Skip to main content

It's a very good magazine and until someone comes up with names that are missing then the conversation is pointless talking about no-name kids from no-name HS. I don't see how on some threads people bring up kids name's over and over and on some they are petrified to state a kids name. I don't see the harm is saying a kids name that should be on the list or who you think is a good player, i also don't see the harm in naming the kid that supposadely only played 4 innings. That is a fact, not something negative. Gets childish when your saying well there's PEOPLE that din't play varsity baseball and there's other PEOPLE that I know are good and should be on there. If you seen a player that is good, let us know.
quote:
Originally posted by nc42dad:
I might have mentioned at one time that when I was in high school in AZ there was a similar magazine. The difference was that they didn't rank the players 1-100. They basically just identified the "Players to watch" by conference - it was less controversial.

Great point nc. The main flaw in PBR's ranking system, aside from not including the entire talent pool, is the total lack of definition. What makes #1 "better" than #4...glove, bat, arm...what? Is a big arm more valuable than a big bat...or vice versa? At least with other high school sports, media publications break the talent down to either offensive/defensive catagories or, better yet, by specific position which eliminates a great deal of ambiguity.

Nevertheless, the "Players to Watch" system is a far better approach should one need to exist.
Hi Alco, I think the point that you mention is obvious. If you go to PBR showcase, you have a better chance of being mentioned. However, by the time the 2009 season is over, the 2009 class should be pretty accurate because by then all of the scholarship and outside showcase information will be in. Also, each player will have completed at least two seasons of varsity baseball.

What I don't get is why would it harm a player if someone posts on here that he is good and should be considered. Maybe I am missing something so please let me know.
ALCO is correct...you would have a better chance of being mentioned but in fairness to PBR having showcases is a way to see players, so catch 22..I prefer to play in quality tournaments against quality teams.

I also agree that names should not be mentioned unless it is to point out an achievment or commitment.

so...RR - I will PM you the names and wont mention them on here now because it appears I am saying they should be ranked and I AM NOT SAYING THEY should.
quote:
Originally posted by Nails:
It's a very good magazine and until someone comes up with names that are missing then the conversation is pointless talking about no-name kids from no-name HS. I don't see how on some threads people bring up kids name's over and over and on some they are petrified to state a kids name. I don't see the harm is saying a kids name that should be on the list or who you think is a good player, i also don't see the harm in naming the kid that supposadely only played 4 innings. That is a fact, not something negative. Gets childish when your saying well there's PEOPLE that din't play varsity baseball and there's other PEOPLE that I know are good and should be on there. If you seen a player that is good, let us know.

You just don't get it, Nails. Those of us in the position of authority and trust simply refuse to expose our players and/or students to the perils of the internet. To do so would be a total breach of our relationship with these young men and families. I have seen what happens when a kid's name is brought up on this website and will not personally subject any of those I'm familiar with to the same scrutiny. Their game will speak for themselves.
quote:
The main flaw in PBR's ranking system, aside from not including the entire talent pool, is the total lack of definition. What makes #1 "better" than #4...glove, bat, arm...what? Is a big arm more valuable than a big bat...or vice versa?

I keep hitting on this radar gun thing but too much of this rating pitchers (not just PBR) is too weighted on gun readings. You know, I am sure they try to factor "pitchability, projectability" in rating these kids but you see people drooling over some kid who throws 92 mph for couple pitches at a showcase ranked much, much higher than some kid who throws mid to high 80's with 3 quality pitches. If you list them both as "Pitchers to watch" versus ranking them, it would be a much fairer system. If a coach came to watch either of them, after about 3 picthes he would understand why they were on the watch list in the first place.
NCdad,
Gun reading is very important in projecting kids to the next level. Out of all the D1 college committments so far, please let me know if you know of any Pitcher that's right handed that throws softer than 85 mph? You can get HS outs throwing slower and even get college outs but your chances of getting outs at the higher levels increases the harder you throw.

