Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Not into the olympics. They're boring. The only event I ever got into was the USA vs USSR hockey game and that was because of the cold war and the US vs the Russians and all and watching a bunch of amateurs beat a bunch of pros who were supposed to slaughter everyone. That's all gone. The summer olympics, forget about them too.
I only watch the Super Bowl for the commercials as I really do not like football. I may never watch a Super Bowl again. This year's SB commercials were boring and I especially didn't like the recurring "henpecked men" theme.

But the Olympics commercials? Some of them have been hilarious! For the first time, we are finding ourselves not DVRing past the ads and actually looking forward to them! I'm thinking that the SB ads have become far too expensive and that companies looked ahead to the Olympics right around the corner and realized they could reach a much larger audience at a fraction of the cost?

One of my favorites...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSn5Z7EC4ME
Last edited by sandlotmom
While the Olympics are advertised as a "sporting" event, I feel that there are two under lying things that happen during these 2 weeks.

1. Patriotism- Many take it for granted, but the Olympics sends that chill back up your spine and reminds you what "side you're on" every time the music plays and the flag goes up.

2. The other guy- So often we hear of the war torn, famine stricken, weather demolished countries of the world. While my heart goes out to them, we forget about the countries and people that are enjoying their time on earth. When an athlete, from lets say, Sweeden, steps on the podium, waving a flag with tears in their eyes, I get a little choked up because it shows that this Earth is not all about the "bad", there is a lot of happy people here.
Last edited by rz1
quote:

Originally posted by rz1:

1. Patriotism- Many take it for granted, but the Olympics sends that chill back up your spine and reminds you what "side your on" every time the music plays and the flag goes up.

RZ

Every time Old Glory goes up and the national anthem begins it NEVER gets old to me. Chills run up my back and I get choked up. It makes me proud to be an American, and I'm extraordinarily proud of these athletes.
I can watch any skiiing event. It's exciting to watch when you can see the athlete is nailing it. Hannah Kearney's freestyle run was exciting. When she finished she knew she nailed it. While not a major upset, it was an upset beating Jenn Heil the favorite and defending Olympic champion. I can also watch any snow boarding, speed skating event, and hockey. I love watching the X Games oriented ski and boarding events.

If you've never been to an Olympics it's hard to understand the feeling of just being there. It makes you proud to be an American. You'll attend almost any event to be part of it.

When the Olympics came to LA my roommates wanted to rent out the house and use the money to go to Europe. We stayed and had two incredible weeks of fun. We went to at least two events a day. Whether at events or at the beach where we lived it was a two week party. I have to admit I didn't have the issue the police had with the European women topless on the beach.

The best party I ever attended was at the LA Coliseum. When I hear Lionel Richie sing "All Night Long" I can still visualize being at the closing ceremonies. 100,000+ fans and athletes from countries all over the world were all dancing together.

quote:
Every time Old Glory goes up and the national anthem begins it NEVER gets old to me. Chills run up my back and I get choked up. It makes me proud to be an American, and I'm extraordinarily proud of these athletes.
Absolutely!
Last edited by RJM
I really enjoy the Olympics. Athletes competing for their country is about as good as it gets. While I don't have interest in all the competitions (ice dancing is a sport?)I find the ones that are races to be very enjoyable. One of my favorites is relatively new, Snowboard-cross. Watching those four racers competing against each other is great, and I wish a few more sports would try it. It's a little like NASCAR on snow.
quote:
Originally posted by biggerpapi:
Get the professional athletes out of the Olympics.
That boat left the docks long ago. There wasn't a way to define from country to country what who a professional athlete and who wasn't. Go back a few years and attempt to convince anyone the USSR hockey team was just a bunch of guys in the Army playing hockey. Then there was all the endorsement money being placed in trusts. It became a farce. Now there's no question the best from each country have the opportunity to compete.
i;m a little ashamed to say i live in a sking state and i can't ski.
my wife and i went a long time ago, beginner lessons on the bunny slope....i aced it. i said take me to the top,i'm probably never going to do this again, so lets go. well, i hit everything but the lottery coming down that mountain. learned some new road sign's. i thought huh, a black diamond let's try this run. i have a ton of respect for anything to do with coming down a mountain on your feet.

curling, ahh i've been training for the sport all my life. Big Grin. Bryant gumbel had a piece on real sports on curling. pretty interesting, the canadien guy signs somrthing like 200 autographs a day. there is a celebrity.

i do love rooting for our country in these events. even ice dancing.

did anyone notice there are lot's of foreigners in the olympics?
quote:
Wonder how Corona mixes with curling?
Corona will curl your stomach. When we were young we would go over the border to drink in Tijuana, Rosarito Beach and Ensenada. Corona was the cheap beer. Actually, I'm just ticked I didn't think to import it, stick a lime on the top and overcharge for it.
Last edited by RJM
I've always thought that the Olympics were supposed to have events replicating ancient activities. The sports were either human-powered such as running and jumping or involved crude tools, such as throwing a stick or a big rock.

I'm not sure how that correlates to the winter Olympics. I guess skiing, sledding and ice skating can all fit into that.

But I don't think basketball, hockey, golf or even (sorry!) baseball, belong in the Olympics.

I should take back the hockey comment because without the 1980 Miracle on Ice, we wouldn't have one of the greatest sports events ever (and a darn good movie)

However, my problem with these sports being in the Olympics might have more to do with them having all the professional athletes.

I really enjoy hearing the stories about the obscure amateur athlete who toils their entire life to make it to this one great stage. Especially, when one of them knocks off the bigger, stronger favorite in the event.
Last edited by biggerpapi
quote:
I've always thought that the Olympics were supposed to have events replicating ancient activities. The sports were either human-powered such as running and jumping or involved crude tools, such as throwing a stick or a big rock.

I'm not sure how that correlates to the winter Olympics. I guess skiing, sledding and ice skating can all fit into that.
The Winter Games are part of the modern era. The first Winter Games were in 1924 in Chamonix, France. After every Olympics, summer or winter there's a conference to decide which events stay and go.
quote:
What about Shaun White? I've never been a big fan of the half pipe, but that was a pretty awesome display he put on. Gotta hand it to him, he's an incredible snowboarder.
Shaun White is so far ahead of everyone else in his field you would notice even if you didn't know the sport or the announcers were telling you. White is also a world class skateboarder. Lindsey Vonn wasn't bad for skiing on one leg.

I read today snowboard pipeline is the second most watched Olympic event after ice skating.
Last edited by RJM

"those curling guy's are taking it on the chin.another tough loss. i'm expecting woody and i will get the call soon."

Let's go big 20daddy!

I brought the styling gel...did you bring the extension cord?

I tell ya'...this training regimen is grueling. Tangling and untangling this confounded cord.

I'm beat, I need some energy big 20daddy...do you have a church key? I hafta' chug one before we get started...

I've got a shortcase...care for a couple?

Last edited by gotwood4sale
Mark me down as a Shaun White fan! I'm not into snowboarding, but when I saw that clip of him slamming his head on the edge and shrugging it off, I knew he was special.

It doesn't make any difference what the game is, the very best at anything are fun to watch. Even if they have long hair! Big Grin

I take that back about watching the best being fun, forgot about Curling.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.