Skip to main content

Looked like a pretty darned good first game in the Southeast Regional.  #4 seed USC-Aiken beat #5 seed Tusculum 2-1.  Aiken pitcher threw a complete game on 119 pitches.  Aiken will take on CSU tomorrow at 3 in a PBC battle.  CSU and Aiken did not play each other this year, so it will be interesting to see what happens...

Last edited by bballman

Two opponents that knew each other well - Belmont Abbey & Catawba...  Early in April it was a 24-22 BAC win that took 4H23M to complete (http://abbeyathletics.com/spor...es/20160406_dfe6.xml).

I think I know why 6 team regionals are preferred now - this rain is killer and it's not just 1 region affected!   The UMO v. Catawba game is now 7P tonight and the rest of today's games are tomorrow. Loser's tomorrow will play 2 games.... CSU/CSC at 1030A, BAC/Lander at 130, Loser CSU/CSC v. Winner UMO/Catawba at 5, and loser BAC/Lander v Tusculum at 830.  

I am somewhat surprised that given the rain and the prospect of last night's loser (game was 3H51M starting at 1052P) would still be scheduled for a 1030A start... Why not flip-flop with the CSU/USCA game... Imagine getting into bed at what 330-4A knowing you have like 4-6 hours of "sleep" to need to get ready to play an elimination game.  Killer for us Adults, perhaps just an average day for a college student!

JohnF posted:

I am somewhat surprised that given the rain and the prospect of last night's loser (game was 3H51M starting at 1052P) would still be scheduled for a 1030A start... Why not flip-flop with the CSU/USCA game... Imagine getting into bed at what 330-4A knowing you have like 4-6 hours of "sleep" to need to get ready to play an elimination game.  Killer for us Adults, perhaps just an average day for a college student!

My son's team experienced something similar at last years NCAA D2 Atlantic Regionals.  Third day of the tournament they were scheduled to play late - 7 pm (had won the first two games).  The two games ahead of them both went into extra innings.  The first one went 11 innings and the second went 13 innings.  That pushed the start time for my son's game to 10 pm.  Game did not end until 1 am - unfortunately they lost.  That put them playing at 10 am then next morning.  At best they got about 6 hours actual sleep by the time you factor in getting to/from the field from the hotel, meals, etc.

NCAA would not waiver from the schedule unless weather related.

Well I waited for son's season to be over to post (avoid HSBBWEB "jinx") and unfortunately it did last Sunday..they were 2 outs from making NCAA tournament.. first inning run that held through 8 wasn't good enough as a hit, walk, 2 HB and a "walk off" wild pitch ended season.

Some solace though as RipkenFan son's team is young-- ace this year was freshman, and starting CF and 2B (RF Son) were freshmen; two best hitters are returning. Exciting year as team went from last to first and won first division title in 20 years.

Son had a good fall (hit over .400), but was I was pleasantly surprised that he played every game--started all but one but PR and stole base off bench in that one. Looking to build on next year. Thrilled he ended up in top ten in league in hits, runs, and triples. Second in stolen bases and sac bunts in league.

His defense kept him in lineup while he adjusted from HS to D1 pitching--slow start with bat.  He had highest fielding percentage among all MI in the league. 

Interested to see how NCAA tourney works out.  Once league champ loses, I'll probably be rooting for a team he faced early in season.

Ripken Fan posted:

Well I waited for son's season to be over to post (avoid HSBBWEB "jinx") and unfortunately it did last Sunday..they were 2 outs from making NCAA tournament.. first inning run that held through 8 wasn't good enough as a hit, walk, 2 HB and a "walk off" wild pitch ended season.

Some solace though as RipkenFan son's team is young-- ace this year was freshman, and starting CF and 2B (RF Son) were freshmen; two best hitters are returning. Exciting year as team went from last to first and won first division title in 20 years.

Son had a good fall (hit over .400), but was I was pleasantly surprised that he played every game--started all but one but PR and stole base off bench in that one. Looking to build on next year. Thrilled he ended up in top ten in league in hits, runs, and triples. Second in stolen bases and sac bunts in league.

His defense kept him in lineup while he adjusted from HS to D1 pitching--slow start with bat.  He had highest fielding percentage among all MI in the league. 

