Skip to main content

Here is an interesting thing that was written by Allan Simpson

BRADY HEADLINES BASEBALL SUPER BOWLERS
Wednesday January 30, 2008
Super Bowl XLII is set to be played Sunday in Glendale, Ariz., and typical of past Super Bowls it will have a baseball connection. The New England Patriots have three players on their roster (quarterbacks Tom Brady and Matt Cassel, and wide receiver Kelley Washington) who were selected in the baseball draft. The New York Giants have no former draft picks, but quarterback Eli Manning’s father Archie was drafted several times.

At least 25 players who have performed in the Super Bowl through the years were previously selected in the baseball draft, including the likes of quarterbacks Bubby Brister (Broncos ’99), John Elway (Broncos ’87-88-90-98-99) and Jay Schroeder (Redskins ’88), defensive back Deion Sanders (49ers ’95, Cowboys ’96), wide receiver Mark Seay (Chargers ’95) and running back Cedrick Benson (Bears ’07), who actually played professional baseball. Sanders played in the big leagues.

The list of former draft picks includes a first-rounder (Schroeder, Blue Jays ’79), second-rounder (Elway, Yankees ’81), three fourth-rounders (Marino, Royals ’79; Brister, Tigers ’81; and Mike Prior, Dodgers ’85) and a fifth-rounder (Charlie West, Phillies ’66). Prior, a defensive back from Illinois State who played on the Green Bay Packers ’97 Super Bowl team, is a part of baseball draft history as he was the only player the Dodgers drafted in the June 1985/regular phase who didn’t sign. A team has never signed all its draft picks in the June regular phase.

Led by three Super Bowl MVPs, here are the 10 greatest Super Bowl performers through the years by players who were baseball draft picks:

Ranking. Player Pos., Team Accomplishment Previously Drafted (Rnd)
1. Tom Brady, qb, Patriots Super Bowl MVP ’04; 32 of 48, 354 yards Expos ’95 (18)
2. #John Elway, qb, Broncos Super Bowl MVP ’99; 18 of 29, 336 yards Yankees ’81 (2)
3. Hines Ward, wr, Steelers Super Bowl MVP ’06; 5 rec., 123 yards, 1 TD Marlins ’94 (73)
4. *Dan Marino, qb, Dolphins 29 of 50, 318 yards in Super Bowl ’85 Royals ’79 (4)
5. #Ken Stabler, qb, Raiders 12 of 19, 180 yards in Super Bowl ’77 Astros ’68 (Jan. 2)
6. Joe Theismann, qb, Redskins 15 of 23, 143 yards in Super Bowl ’83 Twins ’71 (39)
7. Antwaan Randle El, wr, Steelers 3 rec./22 yards; 1 kick ret/47 yards; 2 punt ret/32 yards in Super Bowl ’06 Cubs ’97 (14)
8. Russ Francis, te, 49ers 5 receptions, 60 yards in Super Bowl ‘85 Royals ’74 (9)
9. *Marshall Faulk, rb, Rams 17 rushes/76 yards; 4 rec./54 yards in Super Bowl ‘02 Angels ’93 (43)
10. Ray Guy, p, Raiders 7 punts, 42-yard avg in Super Bowl ’84 Reds ’73 (June/sec. 1)

* Played on losing team
# Drafted multiple times; latest draft position noted
-- Allan Simpson

I agree that specializing in one sport is more common in the warmer weather climates, but more unusual in the rest of the country.

Using our state (Iowa) as an example, nearly every player who has been drafted out of high school or gone on to play DI baseball was a multi-sport athlete. Not sure if it helped or hurt them, but here are some examples from the recent past.

BJ Hermson – Highly ranked 2008, signed with Oregon State – All State in Football, Basketball, Baseball
Brent Warren – Highly ranked 2008, signed with Oregon State – Basketball, Track, Baseball
John Gilmore – 1st rd 2007 Braves – Football, Basketball, Baseball
Jeremy Hellickson – 5’11 RHP pitcher – Basketball, Baseball
Ryan Sweeney – 2nd rd, has already played MLB – Basketball, golf, Baseball
Jeff Clement – 1st rd out of USC, has already played MLB – Football, Baseball
Matt Macri – Notre Dame and now on 40 man – Football, Basketball, Baseball
Brad Nelson – Brewers 40 man – Football, Basketball, Baseball
Joel Hanrahan – 2nd rd, has played MLB – Basketball, Baseball
Wes Obermueller – 2nd rd, has played MLB – Football, Basketball, Baseball
Ben Ford – Played MLB – Basketball, Baseball
Cal Eldred – 1st rd, long MLB career – Basketball, Baseball

Could go on with many others. Don’t know if I can think of any who were one sport guys from Iowa. The twelve players above include 6 pitchers, 3 outfielders, 2 infielders, 1 catcher. I consider Iowa an average state FWIW.

