Skip to main content

The thread started a year ago was awesome...great advice...great stories.
http://hsbaseballweb.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2706080091/m/6121027881

Now it's a year later. Where is everyone's sons heading for next summer?
(I should be able to post some news within the next week, as soon as the contract is signed).
********************************************** Baseball players don't make excuses...they make adjustments.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Too funny, the last post is from DK's Falmouth folks. Big Grin

A good example of how great the summer experience is, we still keep in touch and they came to watch Dave play this year.

They were our connection to all that was happening that summer, reports from the field when he was pitching, reports after games, and after the summer sent all of the article from the newsppapers. The highlight of our cape trip was spending the weekend with them.
My son is going back to Kitsap Bluejackets (West Coast Collegiate Baseball League) in Bremerton, Washington, right across from Seattle. He signed his contract for 2008 before he left in August this summer. Great coaches, great team, great owners, the best host parents, wonderful weather, great experience. Great place for parents to vacation!

For an idea of what summer wood bat is all about, see this link for a video.

http://web.kitsapsun.com/1newsroom/545/bluejackets/index.html
Still Learning,

You'll be almost in my back yard as my office is in Woodstock, and our home is in Strasburg, 15 minutes away. Feel free to PM questions to your heart's content.

My son will be playing Valley League as well, but I'll wait till he signs his contract before saying where. This will be our fourth summer with a son playing in the Valley League.

Great league, and the Shenandoah Valley is a wonderful place to be for the summer.

H-1
My son.. a freshman pitcher at U of Toledo... will be heading off to play for the Winchester Royals in the Valley...heard great things about the league as a whole with fan support and treatment of players..as well as competition...I know mom was hoping he'd stay closer to home but you only get one shot and this is where his coach wants him. He's already got it figured out that he'll be sampling some east coast seafood...especially those crabcakes...on a daily basis.
Rick K, those crabcakes are best about 90 minutes to the east in Baltimore. The Valley's seafood eateries aren't bad, but not at the level with the seafood places on the coast. Best bet in Winchester is 220 Seafood...

Winchester gets very good local support, good crowds; the only drawback is that gosh awful "Are You Loyal to the Royals" song they play every night-it's dreadful, but sticks in your head, making it even worse.

Tell da momma that games are on the internet nightly, and Winchester has loads of hotels and food when you visit.
quote:
Originally posted by tcw_17:
Quick question

How often are DII and DIII players placed on these mid to upper level summer league teams and if they are placed do they recieve the same playing time as DI guys?

These are good questions. I would say it is fairly often in my experience. I think the most important factor is the ability of the head coach to get his players placed. I believe some D3 coaches get more of their kids placed than some D1's.

Playing time seemd like it was distributed fairly in my experience but I am aware of situations where some kids did not get to play as much. I noticed as the summer wore along, that the more productive players started to get more time. Initially it seemed kids were given more chances to show what they could do. Injuries take a toll on almost every summer team and usually there are many opportunities to play sooner or later.
quote:
Originally posted by tcw_17:
Quick question

How often are DII and DIII players placed on these mid to upper level summer league teams and if they are placed do they recieve the same playing time as DI guys?

tcw, in our experience at the DIII level, playing in summer leagues has a lot to do with the DIII head coach. Some believe fervently in placing players and others don't.
To be honest, the only league where I have seen the DIII player have trouble getting playing time is the Cape. On the other hand, you just don't see many DIII's get a contract in the Cape.
For the most part, DIII players get to compete equally for playing time once the summer games start. If you play well, you play more.
If you looked at the results of the Green Bay team in the Northwoods this summer, you will see several DIII players and they played a lot and at a very high level.
Our son played 2 summers in the NECBL and was treated quite fairly by each team. He was given an opportunity to show he belonged and then when he performed well, talent and production were the only factors. Being from a DIII wasn't important.
Last edited by infielddad
In the league (SCBL) my son (D3) is going to, here is the rundown based on last year's rosters...courtesy of my crack research team:

D1...56 players. Ranges from 3 to 14.