Interested to see how NCAA tourney works out.  Once league champ loses, I'll probably be rooting for a team he faced early in season.

How could they be 2 outs from  NCAA tourney?  For most, they have to get through conference tourney, then regional, then super regionals, if your reference was to D1 baseball.

Goosegg posted:

It was the conference championship game; Yale was up one with one out in nine but lost.  Winning team got automatic NCAA bid.

Gotcha but that was just a bid for regional appearance. I know Princeton won!

Congrats to your son Ripkenfan. It's a long road to the NCAA tourney,  can be very rewarding or heartbreaking along the way.

http://www.ncaa.com/liveschedule/2016/05/28

D2 World series starts tomorrow,  10:00 am game should be a good one  Millersville vs Angelo State.  I would expect a matchup of Brandon Miller vs Bryce Zak two of the top D2 pitchers in the country.  Games are streamed, with a top notch commentary and using multiple cameras.   They must be expecting bad weather because game times have already been moved.

Fun time for NCAA baseball,  as another thread mentioned TV games on everywhere...  Clemson/ Virginia was a good one last night, I kept sneaking peeks during the Stanley Cup playoff game..  Lets Go Pens!!! 

Son finished his first season last week. 

36 2/3 innings 2.70 ERA, 32 K's, and .237 batting average against.  Finished it by pitching 5.0 innings with 3 hits and 4 K's  vs. South Alabama (regional team) in Sunbelt conference tourney.

After a slow start and his 1st (and only) start vs. TCU, he had a 2.03 ERA for the remainder of the season.  He  looking forward to coming back next fall and competing for a weekend rotation spot.  Said that after pitching at TCU and Tech (at Globe Life), "how could there be any more pressure?" and I think that outlook benefitted him the remainder of the season.

And I would be remiss to not add---0-2 (and both were almost hits) with a walk while back up catching.  Coach said he will retire with a .333 OBP. 

Already left this morning for Canada (24 hour drive w/ a teammate) and summer ball.

Son's team (Wright State) rolled thru Horizon league tournament this past weekend. 3-0 (won 11-3, 5-1, 7-2) and basically all games were decided early. Our starting pitching rocks with 7IP, 3R -2ER, then 6.2 IP, 0R, then 9IP, 2ER for the 3 SPs. Left on the table without getting to pitch was our 2nd team all league 9-1 2.8 ERA pitcher who is #4. Son was supposed to be in that rotation as #2 but as you all know out with TJ surgery after first game of year. 3 of those 4 are coming back next year.

As far as rest of this year. WSU has 44 wins which is 2nd in team history, #3 seed in Louisville bracket (They are gonna be TOUGH to beat). Get the opportunity to play Ohio State in first game on Friday. This will be first time in well over a decade the 2 have met. Thru grapevine, OSU unwilling to schedule WSU over the years. Battle for Ohio supremacy for 2016 will be on the line. Truthfully, Ohio State, Wright State, and Kent State should play each other every year. These generally are the 3 best programs in Ohio over last few years. Certainly would help the ole' RPI for each.

I, along with my older son) are going to the regional. Very excited to see some great baseball and hopefully pitch our behinds off, get timely hits, play defense as we usually do and upset the regional

well the season is over. Wright state lost in regional championship vs Louisville. Lost first game in regional to Ohio State on numerous very close call that did not go our way (part of baseball- not complaining) and then opened the door in bottom of 9th. Ohio State took advantage and goo walk off win. Then WSU played Western Michigan and there high draft prospect pitcher on Saturday, Hit him hard and had convincing win 10-3, Yesterday v Ohio State. came right out in bottom of first with a 5 spot, tacked on a few more runs over game and won 7-3. Then to Louisville where we hung on with very good pitching losing 3-1. They are certainly a very very good team and would not be surprised to see them win it all.

For WSU this signaled most wins in history of program (46-17), probably the most players getting drafted in a single season, and a great group of guys and parents. This, also, signaled that Purdue is reportedly after our coach (along with others potentially). With greatness comes opportunity. Though I hope for my sons and WSU sake that he stays. We will see in the next few weeks.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.