BTW… It also holds true the other way around….
Kurt Warner – NFL MVP and Super Bowl MVP – Baseball, Basketball, Football
Tim Dwight – NFL Wide Receiver – Track, Basketball, Football
Kurt Heinrich – NBA Player – Baseball, Basketball
Bobby Hanson – NBA Player – Baseball, Basketball

Not saying one way is better than the other way. Just giving some examples.

Also there are many of the greatest baseball players that played more than one sport, sometimes three sports in High School. Players like Derek Jeter, David Winfield, Bo Jackson, Dion Sanders, etc. Granted those are some unbelievable athletes, so maybe a bad example.

I suppose concentrating on one sport has some definite advantages. However, athleticism is an important ingredient in baseball and it could be argued that playing other sports makes one a better athlete.

IMO, do whatever you want to do. You only get one go around. Either way is just fine. This is coming from someone who once told Kurt Warner he should concentrate on baseball!

Baseball168, Unfortunately in cases like yours decisions can be tough. I hate it when someone has to miss baseball to attend early football practice during baseball season. It's too bad when kids have to make those kind of decisions.
My kid has recently been through the same dilema. After fall baseball, he had to decide if he was going to play basketball (he's a junior) or work out for baseball. At a showcase he was at, one of the coaches addressed this and made the comment "there's no substitute for the competition" that playing a sport gives. Yeah, you can work out, get stronger, etc, and that's all good, but if you still love to play that sport, and you can play at that level, then go for it". That really meant alot to my son.

Also, my bigger concern was burnout. If he was only doing baseball, basically year-round, then I think it would become more of a "job" than fun. They do need a break...
quote:
I hate it when someone has to miss baseball to attend early football practice during baseball season. It's too bad when kids have to make those kind of decisions.
PG, great post. I also hate it when my players are asked to attend spring football practices right in the middle of baseball season. Very often, the best football players are also the best baseball players (best overall athletes) so everyone wants the same kids to concentrate on that coach's sport. We have come to an agreement with the football coach that we will respect each other's programs while they are in season. That means I will not ask football players to play fall ball, nor will the football coach demand that my baseball players attend spring practices during baseball season. Additionally, I will never ask a kid to leave basketball before that season ends. If he is my best player, he will still be my best player after basketball ends.

Every season, we have parents and players in a panic over spring football practices, thinking they will be left out in the fall when football season begins. The fact is, the best players will be in the starting lineup on the football field whether he attends spring practice or not. More often than not, the star athletes play both football and baseball, and excel at both.
My point as I have stated. Being a multi sport athlete which most college BB guys were is not a deciding factor in the BB coaches decision. Yes it made you abetter all around athlete but it comes down to only one thing. Are you the BB player I need for my team. Hopefully all those sports helped you become a great BB player. But its what you are not what you did in other sports. Fungo said it well.
I never told my son not to play any sport he decided on his own. He actually gave up HS BB his last year and focused on elite BB . He specifically wanted to play BKTB since his school was known for BKTB and they had an annual trip to Vegas and Arizona. I supported the decision.
Again the BKTB did not enter into the BB offers. No one evn knew except fot his bios.
I noticed PGs list was mainly quarter backs. That is interesting. I think QBs are the most athletic players as a general rule but that is why they play muti sports not that they are QBs because they were multi sport guys.
Last edited by BobbleheadDoll
PG, I was waiting for you to respond. Great post.

No one disputed the fact that coaches and scouts like athletic players and most likely as stated, more athletic players participate in multi sports. You do not have to participate in year round baseball to get a coach interested, but we all agree you have to have the skills to play baseball.

