Skip to main content

Go44dad posted:

Mr. Fenway, 

We firmly believe in a persons right to change their mind. We believe it is a basic right of every man and women. Given your propensity to shift allegiances, we are reaching out to you.  We have reserved a first class seat for you on our bandwagon.  We will even include a Nolan Ryan Rainbow Jersey in our offer.

In support of your right and our offer, we will be tooting the horn on our train often this evening. 

Sincerely,

The Houston Astros

Go44Dad,

Thanks for the thought and reaching out.  The thought of a Ryan rainbow  jersey is overwhelming.  He is my idol and I did meet him in 2002 in Round Rock, TX at a restaurant through a work associate.   He's a big dude.   In my mind, Nolan Ryan is to pitching what Babe Ruth is to hitting.   

My life long allegiances have never changed.  I'll explain and come clean.  I got behind the Dodgers because I thought the Yankees were going to beat the Astros in the ALCS.  The thought of a Yankees/Dodgers World Series led me to become an October Dodger fan.  There I said it and I've come clean!   My dislike for the Yankees sometimes clouds my judgement.  Logically it looks like this.....the enemy of my enemy is my friend.....enter the Dodgers.  Dave Roberts is also one of my favorite Red Sox bit players of all time.

Truthfully I'm enjoying the games like everybody else, and I thought the Dodgers would out-talent the Astros quickly.   They haven't.   My wife is really pulling for the Astros and their community.  She clearly has a big heart and doesn't carry the Red Sox/Yankees baggage that I carry around. 

I'm a life long Red Sox fan despite some of the stupid things they've done in recent history (Ie...fire Francona, hire Bobby Valentine) and I follow the Nationals because they are local to me.  Since neither team couldn't get past the first round I find myself just wanting to see competitive World Series games.  So, far we've got that.

BTW...We got your bench coach as our newest Manager.  It is one of the better moves our front office has made in years.   It is a great time for him to take the job.   Good luck the rest of the way!

Last edited by fenwaysouth
Go44dad posted:

I struggle with the idea the dodgers out talent the astros.  Closer is the only spot that there is no argument. 

Got to cut it short. I’m in a dear blind. There is more movement this morning than Peacock’s four seamer. 

So, you watched the game until a little after midnight.   Presumably got up around 4am to 5am to climb into a deer blind thereby depriving yourself of normal sleep.  Do you expect to watch the game tonight until midnight?  What about extra innings?  If so, that would be impressive.  I'd be on the couch snoring by 9pm dreaming of Red Sox Spring Training.

TPM posted:

How can the Red Sox hire the bench coach while they are still playing? 

Is this normal. 

I think that he was granted permission by Astros to interview during an off day and they have agreed in principle on a deal. I don’t think the official contract signing and press conference can happen until after the WS.

At least that’s the way it happens in the NFL. 

Last edited by hshuler

Gurriel banned for 5 games next season.  Not sure how I feel about that. It seems about right but if I was an LAD fan I know I'd think the suspension should begin today.  Though I don't know if that would be possible given the player's right to appeal. Anyway, this unfortunate BS has taken some of the fun out of the WS for sure. 

Interesting take here:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/...-20171027-story.html

Last edited by JCG
fenwaysouth posted:
Go44dad posted:

I struggle with the idea the dodgers out talent the astros.  Closer is the only spot that there is no argument. 

Got to cut it short. I’m in a dear blind. There is more movement this morning than Peacock’s four seamer. 

So, you watched the game until a little after midnight.   Presumably got up around 4am to 5am to climb into a deer blind thereby depriving yourself of normal sleep.  Do you expect to watch the game tonight until midnight?  What about extra innings?  If so, that would be impressive.  I'd be on the couch snoring by 9pm dreaming of Red Sox Spring Training.

Fenway, you are right on the timeline. add in showed a client three homes. Got home about 20 minutes ago. Was starting to feel it, eyelids were getting heavy and I felt my will slipping.

THEN I HEARD THAT TRAIN CALLING ME!  IT’S NOT TOO LATE!  ALL ABOARD!

Go44dad posted:
fenwaysouth posted:
Go44dad posted:

Fenway, you are right on the timeline. add in showed a client three homes. Got home about 20 minutes ago. Was starting to feel it, eyelids were getting heavy and I felt my will slipping.

You’re a man on a mission!

Go44dad posted:
fenwaysouth posted:
Go44dad posted:

Train needs to leave the station already! Real question is, did you get a deer?

brball posted:
Go44dad posted:
fenwaysouth posted:
Go44dad posted:

It’s not rifle season yet, just glassing them. Saw quite a few bucks. Not a trophy hunter. I’m fine with a couple doe. Son and I eat them over a year. Son was bow hunting. A nice one got about 20 yds away from him. It was behind a couple trees. He drew thinking it would clear the trees. It stayed. He lasted about three minutes. Buck never cleared. He let off. Buck sensed him and pranced off. Older bow of mine, doesn’t have the let off of the newer bows. 

Go44dad posted:
brball posted:
Go44dad posted:
fenwaysouth posted:
Go44dad posted:

It’s not rifle season yet, just glassing them. Saw quite a few bucks. Not a trophy hunter. I’m fine with a couple doe. Son and I eat them over a year. Son was bow hunting. A nice one got about 20 yds away from him. It was behind a couple trees. He drew thinking it would clear the trees. It stayed. He lasted about three minutes. Buck never cleared. He let off. Buck sensed him and pranced off. Older bow of mine, doesn’t have the let off of the newer bows. 

