Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Mine had to report 6 a.m. yesterday (Friday) to Clearwater. He's called home both nights so far with excited reports. If nothing else, he is certainly creating some great memories. Chris Koste came up and talked to him for about 20 minutes while son was doing long-toss. Today he got to talk a little Big10 sports with guest instructor Mickey Morandini (former Hoosier). Said today that he thought he was well-prepared for the conditioning...but realizes that altho he completed the conditioning today, it really beat him up. He sounds exhausted, but happy. It's all a learning experience that he's glad he is getting the chance to partake of.
Luvbb,
First spring training, woo hoo!
Mine is still home, but ready and we watched him throw to live batters yesterday and looking good and he is feeling good, says better than ever. He's been spinning, says if he can get through that he can get through spring training workouts. Smile
Monday he takes the short ride to report before 2pm. The house will be empty, mass meals ended and less laundry.
FO,
Glad to hear your son is feeling well. You have a pm
Jerseyson reported on the 28th and things seem to be going well. So far he said he has done 2 or 3 bull pens and he was happy with the results.

As a bonus he is psyched that his roommate is someone he knew from the AFLAC game and became friends with during fall instrux. All systems go... arm feels good, likes his roomy, the xbox is set up so he is ready to go. Smile (He's doing great but it's been a long week for mom and dad. cry)

Good luck to all our young men on what I hope will be a very successful season for everyone!
Last edited by jerseydad
My son reported Friday.

In a couple of weeks I'll be headed out there for some long overdue R&R. Maybe I'll get to spend some time with the kid, too. We're not sure how much 'free time' he will have. Doesn't matter that much. I get all excited just hearing the pop of the leather and the crack of the bat.

That's good news about your son, FO. I wish him the very best.
Last edited by TMM_Dad
4 hour physical on Sunday and first workout today. I guess all the guys had to wear sunglasses at the hotel pool yesterday because of the reflection off the kids pasty white Northern body.

He repeated what he said last year that even a Yankee hater would be impressed with the "complex" and professional atmosphere that is shown at Yankee headquarters. He went on to say that it is not an impression they try to push, rather a mindset they expect from management, down to the guard in the parking lot.
Son passed his physical and has thrown 3 bullpens so far. Doing well but as with most other clubs, there's a ton of pitchers trying to make teams. Pitching coordinator is pleased with his progress since surgery. If he can get back to where he was pre-injury he might have a shot. Still a long way to go.

Good luck to all who continue to live their dream.
A long first week, adjusting to the warmer climate and the blistering sun, conditioning, a lot of catching drills, just pitchers and catchers.........

And, then, today, bumped to the big league game.......

Didn't get into the game, but did all the things the third catcher would do.

Caught in the pens and took BP.

Physicals tomorrow and the games begin on Tuesday.

Stoked the fire a little..............
Last edited by FormerObserver
Wow, FO, that's so cool.
Yup the bump up is good stuff, helps motivate.
Cards milb begins this week, with games against the Marlins and Mets and then intersquad games. For the Marlins, there is no travel, Mets they do, last year they went to Vero but the dodgers moved.
I was wondering in Arizona, do milb teams travel to play other teams? Do other FL teams travel to play other teams? I know that some on the west coast of FL are close to one another.
Last edited by TPM
All of the teams are close in AZ similar to the way they are in FL, maybe closer.

The Milb teams do travel to opponents complex for games.

AA & AAA might be away while the two A's are at home and vice versa.

Which makes the bumps interesting while you are actually there.

On the way to an A game on one side of Phoenix and the call comes announcing the bump to AA, or AAA, on the other side of Phoenix, if he has a chance to call.

I'd like to have been there today and got that call.........
quote:
Originally posted by TPM:
I forgot that the Orioles are in FTL, that means FrankF's son is close by! They play at the staduim where we spent years watching the Yankees.

Unfortunately the Orioles big leaguers are not close to the "little" guys. The O's minor leaguers are in Sarasota.

Josh's arm is feeling good, not sure about the velocity. He says if he gets on a team it will probably be the low A team. So far he's thrown for the high A team twice and the AAA team once. For those in the know, that doesn't mean anything as the complex usually has three or four fields next to each other and players move up and down usually based on how close the games are to finishing.

He said there are 22 pitchers on the low A working roster. They can only take 12 so that means 10 pitchers will more than likely either get released or stay in extended.

The wife and I are headed out on the 18th to see him pitch for the first time since college. Hopefully he will still be there.

Good luck to all who are still chasing their dream.

Fungo, the VI sound great to me. I'm sure Josh isn't losing any sleep over starting the next chapter in his life. I wish him well.
Games begin tomorrow for Cards milb players after a week of practice.
For those following this topic, players are ususally placed on a team depending on where they were last season or where teh organisation wants to see them play for a few weeks and this changes daily depending on need, or for pitchers when there is a need.
The Cards have 2 low A teams, one advanced A, one AA and one AAA. After the season, the organization decides who goes where (usually the day before) and those with rehab issues or those not making a roster stay for extended spring training, which begins sometime before the June draft. So for many players spring training can last for 3 months. They are housed by the organization and receive milb pay. In the Cardinal organization those remaining players are then dispersed between the GCL (Jupiter), rookie low A (Johnson City, TN), regular season low A (Davenport, IA) and short season low A in Batavia, NY (NY Penn league).

All teams do not have the same system (# of teams), some teams do not have three low A teams. Organizations are careful not to place a player above his ability at first, sending a player "down" is not good for their psych or ego.

Extended spring might mean for the late drafted player out of HS, a full season in "complex" ball. That consists of very early wake up, field practice, then games between the other comples teams and done very early in teh day. In Jupiter, those games are played on the backfields, not in the stadium. Very few to observe you playing, more than likely a few scouts in the stands is all you may see. You may get a chance to move toward the end of the season, and that depends on the teams philosophy.
I just wanted to post this, so that those in HS considering signing would understand that more than likely, it is not what one may expect. Most higher HS draft picks and those who the team have invested heavily in, will move quicker. Most drafted college players will move directly to short season low A or regular season low A depending on the team's needs.
Last edited by TPM
milb players don't get paid for st or extended. they do get 3 hots and a cot in st, 2 meals and per diem for dinner in extended.

tr
the gcl is the low rookie league, but in extended they play the other team's extended st teams. until the draft. ss rookie and the appy league (high rookie) don't start until after the draft.
TR,

I'm not going to allow you to start insulting other members again, whether it's a member with whom you have a previous history, or a newer member.

Correcting information that you believe is false is fine, but there is no need to get personal like this:

quote:
again you furnish misinformation

Please do your homewrok before posting info

I realize that the comment above is mild, but I've seen where it has gone in the past if left unchecked.

Julie
Last edited by MN-Mom
Rookie ball can be complex ball or Pioneer league was considered rookie ball.. or short season depends on team Royals have extended spring training then after draft they have rookie ( complex) ball
Short season teams in Idaho Falls and Burlington NC
Low A in Burlington IA, high A in Wilmington De. AA in Springdale AK. AAA in Omaha Ne.
Lots of levels
Last edited by njbb

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.