Geography, IMO plays a big part in your involvment in other sports. Her ein eh southeast, I am not sure how many multi sport athletes you would find heading off to play college bseball. In fact, I found it often that those that do, have trouble playing on the better travel teams as the coaches want full time commitments and those I know who did, never found a place to play on in college in either sport or basrely did after concentrating 100% senior year, just my observation.
My son played volleyball, basketball, s****r, golf and found the time to bowl Smile in middle school. Being that his sights were set on going to college for a baseball scholarship, we took advantage of year round good weather to play outside as often as he could to improve his skills. So do most here, that's just the way it is.
Is this unusual? I don't know, my son went to school in SC and out of the possible 40+ he may have played with over the past 3 years, maybe 6 played other sports in HS. Those players were not native to SC, they came from everywhere in the US. And for some of them, they never became full starters.

PG gave us great examples of those who played football, and baseball but I think that times have dictated we don't find it as often as it once was. In fall you played HS football, in spring/summer you played HS baseball and in between you squeaked in HS basketball or another sport. You didn't have football combines to attend, tournies, showcases, travel teams as you do today, here anyway. I could venture to say if son lived somewhere else where the weather was not as condusive to being outside, he would be busy playing another sport.

Just don't make an assumption that if you put two players side by side, the more athletic player will get the nod, IMO, the better baseball player will get it first.

HS lasts 4 years, take advantage of everything that is afforded to you because that is what you want to do.
Last edited by TPM
quote:
tpm quote:
Geography, IMO plays a big part in your involvment in other sports.

Do you really think our Northern kids sit around and do crossword puzzles when the weather gets bad?

I don't know if you just enjoy getting under the skin of the Northerners with your "better than you" attitude, or, you just don't understand athletics in regard with Northern life, or, a combination of both.
Last edited by rz1
It would be easier to say that our Northern boys work at baseball 12 months per year while also being overall athletes.

Many northern players who just play baseball and go to all the Guru's end up remaining average athletes who are average at baseball.

There is something to say about natural ability and athleticism............let em have some fun.
Not sure what, if anything, this means, but...

Here is something that might interest some people… Some of last year’s Aflac All Americans!
There were a total 38 Aflac All Americans. All of those listed have signed with high level DIs and several will be high draqft picks in June.

Jack Armstrong - RHP – Florida
PERSONAL: Jack's father, Jack Sr., spent six seasons as a major league pitcher with the Reds, Indians, Marlins and Rangers, and was selected to the American League all-star team in 1990. Jack's uncle, Bob Davis, spent 10 years in the NFL as a quarterback. Jack is also a Division-I college basketball prospect, and carried Jupiter High to the playoffs as a junior guard in 2007.

Xavier Avery – OF – Georgia
2007: Thanks to his speed and exceptional athleticism, Avery was an all-county performer on the football field as well as Cedar Grove High's varsity baseball team as a junior. He stole 47 bases and batted .668 with five home runs. In the fall, he rushed for more than 1,000 yards and racked up more than 500 yards receiving as Cedar Grove's starting running back. He also picked off one pass as a defensive back. Avery was ranked by Baseball America's Prospects Plus among the top 20 prospects in attendance at Perfect Game's National Showcase in June, and was also a standout for the East Cobb (Ga.) Braves travel team.

PERSONAL: Avery is the latest in a long line of athletes from his family. His mom, Stacey, was a track star in high school, and his dad, Teddy Griffin, played basketball at Alabama State. His older brother, Maurice, played football at Memphis and currently plays arena football. Avery carries a 3.8 GPA.

Tim Beckham – SS – Georgia
PERSONAL: As a freshman and sophomore, Beckham was an all-county performer in football as a wide receiver and quarterback, and also played basketball at Griffin High. His brother, Jeremy, plays baseball at Georgia Southern.

Andy Burns – SS – Colorado
PERSONAL: Burns is a three-year honor athlete who maintains a 3.9 GPA. He also played football for several years and in 2006 was named first-team all-state and team MVP. He plans to work on the school newspaper staff this fall. When he was 8, Burns went to the All-Star Game in Boston and competed in the MLB diamond skills championship and won the 7-8-year-old level in 1999. There, he shagged balls for Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire, among others. Burns celebrates his 17th birthday Aug. 7. He was born in Clemson, S.C., moved to Lexington, Ky., then Fort Collins when he was 8.

Gerrit Cole – RHP – California
PERSONAL: Cole is active in community service, and has volunteered at the Children's Hospital of Orange County. He enjoys surfing, playing golf and playing acoustic guitar in his spare time. He has committed to UCLA. He considers Lou Gehrig his role model in life and Derek Jeter as his role model in baseball

Jarred Cosart – RHP/OF – Texas
PERSONAL: An exceptional student and well-rounded individual, Cosart maintains a 4.0 GPA and has several AP classes in his coursework each year. He also plays basketball and swims competitively. He has won multiple 50-meter freestyle relays. Cosart also plays the saxophone and is active in community projects.

