Skip to main content

If so, which subjects are acceptable for Parent to discuss with Coach and which are a No-No?

(ie Redshirting, Leaving Program, Getting Cut, Financial Situation, Scholarship, Entry into Portal, Tuition, Role of kid in Program, Transferring, Direction of Program, Dissatisfaction of Program,  etc?)

Thank You!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I would think that a short follow-up email is appropriate for anything your player has already discussed with the coach, especially if it concerns an injury.  In my experience, there's a lot of anxiety around summer placement; often, parents have questions about how the summer housing process works. But I would never contact the coach if your player hasn't already met with the coach one-on-one. 

If you email, the coach can signal what level of engagement they are comfortable with or pass it off to another person on their staff. But my player had a friendly HC. . . . would be interested to hear what others say.

Last edited by RHP_Parent

IMO, I think outside of the specifics of the program which is subjective, anything you mentioned above about your kid is is potentially valid depending on circumstances. That said my oldest is entering his grad year, youngest is going into his junior year. The only time I've ever contacted my sons' coaches was when my youngest had an oddball injury his freshman year during the Omaha challenge.

I have spoken to both their athletic departments when it came to injury and $$$, and who's paying.

Once a kid turns eighteen they are considered an adult. This limits the power parents have.

My daughter received additional scholarship money after her freshman year started. I had paid the bill. But they would not mail the refund check to me. The check was mailed to my daughter and issued to my daughter.

IMO, physical or emotional abuse, illegal activities or danger to any person are all reasons to immediately contact the coaching staff or the school. Aside from that, I believe you should work your concerns through your son.

As for the weight of your concerns with your son and whether he’s willing to express them, that’s a wholly a different topic.

College baseball is their job, and as a parent I think we sometimes lose focus on that. IMO there’s very little that could happen at your kid’s work where it would be appropriate to call their employer, or ask to speak to their boss…

@JucoDad posted:

IMO, physical or emotional abuse, illegal activities or danger to any person are all reasons to immediately contact the coaching staff or the school. Aside from that, I believe you should work your concerns through your son.

100% @JucoDad. I'd add two things to the list:

1) significant medical issues

2) significant $$$$ donation/endowment to the baseball program

Yes, it is a very small list for a parent.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.