Skip to main content

Hey! Quick question. I’m in Michigan, high school. Is anyone familiar with the ruling on pitch counts and finishing a batter. Example: pitcher finished batter 1 at 49 pitches. Does the pitcher now only have one pitch left if I want him to only have 1 days rest or can he continue to pitch to batter 2 and go over 50 pitches essentially finishing the batter going over 50 pitches but still having it count as 1 days rest? I can’t find the ruling anywhere besides finishing a batter if they go over their daily max

Last edited by GavinAkaJeter
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It says:

6. What happens if a pitcher reaches the maximum daily pitch count limit during an at-bat?
A pitcher that reaches the maximum daily pitch count limit is allowed to continue pitching until the batter has completed his time at bat or the inning is over before the at-bat is completed. There is no exception to finish the batter as it applies to the required number of days of rest.

I think the part I put in italics is what you want, but I don't know what it means.

It says:

6. What happens if a pitcher reaches the maximum daily pitch count limit during an at-bat?
A pitcher that reaches the maximum daily pitch count limit is allowed to continue pitching until the batter has completed his time at bat or the inning is over before the at-bat is completed. There is no exception to finish the batter as it applies to the required number of days of rest.

I think the part I put in italics is what you want, but I don't know what it means.

Yeah, that’s about the only closest thing I’ve read. I might have to email Mhsaa and have them clarify or maybe even specify it better in their rule books.

I read it as, if he reaches the max daily limit he can finish the batter. He cannot finish the batter if he reaches a specific target days rest threshold. So if 1-49 is one day rest (49 and one day is nuts!) and he throws pitch 50, he is sitting for 2 days.

IMO I hate the pitch count rules. Lucky to get 3 innings with one pitcher if you want to save him for next game (usually Tuesday and Thursdays.)  so if I read the rules right he has to stop at 50 for a days rest but if he reaches 105 he can finish that batter.

1-25 no days rest

26-50 1 day

51-75 2 day

76-105 3 days

@auberon posted:

And this is the reason we need pitch count rules. Does MLB have pitchers throw >3 innings and then pitch again with 1 day rest? Of course not. Do you really think HS pitchers should have a higher workload than MLB pitchers?

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but IMO pitch count rules (as defined by pitch smart or under NFHS) only prevent the most egregious cases of abuse. They've become a crutch and scape goat for bad and lazy coaches.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.