Skip to main content

My son has been contacted about playing for a summer team in the SCBL (NC/SC/TN). What surprised me is the expense involved. Is this typical of the mid-low tier leagues? If anyone does not wish to get into details publicly, please PM me.
********************************************** Baseball players don't make excuses...they make adjustments.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

We've been down this road before on the HSBBW...try running a search...You should find some good threads...

RE cost...I've been told on the HSBBW that no one pays to play in any "real" league...

...we have 5 total summers collegiate summer league experience...in 4 different leagues, (Mid to upper mid in tier) from east coast to west coast and in the middle...paid $200-$400 for the summer to each team. IMO easily worth every penny in overall value...received housing, travel, uni, coaching, three paid trips to the NBC world series in Wichita in August...

Cool 44
Last edited by observer44
OK...to give some details.
    Players are housed in apts...$675 for the summer including utilities. Not sure if food included.
    $600 team fee including a $200 cash deposit.
    $300 fund raiser, details to be made available by the team.

So, if we add in food, and travel, we're potentially looking at well over $2K in expenses.
I'm wondering JT. Is this something set up by his college coach, or does it sound like they're soliciting? I agree this sounds like a pretty expensive invite, and maybe a good argument for summer school.
Mine played in a mid-tier league last summer, and it was perhaps more a typical experience- host family, no fees, food & transport provided. All I had to do was get him there and provide some spending money.
Last edited by spizzlepop
in years past when the economy was good it didn't cost much to play, if anything. in the necbl it cost between 80k and 100k to run a team. some do it for a lot less than 80k but not to many.it cost between 15k -20k for transportation. most of this is raised from sponsors. and the economy being what it is?

but it is an experience of a lifetime. priceless.
quote:
Originally posted by 20dad:
in years past when the economy was good it didn't cost much to play, if anything. in the necbl it cost between 80k and 100k to run a team. some do it for a lot less than 80k but not to many.it cost between 15k -20k for transportation. most of this is raised from sponsors. and the economy being what it is?

but it is an experience of a lifetime. priceless.

I agree with 20dad. The preimer leagues have opportunities to raise money (big sponsors) unlike the smaller leagues so many fees are covered. Plus they raise lots of money on attendance, especially with their allstar game. There are costs involved in anything. Sons board was 50 a week, because he drove he got miledge only (7 cents a mile) and paid for many of his meals (he is a bottomless pit) though his great summer mom left him lunch everyday and took him to great seafood dinners when he was off. He also was given a job, so that helped to pay for some expenses. It still cost us about a grand for the summer, most likely more if he had not worked to pay for some expenses.

I do beleive years ago MLB used to give money, they can't do it anymore.

Parents overspend money on showcases, tournies, travel teams, lessons, etc when their players are young, when half of it doesn't mean much. This is a drop in the bucket and certainly worth every penny spent.
quote:
Parents overspend money on showcases, tournies, travel teams, lessons, etc when their players are young, when half of it doesn't mean much. This is a drop in the bucket and certainly worth every penny spent.

My sentiment, exactly, after I thought about it some more. We've never been shy about spending bucks on AAU, travel, hotels, travel to legion tourneys, hotels on the road for college...so why start now. Besides, during the day, he will have a chance to do his internship for his Sport Mgt degree.
quote:
Originally posted by baseballregie:
Son played in the Northwoods League and the Alaska Baseball League and didn't pay a dime. I thought that's the way all the wood bat collegiate leagues operated.

How can this be? Doesn't NCAA not allow free room and board? I was under the impression that the players had to do this, although some families don't want it, it's required, unless things have changed.
Last edited by TPM
quote:
Originally posted by Tiger Paw Mom:
quote:
Originally posted by baseballregie:
Son played in the Northwoods League and the Alaska Baseball League and didn't pay a dime. I thought that's the way all the wood bat collegiate leagues operated.

How can this be? Doesn't NCAA not allow free room and board? I was under the impression that the players had to do this, although some families don't want it, it's required, unless things have changed.

