Skip to main content

Interesting article!

Posted on Sat, Jul. 22, 2006

Speed limit on the fastball
Athletes continue to get bigger and stronger. So why won’t the fastball go faster? The body won’t allow it.
By SAM MELLINGER
The Kansas City Star

The baddest, fastest, fiercest fastball anybody ever saw was more than 40 years ago, before color TV made it big, before radar guns, before Roger Clemens was even born.

The baddest, fastest, fiercest fastball anybody ever saw came from the left arm of a man you’ve probably never heard of. His name is Steve Dalkowski. He is 5 feet 11, 67 years old and dealing with the effects of alcoholism in a Connecticut nursing home.

“I pitched against Ted Williams when I was 18,” Dalkowski says now. “He came out, and he tells me he couldn’t see the ball. I tell him, ‘It went right under your nose.’ ”

Some swear his fastball reached 110 mph, maybe even 115. Earl Weaver, Pat Gillick and Bobby Cox are among many who still say nobody’s ever thrown faster. Dalkowski’s terrible control — he once lost a one-hitter 9-8 because he walked 17 — and an elbow injury kept him from ever throwing a big-league pitch.

Since then, hard throwers from Armando Benitez to Joel Zumaya have overworked radar guns all over the country. Officially, the Guinness Book of World Records credits Nolan Ryan with the fastest pitch, at 100.9 mph, in 1974.

But while the world record in the 100 meters keeps falling — nine times since 1968, twice since Maurice Greene’s 9.79 in 1999 — nobody has knocked Ryan out of the record book or Dalkowski out of memory.

Basketball players are taller, quicker and more athletic. High jumpers jump higher. Long jumpers jump longer. Swimmers swim faster. Even baseball hitters hit balls farther.

Pitchers, though …

“About 100 mph seems to be the maximum,” says Glenn Fleisig, a biomechanical engineer who has worked with big-league teams at the American Sports Medicine Institute. “You won’t have faster top speeds than before. But you can have more people near the top speed.”

The reason that’s true, the reason that the 2056 Cy Young winners won’t throw any faster than this year’s winners has everything to do with physics and the limitations of the human body.

•••

Ever seen roller derby? Or even a group of preteens at Skateland, when they connect arms and whip the kid at the end into superhuman speed? Surprisingly, it can tell us a lot about the act of throwing a baseball.

The speed with which the end skater zooms is dependent more on the timing with which momentum is transferred from the others than it is their collective strength. In other words, a weaker group of well-coordinated girls could whip their end skater faster than a stronger group of boys whose timing was a bit off.

The same thought applies to throwing a baseball. Faster speeds come from better energy transfer from legs to trunk, trunk to shoulder, shoulder to elbow, elbow to hand. In physics, it’s called the kinetic chain. In sports, it’s called coordination.

“You can always make people stronger,” Fleisig says. “But it’s not going to translate into more ball velocity.”

Which is why Roy Oswalt is 6 feet, 185 pounds and throws upper 90s, and the meathead at your gym is 6-4, 240 and probably couldn’t break glass.

It also helps explain why more pitchers have upper-90s fastballs than ever before. Presumably, Bob Feller or Bob Gibson or Christy Mathewson or Steve Dalkowski never studied biomechanics. For whatever reason, they just naturally threw with outstanding mechanics, maximizing their already-freakish potential.

As technology and knowledge advance, more pitchers benefit from knowing the proper technique to throw closer to their bodies’ capability.

Fleisig calculated that about 80 newton-meters of torque are put on the elbow when a top-level pitcher throws a fastball. He also studied cadaver elbows, testing their durability to force. The ligament in most elbows snaps around 80 newton-meters of torque.

And that’s the problem with throwing much faster than 100. There comes a point where more torque stops making the ball go faster and starts making the elbow snap. That will be true as long as there is no accepted way to significantly strengthen that ligament.

“I don’t think with rotational sports it’s possible to get the gene pool to do more than it’s doing right now,” says Tom House, former big-leaguer and co-founder of the National Pitching Association. “The low-end guys can always be improved. Those special guys, they’ve got a genetic max to them.”

Ligament limitation can also explain why athletes in other sports are doing things only dreamed of 20 years ago. Sprinters, for instance, aren’t close to reaching what their tendons and ligaments can take. No single movement from a sprinter puts as much stress on any ligament, tendon or bone as a pitcher puts on his elbow.

More important is the training factor. Sprinters — and swimmers, jumpers, distance runners, etc. — can strengthen the muscles they use. The ligaments most crucial to pitchers aren’t getting any stronger.

