Skip to main content

Hope no one minds, I wanted to chime in with our experience(s).

My son was a pretty good HS player. He received individual awards but his personal favorite was helping his school win the District championship his senior year. They fell short in the championship game his junior year, and he committed to winning it the next and he helped his squad do it.

After HS he went to play JUCO. He had some offers from a couple of smaller D-1 schools and interest from plenty of D-3 programs. Not being a strong student, he chose the JUCO route as a chance to play right away and improve his grades. After JUCO he informed his Mom and I that he was not going back to school and wanted to "go pro."

As I was unaware of any pro interest, he explained how he had arranged a tryout with an Independant team. He made the team and he worked out all of the arrangements to join the club. I really wanted him to return to school. I know that going the Indy route is probably the most difficult path you can take. Son used everything I ever taught him against me. He even quoted me "Every man has to go his own way." When I asked him what his life goals were, he told me that he just wants to play ball until someone tells me I can't anymore.

Knowing full well the odds, I told him that it could be 1 year, it could be 3, it could be 15 but someday, someone will tell you can't play anymore. The other advice I gave him was his goal should be to reach the highest level, not just pro. He corrected me and reminded me that is what he has wanted his whole life.

I guess what I am getting at, is I had to "let him go his own way." He is only 20, and who am I to tell him not to chase his dream? I think back to when I was 20. I was in the Navy serving overseas.

Looking at his team roster, he is the youngest and least experienced. He has a lot to prove, and a tough road ahead. But if anyone can do it, he can. As a Dad, I saw baseball as a springboard to a good school that he may otherwise not get into. He saw college as a way to keep playing ball.

As you can tell, I am proud but also have mixed feelings. Can he move on to a higher level? Difficult but possible. I like that attitude better than possible but too difficult.
I think that you did right by letting your son do what he felt he had to, for now.

Your son will find out that indy ball is not proball and a very difficult path to milb. You will find that most players are former pro guys who have been released and trying to stay game ready while hoping a team may pick him up. The ML draft is a few weeks away and experienced players are being released and picked up everyday. Unless your son is a phenom, I can't imagine him getting signed as a FA over others that have that experience or will be drafted. I could be wrong.

Your son's fastest route to milb is to be drafted. He needs to go back to school to work towards his degree and play baseball to accomplish that.
I am sorry if I am not being very optimistic, but I do know just how difficult it is, trust me.

Let it play out and then when he comes home in a few months, you need to get on his butt to get a real job or go back to school.

I wish him lots of luck.
TPM:

I appreciate your take on this. You have a wealth of knowledge and info on the subject.

I guess the only thing I would disagree with is, just what is a "real job" for a 20 year old?

I spent 20 years in the Navy. I also spent four and half years of that career as a recruiter. Most 18-20 year olds that I knew either had no job, or worked fetching carts for the local grocery store or flipped burgers. Many were going to two year college on the five year plan, and working 2-3 jobs to do it or living off of Mom and Dad.

I also enlisted plenty of guys in the Navy with the magical four-year degree. Most with the typical majors and even one with a degree in anthropology.

No one has a greater respect for education than me. I completed mine while in the Navy, one of the great benefits the service offers. However, college is not a guarantee of employment. In fact, many consider a degree nothing more than a reciept.

There are worse things a 20 year old kid can do.

If this does not pan for him, school will be there, and I am sure in whatever path he takes he will land on his feet.

Congrats to your son by the way. I read where he just landed with a new organization. I hope he does great.
The comment about the real job was that unlike milb, indy ball does not pay one a salary. There are 20 year olds out there working "real jobs". Whatever that may be they are getting paid real money.

I think that most employers respect the degree. It shows that a person made a commitment to work towards a goal. I would take the college grad (or one with technical training) over one with just a HS diploma any day.

As I had stated, I admire that you allowed your son to make his decision that he felt was best for him, at this time and to follow his dream.

However, I will fall back on the fact that his best option, because he was not signed after HS is to go back to school. There he could kill two birds with one stone.

Thank you for the comment about DK.
You know what. I am not sure of his eligiblity. I know that he can't play D1 ball, not sure about the other divisions. I may be all wrong. I nkow when son was considering, he told me there was no pay involved but a room and possibly meals. Does that make one ineligible?

I wasn't paying attention to what I was trying to say. His best chance of getting drafted was continuing to play in school. Was he one year or two out of Juco? Perhaps he did figure if he didn't get noticed he needed to get the attention playing indyball. Your son had to have been pretty good to make a try out, many get in by knowing someone who knows someone. A few guys I know kicked around a few years in milb after starting in Indyball, but many of them were former college players.

Good question for 3FG abut eligibility.
Last edited by TPM
The guys I know who went to Indy ball do get paid a salary.
If a "pro" team (one of the 30) wants to sign you they can buy your contract from the indy team.

Congratulations to your son. He has a plan and he is following his dream. He is 20 yrs old he should try it now while he can. He may learn this is not what he expected he may be glad to go back to school, baseball becomes a job.. the dream fades. But 10 yrs from now he won't be looking back and saying what if.
Of course you want the best for your son and you have concerns about his education but you have given him a gift by supporting his choice.
NCAA by rule doesn't allow players who have played professionally to subsequently play in college in the same sport. A player on an indy team is a professional, by NCAA definition, whether paid or not.

However, there is a Committee on Reinstatement which can provide a waiver, and D1 and D2 have a specific rule covering ways a former professional can get athletic aid in the same sport if his pro career is over, which implies that some waivers are granted.

Realistically, if a player has done two years of Juco, and spends a year professionally, sits out a year (as would likely be required for the waiver), he would have only one year of eligibility left for D1. I think, practically speaking, he is very unlikely to find a D1 opportunity. If the indy stint is over within one summer, there might be an opportuity.

D2 is more plausible since it doesn't have the 5 year calendar rule. I imagine that D3 wouldn't look favorably on any such waiver request.

In all cases for NCAA, it would be prudent to assume that he won't be granted a waiver.
Last edited by 3FingeredGlove

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.