Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

....wow, someone has an agenda! I'm glad you're crystal ball is in full swing. I suggest you get some of these Northern Region teams to play Paul VI and then, and only then will we know whether there's any validity to your negative and unnecessary comments. I'll also add for the record that Paul VI vs. Northern Region teams over the last 3 years is a horrible 5-1 w/ their only loss coming by a score of 2-1 early in their season, three years ago. Well? There goes that theory !
No agenda here bud, just calling what I am seeing and reading. Don't be so defensive.

5-1 in as we know scrimmage/pre-season games.

As you say, would love to see some games. It sucks the boys can't speak up, I am sure they would like to play each other. Nothing negative or unnecessary said towards the kids, just the ones who run the show. Tell me who has the agenda. I think we know.

Agendas and theories only on your part.
quote:
As you say, would love to see some games. It sucks the boys can't speak up, I am sure they would like to play each other. Nothing negative or unnecessary said towards the kids, just the ones who run the show.

We can atleast agree on one thing ! I'll add if you want us to throw in scrimmages (only real games were in our 5-1 record) Paul VI is 9-1 vs. Northern Region teams in the last three years, but hey everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Enjoy your holiday weekend !
You are funny and have totally taken this the wrong way.

Ok, you are right 9-1 AGAINST, Westfield, Stonebridge, Stafford, Centreville, let me know if I left out any power houses. It is about the same as taking any District Champion and playing all the lesser teams in the private league.

I was looking more towards Paul VI against, LB, WS, Oakton, South County(new school), Madison etc.....

I was just trying to say there is no way to rank this school that high not playing any of the top teams in the State.

Paul VI could win them all, I just think you have to earn rankings like that. No big deal and I will be at several fields tomorrow. Go LB.
Nova....I do believe we're in agreement regarding these public school teams playing top private school teams, I'm just not able to do a good enough job of articulating that for some reason. There seems to be this underlying concern that if these top public school teams play the top private schools, what's the benefit? Well, stating the obvious, a really good game between two talented teams, however, they shy away from this due to concerns that they might lose players to these private schools. First, very few "recruit" that way. Secondly, These top private school baseball programs don't have to be too aggressive w/ the so called "recruiting" as most players and parents will search them out.

I have heard that some of the top private school coaches along w/ some of the top public school coaches are talking about hosting here locally, a tournament of champions, an event at one of the nicer fields in the area. The concept is in the beginning stages of discussions but they're looking to invite the top 4 private school teams in the area to face off against the top 4 public school teams in the area. In addition would invite all the local media, scouting groups, etc. to attend. I love the concept and am certainly encouraging the coaches I know to move in the right direction to make this happen. There are a couple teams you've mentioned that would partcipate if the logistics can be resolved. It's certainly an alternative to travelling hundreds of miles, paying thousands, just to play a team from your own backyard. There are enough talented teams in this region that w/ the right organizers, sponsors and teams participating we could have one heck of an event every year where the best play the best each and every year while saving thousands.

In regards to the rankings it's pretty simple. Any team in the country that starts 21-0, finishes 27-3 w/ all three losses coming by a combined total of only 4 runs, defeating four nationally ranked teams, 2 defending state champions, win their own State Title, how can you argue w/ any of that or the rankings that Paul VI has earned this year?

Nova, I'll be over at South County tomorrow for the late game, perhaps we can make some introductions, PM me
Last edited by j2h6
I hope, novabball, that you realize how subjective the rankings are. Yes, PVI is ranked very high nationally, but most of the people who have played them or seen them play, and certainly their fans, would say they deserve every accolade. The only hiccup in the season was the failure to handle Bishop Ireton twice (losing once to StJ was to be expected, though even that loss came in the 7th on PVI miscues). 27-3 against their schedule; 9 Div I seniors (though only 7 have signed so far); three championships in five years; the SBC Championship this year, as well. . . They are most deserving.

Yes, it would be great if baseball could start 1 March and end 1 June with schedules of 40 games that would allow for 10 out-of-conference regular season games. But until that many games are allowed by the governing bodies, we will not see many private vs. public school regular season games. Neither can take many games off the schedule.
A local tournamnet is a great idea and I would love to see it.

AGAIN, in no way am I trying to take away anything from the Paul VI kids. I know some of them and they are great kids and deserve everything they worked hard for.

I was just questioning such a high ranking without playing other top teams in the area. As you guys pointed out, there is no way at this time for them to play due only a limited amount of out of distriact dates to play.

