Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by dad43:
Patriots

Broncos

Green Bay

Seahawks

Now if your are smart you go bet heavily the exact opposite of my picks....you will be very wealthy Smile
Is it the George Costanza philosophy of betting? If every instinct you've ever had has been wrong, do the opposite.
quote:
Originally posted by RJM:
quote:
Patriots

Broncos

Green Bay

Seahawks

Now if your are smart you go bet heavily the exact opposite of my picks....you will be very wealthy Smile
Is it the George Costanza philosophy of betting? If every instinct you've ever had has been wrong, do the opposite.

RJM no,just trying to make my fellow HSBWEBers a few bucks.....totally based off my current trends.....
I'd eat a little crow but it probably ought to be Falcon. Great comeback by the Hawks...and the Falcons. The Seahawks' poor start certainly lends credibility to RJM's theory about consecutive cross-country road trips. I'm disappointed, but given the comeback, also proud of my team's effort. The Hawks should be a team to be reckoned with over the next few years....
Honestly, with the way the Seahawks were moving the ball with relative ease with Wilson, that big tight end, Tate, and Lynch when needed it's really a miracle they didn't beat us into the ground. Up 20-0 at halftime to have to come back and win by a FG at the end? That says a LOT about both teams good and bad.

Give the Seahawks another good WR next year and man they are gonna be heavily favored to go far. What else do they need..?? Nothing IMO.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RJM:
quote:
Patriots

Broncos

Green Bay

Seahawks

RJM no,just trying to make my fellow HSBWEBers a few bucks.....totally based off my current trends.....

Hopefully you all listen to me and bet the opposite of me.....my wife made a ton doing the opposite
I will open the next rounds predictions since I'm batting .500

49'ers will win the NFC Championship in something of a blow out. It'll be a 10+ point win.

The Patriots and Ravens will play a very interesting game, with New England narrowly beating Baltimore despite blowing a big lead late.

The 49'ers will then go in as a 2-5 point favorite and cover in the Super Bowl. They have too many weapons...

Disclaimer: I've been a Patriot fan since the '70's so I've seen "2-12 good years". Losing another Super Bowl c/would be painful.
Matt Ryan not only saved his team with his last two completions, but also saved his reputation as playoff choker a IMO. Other than the first drive of the 2nd half he did nothing but throw a bad interception. Kudos to him for getting it done though.

And did Mike Smith go brain dead on his last two calls of the game. A timeout with 13 seconds to go. Don't you let the clock run down to 3-5 seconds? I guess he got caught up in the excitement. Then an onside kick to give Seattle the ball one completion from a field goal. Crazy stuff. If there is an explanation for either one I haven't heard them.
fillsfan - Not sure it is really an "explanation," but I heard Smith (backed up by one of the talking heads on one of the post-game shows - sorry I can't remember more - who put the blame on the kicker, Bryant) say after the game that there was no intent to attempt an on-side kick and that miscommunication was responsible for their lack of execution on that kickoff. No idea about the timing of the FGA - I wondered exactly the same thing.
quote:
Originally posted by fillsfan:
Matt Ryan not only saved his team with his last two completions, but also saved his reputation as playoff choker a IMO. Other than the first drive of the 2nd half he did nothing but throw a bad interception. Kudos to him for getting it done though.

And did Mike Smith go brain dead on his last two calls of the game. A timeout with 13 seconds to go. Don't you let the clock run down to 3-5 seconds? I guess he got caught up in the excitement. Then an onside kick to give Seattle the ball one completion from a field goal. Crazy stuff. If there is an explanation for either one I haven't heard them.
I can understand not wanting to risk a sack. But a quick out could have made it an easier 40 yard attempt. If the rush was heavy throw it away. But either way the kick should have been the last play of the game.

The onside kick allowed for a heave to the end zone. Anything could have happened including pass interference. Since the game can't end on a penalty the Seahawks would have a gimmee chip shot field goal to win.
quote:
JMoff posted....I will open the next rounds predictions since I'm batting .500. 49'ers will win the NFC Championship in something of a blow out. It'll be a 10+ point win. The Patriots and Ravens will play a very interesting game, with New England narrowly beating Baltimore despite blowing a big lead late. The 49'ers will then go in as a 2-5 point favorite and cover in the Super Bowl. They have too many weapons...

