Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My info is based on my looking into USF. Good Coaches. Have met head coach and Pitching coach. Good baseball guys, good men, direct, honest, have no problems with them. USF is in the heart of the city by Golden Gate Park. Baseball facility's are not exactly modern but have everything that is needed. Tuition, books, & room and board run about $39,000.00 per year. USF is in a good league and the coaches are pushing the program to improve, should of been in the play-offs last year. I personally really like the coaching staff and would have no problem sending my son there.
Both have good academics, are Jesuit(I think that is correct for St Mary's) and about the same total cost. Not too much similar after that.
USF and St Mary's are members of the WCC so they compete with San Diego, Loyola Marymount and Pepperdine, amongst others. Very high quality baseball played in the WCC.
USF has upgraded their program significantly in the last 3-5 years. Now are fully funded, play a very good schedule and have had considerable success with players being drafted. Also place a lot in summer leagues. School is on a hilltop in SF. They have had a problem with their field as it is in a heavily populated neighborhood, cannot be adjusted and some neighbors apparently have become irritated with balls flying into their yards. Good school, good academics and an improving baseball program in a great city. Coaches are developing a local reputation of getting the most out of their players and helping players improve their skills. Weather is an issue for some as they can get quite a bit of fog.
St Mary's is much more rural in the suburbs of Moraga(30-45 minutes from SFO). Beautiful campus. Baseball field has had drainage issues but I understand they are fixing that. Recently discontinued football and are supposed to commit a percentage of those revenues to baseball. Campus is very quiet and to get places you need a car. Program has struggled in the WCC for years. New coaching staff is enterring their 3rd year. Teahan played under the former coaching staff who recruited very well actually but just could not produce a winning baseball.
Last edited by infielddad

Would echo the prior posts...

Have had close contact with both programs. Can't go wrong in either instance...

IMO....Both posess quality straight up coaches. Both are winning programs on a variety of levels. Both offer quality academics and are truely comitted to graduating players. Would send my son to either without any hesitation.

Random thoughts...IMO....USF is an urban environment. SM is quite rural...I am told that the SM drainage is fixed...Love both but splitting hairs, IMO SM coaches are professional, USF are family...Unsure of SM pitcher development but USF is rated as one of the best on the west coast if not the country. They get more development/growth out of their pitchers than anyone. Coach Moore the USF pitching coach is as good as anyone...Don't think it's a stretch to say that SM program was in shambles a few years ago, players leaving. School recomitted to baseball in a big way hiring an very impressive hard working young coach who simply oozes class and success...Like Cal who is just down the road SM has comitted to recruting predominatly locally and if you look at their '06 signs SM has verballed an impressive impressive NorCal talent this fall...USF had an amazing year last year and should have made the NCAA's...at this point neither have impressive diamonds...

As I said would be happy and comfortable to have my son in either program.
As a parent of a player who has faced both teams, I would echo most of what observer44 has said. Both programs are solid and seem to be well-coached and aggressive. From my perspective (from the opposing side), it seems like SF is a bit 'scrappier' and hungry to win. SM has some great talent, too, and seems VERY committed to fielding a team that can compete at the high D-1 level. If you want to know more about that program, send a PM to MrandMrsBaseball, as her son is currently in on the team. Good luck with your decision!
Last edited by URKillingMeBlue
College of Marin (COM), where my son is a RHP, played last years USF team several times and COM fared relatively well. Of course don't know whether USF had their best players on the field at all times. Several COM players were picked up by USF on scholarships.

A USF ballplayer to make it to the MLB is Jesse Foppert drafted by SF Giants, played several years, suffered TJ injury and had surgery. Was traded to Seattle Mariners just this year for Randy Winn - OF, SF Giants now.

COM has at the coaches level some close contact with both St Mary's and USF. Last year COM had players from St Mary's and USF come back to the JC level to play.

Would I send my son to USF; for academics yes, for baseball, maybe, don't know the coaches.
Last edited by Ramrod
quote:
Without he kind of recruits that their competition gets

O44, interesting comment. Wonder what that means? Do their coaches work harder to find the diamond in the rough, do they do a better job of developing players that have skills but don't showcase well, or is it something else.
I know you meant it as a compliment. I am not naive, in a certain sense, Cool as they were still pounding the pavements for players in late July after my son had graduated from high school. What is it their coaches do that others don't, if anything? BTW, not sure the SJS coaches with Pirarro don't do the same! How about Kevin Frandsen as proof?
quote:
Originally posted by CollegeParent:
Ramrod

I've meet the coaches several times and they are great guys. I have never heard a bad word about them and I would not hesitate to let my son play for them as I believe they will do the "right thing" for their players.

I've saw USF play several times last year and they were very good.

Even though I spend time posting here, it's solely for my own entertainment.

Other than supporting my son's showcases and international travel tournaments I haven't been envolved in the recruiting process.

USF could be a possible school he might look at, but he told me he is looking more to finishing up at College Of Marin and then going to Sonoma State or Arizona State.
Last edited by Ramrod

Infieldad...

Could be wrong, have been before will be again...soon...but since you asked this is the way I look at it...

After looking at a schools and recruits for a number of years it is interesting to see which programs consistently get the top/high profile recruits and don't seem to improve them or the programs much and other programs who don't manage to get the top kids and somehow continue to produce top flight players. IMO patterns can be seen.

Lots of reasons why school are still pounding the pavement in July, Frankly I figure that due to the urban nature of the USF facility it may be a tough place to recruit to as well as the cost of the education. IMO the incredible success of the program it is a reflection of both the coaches level of skill and the kind of character of the kids they recruit and sign. Having been there I can tell you that the environment created by that program and those coaches is simply different than most. Incredible team feel. Incredile family feel.

Yes, SJS looked a few years ago as if it was really ready to step up - and did for a year - but circumstances changed things. I am hearing that all is right once more. Should be really interesting to see what they can develop and sustain over the next few years. And Yes, I think they have a harder recruiting than many...
Until they start winning big again.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.