Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by GHHS-2016LHP:

Actually, CIF-SS (SoCal) has already made the change. No pitcher can throw more than 10 innings (thirty outs) and/or make 3 appearances in a calendar week (defined as Mon-Sat).  Also, no practice, game, or scrimmage can be held on Sunday during the regular season. Pretty sure that's still in effect.

So what if a kid were to throw... I don't know... Say 191 pitches across his 10 innings?  He'd be within the above rule, right?

Yep, sure would.  Didn't say it was perfect, just said it was addressed.  My opinion:  You'll never be able to "administer" the abuse (or whatever anybody wants to call it....geez) out of baseball at any level.  You can only hope to entrust your player to a coach that will put the player's best interest above win-at-all-costs mentality.

VHSL (Virginia) revised HS pitching rules in 2013:

For the purposes of this rule, delivery of one pitch constitutes having pitched in one inning.

A pitcher may pitch in a maximum of nine innings in one day but not more than fourteen innings in any seven day consecutive period.

If a pitcher pitches in one inning for four consecutive days that pitcher shall have one calendar day of rest from competition pitching beginning with the day following the fourth consecutive day a pitch is thrown.

If a pitcher pitches in two or three innings in one day that pitcher shall have one calendar day of rest from competition pitching beginning with the day following the first day a pitch is thrown.

If a pitcher pitches four to seven innings in one day that pitcher shall have two calendar days of rest from competition pitching beginning with the day following the first day a pitch is thrown. Further restrictions regarding this section include:
‐ After two days of rest a pitcher may pitch a maximum of two innings.
‐ After three days of rest a pitcher may pitch a maximum of three innings.
‐ After four days of rest a pitcher may pitch to the limit of the rule.

If a pitcher pitches in eight or nine innings in one day that pitcher shall have three calendar days of rest from competition pitching beginning with the day following the first day a pitch is thrown.
‐ After three days of rest a pitcher may pitch a maximum of two innings.
‐ After four days of rest a pitcher may pitch a maximum of three innings.
‐ After five days of rest a pitcher may pitch to the limit of the rule.

This limitation applies to regular season as well as post season play.

This very subject (Pitching Limits) was discussed right here on HSBBW:

http://community.hsbaseballweb...pitching-regulations

Originally Posted by cabbagedad:

I think maybe y'all are missing the thinly veiled point of the OP.  150 is generally considered far too many but if that is the guideline that those in charge decided to post, there would be more coaches likely to push pitchers up to that stated guideline. 

This was the point, I believe. It's always been my problem with inning limits (not saying we shouldn't have them). Many coaches won't educate themselves or properly analyze individual pitchers, but simply treat the inning limits like another strategy of the game with the idea that if the limit is 150 pitches, then 150 pitches must be ok.

Wow I had no idea the pitching guidelines are that bad. I guess my idea that no kid should pitch more that an MLB player (approximately 1 game 100 pitches every 5th day)  is just plain silly. I know that there isn't the pitching depth on these teams . So here's how it goes coach says "Hey kid I know you were the last kid I selected for this team but,guess what it's your turn to pitch." Parents need to lay down the rules if  coaches can't use common sense. If the parents don't have common sense either then I feel bad for the kid.  I will have a talk with my sons coach if this problem arises. You know why because I have my sons best interest in mind.

Inning limits are meaningless.  The LL pitch count limits in the ASMI position paper that JH linked to are reasonable and workable.

I was in the middle of my two boys LL careers when pitch counts were put into place and a lot of managers kicked and screamed for a season or so, but then everybody figured out how to manage their staffs and it all worked out fine.

14-16yo - 95 max per day
17-18 105 max per day.

31-45 pitches = 1 day rest
46-60 pitches = 2 days rest
61-75 pitches = 3 days rest
76+    pitches = 4 days rest

It has been a while since I saw that document with all the HS regs by state.  Forgot how bad they are.  All but Vermont use innings instead of pitch count. And you have to ask why many bother.  Many basically allow 10 innings every two days.  A kid could pitch three extra inning games in a week and be well within the guidelines.  If he's battling thru 20 pitch innings, that could be 600 pitches in a week!  ALL WITHIN THE GUIDELINES!!

Average innings allowed per week across 30+ states that declare is about 21.  Three full games!  And gotta love Louisiana - "shall be determined by the Principal".

I'm surprised California is actually one of the most conservative at basically 10 innings per week.

Last edited by cabbagedad

When I was a high school senior (played against Fred Flintstone) I started one game (completed them all) and closed the other game half the time all season. Warming up for closing was rotating my arm while standing in center and eight tosses from the mound.

One time I pitched a complete game for the 9th grade team on Thursday and my Babe Ruth team on Saturday. This was the "suck it up" era. Fortunately I never hurt my arm. 

But now that information is more readily available I wonder how many kids are subjected to this kind of ignorance.

Last edited by RJM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.