Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

At least yours know where they are. Mine are still sneaky about NOT wearing them at all. I hate it. My warnings continue to go unheeded......
I actually look forward to that sickening thud when I can walk out onto the field, taking my own sweet time and whistling a cheerful tune, kneel down over the vanquished and whisper...."Shoulda worn your cup."
Then walk back to the stands, whistling merrily, maybe pausing oh so briefly to pluck a stray pebble off the first base line......
Last edited by Krakatoa
quote:
Originally posted by momandcpa:
quote:
Ahh ... when mine was younger, he insisted on keeping it in the middle of the dining room table.

Once we actually put fake flowers in it to use it as a centerpiece. He immediately stopped keeping it there

That's great cutelaugh... I'd do that, too, BUT I'm afraid my son would like it!!! Already misplaced his new Under Armor shirt and last night the dog literally chewed up his glove!

I promise ... there is an age when they embarress easily ... it's the age when they need to start wearing cups. Put the flowers in it and invite someone over, leaving it on the table (wash it in the dishwasher first).

He'll never do it again.
Krakatoa -
You might want to try what coaches back in our Little League days did to get their point across about the proper baseball "equipment". Before the game, they had the team line up and take a knee and walk by doing a random "cup check" with a tap of the end of a bat. nervous Trust me, the threat was enough to get all players to suit up! bgrroll
Last edited by RHP05Parent
I noticed last Thursday that one of my players wasn't running right. I asked him several times if there was something wrong and he kept saying "no". I sat him down anyway cause it just didn't look good.

I just found out that the player had lost his cup and didn't want his parents to know ( I guess he losses a lot of stuff Smile ) My first thought was... "he only has 1 cup? :P )

So the boy used a little ingenuity to create a cup.

You know those little batting helmets that some stadiums serve ice cream in? He stuck one in his jock thinking it would protect him! I kid you not!

This kid is a good player, but I have to question his common sense at this point crazy
I was coaching LL 10yr olds and I told the parents that the boys needed cups to play, League rules. So a couple of days later, one of the boys was messing with his cup in the outfield.
So when he came in I noticed this big I mean big Bulge.
Well they didn't have any youth sizes to compare with so his dad bought him XL adult size. His mother was so embaressed, But the boy wore it proudly the whole season.LOL
theEH:

quote:
Originally posted by theEH:
I was coaching LL 10yr olds and I told the parents that the boys needed cups to play, League rules. So a couple of days later, one of the boys was messing with his cup in the outfield.
So when he came in I noticed this big I mean big Bulge.
Well they didn't have any youth sizes to compare with so his dad bought him XL adult size. His mother was so embaressed, But the boy wore it proudly the whole season.LOL

Being such a young chap, I trust his cup did not runneth over before the end of the season!

rotlaugh
Last edited by gotwood4sale
Another true story! Son was playing in the Sunbelt Classic in Edmonds, OK back in 2000. He was catching and caught a foul tip squarely on the cup. It actually cut him in the groin area. He crumpled to his knees in severe pain. They carried him to the dug out and laid him on the bench. A young girl paramedic rushed up and screamed; "GET SOME ICE!" He bounded up from the bench and said...“ICE”???? and started shaking his head no. With his lips still pale from the pain me managed to tell everyone he was fine....And please, NO ICE!
Bill Veeck
1914-1987
Executive

* Hall of Fame in 1991
Perhaps best remembered for sending midget Eddie Gaedel to bat in a game against the Tigers at St. Louis in 1952, Veeck was baseball's most imaginative promoter. He grew up in a ballpark and was never happier than when he was roaming the grandstand and bleachers, mingling with fans. An admitted publicity hound and an imaginative innovator who frequently upset other club owners with his proposals and stunts, he was also a sound baseball man who created winners in Cleveland.