Gotcha. Son and I live in GA, but hunt on my dads land in MS. We just prefer doe as well for eating until that trophy comes around. We’ve been scouting one since last year and got this on our trail cam last weekend, see photos...(ignore the dates as I haven’t set them) Can’t wait to go home in a few weeks! Gonna put my son on the stand of the trail cam and I’m gonna be on next stand over... we’ll see what happens!

Attachments

Images (2)
  • E312F874-AC91-48D7-8DCE-319F21694855
  • 878782FF-9569-4A18-BC46-533320E95E1F
Last edited by brball
RJM posted:

I just noticed something absolutely lame about the Astros. Cheerleaders dancing on the dugouts? LAME!

It is relative.  The racism of many Red Sox fans at Fenway is All-Time Hall of Fame level lame....  Penn State still having a football program after Joe Pa & others looked the other way on child rape is lame on an inter-galactic level.

Cheerleaders on dugouts?  Yeah, I guess...

JCG posted:

Gurriel banned for 5 games next season.  Not sure how I feel about that. It seems about right but if I was an LAD fan I know I'd think the suspension should begin today.  Though I don't know if that would be possible given the player's right to appeal. Anyway, this unfortunate BS has taken some of the fun out of the WS for sure. 

Interesting take here:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/...-20171027-story.html

I'm fairly certain how I feel about it and Gurriel should have been suspended NOW....no questions asked   Why is this even a question.

Manfred & MLB should have stepped in, suspended him, and said a few choice words like "grow-up and act like a professional".   Gurriel would have appealed (per collective bargaining agreement) and MLB would be off the hook.  In this manner, the player would be held 100% responsible for his childish actions to his teammates, fans and everybody else.   Ridiculous action by the player and a poorly handled judgement by the MLB Commish.  

As always, JMO.

Last edited by fenwaysouth
Go44dad posted:
fenwaysouth posted:
Go44dad posted:

I hate that stupid train!

Seriously, that was a big pivot game.  Odds swung big back to the Dodgers. Momentum is only as good as your next starting pitcher, and for the Dodgers I hear Vin Scully "and on the mound is Clayton Kershaw, the best there is...".

Go44dad posted:
Go44dad posted:
fenwaysouth posted:
Go44dad posted:

I hate that stupid train!

Seriously, that was a big pivot game.  Odds swung big back to the Dodgers. Momentum is only as good as your next starting pitcher, and for the Dodgers I hear Vin Scully "and on the mound is Clayton Kershaw, the best there is...".

Keuchel outduels Kershaw tonight and Verlander closed it out on Tuesday.  Astros in six! 

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. LoL 

baseballmom posted:

What happened to the bullpen?? 

Morton deserves HIGH PRAISE! He was just so ON! 

Morton has been impressive the whole post season regardless of the World Series outcome.  I'd not seen him pitch this year until the playoffs.   So, he is the best pitcher I've not seen pitch.   I'm sure some of the Houston faithful have seen him and are equally impressed.  He's got great stuff and he controls it well.  Darvish could learn something from Morton.   

Fangraph's has it 54% to 46% (Dodgers) tonight, with home field negating some of Kershaw's influence. 

My data analytics son keeps telling me that statically baseball is the most unpredictable of all of the sports so you never know what will happen. Houston had to win game 2 and did and the Dodgers had to win game 4 and did. 

My good friend from Houston told me that before the playoff's started he felt that Houston's bullpen was their one weakness. 

Regardless I still have Dodgers in 7.  

StrainedOblique posted:
Go44dad posted:

Closer is the only spot. Really??........Clayton Kershaw is the Best in the game ( There are no comparables )

And Dodger Bullpen : Brandon Morrow ( Set up) , Kenta Meada (Middle Relief ) LIGHTS OUT.

F819804B-5E94-4581-BD1D-1B2B651F2730

Kershaw is great no doubt. But I really think you are overlooking the confidence of Verlander. 

Attachments

Images (1)
  • F819804B-5E94-4581-BD1D-1B2B651F2730
3and2Fastball posted:
RJM posted:

I just noticed something absolutely lame about the Astros. Cheerleaders dancing on the dugouts? LAME!

It is relative.  The racism of many Red Sox fans at Fenway is All-Time Hall of Fame level lame....  Penn State still having a football program after Joe Pa & others looked the other way on child rape is lame on an inter-galactic level.

Cheerleaders on dugouts?  Yeah, I guess...

Racism of Red Sox fans? Do you mean the ONE of 35,000 that yelled something?

Last edited by RJM
Go44dad posted:
StrainedOblique posted:
Go44dad posted:

Closer is the only spot. Really??........Clayton Kershaw is the Best in the game ( There are no comparables )

And Dodger Bullpen : Brandon Morrow ( Set up) , Kenta Meada (Middle Relief ) LIGHTS OUT.

F819804B-5E94-4581-BD1D-1B2B651F2730

Kershaw is great no doubt. But I really think you are overlooking the confidence of Verlander. 

meme

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.