Skip to main content

My son really liked the last home plate ump he had. They struck up a rapport right away. The ump told my son "Hey, I'm not wearing a cup". My son blocked every pitch. They chatted the whole way through the game.

I asked my son why the ump wasn't wearing a cup, and my son looked at me like I'm crazy (not unusual). He said, "Mom, when the ump tells you he's not wearing a cup, you don't ask why".

Any other funny catcher/ump stories?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Not a funny ump story but a routine. 643 son is primarily a catcher in both HS and Select. He has made it a habit of introducing himself to both Umpires before the first pitch. He gets their names and asks them how their day has been. He then tells them to have a good game and then goes to work. After the game (win or lose) he will shake both their hands and tell them thanks. Over the course of the last 3-4 years it has gotten to the point many umpires now know him on a first name basis. For what it's worth, his pitchers seem to get a little better zone much of the time too.
Two different stories. First one, son was catching, umpire had a very tight strike zone. Batter was a friend of son, pitcher threw change up, before the ball got to the plate, umpire called ball and then batter swung at the pitch. My son without missing a beat made the statement to the batter "wait for the ball, retard". Umpire thought statement was directed to him, and ejected my son. On the way to the car, I asked him what happened and he told the story. Then he proceeded to tell me that he was actually talking to the umpire.

Second was again son catching during a game against a rival. Other team's catcher was having a bad day and the umpire was getting peppered with missed balls. About the 3rd or 4th inning my son was talking with the umpire who was very unhappy about getting hit with all these pitches and my son reminded him to remember who was protecting him. My sons pitcher was getting some very generous calls from that point on.
As a coach, I'm a big proponent of my cathcers introducing themselves and building a rapport with the plate umpire from the moment they take the field. It pays off, especially over time as they get to know the player from working multiple games behind him over the years. An umpire who knows he's going to be protected can stay very quiet and get a good look at the pitch to get as many calls right as possible.

As an high school baseball umpire, I make a point of getting the catchers name from his coach while doing the plate conference, and then introduce myself while calling him by name. While he's warming up the pitcher and I'm getting my first looks at his pitches, I walk the catcher through a few simple 'ground rules' like not trying to jerk the ball into the zone, giving me a good view, and protecting me. I tell every catcher that if he beats the ball to the spot, cathces the outer half and gives me a good view, while also protecting me well, then he's going to have a good day. Also, that if he doesn't protect me, his day is going to be worse than mine. Most of them respond real well to that and the really good ones are embarassed anyway if a ball ever hits an umpire.

Couple stories. Last year, I had a 'catcher' (term used loosely in this case) in a JV game who couldn't or wouldn't protect me at all. First pitch of the game, fastball up and in, he whiffs it and it hits me square in the mask. By the end of the first inning, I'd been hit by 7 balls....cup shot, couple off my chest protector and a couple off my mask, as well as arm and legs. (for you umpires, yes I was in the slot, he just couldn't put his glove on the ball, or block). This kid couldn't catch! Second inning comes and five more balls hit me. At that point I called time out and told the coach to get a new catcher as I wasn't there to get killed because of a kid who had no business being back there. The coach responds that this is the only catcher he has, so I nod and go around in front of the plate to brush hit, while telling the catcher to stay down. While we're mask to mask, I tell him how PO'd I am to be getting killed back there, and that if one more ball hits me, I'm going to kick him from behind right in the 'you know whats' and he'll then know how my day was going. I asked him if he understood and he assured me he did. Funny, I didn't get hit by another ball the rest of the day. Motivation can come in many different forms!

Finally, we were playing in a qualifier for the Jr. Olympics one time (AAU version) and in the 4th inning the umpire suddenly calls time out, walks around in front of my catcher, points at him and dumps him without warning. I went out and asked him why he dumped my catcher so suddenly and he replied that he'd been taking verbal abuse from my guy the whole game (his zone was really bad!) but the last comment had gone over the line, so he dumped him. I went over to my catcher in the dugout and asked him what he said, and he replied " I just told him, you really scr*w*ed the pooch on that call blue." I had a really hard time not laughing out loud, fortunately, as I'm sure Mr. Umpire would have dumped me too at that point.

Catchers, develop a good rapport with the man behind you, and you'll find it makes the game easier for all concerned.
In HS ball, rapport with the umps is a tenth man on the field.

If an ump trusts and knows the catcher, knows he works hard to keep him from getting drilled, knows the catcher's receiving style and respects what he is doing - not trying to trick him, doesn't show him up by holding the stick more than a half beat... then the catcher gets the benefit of the doubt.