Brett DeVall – LHP - Florida
PERSONAL: DeVall also excels in basketball and played at Rutherford High as a freshman before opting to concentrate on baseball. He carries a 3.5 GPA. The oldest of two sons of Lowell and Nancy DeVall, the family moved to Niceville, Fla., following Brett's junior year at Rutherford. Lowell played college baseball at Pittsburgh as well as in the minor leagues with the Washington Senators organization. Brett wears No. 45 in honor of Bob Gibson.

Wes Freeman - OF – Florida
PERSONAL: Freeman maintains a 3.4 GPA. He enjoys music and plays guitar and drums. He also enjoys golfing, bowling and aerobic exercises. He's the youngest of three children of Mark and Denise Freeman. His oldest brother serves in the U.S. Coast Guard and is stationed in Surfside, Texas, and his middle brother serves in the U.S. Navy and is stationed in Yokosuka, Japan on the USS Kitty Hawk.

Sonny Gray - RHP – Tennessee
PERSONAL: Born in Nashville, Gray has committed to Vanderbilt. He also plays football, and led Smyrna High to the state Class 3-A title as a junior in 2006 as its starting quarterback. He was named the state's make athlete of the year.

BJ Hermsen – RHP – Iowa
PERSONAL: B.J. is short for Brett Joseph. Hermsen owns a 3.9 GPA and scored a 24 composite on the ACT. His high school team's' record was 72-8 his first two seasons on the team. He also stars in football, and led West Delaware to a 12-1 record and Class 3-A runner-up finish as a quarterback. Hermsen was a two-year starter on the basketball team, too.

Aaron Hicks – OF – California
PERSONAL: Hicks was an avid golfer as a child, having won tournaments with scores in the mid-70s, before, as a 12-year-old he chose to give up the sport and concentrate on baseball. Began switch-hitting in Little League at the behest of his father, Joe, who was a four-sport letterman at San Pedro (Calif.) High and played professional baseball in the Padres organization. Aaron's sister, Audrey, also attends Wilson High, where she plays volleyball. Aaron also played basketball as a freshman and sophomore, being named the team's defensive player of the year both seasons.

Destin Hood – INF/OF – Alabama
PERSONAL: A standout receiver and defensive back on Saint Paul's football team, as well, Hood was an all-state selection in 2006 as a junior. He was listed at No. 13 in the Mobile Press-Register's list of the state's top football recruits, and has been recruited for football and baseball by a number of Atlantic Coast and Southeastern Conference programs. He was awarded full tuition at Saint Paul's for his senior season based on his strong academic performance.

Taylor Jungmann – RHP – Texas
PERSONAL: Jungmann maintains a high GPA. He was chosen as an all-district basketball player as a wing forward as a junior at Rogers High.

Garrison Lassiter – INF – North Carolina
PERSONAL: Lassiter also plays football and basketball at West Forsyth High. He was raised by his parents in a church parsonage where he and his brothers would play in baseball fields located just outside their front door. He has committed to play baseball at North Carolina.

Kyle Long – 1B/LHP - Virginia
PERSONAL: One of three sons of National Football League Hall of Famer Howie Long, Kyle comes from an athletic family. His brother, Chris, is an all-American defensive end at Virginia, and his younger brother, Howie Jr., is a rising junior at Saint Anne's-Belfield, where he plays quarterback on the football player and is a standout lacrosse player. Kyle has been recruited to play football at a number of major Division-I college, though he has committed to play baseball at Florida State. He was a first-team all-VISAA offensive tackle as a junior in 2006. He was born in Santa Monica, Calif.

Ethan Martin – 3B – Georgia
PERSONAL: Martin was considering accepting a scholarship offer to play baseball at Clemson, Georgia Tech and North Carolina. He's also been recruited to play football by school such as Northwestern, Miami, Georgia Tech, Army and Brown. He was the starting quarterback for Stephens County as a junior. His brother, Cody, is a year younger and a high school teammate of his. His father, Terry, played football and baseball at Nyack (N.Y.) College and is currently the head softball coach at Piedmont (Ga.) College. Martin's mother, Robin, played basketball Toccoa Falls (Ga.) College.

