Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I think this is part of why guys are deciding they don’t love the game anymore. They are realizing that the team they are supposed to run through a brick wall for changes every year. Their best friend is expendable. They are expendable. There isn’t school pride because you likely will not spend your entire career at one school. It’s not the game they fell in love with growing up.

@TPM posted:

Coaches will have more work to do but I believe most will stick to their plan.

They, the NCAA, had no choice.  Either open up the portal or face a law suit.

Who created the problem?

Who created the problem? That’s an interesting question.

The current problem in youth, HS, and college baseball was created by a combination of things. Kind of like a casserole. In no particular order the ingredients are travel ball (for profit), scouting services (for profit), helicopter parenting, entitled kids, poor coaching/instruction (for profit), a planned worldwide pandemic (for profit), horrible NCAA rulings post Covid (for profit), the transfer portal, NIL (for profit), and MLB shrinking the MiLB system (for profit).
“For profit” applies to seven of the ten things I listed. So I would say that the main ingredient of the baseball problem casserole is greed - seasoned with a healthy amount of stupidity.          

Just my opinion - but it’s a very informed opinion

Of course, that also means there are 4000 spots on teams that are now vacant.  Obviously some won't have chairs when the music stops, but some will have taken the place of another person on that list.

How many of those are seniors/grad students looking for a place to play? The D1 portal is 25%+. At least half of those will likely not find an opportunity worth pursuing (no money, location, level, etc) and hang up the cleats in exchange for a suit.

How many of those are seniors/grad students looking for a place to play? The D1 portal is 25%+. At least half of those will likely not find an opportunity worth pursuing (no money, location, level, etc) and hang up the cleats in exchange for a suit.

Was just about to post about this. Yesterday when there were ~1,429 kids listed in the D1 portal (taken from d1baseball.com) there were 267 kids listed in the classes of GR or SR. This isn't accounting for kids listed as JR but were redhsirt  JR's that graduated.

So maybe you have 20-25% in the D1 portal that have graduated? How many just put their name in just to see what's out there? I know this is the case with my son. Right opportunity he'll play otherwise he's moving on.

Be interesting to see the D2 and D3 numbers as well.

Not trying to minimize the number of players in the portal or the state of things today. It's the wild west and IMO sucks.

This has also created a cottage industry of "portals" cashing in (for profit). My son was in the grad portal for less than 24 hours and started receiving emails from d1baseball's new partner saying "coaches are asking about you sign up to our site to find out more". Of course that isn't true, as they would have contacted him directly, and I'd place a pretty large bet that everyone in the portal received similar emails.

I keep seeing some version of "50% of players that enter the portal never play again". Maybe, but why? I think one big reason is what you mentioned with grad students.

There are definitely incentives for certain people, companies, coaches, etc  to present the data in a way that's favorable to them, as there is in any industry.

“There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.”

The NCAA has published data about transfers from 2021, 2022, and 2023:

https://www.ncaa.org/sports/20...transfer-trends.aspx

It's for all sports, but you can break many of the categories down and look just at baseball.  Two of these:

What are the outcomes for Division 1 students entered into the transfer portal (baseball, 2023):  49% transferred to a new member school, 7% withdrew from the portal (assumed to have stayed at existing school), 44% still in portal (includes may have left sport)

What is the divisional destination of successful D1 transfer portal entrants (baseball, 2023):  76% D1, 22% D2, 3% D3 [[yeah, it adds up to 101%!!]]

They also break down the number of undergrad vs. grad entrants who found another school, this was in all sports; for 2023 it was 8767 undergrads (67.3) and 4258 grads (32.7%).  They note that this number should drop once the covid eligibility extensions end.

Last edited by anotherparent

The NCAA has published data about transfers from 2021, 2022, and 2023:

https://www.ncaa.org/sports/20...transfer-trends.aspx

It's for all sports, but you can break many of the categories down and look just at baseball.  Two of these:

What are the outcomes for Division 1 students entered into the transfer portal (baseball, 2023):  49% transferred to a new member school, 7% withdrew from the portal (assumed to have stayed at existing school), 44% still in portal (includes may have left sport)

I'm sure you read it, but for people that didn't; That 44% can include players that have transferred to a non-NCAA school like NJCAA and NAIA.

Various snakeoil salesmen online playing the FUD angle with the 51%. Reality is more than 50% of the players that entered the portal continue playing. And of the remaining some percentage stopped playing for various reasons, but most probably had the opportunity to play *somewhere*.

Last edited by nycdad
@nycdad posted:

I just found out that my son's school (doesn't affect my son) was able to get a full year back for 2021 as well. They were the last D1 school to play their first game in 2021, but didn't think this was a thing. The conference didn't get another year, just the school.

Do you mind sending me a DM with info about this?  It may be helpful info for a client of ours who is trying to get a waiver due a shortened season in 2021. 

Regarding the original post and that link, I believe that the intention of that ruling (which I believe is another action forced on the NCAA by one of these many lawsuits being filed against them) is for athletes who had to sit out for a season due to the transfer rules that were previously in place AND as long as that athlete did not for some reason have the chance to participate in four full seasons in their sport. 

Because so many college athletes were given a 6th year on their eligibility clock, and because most athletes probably had the chance to get their four seasons of playing eligibility within that 6-year period (if not 5), I really don't think this ruling is going to help that many athletes.  If they had the chance to compete in four seasons, I don't believe that ruling will help them, even if they did have to sit out a year under the old transfer rules. 

Regarding the original post and that link, I believe that the intention of that ruling (which I believe is another action forced on the NCAA by one of these many lawsuits being filed against them) is for athletes who had to sit out for a season due to the transfer rules that were previously in place AND as long as that athlete did not for some reason have the chance to participate in four full seasons in their sport.

Nice post!

Because so many college athletes were given a 6th year on their eligibility clock, and because most athletes probably had the chance to get their four seasons of playing eligibility within that 6-year period (if not 5), I really don't think this ruling is going to help that many athletes.  If they had the chance to compete in four seasons, I don't believe that ruling will help them, even if they did have to sit out a year under the old transfer rules.

Thanks, Rick. I have seen several tweets by D1 baseball players recently saying that they were unexpectedly ineligible for a D1 transfer, so they were transferring to D2. The ones I googled seemed to start at D1 and leave after one semester for juco, then transfer back to D1, and they were looking to transfer again. Maybe this will allow those guys to (potentially) transfer to D1 after all.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.