Skip to main content

We are thinking of either the National Underclass Showcase-Main Event in Dec or the Academic Showcase in May/June.

If all things were equal my son would prefer the one in the spring after baseball season however if there is a big advantage to go in Dec, just for more exposure before the season that may tip the scales. I Know we need to be proactive, and he is sending out introductory emails w/skill videos and did get a few Sept 1st emails so he is on a few schools' radars,  but do we need to be in a hurry and try to get to the Dec Showcase or in your opinion are we fine to wait until the showcase in late spring?  (he didn't play fall ball because he plays another fall sport)

Last edited by CubFan 60532
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi CubFan and welcome to the site.  There isn't a whole lot of background info here so I'll just comment on some things to consider based on what you did state. Generally, the D1 timeline is quite further ahead than other levels.  If your 2016 is a solid D1 prospect, it's time to get moving (although if he is, you should would likely already know this). On the other hand, if he is playing another fall sport and not in sharp baseball playing shape, he may do more harm than good both from a "showing well" standpoint and an arm care concern.

Does he have target schools?  Has he had dialog with those schools?  Will they be in attendance? 

Son did PG Main Event last December and got hammered.  Played football all fall, then hoops beginning November.  Had not taken serious reps on the diamond since first week of August.  Played no fall baseball.  Then went to the Main Event and did not show well at all. Arm had lost about 5mph since August.  There are some serious HS players there.  And the grades PG assigns stick. 

I never saw any "scouts" there, certainly not college ones wearing any insignias.  To me, you go to that one in peak form.  Come out with some great video, a great PG grade and you send the link off to college recruiters.  If the grade that comes back is not to your son's liking, he may not be able to do anything with it.  I'm not saying to shy away from the challenge, but if you say your boy is not playing fall ball and he is playing another sport this fall, it may be a tall order.

I'd do one in spring, after baseball season when he should be at his peak.  Then as a 2016 go on a FULL COURT PRESS beginning in late spring thru fall.  Hopefully his PG grade will be a true assessment of his abilities and he will have some new video to send out.

JMO

You make a good point.  I appreciate it.  We may very well forgo the December showcase and try to go to a camp with multiple schools since its quite a bit less expensive than a PG showcase...and hit the showcase in spring when he's in top shape.

Since there are no mullligans in recruiting, just trying to figure it out and get it right the first time!

This site has been very informative and I appreciate all of the good advice that I have read from people who have already gone through this.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.