Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

oldbat-never,

My oldest son (D1 pitcher) is very loose jointed (long ligaments). As I understand it, being loose jointed doesn't cause the shoulder to be imbalanced but muscle imbalances are usually the culprit. For most loose jointed athletes the injury prevention program usually involves strengthening surrounding muscles thereby reducing the stress on ligaments. When either the external or internal rotators are not equal in strength imbalances will occur usually resulting in soreness or injury. Typically, most players are much stronger in the chest or front side of the body which overpowers the muscles in the back or scapula. When this happens the shoulder becomes somewhat skewed (imbalanced) resulting in impingement or other issues. I am certainly not a doctor but over the years most arm problems (outside of mechanical issues) I've seen are the result of muscle imbalances that occured because of improper weight training (i.e. too much front side training and not enough back and scapula training). Don't take this as definitive but it is certainly a common problem.
It seems that most athletes want to use heavy weights when working out. Those heavy weights build the large muscle groups, but do nothing for the small rotator cup muscles. When you work out with the big weights, if you don't workout with small weights and/or stretch bands to strengthen the small muscles, an imbalamce occurs. The big muscles overpower the smaller ones and literally try to pull the arm out of its socket. When the ball of the arm flops around in it's socket and is not stable, impingement and ligament stretch can occur. If not corrected, it can lead to some very serious injury. It is usually rehabbed with rest, light weights and thera-bands. It is not something to take lightly. Have the doctor check it out.
My son has this problem and in fact is still going through physical therapy for strain to the cuff. As it was described by the doctor loose joint syndrome is hereditary, however the therapist and the doctor both said they see this with good pitchers(high velocity).

Per both my son will have to do these excercises to strengthen the shoulder as long as he is in athletics.

By the way his injury came about in football. I was pleased when he told me football can go to the side as baseball is more important. Cool
Last edited by Rogkiss

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.