In fact, they wear down and tear over time.

“You never say never,” says Timothy Kremchek, the Reds’ physician and an expert on arm injuries. “But I doubt (pitchers will ever throw faster), just because of the unnaturalness of the spot. If somebody ever did throw that hard, it would be for such a short period of time I’m not sure people would really believe it. We are where we are, and it’s going to be that way for a long, long time.”

•••

Maybe this is why baseball seems to moving away from scouting by radar guns and focusing more on command and movement.

Greg Maddux wins four consecutive Cy Young Awards throwing about the same speed you see in the Sunflower League, while Colt Griffin never advances past Class AA with a triple-digit heater.

There’s an old saying in baseball that the best big-leaguers can hit a bullet if it’s straight and they know where it’s going.

“Honestly, we never did talk about how hard anybody threw,” says Rick Sutcliffe, an 18-year veteran and the 1984 NL Cy Young winner. “We talked more about hitting the outside corner at the knees. These guys, you can throw it as hard as you want, but if it’s not in a good spot, it’s going a long way the other direction.”

Throwing harder than anybody else sure never did much for Dalkowski, our man in the nursing home.

He struck out 1,396 and walked 1,354 in 995 professional innings, going 46-80 with a 5.59 ERA.

Nuke LaLoosh, the pitcher in “Bull Durham,” was loosely based on Dalkowski, who says he thinks the movie is both “funny” and “sad.”

Dalkowski still takes pride in being called the hardest thrower in baseball history, even if it never got him to the big leagues. Even if it’s unofficial.

Would he like to see someone take his title?

“Maybe someday,” he says. “Not right now, though, no. They’re getting closer, it seems. But they still can’t throw it like I threw it.”

There’s a chance no one ever will.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To reach Sam Mellinger, sports reporter for The Star, call (816) 234-4389 or send e-mail to smellinger@kcstar.com.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Thanks so much for the post...I've been totally bewildered for years and now I know...I finally have an answer. I can't wait to tell all of the other dads who were in our Indian Princess tribe back in '01.

We had a get-together one night, a pow-wow sort of thing, at a roller rink. All of our little Indian Princesses challenged their Daddy Chiefs to be the end of the whip.

One by one they unceremoniously flung the Daddy Chiefs through the opening in the rail and up against the double exit doors...several of us went through the doors and out into a muddy, barkdust-strewn, landscaped area near the parking lot.

I hate to see my daughter cry...I really do...but when the tears are caused by intense laughter after viewing me and a few of the other unfortunate Daddy Chiefs sitting outside on the curb trying to clean all of the mud and barkdust from the roller bearings with our car keys and twigs...yes...that laughter, although not sweet, is acceptable. Those little Indian Princesses had a kinetic chain reaction going that night that was completely untouchable!

Of course those dads, who still had functioning skates, then challenged the little Indian Princesses to attach themselves to the end of the Daddy Chief kinetic chain...all of us Daddy Chiefs just exchanged confident glances...we knew that each of our darling Indian Princesses was going to go for a short, but exhilarating flight...no doubt about it!

Little Mary Lynn was the first to go...she was still laughing pretty hard...all of us Daddy Chiefs lined up with Mary Lynn giggling on the end. I was somewhere in the middle of our snorting and chortling testosterone infused chain. Wooden Heart was blaring over the sound system, lending an odd mood to our attempt to reclaim our daddy dignity.

All was going spectacularly well at the outset...after two laps around the rink we were coming close to our top speed...Mary Lynn's giggling turned into nervous chuckles followed by short, piercing, shrieks. Sheer terror now was etched on her formerly bright and affable face. One more lap and it was launch time! Sweet, delirious bliss...oh my! I could feel the pent up frustration and humiliation eager to let go...we were going to give her a fling. And there were surely more to follow! I looked down the line...I swear I saw more than one set of devil horns sprouting from those shiny pates! All of us had a wicked grin. The rest of the Indian Princesses that were ringing the rink looked rather somber...their glee melting away like the Sno-Cone in many of their hands...some of which were now dribbling a sticky mess onto the rinkside floor.

At first I wasn't concerned by the faint, yet shrill, noise coming from somewhere in the vicinity of my left foot. It couldn't be much could it? Naw! Nothing was going to interfere with the coordinated unleashing of our collective, middle-aged, and overweight prowess...nothing!

