Skip to main content

There is not another person I know I respect more than Cleveland Dad. He is one of my best friends. Period, no if ands or but's. And his post on this topic comes from experience and so do mine. I learned a while back just when I start "bragging" things seem to go south. So I keep it to myself when things are going good and keep it to myself when they are not going so good. I have learned over the years that sometimes the best approach is to just be thankful in the good times and thankful in the tough times.

You go ahead and do your thing. Be thankful for your grand son. Enjoy every minute of it. You will learn and you will come to understand exactly what Cleveland Dad is talking about. You will still be very very proud and thankful for your grand son. You will just come to understand exactly what CD is talking about. And it will be OK.

I am very proud "thankfull" for both my boys. But I have learned to be just as proud "thankfull" after an 0-4 game as I am after a 4-4 game. Good luck to Jamie. He sounds like a great young man and a great baseball player.
On bragging, I don't brag to my friends or other parents on my kids team. I do tell my parents and my HSBBWEB family in forums that are appropriate. I see absolutely nothing wrong with being proud and talking about his successes. If I said everything he does on here I would be banned!

And as for being superstitious, never going to happen. I enjoy every moment of my sons playing. Why worry about the future because of some JUJU? Every career ends too soon. Enjoy it while it is in full swing because it will over in the blink of an eye.
Grandpop Bob,

It's Ok to brag a little. Sounds like Jamie is very talented. But sometimes it seems like I'm watching a replay... over and over and over!

It's not jealousy at all, but I know much more about Jamie than I do my own grandchildren or any other kid in the world!

Go ahead and be proud, though. Just remember, there are lots of kids who play baseball.
quote:
Originally posted by YoungGunDad:
I could be wrong but isn't this the game that Fanofgame's son played in....??

NECBL All Star team defeats Team USA in Fenway

YGD,
You are right. fan's son, Matt, was chosen as an NECBL All Star to play in this game at Fenway against Team USA.
Doesn't end there, though.
Tonight, Matt's Summer league team, the Newport Gulls, plays Team USA at Cardines field in Newport. They likely will crowd close to 3,000 and SRO into that great little stadium...with more watching from the beer garden at Mudville's built into the right field foul territory.
Still remember a certain DIII guy getting "ownage" of Huston Street in a previous Team USA/Gulls match up.
infielddad,

We are here in Newport.Arrived today.It is everything you said it was.Matt is having a wonderful summer.Last week he actually attended his first Redsox game at Fenway.Played there yesterday.Had awesome time.Played team USA today, lost 8-4.Matt having hits tonight, great at bats, two great at bats yesterday but no hits.Said it was a blast.He is hitting well with wood.

Team USA fed the NCBL team yesterday at Fenway, tonight the Gulls barbecued steaks for team USA.Met Matts host family.Awesome people.This is one of the best summers matt has ever experienced in colege baseball.

Parent weekend this weekend, Friday night we all take a boat trip alongside the harbor for dinner and drinks with team, parents, coaches etc.Host families go as well.

Playing for the Gulls is like being transported back intime when a bottle of pop and a hotdog and a game of baseball can beenjoyed.The announcers, the fans, all of it, classic baseball.

We are so excited to be here.
Last edited by fanofgame
Hey fanofgame and infielddad... I live less than 30 mins from Newport but have never been to a Gulls game. Now that my son's in high school, I've been hearing about what great baseball takes place there.

Fan, how long are you in RI? With weekend obligations and my son's schedule, it looks like the only game we can make is next Friday (vs. Laconia).

I'd love to meet and take in some great ball with some fellow longtime hsbaseball webbers. Smile
Last edited by Sandman
Sandman,

We will be here.Come on down and take in a game.Lots of fun.Just some old time baseball.Stadium was built in early 1900.I found out last night that The Babe, Satchell paige and many others plyed in the Gulls stadium. If You decide to come PM me and Ill give you my cell number so we can meet up.Hope to see you there.Great game for your son to see as well.Great baseball!!!
fan,
I am so happy to hear you are in Newport and getting to enjoy that experience with Matt.
It is very unique.
If you get the opportunity, meeting and talking with the ownership group is pretty darn interesting.
They went to school and played college baseball with Brian Sabean at Eckard.
It is hard to imagine how hard they work for about 44 weeks per year to create such a wonderful experience for the players, coaches, families and the City of Newport for 8-10 weeks.
Chuck Paiva, the GM, is a true baseball fan.
He was so kind, supportive and generous with our son, and so many others.
Erik Johnson from UC Davis is a teammate with Matt on the Gulls. Our son was darn happy being able, as a coach, to help get Erik placed in such a great situation.
Enjoy your stay and very much look forward to the cruise/family outing. The team really makes it special.
sandman, it is a trip you and your son can enjoy a lot.
Cardines really is a part of the baseball history in our Country.
Main Line Senior Legion: Anthony Knight tossed a no-hitter while striking out 10 as Wayne defeated Norwood, 12-1.