This sounds like something the team that's charging you to play would tell you. IMHO, it's my understanding that as long as you're not being paid to play, then you haven't violated any rules. I'm not sure what these "Collegiate Summer Leagues" have evolved into but it sounds like they're getting creative. Many if not all of these teams are money making ventures for the team owners. I think receiving free room and board is a fair exchange.

Son's experience in Alaska this past summer was challenging to say the least. Don't think I would've wanted to pay for it but I'm sure he'll remember it forever.
quote:
Originally posted by BobbleheadDoll:
quote:
I think receiving free room and board is a fair exchange.

It is up to the host. If you put it like that as an exchange for playing it is a payment in the eyes of the NCAA. That is a form of getting paid to play BB.

My son's arraingement was not unique. The entire Northwoods League and ABL is doing this. The kids live with host parents and they and the teams that they play for and against (when on the road) help to feed them. It's not dependent on how I say it. This has to have been worked out with the NCAAs knowledge.
The arrangement is not with the team it is the host that is not charging you. We had guys all over thye College leagus and some paid and some didn't. It is up to the host.
NCAA doen't allow you to receive any kind of benefit and you can't be compensated for playing BB. You can be reimbersed for expenses but that is not one that can be compensated for.
We had been told that we may have to pay room and board and it depended on the host. If you sayed in an apt you paid room and board. We had guys in the Cape to Alaske and there was no difference. Most didn't pay for room and board.
My son was offered to go to the Florida Instructional laegue and it costs about $1500. I
Last edited by BobbleheadDoll
quote:
by regie: think receiving free room and board is a fair exchange

bbhddl: It is up to the host. If you put it like that as an exchange for playing it is a payment in the eyes of the NCAA. That is a form of getting paid to play BB.
I think regie meant figuatively, and was not speaking as an accountant

I have a few friends closely involved soo, a comment on something else above ..

summer league teams are NOT money makers for the owners ..
their operating budjets are significant, however that said ownership DOES recieve some benefits ..

1) the service they provide is highly regarded by repective college programs

2) their input is valued by college & pro sources

3) their team creates community pride along with regional/national publicity

4) they are a significant long term influence on local youth programs

5) they CAN attract alot of advertising

6) they are a magnet for good summer coaches & often a stepping stone to entry level college jobs

jmo, I'd think it shabby and taking advantage to pass along anything more than minimal fees to the college players that make their team possible yr in yr out

AND, I'd also suspect that a team saddling it players w/heavy fees was weakly organized and would be among the most likely to have big problems or fold
Last edited by Bee>
TPM ...
quote:
I do beleive years ago MLB used to give money, they can't do it anymore.

If memory serves me correctly (and who knows these days), when the NCAA 'sanctioned' leagues, MLB was involved in supporting the sanctioned leagues financially. Now that the sanctioning aspect has gone by the wayside, the support from MLB has subsided with it.

As far as our son, he paid nothing (no one thin dime for anything) when he was in the Alaska league in 02 and a small stipend of $50 a week when he was in the Cape ... but after a couple of weeks, his host family in the Cape started to tear up my checks.

He was fortunate as I know living conditions and costs can vary significantly for each league. The question, I guess, would be : is the benefit equal to or greater than the cost? Will he face good competition, get good playing time, etc., to make the whole experience worth his baseball while?
I think maybe in some leagues they have set rules regarding some things. In other words, is it fair that someone stays with one family and doesn't pay and someone stays with another and does pay, maybe that is why they have the stipend. That may be where my confusion is (yes I get confused sometimes). If the family doesn't want it I suppose they can return it to the team.

I agree with FBM, I do beleive MLB helped the leagues when they were sanctioned, which they are not any more, so that means leagues need $$$ and all leagues run things differently.
quote:
Sad to say but the $ MLB was putting into the collegiate leagues now goes to develop Latin American players.

And I am sure some of those teams are also spending their American dollars for the privilege of merely 'talking' with a potential star and then almost doubling that amount to sign him ... imagine how many inter-city programs would benefit from $90 million. Do I sound cynical? I am ... I wish they $$ would stay here to support home grown talent more.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.