Tim Melville – RHP – Missouri
PERSONAL: Melville was born in Alexandria, Va., but moved to Wentzville prior to his freshman season in high school in 2005. He hit .380 as a freshman with four homers and 21 RBIs, and on the mound was 5-1 with a 1.09 ERA 71 strikeouts and 16 walks in 45 innings. He also runs cross country and plays basketball and is a self-taught guitar player.

Alex Meyer - RHP – Indiana
PERSONAL: Meyer, who is known as "Bubba" to friends and family, also plays basketball, starring as an all-conference center on Greensburg High's varsity team as a junior. He maintains a 3.0 GPA and has been recruited by several Division-I colleges including Kentucky, Louisville and Michigan.

Ricky Oropesa – 3B – California
PERSONAL: Oropesa's father, Alfred Oropesa, played baseball, football, basketball and track in high school and played college baseball and football. Alfred's father, Efrin Oropesa, was a member of the Cuban national track and field, baseball and basketball teams in 1948.

Kyle Skipworth – C - California
PERSONAL: Rubidoux High changed its name to Patriot High following the '06-'07 school year. A good athlete, Skipworth also played quarterback in high school as a sophomore and junior, but will not play football as a senior. He has committed to Arizona State. He has a sister, Heather, 30, and brother, Spencer, 28. Spencer is presently serving in the Army in Iraq. Skipworth does not have a driver's license by personal preference.

Brent Warren – OF - Iowa
PERSONAL: Warren overcame a rare heart condition that required open-heart surgery in December of 2006. Unsure if he'd be able to return to baseball, he was cleared in March to resume physical activities and has made a significant recovery. He also stars on the basketball court and runs track.

Austin Wright – LHP - Illinois
PERSONAL: Wright played football, basketball and baseball from the time he was 5-years-old, but recently quit narrowed his concentration to baseball solely. Wright's mother, Kristy was a cheerleader at Southern Illinois in college. His favorite athlete is Roger Clemens.
quote:
Originally posted by rz1:
quote:
tpm quote:

Do you really think our Northern kids sit around and do crossword puzzles when the weather gets bad?

I don't know if you just enjoy getting under the skin of the Northerners with your "better than you" attitude, or, you just don't understand athletics in regard with Northern life, or, a combination of both.

rz,
I am so sick of your ****! I am so sick of you picking apart everything and turning it around, you got serious issues.
You know what I meant. I am not going to argue with you, in the end, only makes you look sillier.

PG,
I would venture to say most every athlete likes to compete in other sports.

Nice list.
Last edited by TPM
quote:
tpm quote:

How can that be taken any other way except by meaning that those that live in better weather are more involved in other sports. Confused

You sure can put down others opinions but when you're called out it's a whole different game.

How can you say I have issues, you don't know me.

Anyone who posts here that I disagree will get a reply so don't put yourself on that pedestal also. The message board is here to give opinions, advice, and just plain jabber between posters. If you can't take the heat get away from the fire.
Last edited by rz1
rz,

I took it to mean exactly the opposite in that those that live in the better weather are afforded a better chance to play baseball year around and kids in the not so good of weather play more sports other than baseball.

TPM, keep throwing your opinions and ideas out there, I appreciate them and although I cannot speak for other people, I personally think that you are one of the greatest resources on this website for baseball knowledge. Thank you for sharing it with us!!
quote:
I don't know if you just enjoy getting under the skin of the Northerners with your "better than you" attitude, or, you just don't understand athletics in regard with Northern life, or, a combination of both

I am a Northerner and did not take what TPM said as a personal insult to athletes here, nor did I think she put herself on a pedestal by posting what she did.
Last edited by playersmom
Thanks hooperhop and playersmom that you understood what I was saying.
We have to adapt to the weather also. Mine played indoor basketball during summer, not in HS as he spent the time on the baseball field, that was his passion. Surfing, swimming and golf during summer. He actually wanted to join the golf team in HS, but that conflicted with fall ball and early season baseball. So he played many sports, but not on the HS level.

Geography does play a big part in your involvement in other sports that you get acknowledgement for playing in HS.
Last edited by TPM
I didn't interpret TPM's comments the same way rz1 did. I am relatively new, but I have noticed on this site that a lot of the advice is filtered through the experience of the giver, which is a strength of the group. Sometimes it is also a weakness, and when it gets testy, I think we just need to step back and realize this and explain our position rather than attack. In my very first posts, TPM aggressively countered my statements. I don't think it ever got personal and I just responded to try to more fully explain my position. I think by the end of the dialog, I understood her points. I hope she understood mine.