D2...41 players. Spread out pretty evenly among the teams. High of 10 on one team.

JC...30 players. Range of 9 to zero.

D3...16. No more than 3 on any roster.

NAIA...15 players. High of 7 (NAIA area and plays at NAIA school with the coach from an NAIA program).

From looking at other rosters, it appears the CPL starts leaning more to D1...with D2 and D3 dispersed on teams, but not as concentrated as the SCBL.

Next one I looked at was the Valley League...with a much higher percent of D1. Hokieone can comment on that league, though.

Now...what I have heard from one D3 coach, is that it is getting harder to place some of the D3 guys...that the teams would rather have a D1 redshirt or sub who rarely played, as opposed to a D3 guy that starts. That, I am sure, is just one impression of the situation. Of course, another way to look at it is...
..."How hard do the D3 coaches work to place their better players, worried about them getting snagged up by larger programs?

(now back to you regularly scheduled thread for the 08 placements)
JT.......very good research.

One would think the JUCO players assigned are the ones maybe on the transfer radar screen. It would be interesting if your crack staff tracked a few from your database to see if they are enrolled in a D1 currently.

D2/3 and NAIA distinguishment never meant much to me as far as talent. Just based on the Draft and watching games, ALL COLLEGIATE levels of baseball have tremendous talent. There are so many college baseball spaces available, so the best get them regardless of classification/division, in my opinion. Ohio has Marietta, rich in history and baseball tradition who could beat anybody on any given day.

I have read various reasons why kids get summer assignments, with opinions from both sides of the spectrum. One person says the kid needs the PT because he didn't get much in Spring? Another says the privileged get the assignments? Others say the coach assigns them just to keep playing?

If the summer leagues are meant to emulate what minor league baseball is like, then one would surmise that a coach assigns kids who may have a shot at that, so provides them the added exposure.

TPM said something that caught my attention. Some kids are recruited and expected to only be on the college team for 3 years, then get drafted. Me thinks based on that, summer assignments are a tool college coaches use to expedite that process as well as getting their own players more time on the field.

Summer assignment or not, most diamond rats will find a place to play in the "off-season"
OS,
Many college players at some schools going into their third year don't even get summer assignments. Mine got two summer assignments, his first, he didn't go, second year he went and third he wasn't placed or offered. Wonder why, because they didn't expect him or the others that were drafted to be available in the summer. If you were drafted and not sure as to what to do, they will place you in a summer league for you to show your stuff a bit longer until you decide what you want to do.

I don't think this is unusual.
quote:
Originally posted by OLDSLUGGER8:
TPM, confused on your reply???

would he have pitched for a summer league in 2007?
Smile

Most likely bewen asked to, but maybe not due to pitch load.

To your post above, summer league assignments can be used as a way to get players more playing time, or to help show them off to scouts, especially where schools don't get a lot of scouts in attendance at all games.
Last edited by TPM
quote:
Originally posted by Tiger Paw Mom:
quote:
Originally posted by OLDSLUGGER8:
TPM, confused on your reply???

would he have pitched for a summer league in 2007?
Smile

Most likely bewen asked to, but maybe not due to pitch load.

To your post above, summer league assignments can be used as a way to get players more playing time, or to help show them off to scouts, especially where schools don't get a lot of scouts in attendance at all games.

I think I said that? Anyway, I owe you an edit.

Would he have pitched in the Cape again? Cool
Last edited by OLDSLUGGER8
quote:
In the league (SCBL) my son (D3) is going to, here is the rundown based on last year's rosters...courtesy of my crack research team:

D1...56 players. Ranges from 3 to 14.

D2...41 players. Spread out pretty evenly among the teams. High of 10 on one team.

JC...30 players. Range of 9 to zero.

D3...16. No more than 3 on any roster.

NAIA...15 players. High of 7 (NAIA area and plays at NAIA school with the coach from an NAIA program).