Other than this season in college, my son has pitched his whole life. Last night, he threw his first no-hitter, ever. And I missed it. Frown

He didn't even mention it. Another dad texted me this morning.
quote:
Originally posted by Coach_May:
There is not another person I know I respect more than Cleveland Dad. He is one of my best friends. Period, no if ands or but's. And his post on this topic comes from experience and so do mine. I learned a while back just when I start "bragging" things seem to go south. So I keep it to myself when things are going good and keep it to myself when they are not going so good. I have learned over the years that sometimes the best approach is to just be thankful in the good times and thankful in the tough times.

You go ahead and do your thing. Be thankful for your grand son. Enjoy every minute of it. You will learn and you will come to understand exactly what Cleveland Dad is talking about. You will still be very very proud and thankful for your grand son. You will just come to understand exactly what CD is talking about. And it will be OK.

I am very proud "thankfull" for both my boys. But I have learned to be just as proud "thankfull" after an 0-4 game as I am after a 4-4 game. Good luck to Jamie. He sounds like a great young man and a great baseball player.

Thanx Coach, I will keep that in mind! Over the years I NEVER bragged about my kids...always let someone else do it...kept very low keyed but now that I've become a Gramps and going on 80...something has changed in me...my kids don't know I'm on here because if they did they would ask me to "shut up" and stop braggin'...I was on a local, (state) sports site that everytime I used my Grandson's name, (Jamie)my daughter would write me and say, "Dad, please, please take that off"...I would and then finally I found this site and said, "hey, I can brag here because no-one knows Jamie here...Red So I've got to apologize to everyone that I have affended...
"please, please forgive me for braggin' about someone that I truely love as a person and THEN as an athlete"...Coach, your right about Jamie, he is a great young man and a great baseball player.

Thanx again Coach and ClevelandDad

Grandpop Bob

Bob - you are one of a kind and you have me 100% baffled and confused Confused

If your own daughter tells you she doesn't want you doing it, what makes you think we'll enjoy it even more and we are not even part of the family

We've had about six different posters try and explain the culture here to you and each time you come back with some type of explanation or justification. Now the justification seems to be your family does not know so it is OK? In pig latin, it is called icksnay on that idea

One of our very most respected posters here said he knows more about Jamie than his own grandson and I have to agree with him. Also, we don't have senior citizen discount cards here where you get extra bragging privileges because of age

We are a community of like-minded individuals who contribute to the goal of helping players to the next level (high school from summer ball, college from high school ball, and pro from either high school or college ball). Sure, every now and then one of us will post something about one of our own but more often than not it is in context to the higher principles we espouse here - helping players achieve the next level - whatever that may be.

For the life of me, I don't see how incessant posting/bragging about one individual helps our community achieve that goal. We believe in give and take to support this wonderful site. I've seen what you do and it appears all take. Sorry, but that is how I feel.

I'll sit back and wait for someone to take a shot at me for saying these things while defending your right to say what you have said, but our site is not about an absolute right to free speech. It is about sharing of ideas and helping kids achieve their goals.
Bob,
Keep on telling us about successes and accomplishments. It is one of the reasons I routinely come on here and read. Baseball is a game of failure. It is incredibly difficult to play in college or the pros and quite frankly, the number of stories about problems and injuries and not playing anymore far outweigh the success stories on here. We need more bragging and positive results from this oh so difficult game that we all love. Do not worry about the been there done that crew. They are merely discussing there opinions and everyone knows the phrase, " opinions are like...".

I love success stories!! We all need more!!
We've prob all had a moment like this in different venues but here's mine from a couple of nights ago.

My 12 yr old rips a nice single to right field and I'm smiling, then he takes this huge crazy turn at first and he must have misjudged their right fielder cuz that kid makes a great throw to 1st and my boy is out from here to Texas, but the ump called him safe.... Anyway, lots of opinions were voiced at the lad for taking a crazy turn, etc etc..

I decided a trip to the restroom would be a good thing for me at that moment to take a deep breath. As I go into the restroom there is a man there with his son who is in a wheelchair and he is assuring the boy he'll be out in a minute.