Does Disco Demolition come to mind? http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/submit/Wright_S.R.1.stm

dwarf
Last edited by gotwood4sale
quote:
Originally posted by theEH:
Who's Bill Veeck101

Bill was the team owner who once brought in a midget on a major league team. He had one plate appearance that resulted in a walk. He also employed a clown to coach 3rd base (in costume). His goal was to get the fans in the seats was to provide entertainment.

Obviously, the "101" refers to a freshman level course.
Freshman year of college my son called panicked and said "Mom, you need to do me a big favor...my cup broke and you need to go to Decathalon and send me a new one"...gives me the style and size...off I go thinking "why me...should be the Father"...but being the Mom I do as asked....so I find the cups and locate the style and the size...and in my mind I am saying...No!!!...No!!! this is way, way too big...so I find a sales lady and explain my dilemma...she informs me that I am in the correct area.. so I tell her the cup seems way too big for my son...she tells me just for a hoot mail him the size small and tell him that I thought he was exaggerating and the small was more his size...we had a great time discussing sizes, delusions etc...in the end I bought the size sonny asked for as I did not think he would find it funny...and when I told him the story I was right...he did NOT think it was funny at all... Confused
A good friend of mine was the baseball team mother for her son's young baseball team. The guys on the team were at the age when they thought the "cups" were just so cool and they would always be doing "cup checks" on each other by banging on them! Roll Eyes Anyway...because the "cups" were such a topic of conversation that particular year amongst the young guys, my friend decided to incorporate "cups" into the end of the year party for the team. She used CLEAN AND NEW cups for dip, salsa and condiment holders on the tables. She even bought cups and tied balloons to them (the cups anchored the balloons to the table) for the centerpieces. It was hilarious to see the guys reactions. Big Grin I wonder what Martha Stewart would have to say about my friend's choice of "baseball decor"? Eek
Last edited by luvbb
One day last year son was catching in a conference game and took foul ball directly off cup.Promptly fell to knees then face forward.Time called and he painfully lumbered behind dugout and threw up.Returned to game and had coupla hits.After game back home proudly displayed cup with long crack down center.Still has cup (broken) in room as trophy. baseball3
quote:
A good friend of mine was the baseball team mother for her son's young baseball team. The guys on the team were at the age when they thought the "cups" were just so cool and they would always be doing "cup checks" on each other by banging on them! Anyway...because the "cups" were such a topic of conversation that particular year amongst the young guys, my friend decided to incorporate "cups" into the end of the year party for the team. She used CLEAN AND NEW cups for dip, salsa and condiment holders on the tables. She even bought cups and tied balloons to them (the cups anchored the balloons to the table) for the centerpieces. It was hilarious to see the guys reactions. I wonder what Martha Stewart would have to say about my friend's choice of "baseball decor"?

Didn't She know they Test Try on those Cups to see if they fit at the Factory.

OOOOOIm BAD, I'm sorry, I couldn't Help Myself. Please forgive me.

That was SOOOOOWroooong MISTER. the EH. Exiled Poster On HSBBW?
Junior started wearing one when he was 5 [not b/c he was a prodigy or anything Big Grin , he just always saw me put one on before I played, so he just figured it was part of the uni. First time he took a knock of his, while he was catching in a machine pitch game, he had a big smile on his face when he looked over -- "COOL"
I told him later that it might be that LAST time he said that afterwards!!
Last edited by windmill
Cong - you are a MANIAC!!! Did a similar thing, but I was 20!!! Putting my ice hockey equipment on one day, and guess what's missing?? Since the only thing that I really did worthwhile on the ice besides hit people, was to block shots, I knew I was in trouble. I couldn't see myself dropping down in front of a slap shot, with no protection. 4-5 borrowed T shirts gave me some piece of mind, if not some real protection. I got some strange looks regarding the bulge in my hockey pants though!!! AT 20 years old I already knew that
a) getting hit "there" was no fun, having already cracked several, and
b) preventing the pain was only one reason to wear that thing.
I say Helmet Boy was ahead of his time!
Last edited by windmill

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.