Yes it's hot, but dadgum people........IT'S AUGUST IN TEXAS. IT'S GONNA BE HOT!!!! I played for Denny Dixon in the summer of '80. It wasn't that bad. Of course, now I'm the twice the man I use to be.

Y'ALL COME SEE US AT AL ALFORD FIELD!!!!!!

Thanks.

David Gunter
MMWS, Tournament Director
David,

I'm positive whatever happens you and your staff will keep the kids in mind as you have been doing for many many years.

I commend you for all you have done for youth baseball, this event, AABC, and the City of McKinney.

We'd all love to play in Colorado on a 65 degree night with sleeves...

But then again...who would volunteer to do all the work. Wink

Good luck and thanks again for all you do.
You do a great job David and the MMWS tournament is first rate. My son is looking forward to coming to the late game tonight....no matter how hot it is.

From what I hear there are some salty teams in this year's bracket but a couple of DFW coaching icons, Danny Florence and Jim Perry, might just have their squads ready to make some noise.

Gut, did they cancel the base throwing contest?
Last edited by Frozen Ropes GM
Thanks, guys. We try. Sometimes we hit, sometimes we miss.

Had a slug fest this morning with the Miami and California teams, with California winning 16-7.

Ontario Blue Jays beat the Indiana Prospects, 12-2.

DBAT Mustangs - Sharp and Puerto Rico just kicked off.

Yes, it's hot. We're doing all that we can do to help everyone deal with it. My volunteers are working hard to keep up with the water and gatorade demand. Swamp coolers are running and we've blown several breakers several times.
Frozen Ropes lost to Moline, IL Blackhawks. I think it was 7-6 but not really sure. Missed quite a bit of the game after one of the photographers that works for Buzz was hit in the face with a thrown ball between innings. AND I mean that it was thrown. Not sure of the damage and hopefully it is all soft tissue, but not likely.

If any one comes up here, find the fat man that looks like he's about to fall over.......that's me. Come say hi.

Bed before 1:00 am and get to sleep in until 7:00. SWEET!!!!!!
One more thing. The City of McKinney has been great with anything that we need, and at any time. All of the way from the cleaning crew to the Mayor and city council. The same goes for McKinney ISD and Jeff Lackie. The cooling fan on the scoreboard went out and was shutting it off. They found a replacement and fixed it. The rope for one of the flag poles was disintegrated. Now, I'm too fat to go shimmying up the pole. They got a scissor jack out and got it fixed pronto.

We are lucky up here. Bed time...........
I agree with Ags...cancel the games, football started for my son on Monday. Thank you though for the invite to watch games in 107 degree weather, I'm going to pass and watch the Rangers at home in my air conditioned den. Good luck to Sharp, if their pitching holds up from playing in Lubbock last week, that would be something.
Ok just read all this. Too funny at the end. It is too hot for baseball? "but my son started football on Monday?" So I guess it is not to hot for your son for Football? LOL!!!! Baseball season is still going. One of the best tourney's ever is being played this weekend in Farmington.
Yes it is hot very hot. However, Baseball is still going!! God Bless Baseball!!!
quote:
Originally posted by michelle33:
Ok just read all this. Too funny at the end. It is too hot for baseball? "but my son started football on Monday?" So I guess it is not to hot for your son for Football? LOL!!!! Baseball season is still going. One of the best tourney's ever is being played this weekend in Farmington.
Yes it is hot very hot. However, Baseball is still going!! God Bless Baseball!!!

Jeez,,, really. Gotta luv the newbies;;;Wink
Things we need done.......

- clean restrooms
- clean stands
- clean under the stands
- clean dugouts
- replenish all drinking coolers
- trash duty
- foul balls

And other things that I can't think of right now. We're in the 15th game and I've been able to see about 7 innings.

DBAT Mustangs - Perry defeated the Indiana Prospects 13-5.

DBAT Mustangs - Sharp defeated the Ontario Bluejays 2-1 in a really good game. Ontario made a couple of defensive mistakes early in the game and that was the difference. Sharp scored 2 in the 1st, and it was nothing but goose eggs until the bottom of the 7th when an Ontario hitter sent one deep over the right field fence. Good game, good pitching, and abot 1 hour 40 mins.

Perry & Sharp are playing the 5:00 game now. Ontario and Southern California play at 7:30.
quote:
Originally posted by Natural:
Congrats to the DBAT Mustang - Sharp team.

Jack Sharp is greatness. When told earlier this year that popular opinion was that his team was the best 16-year-old team in the country his response was... "how can anyone know that?"

Classic Jack Sharp. Congrats Coach.

I'm a huge DBAT guy so Congrats to DBAT Sharp. Jack is a great guy, and I've seen his team play over 15 games this year. They are good, but not great so I'd be careful when you say top 16U team in the country. They didn't make it out of pool play at the premier world series, or the 16U PG WWBA championship.

I've said this before, but there are several other position players that are on other dbat teams that are better than some on this team (~8-10 players spread out on other teams). DBAT, when they combine there teams next year, they will have a legit top 5 team in the nation which is extremely tough to do, not just top 5 in the connie mack or mm leauges. I'll say this again, Congrats to Dbat sharp, but lets be careful about crowning top 16U in the nation team.
Last edited by Ricky Vaughn

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.