Bravescoach,
I don't think you get it. Kids names are published in these magazines and on websites but you can't say their name on a message board? I think more people see their name in the PBR magazine than people seeing them on here. And we already talked about how people can't say anything negative about the kids or they will get reprimanded so I don't think there's going to be someone tell you a player you named is Bad and doesn't deserve to be mentioned. If your so concerned the kid isn't getting recognized in the PBR magazine you'd actually be helping the kid out by putting his name on here and stating that you think he's good and was someone that might have been missed. Go read some posts, there's a ton of names on here. There's a list of 50 kids names on this thread. To act like this forum ruins a kids confidence or that your protecting him from the "perils of the internet" I think your exaggerating it a little too much. Fact is your kid or kids aren't on the list and your offended, move on. They obviously miss kids or have a different opinion than you.
Nails is right on this one. Whenever a player makes a verbal commitment to a school, someone announces it here. Typically, others chime in offering their congratulations. Nobody replies to that email saying that the kid doesn't deserve it. I guess it did happen one time recently and the post was immediately taken down.
I understand where people can get frustrated because a kid that throws 80mph with 3 good pitches is better than the kid throwing 87 with no clue. But that's how it is, there's a ton of 5'7 150 kids that are better players than the 6'2 180lb kids but colleges and pro scouts love the tall guys and they love the velocity.

As for PBR giving reasons for why some kid is ranked higher than the next or give a formula behind the rankings that is a very dumb suggestion. Nobody gives formula's for why they rank kids, draft kids, etc. It's their opinion on what they think is a good player. There's probably a ton of things that come into play and each thing probably isn't weighed equally for every kid. This isn't a computer system ranking, it's human beings. If a kid isn't on there be patient he might not have been seen yet. Like I said i'd like someone to argue the 2009 class list, the players on it are very deserving IMO. The only people getting caught up in the numbered rankings is the parents, the only people bashing or pretending to protect the kids is the parents. I'd love to hear what a kid has to say about this, they'd probably laugh.
quote:
Gun reading is very important in projecting kids to the next level. Out of all the D1 college committments so far, please let me know if you know of any Pitcher that's right handed that throws softer than 85 mph?

Nails - Yes I do. I remember being at some Big Ten game(s) and seeing their pitchers consistantly throwing 83/84.
Debating a player's qualities is unacceptable. Saying a player is good and should be a player to watch is positive. Let's address the problem where the problem lies. That's like saying, "Don't say anything positive about another person, because someone may contradict it." I don't buy that. The people on this forum will be quick to correct anyone who says something negative about a kid.
RR,
Good point. And you might have seen a kid throwing consistently 83/84, but I can guarantee you that the same kid probably touched 86-87. Like I said, let me know what 2009 committee that's a RHP throws under 85. I realize what you pitch at is different than what you can touch occasionally but like I said. All the committed kids can touch over 85 on the radar gun. Velocity matters, college baseball is ALOT different than HS baseball.
Nails-

First off, I feel like you are twisting what I am saying. I started out comparing one pitcher who throws mid to upper 80 versus a kid who pops 92 a couple times at a showcase.

I was not talking about a kid who popped 85 and lives at 83/84.

So you want to know if anyone has seen a RHP get a D-1 deal who has never popped 85?

Ask a kid/parent/magazine newspaper & generally what they report on velocities is a kid's pop time. Just because a kid hit 90 two times in a game does not mean he "throws" 90, but that is what they will tell you. I've been behind a radar gun quite a bit and I tell it like I see it.

Maybe you should go to a Big Ten game with a radar gun and see for yourself.
I don't need to. All I am saying is velocity matters. Pop time refers to catchers so your throwing me off a bit. But I very much understand that what pitchers pitch at is different than what they touch during a game. Either way velocity more times than not wins out. i am in agreement with you that a kid that throws mid 80's with 3 quality pitches would be more successful. But you know as well as I do the kid that hits 92 occassionaly is going to have double the offers. That's all i was saying.
Last edited by Nails
Ok, Here’s my two cents on PBR and the player ratings. Generally, I think that if your child or others (whether you be a parent, coach, relative or just a habitual commentator) are ranked high on the list, or high enough, in your opinion, and others are ranked where you think they should be, you’re pretty happy. If your child is not ranked where you think he should be, or not at all, you’re not. Pretty self-serving but pretty accurate, I bet. There have been and undoubtedly will be more heated discussion on this topic, every time PBR shuffles the deck and produces “new and improved” rankings. My take on it is it just doesn’t matter, and probably doesn’t justify the energy or the passion contained in the discussions.