On the actual question of the thread, I think several things may influence the multiple sport question, including geography and school size the most. We live in the land of the ice and snow in a rural school district. Just about every good athlete that has moved on from this area to play in college has played multiple sports in high school. It doesn't seem to hurt their chances of moving on, as many have played at the next level.

My closest experiences are with my two oldest children. My daughter played three sports in high school and is now a junior in college (volleyball, basketball, softball). My son is a senior in high school and plays two sports (baseball, ice hockey). Both have been accepted at their first choice schools, including getting to be part of the athletics programs in their favorite sports (volleyball and baseball, respectively). In both cases, their participation in multiple sports in high school was not considered a problem by their college coaches. In my son's case, they seemed to think it was a good thing, in fact. Ice hockey is great for staying in shape over the winter when you can't play baseball here. In both children's cases, their high school off season work was still in their favorite sports (lots of club volleyball for the daughter, no summer ice hockey or roller hockey for the son - concentrate on baseball, etc.) Both expect to be working at the profession for which they are getting a degree (rather than athletics) when they are done with school. I guess that may influence the decision as well. If you think you are going pro, you may want to focus on one sport.
Some excellent points made in this thread....I think there are many factors that come into play regarding this decision.

Based on our son's experience, here is my high level 2 cents:

If you want to go pro (and objective 3rd party evaluators [i.e. scouts] think you have the talent), I would focus on one sport.

If you are an athlete, and want to enjoy the HS experience, play as many sports as you can.

Here is the tough one....you are NOT one of those "high level DI/pro level" caliber baseball players BUT have the ability/desire to play college ball. I subscribe to the philoshophy of being proactive in conatacting college programs/coaches and get the right exposure opportunities. This usually means you will need to attend the right showcases/camps in the summer and fall. Which ultimately means you would "probably" have to forgo a fall sport, at a minimum.

I personally think there is no one right/wrong answer to this question. Too many variables......
good point jbb..

My kid is playing varsity basketball now, but will miss three days the week of the 18th. He's going to the PG NJ state showcase on the 18th, going up to a college in RI for a mini-camp on the 21st (leaving after dinner on the 20th and staying over), and going to a NJ college mini-camp on that Sunday the 24th (there may or may not be a basketball practice that day). Having said that, he hasn't missed one practice or game up until now.

He's going to talk to his basketball coach about it, but the coach already knows he plays baseball. Coach made snide remark to son at first practice saying he was lucky he made the team considering he didn't go to any basketball camps in the summer. Since the basketball coach isn't a teacher in the school, he's pretty much focused on just hoops, and doesn't care too much about working things out with the baseball priorities.

I'm very curious to see how the coach reacts to this. I would hope he would be supportive and wish him good luck, but I suspect it will be a somewhat chillier response...
goMO he obviously needed yours son. My son never missed a practice or game in BKTB nor did he miss a BB practice or game. He would often run his tail off at BKTB and shower and head right to BB practice. Both very gruelling workouts. It was his chaoice. If he didn't commit to both he would be cut. The BKTB team was the higest level in Canada AAAA. They won districts the years he played and went to the Ontario championships one.
No other BKTB player played BB on his team. The HS was aBKTB power house. The coach retired my son's last year and coaches a 4A HS in Bulls Head Ariz and took them to their 1st state championship in 40 years. My son's HS team visited them in a tournament and kicked their butts. Nice guys !
Last edited by BobbleheadDoll
Some people are suggesting that if you don't play year around baseball you will be at a distinct disadvantage with regard to skill and development. In addition we read about the regional disparity: inferior northern kids vs southern and western kids
as a result of this purported fact of life.

Well, I think the year round debate is not as clear cut as some infer. There is a strong body of evidence that kids arms need rest, specifically the pitchers, and in fact the large number of TJ surgeries for young pitchers is due to over use and year round activity (what percentage of these surgeries are for southern-western kids vs northern? My guess its not even close.) There is also the burnout factor to consider from not giving it a rest (point of reference: just because something may not have happened to your son does not mean it doesn't happen, trees do fall in the woods no matter your experience.)

Finally, I believe Illinois ranks fifth in major league players and maybe it is partly due to northern kids having a higher ceiling on their talent because they are still on the development curve unlike their southern and western peers. PG may have some thoughts on this final point.
Last edited by igball
igball,

My thoughts often tend to get me in trouble.

