Skip to main content

In the Upper Midwest most D2 schools only fund between 3-4 full scholarships ( the institutions could fund roughly 9 at D2 level. Parents and players often get offered $500-$2,000 first year for athletics.

There are of six D1 schools in the five - state area and three fund roughly 9 full scholarships.
Not the 11.7 max.

Also please know that only 27 players on a D1 or D2 roster can be "on money" and the other recruited walk-ons number takes up to 8 to get you to a max roster of 35.

Much more aid at NAIA level is our experience then D2 schools because of easier rules including larger roster sizes ( we have seen up to 60 on the varsity and jv roster) gives NAIA as most are private schools as well. They also have an
allowance for fall game schedule.

My son accepted a D1 package at 40% with another 1k per year for 4 yrs. minimum bases on ACT score to take a $15.4 k annual t, r and b bill down to around 8k for first year. After January 1 school might give out more merit or scholarship money but not likely.

Most schools will tell parent and athlete that they will at least stay at recruited percentage and could go up. The reality is if your son isn't performing he won't play and there can be subtle and overt pressure to take your act elsewhere.
quote:
Originally posted by 3FingeredGlove:
The NCAA only regulates the number of equivalencies. But lots of colleges need to consider the dollars, and I guess a majority of D1 schools don't even issue 11.7 scholarships.

However, since the actual cost to a college is about the same regardless of the state of residence, the internal accounting may charge the baseball program the same amount of "dollars" for in state or out of state players. Unless a player is on a full ride, the college receives more money by admitting out of state students, so it may benefit the college to not charge the baseball program more money for out of state players.

Wow, that clears things up. Never even considered this. Thanks 3FG.

quote:
Originally posted by TPM:

bballman,
Son's NLI said "% of grant in aid".

Makes sense. Thanks.
Great question. I asked that a year ago; I think the answer is 'no,' there is no real database.

And now that we are done with the process, I realize it would not have had much of an impact in how we went about his college search anyway. There were schools that were fully funded, and schools that had only 4 or 5.

In the long run, what matters is who is going to recruit you and is it the right place for your son. Knowing that college X only had 4 scholarships but was a great fit for academics and baseball, would that knock it off the list? On the other hand, knowing a school is fully funded gives absolutely no assurance that your son will get any of that money.

So, just "fish in the right pond" as Fenway loves to say. As far as money goes, look at schools where he is likely to get some academic money, and work as hard as he can to also get some baseball money.

Good luck. This is a good thread, lots of helpful info.
quote:
Originally posted by 2Lefties:
is there anyway to find out what programs or funded and/or how many scholarships they have available ???

First to 3Finger, thanks for answering. As fundamental a topic as this is, a lot of us just don't understand the rules.

As to the exact numbers each program has, I believe this is a carefully guarded secret when it comes to equivalency and even more guarded when it comes to budget dollars.

When my son was looking, we were told not to spend a whole bunch of time in California at the state schools because they simply couldn't afford to offer the out of state $'s. It wasn't the 11.7 issue it was a $ issue. Most didn't even recruit out of state (unless the kid is very special, and mine wasn't).

This fall, my son (freshman) was asked to write a thank you letter to a woman in Tucson who "paid for my scholarship". Based on brief text messages and some sleuthing, she picks some players she likes and donates money to the program to subsidize their scholarships.

At the time my son was going through the fall ball anguish of making it / not making it. He mentioned this request in passing. I told him he just met his guardian angel and suggested when they finally meet he give her a very big hug.
Last edited by JMoff

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.