Without interjecting any personal opinions or experiences with PBR as an entity or a ranking service, or discussing my own child’s ranking or lack thereof on this or any other ranking service, my feelings are thus. Throughout the recruiting process this summer, and with respect to every student-athlete questionnaire I filled out, and every conversation I had, I did not hear, nor did I see any comment about player rankings, be they from PBR, Perfect Game or anyone else (yes, that includes you, Nails). There was no allotted space on any form after ACT and SAT for PBR. Not one coach or scout ever inquired of junior’s placement on a ranking service. No college coach ever told me “Sorry, we might have sweetened the offer, had it not been for the PBR ranking”. I am certain that most college coaches, especially those outside the immediate area, have no idea who or what PBR is, though most would certainly be aware of Perfect Game. I asked our high-school coach the other day if he was aware of PBR, and he was not. So for the purposes of college recruiting, (I purposely omit professional recruiting because, let’s face it, very few of us expect our children to be drafted high enough to forgo college, or to be drafted at all) I would deem PBR’s rankings for the most part meaningless, unless you are PBR, and your subscription base is dependent, or at least enhanced, by it. At the very least, there are many other attributes about the prospective student-athlete that will carry more weight throughout the process. I personally would like to see some of the energy expended here redirected toward those attributes, and the road to obtaining them, i.e. those with more purpose and effect. Those of us who have been through the recruiting process (some more than once) could perhaps discuss the importance of appearance, sportsmanship, interview skills, GRADES, and a good player-profile, for starters.

As to the accuracy of the rankings, I would think it would be relatively easy to rank the top 10 kids in the state. Beyond that, I think the brew requires a lot of subjectivity, many opinions of varying worth and substance and a dash of guesswork to get the desired taste. I am unsure that the issue of projectability comes into play in these rankings as previously stated, as the most talented and experienced college and pro scouts struggle with this issue, and I can’t imagine that PBR has a handle on it.

In closing I would like dedicate this post to my dear old friend, Sully, and to my hopes that his suspension is short-lived. I was just preparing a 5-page thesis on my reasoning for his incessant defense of Mrs. Ormond’s abuse of the internet for her son’s own personal gain (she has stated this purpose before, look it up) when he was stifled. Not much sense in the jab, if he can’t respond to it. Come back soon, Sully!
JKennedy, from my experience schools will not offer anything (with few exceptions) to a player without observing them play. And, yes there is no spot on the recruitment form for PBR ranking. However, it does get the player on a list for schools to look at. It is just one, of many, methods of getting your foot in the door. Also, please look at University of Illinois' roster. You will see direct quotes from PBR. That has to implicate something.
Jkennedy,
Why you bringing me up? I am not the one complaining about the rankings of players in the magazine, I am defending his right of an opinion.

And for a HS coach to not know what PBR is, is exactly the reason I state that not alot of them are qualified and don't try to get their kids to the next level. Let's face it, it's pretty popular and big time colleges use it as a point of reference on their roster pages. For a HS coach to not be aware of one of the only things that helps get kids recognized and showcase these kids to the college coaches is mindblowing. You don't have to agree with it but you should be aware it exists, that's if your a baseball guy in IL.
quote:
Originally posted by RRF8:
... from my experience schools will not offer anything (with few exceptions) to a player without observing them play.

Here was the circumstance. A pro scout recommended my son in the strongest terms to a college. This college asked him to come on an official visit ASAP without ever having seen him. We went because the school has a very high profile for pitchers and reputation for getting them drafted well. At the visit, the HC told my son what the offer was going to be, after they saw him pitch, which would probably be a formality.

The end of the story? They came to see junior pitch, he was awful. Started out 5 mph off his velocity and two innings later was 10 mph off his velocity (in fall ball). Control was marginal and he looked like he was laboring.

Offer withdrawn.

Turns out junior had mononucleosis and we didn't know it for several weeks.