We gave each other a little eye contact and I told him I'd wait with his boy and he thanked me.

After I got back to the diamond I don't know if my kid got picked off, stole a base or was left stranded or whatever..... I had gotten what I needed when I saw those eyes of that 7 or 8 year old child looking up from his chair.....
Leaving for Atlanta in the morning for 18u Perfect Game East Cobb tourney. Wife can't get out of work but I took the week off to watch my son pitch. (thankfully, didn't have to quite my job!)

We have been coming to these things since 15u and it's always been one of the highlights of our year. He's felt the dissappointment of not making it to the play-off games to the exilleration of being in a dogpile after the last game was played. This is my son and I's vacation that we look forward to the most. Just two 'baseball bums' hanging out in Atlanta playing baseball,watching great tournament games, taking in Brave's games, movies, restaurants, chillin in the AC talking about the games, what scouts were there,etc.

What a week it always is. Sad that this will be his last East Cobb tourney but it has allowed us to build alot of really great memories together doing what we love most. Him playing and me watching. This week aught to prove challenging since we had to get him a tetnus and menengitis shot Wednesday for his college orientation & registration yesterday. One in each arm and boy are they sore. He pleaded with them to get them in the butt but they had to be in the arm. Oh well, this is one of those overcome the adversity moments with the help of Advil!
quote:
Originally posted by Doughnutman:
Bob,
Keep on telling us about successes and accomplishments. It is one of the reasons I routinely come on here and read. Baseball is a game of failure. It is incredibly difficult to play in college or the pros and quite frankly, the number of stories about problems and injuries and not playing anymore far outweigh the success stories on here. We need more bragging and positive results from this oh so difficult game that we all love. Do not worry about the been there done that crew. They are merely discussing there opinions and everyone knows the phrase, " opinions are like...".

I love success stories!! We all need more!!

Doughnutman its people like you that bring me back, thanx for the kind words...as far as the other guys I "wuv" them too...its just that this "old codger" gets his adrenalin up when he talks about his Grandson...will just tame it down a bit...thanx again Doughnutman...have a great Holiday!

Grandpop Bob
Last edited by Bob LaFazia
Just pulled off 75 in Marietta to grab a bite to eat at chick-f-a before hitting the hotel and wham!!! baseball players everywhere. We have arrived! The north side of Atlanta reeks of baseball for the month of July and what a pleasure to be here to soak it all in even if it's our last time. Utopia.

I am so thankful that my son decided NOT to take the summer off and instead sign up with a top level club like the Diamond Devils. And I believe right out of the gate he will be starting this afternoon vs Tampa Panthers so they'll have him later in the week. Time to sit back and enjoy the ride.
I heard it many many times as my kids were coming along. "You think having kids is great. Just wait till you hold that first grand child. You don't know nothin yet son!" I always thought to myself "Now come on there is no way you can ever love anything as much as your own child. "WRONG!"

When I see my grand daughter and she looks at me with those big blue eyes and says "I love you Papa." I melt. When I hold her I am in heaven. She is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. Simply an angel sent to me from God. There is nothing like it in the world to me. I love my boys so much. But it is something I can not describe about a grand child. Truly one of the great blessings that God gives us.

Just when we need something the most. Just when we have a void in our lives that needs to be filled. God fills it with something nothing else can.

Grandpop Bob I know how you feel. Try not to get too crazy about it. But I know its hard. Oh how I know its hard. Enjoy your grand son. God gave him to you to do just that.
quote:
Originally posted by Coach_May:
I heard it many many times as my kids were coming along. "You think having kids is great. Just wait till you hold that first grand child. You don't know nothin yet son!" I always thought to myself "Now come on there is no way you can ever love anything as much as your own child. "WRONG!"

When I see my grand daughter and she looks at me with those big blue eyes and says "I love you Papa." I melt. When I hold her I am in heaven. She is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. Simply an angel sent to me from God. There is nothing like it in the world to me. I love my boys so much. But it is something I can not describe about a grand child. Truly one of the great blessings that God gives us.

Just when we need something the most. Just when we have a void in our lives that needs to be filled. God fills it with something nothing else can.

Grandpop Bob I know how you feel. Try not to get too crazy about it. But I know its hard. Oh how I know its hard. Enjoy your grand son. God gave him to you to do just that.

Thanx coach, thats just how I feel, I love my kids but "adore" my Grandkids!

Grandpop Bob

Bob,

IMO, there is a huge difference in expressing the pride and love one has in their grand child, and bragging about their accomplishments as to say they are better than others. I agree with Doughnutman and think you should continue to relay all his accomplishments as I can see the joy it brings you.