That is interesting. Could your crack research team check the break outs for the Valley League and the Coastal Plain (CPL)? I believe you may find more D3 players in the Valley and more D2 players in the CPL. Two summers ago, the pitching in the Valley League was unbelievable. The first game my son played there, a freshman pitcher from Auburn threw a perfect game - that is right, a perfect game. My son was the only kid on the night to even work a three ball count and I was proud of him for it Smile The families we met in Virginia were wonderful to him.

We loved every game we attended in the CPL. It was a true minor league experience. We visited Columbia, Fayetteville NC, and Florence SC. It was neat to be able to drink a beer at a game for the first time. The highlight of the summer was playing Team Japan and we beat them with a walk-off homer in the ninth by a D2 player from Francis Marion named Greg Phelps. My son got the pleasure of facing Yuki Saito who is supposed to be the next great one out of Japan and he had a base hit and rbi off of him to tie the game late.
Last edited by ClevelandDad
Our Freshman is going to play in in the Coastal Plains League (CPL). Anyone have experience with the CPL?

Also, any ideas on what the cost to us will be over the summer? I read on this thread that we might be required to pay the host family for housing? Also, I assume the host family would not feed their young men? Do most guys get a part time job or something?

Thanks!
quote:
Originally posted by jonr12:
Our Freshman is going to play in in the Coastal Plains League (CPL). Anyone have experience with the CPL?

Also, any ideas on what the cost to us will be over the summer? I read on this thread that we might be required to pay the host family for housing? Also, I assume the host family would not feed their young men? Do most guys get a part time job or something?

Thanks!

jonr - my son loved the CPL. Several of the games had over 5,000 in attendance and the players were treated to nice meal spreads both before and after games both home and away. They traveled in nice buses and stayed in nice hotels when necessary. One of their destinations was the Outer Banks where the Wright brothers had some success. Many of the stadiums were current or former minor league parks.

Both in the Valley and the CPL, my son's room and board was provided by the host family. I am not sure if every team or family associated with the league operated this way.
quote:
Originally posted by jonr12:

Thanks!

It depends 100% upon the host family. You likely won't know until your kid shows up at the host family house. My son didn't pay for anything except eating out and movies etc. I think many host families decide after the kid arrives!! Make a good first impressionSmile
Last edited by CollegeParentNoMore
My son played in the Valley League on the New Market Rebels last summer and will again this summer. He had a GREAT experience. The Best host family you could ask for--great fan support--made some good friends. He is quite happy to be going back. My only complaint: the internet broadcasters were sometimes BRUTAL! They would get lost in their conversation and forget to tell us what was happening in the game!
As a parent, I highly reccommend the Valley League, and I think my son would say the same as a player.
We have hosted players in the Coastal Plain League for the past 6 or 7 seasons. They have come from all over the country..... California, Georgia, New York, Florida, Puerto Rico, etc. We have enjoyed each of them and still keep in touch with some of them. We have always provided food when they are home, but they are on the road a great deal of the time. The team provides meals after each home game, but it has not been uncommon to wake up at 2:00 am to the smell of something cooking in the kitchen. They "do" get hungry!! None of the host families that I know of charge anything or ask for money for food. We volunteer to host them and yes, the grocery bill does increase substantially in the summer, but we knew that it would going into it.
My son is headed to Northwoods league this summer. Last year he stayed & played at home for a Texas Collegiate League team but since there was some question about how many teams they would end up with this summer the coaches want him to go where he'll see a larger variety of hitters. He's excited about the opportunity and I'm excited to experience some sub 100 degree games. We hosted a player last year and had a great time, hopefully that will bring good kharma ...
Congrats Hintite! My son will most likely return to the Northwoods League again this coming summer. He played for the Thunder Bay Border Cats and had a great time. There was some worry as to whether the team would remain in Thunder Bay, but has since sold the franchise to a Thunder Bay businessman and they would really like to resign our son. Your son should have a great time, like our's did. The bus rides can be long, but this will be the closest he'll get to the minor leagues while in college in terms of play, logistics, number of games, etc.

Do you know what team he'll be playing for? I also understand another poster's son (iheartbb) will be playing for the LaCrosse Loggers.

Again, Congratulations!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.