Good players (the very best players) can come from anywhere. Sometimes they concentrate on baseball year around. Sometimes they play all the sports.

Maybe someone could research all of this and come up with some better answers. Personally, I don't see any big disadvantage in playing other sports. However, some have improved greatly by playing year around.

So in the end... Guess it's a big... I don't know!
My son and I talked a couple nights ago. He has for the 1st time had pain in his shoulder. He has always been an all year player.
I asked him when he noticed this twinge in his shoulder and he said last summer while he was playing collegiate ball. That is the 1st summer he had what I refer to as a slack workout period. His 1st few pitches have a twinge until he warms up. The trainer thinks it is a swollen bicep tendon rubbing on the shoulder bone. He takes anti inflamatory pills and extra stretching etc and it appears to be going away very slowly. He said it is worse when he takes time off so he throws regularily now and is feeling much better. Any time you raise your arms above the shoulder you risk injury even if you don't stress your arm by throwing. My son blames it on not working out last summer as much as he is used to.
Northern players have equaled things up because they workout all winter and they do it to level the playing field otherwise they would kick back and not bother.
I think we should explicitly recognize that a player's age and level of baseball significantly affect the desirability of participating in multiple sports. A professional player likely shouldn't participate in other organized sports; a 12 year old probably should. So is there a definite age or grade boundary after which a player should specialize on one sport only?

Obvious boundary possibilities are entry into high school or entry into college. My opinion is that specializing during the freshman year of high school is too early; most kids are still developing physically, emotionally, and mentally, and I believe there is real value to baseball development by playing other sports. And, for some kids, the other sports are fun!

I suppose that most athletes will specialize in college. So should a player focus on baseball only during his junior year to enhance his chances of playing college ball? I really think there are too many variable factors to suggest a blanket rule.
IMHO, pitchers are a different animal. I do think they need some rest and recovery time.
While burnout can certainly be an issue, I still stick by my comments from my last post.
Position players (my son is one) who are NOT high caliber (pro prospect/high DI) but have a desire to play at the college level need to maximize their exposure opps............
quote:
Position players (my son is one) who are NOT high caliber (pro prospect/high DI) but have a desire to play at the college level need to maximize their exposure opps............

jbbaseball, I think our son was one of those covered in your post. Confused
He played high school football and baseball for 4 years and had some athleticism.
By the time he graduated from high school, he only had one DI seriously consider him, although an Ivy did consider him for both sports.
At the end of his DIII college career, he was a pro- prospect and did get drafted. Where you are in high school in baseball does not correlate well with where a player might be after college, in our experience.
I have read nearly every post in this thread. Very interesting because more than 90% of them seem to respond in terms of what a DI coach might think, and most of us aren't coaches.
In the way in which showcases have become the standard part of recruiting for baseball, my view is that two and three sport high schoolers probably will be impacted in being seen by some programs at the higher DI levels.
What isn't known is whether having played only baseball and having gone to the showcases would have made a darn bit of difference to those same DI coaches.
For the post that started this thread, I don't believe playing 6-8 extra games in basketball during your sophomore year will make any difference in how your son is viewed later as college prospect.
For those who play multiple sports, to the extent it reduces your ability to showcase and play travel ball, it will impact exposures at some schools. Again, whether you would have been on their radar had you played one sport(baseball) and done showcases/travel ball is any one's guess.
For other DI coaches, if they can project that the player has upside in baseball because they played multiple sports before and will concentrate on one in college, they will find a spot.
A multiple sport player in high school, who improves in college when they concentrate on one sport, can still have upside and opportunities beyond college, even if they don't come from a DI.
To summarize, where you play in college probably does depend on whether you play multiple sports, the extent to which they impact travel ball and showcasing, and how much you want to worry about it.
Whether you play in college, and beyond, depends on talent, hard work and good coaching.
Last edited by infielddad
infielddad,

i always enjoy your posts. maybe because you are from Ca. LOL, or really maybe because my son seems a lot like yours out of highschool. you have posted many times in response to my posts and are always encouraging. my son played every sport through 8th grade including competitive swimming. he was in love with basketball but at his hs the team (which is very good this year) had played together since like 1st grade. and they were a talented group. they lined every player up at freshmen tryouts and no one made it under 5'9. my son was 5'3 so he decided not to go out and at that time just decided to concentrate on baseball. he did play in rec leagues for basketball.. what he has enjoyed is working with a trainer and he does a lot of different tyes of activities as well as his weights, it has really helped his athleticism, he has gotten stronger . his high school coach and him work out together at 530 am three days a week, the coach told me that he is in incredible shape and that all the traininghas really payed off. So I think it is different for everyone. as one of the posts always say on the botttom play two sports until the talent convinces you not to. (something like that).
quote:
as one of the posts always say on the botttom play two sports until the talent convinces you not to. (something like that).