Disclaimer: I've been a Patriot fan since the '70's so I've seen "2-12 good years". Losing another Super Bowl c/would be painful.

JMoff - You and I are on the same page on this one. I've seen this movie before (Groundhog Day), and the 49ers do have too many weapons for anybody left in the tournament. I don't think the Pats defense matches up well against the 49ers if they are lucky enough to make it. I've also been a Pats fan since the '70s. All day long, I've been channeling my inner Grogan, Hannah, Cunningham, Nelson, Haynes and mini-Mac Heron. Wink

I'll take a Bill Belichick coached team with two weeks to prepare for a QB who has never been there every time.

Over the last seven weeks of the season (aka AT ... after Talib) the Patriots were 10th in yards allowed and 5th in points allowed. Yesterday the Patriots defense absolutely stuffed the Texans until the score was 31-13 and they went deep cover two.

Talib has been a difference maker. McCourty and Arrington were brutal on the corners. Talib took over one corner. He schooled a rookie, Dennard how how to be aggressive and successful. This allowed McCourty to move to safety where he got an All-Pro vote. Arrington was moved to nickel/slot corner where he has also played very well. The front seven is solid. My only concern with the front seven is Spikes or Hightower on a deep route covering a back. But then again, the 49ers have a lot to worry about with the Patriots offense.

I go back to Parilli and Nance aka the clown years. One year I went to every game of a pathetic season. We would walk to BC where they played and sneak in. Security was weak. I think they wanted people sneaking in. It wasn't any harder to sneak into BC games.

I remember Carl Garrett turning the corner for 41 on a 3rd and 38. Another time I remember him going under water turning the corner into the end zone in a downpour. Mike Taliferro was the quarterback. Plunkett followed along with Vataha (and the 88 yard td pass rather than running and punting). I was at the snow ball game against the Vikings at Harvard Stadium the previous year.
Last edited by RJM
quote:
Originally posted by fenwaysouth:
I've also been a Pats fan since the '70s. All day long, I've been channeling my inner Grogan, Hannah, Cunningham, Nelson, Haynes and mini-Mac Heron. Wink

I'm right there with you, also channeling my inner Eason, Flutie, Plunkett, Ferguson, Forte, Ivory, Martin, Nance (yes I go back that far), Tatupu (Sr), Brown (Troy), Cappelletti (Ok my dad told me about him), Morgan, Stingley (RIP), Vataha, Coates, Hasselbeck (Sr), Armstrong, Gray, Adams (Sam), Harrison, Law, Buoniconti, Bruschi, McGinest, Tippett, Vrabel, Seymour, Vinatieri.

I'll admit having to ask Google for some help with my memory.

If we could pick a few of these guys in their prime and join them with the current team, we'd have a chance...
...and my opinion in baseball speak is that the sign for "onside kick" should've been less like the sign for "squib kick" or the execution should've been a whole lot better.

I hate the squib kick for this very reason. If you don't want a return, pop it up high and make somebody fair catch it 40 yards down the field. Do that and Seattle wins the game (IMHO).

And to RJM, I'd take Belicheck and two weeks versus just about anybody else, especially after playing them once but you need the horses. He won't be out coached and no QB will run for 200 yards, but I'm not sure NE can beat SF.

I hope the game actually happens first then I hope I'm wrong.
Last edited by JMoff
quote:
I'd take Belicheck and two weeks versus just about anybody else.

Except the NY Giants of course. NE can't beat the Giants. After watching these playoff games, what I take away is that had the Giants been at their best, they could've gone back to the Super Bowl. They were far better than SF & GB and both got a Giant beatdown this year. Atlanta got them back this year but still think Giants would've beaten them in playoffs. It should've been a rematch of all four teams from last year but not to be.
Last edited by zombywoof

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.