Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You should always find out in the bull pen which pitches are working for you that day.
I don't like seeing a KB thrown into the mix because it can be the one that ends your game. Make a mistake and you will regret it. A dificult pitch and you are either a KB pitcher or not. The KB is a totally different pitching motion and dosen't help you gain arm strength.
In the bull pen loosen up and throw you pitches that are working full out a few times before hitting the mound.
You are better to have a couple pitches that are working well than have 3-4 that are not working well.
17, senior. Four pitches, fastball (and 2 seam), changeup, curve, and slider. most pitching coaches will tell you not to mix a curve and slider but if thrown properly and with distinction, having both can be an advantage. I work from 85-87 but have hit 89 on the gun. To be successful in most high school leagues you only need to be able to have command with your fastball and an offspeed pitch you can throw for strikes. 80+ is an advantage, definitely.
I'm 17 and a junior and i throw 3 pitches a 2 seam and very rarely mix in a 4 and then a knuckle curve it just works the best for me and a circle change. my fastball tops out at about 88 maybe 89 and my curve at about 70 to 75 and my change about 60-65. But just a little world of advice for you younger kids don't think that just making varsity is throwing gas because good varsity hitters can hit the fastball. So develope your off speed and hit your spots and you will be good to go.
I'm a 16 year old sophomore. My pitches are very simply, a fastball and a change up. Some may think that I would need to throw hard to be effective considering I only use two pitches. That is just not true. I'm honestly not sure how fast I throw, but if I had to compare my self to others who have been gunned I would say I'm in the low 70's. Velocity is important, but location is VERY underrated. If you can hit the outside corner then when the batter steps closer hit the inside corner you will be VERY succesful.
The Baseball factory informed me at a Camp (So. Md.) that the National varsity pitcher avg. is 77-80. I am a sophomore and this past weekend was at a tournament and was radared 81-83 hit 85 once, I am 16 and throw 4 seam and 2 seam fastball 12-6 curve, change up. In our tournament this year there was a kid we faced who was 16 and hit 89. And about bubble's post, 93 is very unlikely for a 15 year old but not impossible, anyone heard of Robert Stock in California. He was throwing 95 at late 15 years old and is a better catcher than pitcher, one of the reasons he doesn't pitch as much is because they can't find a catcher that can catch him because he throws to hard.
If by "average" you mean the fast ball velocity of the 5th out of 9 pitchers on the typical high school team, that's about right.

If by "average" you mean the typical pitch thrown in a HS game, that's wishful thinking for the velocity-challenged. That's because maybe half or more of the innings are usually thrown by the top 2 guys on the team, and then maybe 2 more guys throw another 35-40%, and the rest of the staff gets an inning here or there. The guy who throws under 80 may never pitch at all.

In our district (7 teams, AAA), we have one kid who throws 90-92 and four who are in the 85-89 range. There are any number of kids in the 81-84 range. At the low end of that range you will get pummeled unless you have Maddux-type control, movement or off-speed stuff. (Or maybe just a classic "crafty southpaw".) In high school, it's easier to find hard throwers than Maddux types. Lots of big strong kids, but it would be expecting a lot to demand that a teenager truly master the art.

If a kid is throwing 78-80 as a freshman, he can look forward to maybe building to 85-86 by his senior year, which is good enough to be # 1 or at least # 2 on most teams. But you may have to wait your turn and take your lumps on the way up.

You'd still better learn how to PITCH. Even the guy who throws 90-92 has gotten burned some when his location is off, when he hangs a curve, or when he pitches behind and has to come into the hitting zone over and over.

I can't speak for other parts of the country or for smaller (A or AA) school districts, but I can say that the above also tracks what we see in travel ball.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.