The coach however, liked my son right away. He wrote me later that he likes a young man that will stand up when introduced and give him a firm handshake, look him in the eye, and carry himself with some confidence.
Last edited by CPLZ
CPLZ, along the lines of your post. I am coaching basketball under very difficult circumstances. I have a young lady that isn't the best athlete. However, as you said, firm handshake and looked me in the eyes. So, we're going through the various sets on defense and offense. Some of the other athletes kept messing up. I called on this young lady, despite what I threw at her, she knew it. That handshake said alot.
CPLZ,
what is the moral of that story. I don't understand. I don't think there's any schools that will offer a kid money without seeing them and if there is they probably won't be around long. Your advice on the good handshake and looking him in the eye is good for any HS athlete but the moral of the story was his talent. He didn't have it that day and they withdrew their offer, regardless of how much they liked his personality. I'd take the moral of that story as talent over rides alot of things, gun ratings over ride alot of things. Being a good kid will definitely help you out and being a good student will open alot of doors but the talent needs to be there to get to the bigger schools. Sounds like your son had it, just was a tough day. That story also highlights how sometimes you just get one chance to impress someone. Those are the points I take from it that might help other's on here, feel free to add anyting else.
With regard to any PBR rankings, I don't know where mine is ranked, or if he is ranked. And I don't care, nor think it matters. My kid has and is being looked at by all levels of college; D1 through D3. Quite honestly, We are surprised and flatterred by some of the interest. I have asked these coaches as to what spurred their interest and in some case, strong interest. none said their interest was birthed from any ranking service. All said they care more about actually seeing him in game situations was primary (some staffs came multiple times just to see him again), with recomendations being second.

My son is one who fits the profile as a ptcher of a tweener. Not specifically tall and lanky (projectable...), he is athletic. He does not throw 90 plus (cruises 83 to 85, will touch 88 when needed and with 3 pitches for strikes). but as his Fall coach (Jim Hall)says; "he gets kids out and is fearless on the mound...I need to make some calls for him. He can pitch for sure at the D2 level." So I agree with those that contend that high level prospects are not all identified by the gun...it's about outs.
Steely,
Is that meant to be sarcastic like everyone else on here assuming I don't know anything about baseball and therefore the things I say are deemed crazy?

Or do you see some truth and honesty in what I am stating and agree with some of it.

Traveldad,
With your son touching 88 mph, that's enough to get some schools after him, being a bulldog only can help his chances. Sounds like he attends Sandburg.
Nails,

I dont deal in sarcasm and the last thing I do is assume anything. I am asking a legit question based on reading this forum and seeing who writes what. I just want to have better knowledge of your background so that while reading this I know where you are coming from.

I am not saying I agree or disagree with you, your opinions are exactly that, yours.
Last edited by Coach Steeley
I don't have an angle, I am not promoting my son, his team, travel teams, magazines, etc. I just like talking baseball and having good quality discussions about what is happening in Illinois. I believe that I have enough knowledge of things and been around it enough to have some good points and help some kids and parents out and better understand what goes on.
TNHN,
just seen that Wes Neese committed to SIU. He's down by your area right? From your posts it sounds like your from further south in Illinois. In PBR he's ranked 100, so suffice to say people shouldn't get caught up in the numbers, there's kids in the 100's going to very good programs which compete in good conferences. Wonder where they are going to play him, infield or OF. Either way I sure his bat will get him in the line-up, solid player.
Nails,

This isnt a trick question and there is no agenda. Did you play in college, coach in college, high school travel, pro ball, little league?

If you offer up so many opinions and views, which are yours to do, I just want to know what is your background. I know most of these guys are coaches or have kids that play and just wonder what your experiences are.

If you dont have any and just love talking baseball, there is nothing wrong with that.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nails:
NCdad,
Gun reading is very important in projecting kids to the next level. Out of all the D1 college committments so far, please let me know if you know of any Pitcher that's right handed that throws softer than 85 mph? You can get HS outs throwing slower and even get college outs but your chances of getting outs at the higher levels increases the harder you throw.

Nails,

Dont know if this is true. I recruited NCDAD's kid when he was throwing 82-84 and we had offered him a scholarship when he was throwing 84.

But I saw that he had a tremendous feel for his changeup and that his arm was loose and did things fairly easy. I knew that his velocity was coming soon.

Also, I know of 3 kids that have signed DI scholarships that pitch at 83-85. Now 1 is a lefty and the other two are projectable arms. So I dont think you can make a general statement that kids throwing below 85 dont sign early.

This is one of the reasons I want to know your background. You make a lot of statements about college being different or getting outs in college are harder, I just want to see where this information comes from.

I can recall losing a game to South Alabama to a LHP that the TOPPED 81 mph but could throw a CH and CB for a strike.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.