Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Having been to both events...CABA World Series, Crystal Lake, in 2001 and the USA Baseball Junior Olympics in 2001 and 2002.

There is no comparison.

While the CABA event is well run and has 3 to 4 competitive teams, the fact that they have very few teams from California, Florida and Texas, says it all.

Any competitive baseball team should go to the USA Baseball Junior Olympics competitions (when we played they were held in Arizona and Florida) because of the "national" character of the teams; and, importantly, because they select the Junior Olympics National team from the attendees.
TBS, the JO's in Florida is a superior event also. Both of these events are fantastic tournaments. It's just nice to have one of the top World Series right here in Illinois in CABA. The Seminoles Tournament is a great national event and so is the Battle in the South Tournament in Tennessee this year also. All four of these events will be high profiled tourneys. I think, but I'm not sure that the Perfect Game 15u Tournament is in Georgia and that it's a wood bat Tournament, which is always interesting. Should be a very eventful season. I'm glad Illinois will have some high profile tournaments right here in our backyard.
I also think that Fran Pell will be running some CABA tournaments at the Ho Chunk facility in Lynwood. They should have a few good tournaments over the summer also. Roundtripper in Indiana also will have a few national tournaments at their new facility. I'm not sure if the 15 and 16u divisions will be highlighted though. The younger divisions always draw well in the Roundtripper events.
I just looked at last years caba 15u and 18 of the 42 teams were from Illinois, around 42% another 4 or so from Wi. and Indiana to bring it to 51%. With thos numbers it would be hard to beleive that it is a very competitive tournament. Again I think it is well run and all that it just seems like every year there is more and more from Illinois.
Topgun, the 15 and 16u tournaments are loaded this year. The TBS Tournament of Champions in Ohio, the Seminoles Slugfest in Illinois, the Bulls Classic in Indiana are all going to be big time 15u tournaments. The AAU Nationals in Tennessee, and the CABA World Series here in Illinois will both be big time World Series. The 16u tournaments are featured by the Junior Olympics in Florida and Arizona. The 16u Perfect Game is also very strong in Georgia. Some great elite travel baseball tournaments this summer. Should be some great baseball.
The 15 and 16 year old divisions seem to have many really strong tournaments. For anyone that's not familiar with the 16u Junior Olympics, let me tell you it's an awesome event. Of course our top teams will choose to participate in the 72 team tournament in Arizona. There will be two Junior Olympic tournaments that last week in June. 72 teams in Arizona, and 72 teams in Florida. A truely great event. The Arizona Panthers and possibly one or two other teams from Arizona are probably going to travel to Illinois for the Seminoles Slugfest tourney on Memorial Weekend. I heard alot of good things about this tournament, and we're looking forward to possibly getting another crack at playing the Seminoles. They're a very good team, and we also have seen the Sparks play last year also. I know the guys on our current team are anxious for a rematch against the West Florida Young Guns and the Seminoles next year. For those that are looking for another really competitive World Series event. Triple Crown which is very popular here in Arizona is hosting the 15 and 16u Triple Crown World Series in Steamboat, Colorado. Any of you guys from Illinois want to see another fantastic setting for baseball check out Steamboat. Happy New Year!
Baseball1985, you guys have some very good teams in Zona. Hope to see the Panthers and a few other teams from Arizona in Illinois at the Seminoles Slugfest. This tournament was probably the best event in Illinois last year at the 14u level. I'm sure it will be a great tournament again this year. The Seminoles do a great job of drawing many top teams from around the country to Illinois for their tournament. P.S. Baseball1985, your Arizona Cardinals football team may be leaving your town. Maybe two pro football teams in Chicago. The Chicago Cardinals back in Chicago? What's the scoop in Arizona, or do you guys just don't care about the Cardinals anymore?
Behind the Plate, there's maybe a select few 15 and 16u teams that could defeat some very good Varsity teams. Though most would have a tough time. I agree with you in the fact that these travel teams and tournaments are the best competition. There's obviously good and bad Varsity H.S. teams, just as there's good and bad travel teams.
I reread your post, and you said they would give certain varsity teams a run for their money. That's much different than saying defeating them easily or even saying defeating them at all. I do think some people have to wake up as well and realize there's some pretty bad JV and varsity teams also. I'll always agree that travel baseball competition night in and night is better, but I'm not going to get into comparing elite travel teams in matchups against certain varsity teams. Each team is a different situation. Like I've stated HS. ball is good and elite travel baseball is even better. Smart players will play both and succeed at both great opportunities to play the game of baseball.
Behind the Plate and Rebel 222,