Nothing...except a particularly strong and stubborn bit of stringy bald-cypress bark that had apparently been overlooked in my hasty attempt at cleaning my roller bearings. Oh my! Houston, we have a problem...an ever escalating problem. The faint, yet shrill noise was now quite noticeable to everyone within earshot. Many of the Indian Princesses could now be seen dropping their Sno-Cone while covering their ears to prevent hearing the tormenting, piercing, screeching noise now loudly being broadcast from my smoldering and smoking left foot skate.

Just as we were ready to send Mary Lynn into sub-rafter orbit I sensed all of the Daddy Chiefs heads were turned my way and their eyes were staring at me. The imagined devil horns that had proudly festooned many of their heads just a moment ago had either been shorned or were hanging limply off to the side...I'm not liking the vibe at the moment...and then it happened.

I remember it well...too well. The bald-cypress bark, remarkably, was much more determined and dominant than you could ever imagine...it really was no match...the roller bearing balls probably called a speedy, emergency meeting and took a quick vote which was obviously unanimous..."bald-cypress bark, you win...we give up now...unconditionally!" And when that vote came in, those balls just stopped rolling and the entire bearing just seized up. Pronto!

Skid wouldn't come close to describing what then ensued...more like stick...picture a tavern dart board confidently receiving a well heaved dart...that picture is more appropriate. I stuck...right there in turn four of the final lap...no amount of Valvoline or high octane Union 76 was going to help. The checkered flag hanging at mid rink over the counter where you check out your skates was fluttering from the ceiling fan's breeze. So enticing, so inviting, so close...so very close.

First, my once proud and strong grip of Tom Hitchins with my right arm was broken followed almost immediately by my left arm losing the bond with 'Big Jim' Walker. The mighty line ahead of me pirouetted not so gracefully into the outer wall just after turn four...the trailing remainder of the line managed to find just about every conceivable square inch of my soon to be aching body...as I was listening to the plywood groan from the impact of the men up front I strangely remember hearing no noise as each of the trailing men pummeled their way into me...most much more forcefully than would have reasonably been expected. Thank goodness for middle-aged flab...I think it was the only thing that prevented me from landing in the Emergency Room that evening.

Just as my head was about to finally reach the solid wooden floor of the rink I glimpsed Mary Lynn nimbly racing through all of the wreckage scatterered and littered down the home stretch...although my eye-lids were nearly clenched shut I did see her sail under that fluttering checkered flag...clearly ahead of our now prone and knot-headed lead Daddy Chief, Lloyd Bridges. The Indian Princesses let out a whoop that rattled every window pane in the rink. I don't know how she did it, but Mary Lynn managed to accomplish several smoky doughnuts before she was swarmed by the others.

My daughter, God bless her, raced out onto the rink and extiguished my still smoldering left skate with the remains of her melted Sno-Cone...I'll take that Wooden Heart...it sure beats the heck out of that wooden floor!

Now it is abundantly clear to me KCBaseball..."The speed with which the end skater zooms is dependent more on the timing with which momentum is transferred from the others than it is their collective strength. In other words, a weaker group of well-coordinated girls...Indian Princesses...could whip their end skater...a Daddy Chief...faster than a stronger group of boys...Daddy Chiefs...whose timing, and skate cleaning ability, was a bit off." Makes perfect sense to me. Thanks KCBaseball.

Last edited by gotwood4sale
As my kids would say, "Ooooohhhkaaaaaaayyy ...."

But seriously, folks ...

Articles like these call to mind similar articles written decades ago, where various scientists explained why no one would ever run a mile in less than 4 minutes. (Ooops.)

Meaning, someone will break through this supposed barrier someday. And others will follow.

I suppose there is a limit to what the human body can do. But something tells me the odds that the limit falls on a nice round number like 100 are not very good.

The more relevant question is, why throw 100 mph? Every day pitchers demonstrate that location, movement and change of speeds are far more important. Every day someone throwing 95+ fails to get batters out.

Think of Brad Penny in the All Star game. Here's a guy who's usually content to throw his fastball in the low 90's, but since he's on the big stage with only two innings to throw, he lets it all hang out and pumps 98-100 up there for two innings. He blows 'em away in the first inning, and seemed prepared to K all six batters he would face. It was an amazing thing ... until Vladimir Guerrero deposited an eye-high heater into the right field seats. Then we remembered that the Brad Penny who throws in the low 90's also throws other pitches and tries to use his head, and that guy was 10-2 heading into the all star break.

Speed is a weapon that can be used well, but in the end it's only one weapon. Focusing on one weapon to the exclusion of others is destined to fail.

Even Nolan Ryan wouldn't have done what he did without his wicked curve, or the circle change he developed after he turned 40.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.