Tee hee,..hey,...... I think thats me! Big Grin
( Got it from the HSBBW when I asked the same original question years ago. )

quote:
My question was in your experiences, do college coaches value a player's ability to play multiple sports at a high level and be an exceptional athlete, or do they like the year-round baseball player?

Every coach is different and so is every player/athlete. There really is no right or wrong answer. Depends on the situation,.... lady luck, stars, and moons.
My sons both played many sports and have been offered college scholarships in two sports each. Are they super studs? No,..but they work hard.

I think that all we can do is tell our stories/experiences and let everyone decided for themselves what is best for them. Hope that doesnt sound wishy washey, but I just cant say that what was good for us will be good for others.

But I will also say that I am a believer in
" Where there is a will, there is a way ". ( and alot of coaches, employers, teachers who supported and helped to make these dreams happen. )

I had the same concerns in the very begining and asked the same questions years ago that baseball168 is asking. I found comfort in knowing that others had multiple sport athletes and that things did work out at the end of senior year and with their college plans.

Here's a true and recent story.
For what its worth:

Son was at a DI hitting baseball camp recently. Hitting live and hitting off a T.
Head coach and hitting coach came over to him and said, " We see you like to hit the ball. "

Son says, " Yes sir. "

Coaches then go on to say, " Heard you like to hit hard too. "
( Referring to son playing football and leading team in tackles )

Son says, " Yes sir! ".

Head coach says with a grin, " Uh-huh,..we like that mentality kid! Keep it up. "

Cool
Last edited by shortstopmom
The truly superior atheletes, like the AFLAC players PG listed, will be great in most sports they play. All of them could have gone to major schools in the other sports they play if they wanted.
Obviously there are no absolutes in this discussion. What works for one kid may not work for another. And I do think that geography and the culture of an area plays a role in this.
The choice should be the kids. If he loves playing basketball he should play basketball even if it limits his workouts for baseball. On the other hand if baseball is his first sport and he decides to not play basketball because it interferees with his BB workouts good for him.
I also agree with those who said that the best baseball player will get recruited regardless of how he became the best baseball player. Whether by playing 6 sports or only baseball.

And rz, I, like others, think you are way off base in interpriting TPM's comments. I think you took them totally the opposite of what see meant.
quote:
And rz, I, like others, think you are way off base in interpriting TPM's comments. I think you took them totally the opposite of what see meant.

Another personal spanking. Rumor has it the pm's have been rolling and I've been kicked off the Island. I guess I should keep my opinions to myself from now on.

Doubt that will happen
rz1,
At least you have a great opportunity to take out your frustrations moving the 18" of snow onto the snowbanks that are already too high. This is a topic that always seems to evoke some emotions. I just think we have to remember that there's more than one way to make this process work.

My son (like so many in the frozen northwoods) played three sports. It limited his ability to go to every showcase or play fall ball but we tried to take advantage of any opportunity that fit into his very full schedule. When he looks back now - in his soph season - he says that he wouldn't have played football. He gave in to the football school mentality - and actually didn't really like it that much. He has no regrets over basketball at all. I think mostly because he loves it and basketball did help him develop an athleticism that was definitely attractive to his college coaches. Of course, he has a pitching coach who is one of the few people in the world who won a basketball final four championship and has a World Series ring.

rz,
Hope all is going well for your son - and that the snow melts on the UIC turf in the next month!
quote:
Of course, he has a pitching coach who is one of the few people in the world who won a basketball final four championship and has a World Series ring.

wisbballmom,
I'm racking my brain trying to figure out who your son's pitching coach might be. Can you tell us who he is? Is there actually more than one who has done that?
quote:
rz1,
At least you have a great opportunity to take out your frustrations.....

The word on "PM Street" must be that I'm frustrated. Someone please keep me updated on my mental state so I can know where I stand, and take the appropriate measures to make myself a "better person".

You wonder sometimes how these rumors get started.
Last edited by rz1

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.