At the 15 year level there are no teams that "would give most varsity teams a run for their money". Not even a "select few 15 and 16u teams".

There are a few high school teams that struggle year in and year out. If you talk to the coaches, the main purpose for the existence of those teams is student involvement. The alternative is gangs, drugs or pre-mature death.
Maybe those "select" 15/16 teams could beat a team like that...maybe not. I guess it would depend if the "out of staters" could make their flight for the big showdown.

Good to see you visiting more often Rebel222. Addicting eh?
rebel222, what he said was give most varsity teams a run for the money. That is quite a bit different than what you posted and I don't beleive it even after coaching 15 and 16 year old travel for a while. I guess where I differ than many on this site is I have not seen a ELITE 15 and 16 year old travel team here in illinois, are they out there and I just missed them, maybe. I just think that the word "ELITE" is way overused on this website.
isc, don't you think the coaches that you mentioned, the ones that keep the student involved out of drugs gangs, ect are maybe the most important ones? If they keep those kids on the right path through sports they will not only help thwm in high school, but help them become effective, contributing members of our society after high school.
I would completely agree with the comment made if the statement was; elite 15u and 16u travel teams would beat almost all freshman and sophmore teams. I think that would be the case. Varsity may be a stretch. When these elite travel teams are 17 and 18 in two years, then they would most likely defeat many varsity teams. When you have top players from your state on one specific roster to go along with adding top players from other states because of your programs success, then that obviously gives you more talent on your roster than any local HS. team.
Grandslam, that last remark is far more realistic. As Lineshot said however is also true. The word "Elite" is so overused it is ridiculous.

I just thought about it and on my son's Freshman and then his Sophomore teams there were about 7-10 kids who played on Travel Teams and I'm sure they all thought they were "Elite" but were in fact on teams that we all have seen for years......and then a few that played on the White Sox Academy Team, The Hurricanes and Top Tier. The High School Teams have been good, winning conference each year, but the point is that I'll bet many HS Teams are full of kids playing Travel and..... 1.If all the kids are travel players, why would Travel Teams dominate them? and....2. If everyone in the world is playing "Elite" Travel then just how "Elite" can it be? I've seen #9 Hitters on a Soph. HS Team hit the ball off the wall against an "Elite" Travel pitcher....and scoring more than a few runs off of him. Great thing about games.......when you are out there on the mound or in the batter's box, all the hype in the world does you no good at all.

I know of kids on "Elite" Travel Teams who don't even start on their HS Teams.....sometimes because they aren't special players, sometimes because the coach thinks someone else projects better...sometimes because the coach makes a mistake.

We have a lot of very nice players around here and several who have proved to be very good....but we get carried away with it.....especially at younger (14-16)ages. My hope is that my son is good at 17 and above....and I'm confident that nothing he did at 14 or 15 is going to matter at that point.
Lineshot,

I don't think we have seen eye to eye on a lot of things , but I will agree with you on the way people describe teams that play regionally. I don't like the term Travel Ball . I really don't like the term Elite.
I think what your seeing is a whole lot more teams out there. Talent is being spread out. At least at the 15 - 16. Illinois has no elite Program as of yet, that being at any level.
There are teams that think they are but the fact is a team that seperates itself from the rest is one that has been established for longer then 3-4 years. Have this same talk in 10 years, God willing, and if one of the top teams from our area is producing college and pro players , then I say you have a elite program.
Fastball, there's exceptions to every situation. I'm sure there's players that start on their HS. team that wouldn't be able to crack the starting lineup on elite select travel teams. I agree the word "elite" is used alot. I use it as well, but look at the word contender in professional sports that's always used to much. There's teams that think their team is good when there not. So I guess the word good is over used also. This thread was about top 15, and 16u tournaments. Behind the Plate should've started a new thread with his comparison to who would win certain games.
Lineshot,

Your right... the coaches of those teams deserve a lot of credit. But so do the kids. Being out of the game in the second inning and seeing a mainly right handed batting team all of a sudden become a left handed swinging team cannot be fun. Talk about mental toughness and commitment to not to become another statistic.

