Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

That first base/catcher foul ball situation is tough.  No offense, but the first baseman usually isn't the most athletic guy on the team....and the catcher is wearing 25+ pounds of gear.  They are both usually what you would consider "tough guys"...and are usually "gamers"....so the odds of both of them going full out after a foul ball are....unfortunately in this situation....pretty good.  I hope everything turns out ok.  Other than some busted teeth, it looks like your son is going to be ok.....so I gotta ask.....did one of the guys catch it? 

Last edited by Buckeye 2015
Originally Posted by Buckeye 2015:

That first base/catcher foul ball situation is tough.  No offense, but the first baseman usually isn't the most athletic guy on the team....and the catcher is wearing 25+ pounds of gear.  They are both usually what you would consider "tough guys"...and are usually "gamers"....so the odds of both of them going full out after a foul ball are....unfortunately in this situation....pretty good.  I hope everything turns out ok.  Other than some busted teeth, it looks like your son is going to be ok.....so I gotta ask.....did one of the guys catch it? 

Yep, first baseman caught the ball!  One tooth went with us to the ER and the other arrived later (brought by the first baseman).  They had a hard time finding it due to all the sunflower seeds on the field, lol. Unfortunately, all three teeth were a lost cause.

9 months later and his jaw, which was crushed, has been regrown and he's ready to get braces with floating teeth.  Too young for implants, so he'll be waiting until age 19 or 20 for the implants.  

At first he was pretty upset about his smile. It didn't take long for him to declare, "I don't need teeth to  play baseball."

I can relate.

Son was playing 3B, a new position for him, at a very respected baseball university, on his new showcase team. He made quite an impression (not) when he took a bad hop. This, just 2 months after getting the braces off.  Most of his top tooth went through his bottom lip and onto the ground and we were not able to save it.  Kudos to the local MiLB AA team dentist who happens to be a friend and met us on short notice on a holiday to patch him up. 

A good reason for all teams to have TEAM INSURANCE.  Worth every penny.

....and he wears a mouth guard now, too, playing MIF for his college team.

We found a crack in the tooth below the one that was blown out about 11 months later. Wound up getting a crown on that too.   You have 12 months from the date of incident to get all the work completed. We got that one done just under the wire.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.