Thanks for the insight. J2, I didn't see your message until this evening. I will be out of town for the rest of the week. I might be able to be back late Friday afternoon. If so, I will PM you. Will you be at the championship game?
Division 1
2008 VISAA Baseball Academic All State

Colin Milon Bishop O'Connell
Jackson Freeman St Christopher's
Matt Murakami Paul VI
Conor Dewey Norfolk Academy
Cameron Giannini Hargrave Military

2008 VISAA Baseball Coach of The Year

Billy Emerson Paul VI

2008 VISAA Baseball Player of The Year

Matt Murakami Paul VI
Charlie McCann St Christopher's

2008 VISAA Baseball 1st Team All State

Josh Alford Trinity Episcopal
Isaac Ballou Nansemond Suffolk Academy
Kevin Buran Benedictine
Reed Bromley Paul VI
Ryan Crosby Notre Dame Academy
Matt Doyle Flint Hill
Luke Erickson St Christopher's
Bret Goodloe St Anne's Belfield
Zach Goodyear Hargrave Military
Zach Jung Collegiate
Kyle Long STAB
Whit Mayberry St Stephen's-St Agnes
Connor McGuiness St Stephen's-St Agnes
Brock Wilson Liberty Christian
Peter Verdin Paul VI

2007 VISAA Baseball 2nd Team All State

Josh Allen Covenant
Evan Anderson Flint Hill
Taylor Buran Benedictine
Matt Davenport Nansemond Suffolk Academy
Connor Dewey Norfolk Academy
Cameron Giannini Hargrave Military
Campbell Henkel St Christopher's
Dillon Koonce Collegiate School
Alex Miller St Stephen's-St Agnes
Desmond Rice Liberty Christian
Drew Shaw Paul VI
Will Swoope Benedictine
Zach Tessler Bishop O'Connell
Kevin White St Anne's Belfield
Jon Whitt Trinity Episcopal
Last edited by j2h6
Division 2
Josh Glitz North Cross
Duane Haarer Eastern Mennonite
Chad Van Norman Atlantic Shores Christian
Adam Tiller Greenbrier Christian Academy
Cameron Scales Steward School

Gary Lavelle Geenbrier Christian Academy

Sammy Serafine Greenbrier Christian Academy

Austin Bennett Hampton Christian
Micheal Byers Seton School
Jake Cave Hampton Christian
JD Honeycutt Isle of Wight
KC Judkins Hampton Christian
Chad Van Norman Atlantic Shores Christian
Matt Palmer Carlisle School
Eric Reiske Greenbrier Christian Academy
Bryce Sears Isle of Wight
Cameron Scales Steward School
Kenny Strickland Greenbrier Christian Academy
Alexander Tharp Steward School
Walker Miller School
JT Wauford Steward School
John Michael Whalen Miller School

2008 VISAA Baseball 2nd Team All State
Drew Coker Steward School
Trey Gaylor Carlisle School
Colin Gannon Seton School
Corey Hendricks Atlantic Shores Christian
Chaz Norman Hampton Christian
Palmerton Miller School
Brock Shiflett Steward School
Mitchell Turner Carlisle School
Tyler Tweedy Greenbrier Christian Academy
Matt Wooten Greenbrier Christian Academy
Division 3

Michael Williams Kenston Forest
Joel Hill Roanoke Valley Christian
Ryne Farmer Westover Christian
Taylor Myers Blessed-Sacrament
Joe wilson Alliance Christian

David Mitchell Alliance Christian

Corey Nelson Alliance Christian

Bryan Alexander Blessed-Sacrament
Paul Edwards Southampton Academy
Ryne Farmer Westover Christian
Joel Hill Roanoke Valley Christian
Chris Howard Blessed Sacrement-Hugenot
Johnny Long Kenston Forest
Joshua McMillian Amelia Academy
Taylor Milinazo Alliance Chrisitan
Curtis Pittman Tidewater Academy
Andrew Potter Fuqua School
Kyle Robinson Brunswick Academy
Jonathan Sharpley Broadwater Academy
Bryson Stump Kenston Forest
Martin Teig Alliance Chrisitan
Kyle Vance Broadwater Academy

2008 VISAA Baseball 2nd Team All State

Ryan Anderson Roanoke Valley Christian
Tripp Camden Broadwater Academy
Cam Cousins Alliance Christian
Tyler Lass Southampton Academy
Dale Langford Richmond Christian
CJ Newcomb Kenston Forest
Nathan Perkinson Roanoke Valley Christian
Curtis Pittman Tidewater Academy
Isaacvanwart,
Not j2h6, but I believe the All State teams are selected from players that were voted to their respective conferences All-Conference First Team. And I don't think position is considered, supposed to be best players/players that had the best season.
Hope this helps you out.
BTW, congrats to the players named.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.