Grandslam1, I agree with what you said about travel vs. high school, at an age related level but that is not what was stated earlier.

Here is where "my core 15 year olds" ended up and will be playing this year.

Valparaiso
Northwestern
Dayton
Augustana
St. Johns/NY
U of I - Football
University of Chicago
Illinois State
U of I - Chicago
Loras

They were a extremely talented group both on the field and in the classroom. They were not elite but they are now. At 15, they would have lost against almost every varsity high school team that I have ever seen play in the Chicagoland area. That is probably due to the fact that we had no weekend fly-ins for this team.
Isc59, that's why I made the realistic and accurate comparison. Travel ball would defeat basically all Highschool teams at their age group. The varsity comment was like I said probably a bit of a stretch made by that one poster. Although, I think most top 16u teams would have sophomores on their roster that would already be moved up to varsity already. Fastball, every year and everything you do in the battle of competition matters. Only people that fail at a certain goal or mission say, well that doesn't matter. At that point and time, it matters and mattered!
I stand behind my comment. Read it. Don't read into it. I have seen some very good 15U teams, and some very bad varsity baseball teams. Don't take offense to it. That's just the way it is. Some of these travel programs recruit the best kids from across the country. Go to some of these travel tournies this year. Go to the 15U Tournament of Champions this year in Cincinatti. Take any of the top three finishers and pit them against an average Varsity team. And look out.
I happen to believe that the 15-16 year old team that I helped coach would have beaten most varsity high school teams.

Here is where the players on that team are attending school:

Pitcher: Rice University
Pitcher: University of Minnesota
Pitcher: University of Illinois
Pitcher: Michigan State University
Pitcher: University of Arkansas
Pitcher: Drafted and signed 4th round, KCRoyals
Pitcher: South Alabama
Catcher: Emory University
Catcher: Milliken University
Infielder: Rice University
Infielder: Princeton University
Outfielder/Pitcher: Southern Illinois University
Outfielder: UIC and now an Arizona Junior College
Outfielder: University of Nevada
Utility player: Texas Junior College
Utility player: Georgia Southern (?) or Georgia State (?)
Utility player: St. Xavier University
JustinO/big truck: Talented kid but not sure where he is going to school
Justin O and Jake T...Two guys you want on your side going into any dark alley!

Bushelfull of memories from all of them!

----

We tried to play and compete against all of the "big boys" including the San Diego Gamers with #1 Matt Bush and Chris Jones; Encinitas Reds with Mitch Einertsen; #1 Chris Nelson and the East Cobb Astros; Eric Hurley; and, #1 Henry Santiago (who hit a 3 run home run against us that is still going!)
----

Might have missed someone, but what a personable and talented bunch of young men.
-----

You really have to play against a talented California team to understand that they believe any pitch they see is a pitch that they should drive into the gaps and run like crazy. Don't believe in taking pitches. Have to "pitch" differently to them.

Played against plenty of talented Texas and Georgia and Florida teams, too.

That is how you get better, i.e., by playing against the "big boys".

In my next life, I'm coming back as a summer ball travel team coach.
Last edited by BeenthereIL
Grandslam....yep, when he was at that time it did matter and we all cared. Point is that if he is going to be successful as an older player, he has to move beyond that....his future success will depend on what he is doing then not what he did when he was a kid.

Behindtheplate...where I think you went wrong was that you used the word "most."

And Beenthere...I think you will agree that the team you coached was exceptional.
Last edited by FastballDad

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.