To be honest, I was a little taken back when you were called out, especially by someone who usually sits on the sidelines in these type of debates.

While I agree with one poster that stated "It is about sharing of ideas and helping kids achieve their goals", the folks that disagree with your posts can simply do what I do with the "Unusually Unusual" and ignore it.

Keep it up Bob, I for one don't mind reading them.
Last edited by Danny Boydston
The discussion referred to above was posted in an area reserved for non-baseball (many times political in nature) related posts commonly not expected to contribute to the mission of sharing of baseball ideas and helping kids achieve their baseball goals. It had nothing to do with the benefits or negative aspects of bragging up your grandchildren.

The picture is of a legal very popular rifle...not "machine gun" (one shot per one trigger pull semi automatic) civilian version of a .223 caliber rifle owned by hundreds of thousands of Americans and in use by virtually every law enforcement or public safety department in the country.

The discussion was regarding government debt and Wisconsin's response to that debt and the fragile nature of civility. People forget to say "please and thank you" all of the sudden when you start taking food from their table, money from their pockets and resources from their communities. The post had nothing at all to do with baseball or grandchildren.

Personally, I think the internet is vast enough to allow a proud grandfather to brag a bit or a lot for that matter. I kinda feel like he's earned that right.
Our family enjoyed a few days in the Pacific Northwest watching collegiate league games where my son is playing this summer. It was nice and cool (mid-60's for highs) which was a nice break from the 100 degree days in Texas. It was also nice to meet a fellow hsbaseballweb poster, AZ Diamond Dog. These summer leagues are a great experience for the players!
Last edited by cheapseats
Figured this belongs here as well..

--

Why should I have to say this?….

Given the recent pull/push regarding “accomplishments”…..It might be helpful to take a look at the HSBBW in ways that we all profess to understand, highly value and promote…as a team.

In team play everybody plays a role and does a job to the best of their ability. With good leadership players come to see, and buy into the team as a vehicle to a greater goal. Players understand that individual accomplishment (while great and noteworthy) is far less satisfying and far less rare that what can be accomplished as a team. In any team culture (be it a baseball team, the HSBBW, or a family) overt bragging and bringing attention to one’s self beyond a level that supports team goals, beyond a level fits into team culture, and beyond one that takes into account one’s supporting role in the team structure, can be both counterproductive to team goals and personally ostracizing, and can very easily shut down the very results that a player/team may want: communication, attention and respect…and in the end love.

Despite the current fascination with Twitter and Facebook there IS a difference between narcissism/advertising and communication. Most definitions of communication include the terms (exchange) and one could easily go out on a limb and say the ultimate value of communication is not the information itself but using two way interaction to foster a greater understanding and depth of relationship over time, which only makes the team and the individual stronger.

On the other hand advertising is defined as “the act or practice of calling public attention to one's product, service, need, etc”…nowhere here does it say anything about the two way process of communication or relationship or team building …or long term goals or bigger priorities. Even great advertisers, great marketers understand the fine line between me and we, between advertising and the real two way exchange of information…and listen closely to their teams/market culture and work within that structure brilliantly. The current fascination with celebrity, with narcissistic self importance, with the endless spewing of personal minutia is often counterproductive to both the individual, the team and the culture. And when it becomes abusive, decisive action is often taken by the team, or team leaders to rectify the threat to team unity and culture…for example, the moderators moving the Karma Thread to the HSBBW Gulag.

How does that apply to the HSBBW? Yes, every young man who has a secondary face here is a superstar, a celebrity. And every baseball journey should be celebrated. But if we as team players and as denizens of the HSBBW want others to listen to our posts and our son’s accomplishments (not just spew them) and tell their amazing stories…then we have to stay out of the “extreme” and become team players. We have to judge the culture, support and respect the sensitivities of others, encourage them and their son’s endeavors/accomplishments, understand what might be something pretty wonderful and what is minutia and generally become a team player. On the other hand if all we want is narcissistic advertising them we need to establish our own twitter account or blog (as there just ain't enough room in a twitter account for MY son’s accomplishments).