Not only will more marginal pitches get called strikes, but when that catcher is at bat, he will get more marginal pitches called balls.

There is no question in my mind that in my son's HS at bats, umpires more or less deferred to his judgment on marginal pitches. 2-2 curve ball, close to zone my son would take was almost always a ball.

They knew him, knew from his catching what he thought was in the strike zone, and when he didn't swing at the close ones, they often gave it to him. It was one reason, I am sure, that he set the all time state record for walks.
This is a good topic, I ran into a local umpire that we've known since son was in Little League. He is a nice man and a great umpire. He asked how our son was doing in baseball, what position and he said the nicest thing about son. He said he liked calling the game when son was catching because he blocked so well. I have seen umpires chatting with him, both are smiling and I tell you it goes a long way.
On the other hand....

Two days ago, I was working behind a really good JV catcher, a kid who assured me right away that no ball was going to get near me. I briefly coached his older brother in summer ball (he was very good, now playing in Milb) so I was really interested in seeing how little brother would do. He caught fine, but hit me hard with his bat on follow-through. The barrel of his bat caught me flush in the front of my mask! I've never had that happen before. The next time he came up, I told him I was going to dump him if I got hit with his bat again. Guess what? He hit the cather in the upper arm instead. After that, I can't tell you what I said to him the next time he came up. Let's just say that he wasn't going to hit anyone again.

He did catch good, though....
quote:
You mean throwing and hitting the umpire square in the face with a ball doesn't get you calls? Oops...

Is it bad that I'm quoting myself? Wink

Anyway.. this actually did happen to me between my freshman and sophomore years of high school playing Junior Legion. Had a wild pitch go to the backstop and I went to go retrieve it. Well, runner coming home and so I kinda slid, grabbed the ball, and threw all in one motion back toward homeplate. The umpire was obviously not looking at me, but at homeplate for the play. It hit him right across the face. Luckily, it was more of a flip and not a hard throw. Believe it or not, he didn't get mad at all! Smile We had a good laugh though..

I had him a few more times in high school and we've always gotten along real well. There's that respect there between the two of us. I mean the biggest thing I remember was hitting him across the face, but he knew that I was going to work my butt off back there as well as hustling everywhere so it made a difference. Team I coached a couple of summers ago had him for a game and he remembered me.
Its called mutual respect. Teach a catcher at a young age to respect the guy calling the game behind him. Teach him that part of his job is to protect him. Teach him to never show up the umpire in the way he handles pitches. Introduce yourself to the umpire and do your job.

Umpires have respect for catchers because they understand the rigors of the position and catchers respect the umpires for the same reasons and more. The good umpires admire and appreciate a good catcher. And good catchers understand the importance of making sure they take care of the guy in blue behind them.

There are some things I will never tolerate on the baseball field. And one of them is ever showing any disrespect to an umpire.
quote:
Originally posted by six2four2three:
Not a funny ump story but a routine. 643 son is primarily a catcher in both HS and Select. He has made it a habit of introducing himself to both Umpires before the first pitch. He gets their names and asks them how their day has been. He then tells them to have a good game and then goes to work. After the game (win or lose) he will shake both their hands and tell them thanks. Over the course of the last 3-4 years it has gotten to the point many umpires now know him on a first name basis. For what it's worth, his pitchers seem to get a little better zone much of the time too.

My son does the same thing and for sure it does help. But for the most part it is just the right thing to do.
quote:
I have seen umpires chatting with him, both are smiling and I tell you it goes a long way.

Actually this is NOT good. Well in a sense. Umpires have told my son (catcher) that it was fine to talk BUT he should do this with his mask on and not face the ump. If the other team and their fans saw them chatting this would give the impression that his team had an unfair advantage and could turn ugly. While playing in the pros he shared with me some of the heated conversations catchers and umps had. All this went unnoticed by the fans.
Fungo
Fungo, wouldn't have thought of that angle. These are great stories for novices like my son.

Today the ump suggested my son move back a bit from the plate - might get an interference call. This was after son had blocked several pitches in earlier innings. I wonder if the ump would have said anything if he hadn't been blocking.
I bet he would have. "Hey man do your job your killing me!"

To me its not a situation where you want your catcher to be having a lovefest with the umpire. Laughing , talking , etc etc. Just turn around as the game begins and introduce yourself. Then just do your job. Don't expect anything other than the umpire to do his job just like you. Show him his proper respect because he deserves it not because your trying to get something in return for doing it. And quite honestly you shouldnt expect anything other than him to simply do his job regardless of how nice you and how well you play.

Now if he gives you a break on that pitch when its 2-2 fine. But if he doesn't remember its the same call you expect to get when your back there as well.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.