The real beauty of the HSBBW is that it is a team, it has a team culture, and that is what sets it apart and makes it so special. It exists primarily, not to advertise but to help us all understand, educate, share (not spew), avoid the pitfalls of, and to celebrate the youth baseball experience. But there has to be a balance. And the goals are far bigger than any one account, or the stats for one game. Each baseball journey has lessons to give…most are bigger than stats and results and all star teams…some are very hard earned. It is that that I find the most interesting, fascinating and amazing in your sons stories…great stories of perseverance…overcoming the odds…beating the system so clearly numerically stacked against them. There is no better place for celebrating the journey, the lessons, and the humanity…not simply the statistics. I do like the statistics, the all star teams, the 5/5 days…but when this board becomes nothing other than a minute by minute youth baseball twitter account, the team will break down, and something special will be lost.

By the way…MY son got out of bed today…

Cool 44
Jamie won his 4th summer game, beat 1st place team, 7 innings, 4 hits, 12 K's...Box score

Grandpop Bob

--------------------------------------------------
Jamie wins 5th summer game, 7 innings, 1 to 0, no walks, 9 K's...Box score

Grandpop Bob

Jamie wins 6th summer game, 6 to 0, 7 innings, 4 hitter, gets 2 hits, now 6 & 1 for summer sessionBox score

Grandpop Bob

Last edited by Bob LaFazia
Just came back from a few days watching son play in collegiate league in NY. It's amazing how the community gets involved with the team and makes everyone feel welcome.

Was very happy to hear host family tell us how much they like our son and that he is their favorite player that they've had stay with them over the years. Whether it was said for his mother and my benefit or not it still made us feel good.

Managed to stay an extra day because he was starting on the mound for the first time in his collegiate career and came away with win- going 6 plus with no earned runs. (Even watched him play black jack for first time in a casino. Lots of laughs.)

All in all a fine trip and a nice summer for him. Its a unique experience for those who get the opportunity.

"Was very happy to hear host family tell us how much they like our son and that he is their favorite player that they've had stay with them over the years. Whether it was said for his mother and my benefit or not it still made us feel good."

I think it helps that he knows the business end of a clothes pin!

Seriously...good to read that you enjoyed your trip and your son is doing well!

Wow igball...your post really brings back memories! I used to do the same thing.

I remember when I was a kid, well actually a young man, OK, OK, 29 years old. I can't tell you how often I would pin a card to a spoke and then hop on my ten speed and race off to town.

A roaring and throaty sounding motorcycle barreling down the walk, moms with buggies yelling something or other, kids scattering like frightened bunnies, grandpas shaking their fists, their leashed dogs doing the same!

On one day would be New York Yankee Oscar Gamble riding my spoke, another day would be Von Hayes of the Cleveland Indians or maybe a sailing Tom Paciorek decked out in his Seattle Mariner's uniform. Fun days...wind in your face, only indigenous bugs in your teeth, and helmet law free! No worries, none at all. But that was going to change.

I should remember what the weather was like that day, but I can't. The day started out much like the other carefree days of April '83. But the 29th was different. It was memorable. It was the day I first met my bail bondsman. It was the day my freewheeling 'motorcycle' riding came to a sudden and inglorious end. Why? It was because of the particular card I decided to mount on my spoke that afternoon.

I pinned Lee's card on there tight like I always did with the others. But something was different this time. His slight smile did not portend of what was about to be unleashed. His eyes gave a hint and his hair, like the early flames of an eventual headline screaming inferno, was turning upward, searching for the needed airtime to sustain the conflagration about to burst from beneath his Cubbie cap.

As soon as I started to pedal, the boyish 175cc rumble that always cleared a path for me changed to something quite different. A madman sized 1000cc rumbling rant boomed down the street. The faster I pedaled to escape from the outburst the louder it got. Beds of colorful spring flowers wilted as I whizzed past, their once beautiful petals seeking refuge beneath the bark dust. Songbirds, treating the neighborhood with their lively lilt, suddenly silenced...some falling to the ground without even one flap of their wings. The sidewalk strewn with abandoned buggies. Kids blushing, yet still scribbling down notes. Grandpas searching their pockets frantically for any medication to make it stop. Their dogs running away with the leash flying behind them and their tails tucked between their legs.

I hadn't made it more than halfway to town before not one, not two, but three squad cars converged on me. I could see them without any problem, but there wasn't a chance I could hear their blaring sirens over Lee's loud and agitated rant. All three officers testified later that they had, using their loudspeaker, instructed me several times to pull over and walk away from my bike. I didn't obey them...couldn't hear them. After a three or four minute piercing and profanity laced pursuit their 'spike strip', looking much like a harmless garden hose at the speed I was going, brought the whole episode to a tire popping conclusion. Me, out of breath and cuffed. Lee, spent and still smoldering on my spoke.

Last edited by gotwood4sale

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.