Skip to main content

One of our local NAIAs, which is ranked nationally as an NAIA, may be reclassifying as a D2.  We had never even really looked at the school because they seemed to only take on D1 drop downs or JUCO players...most of the straight out of high school kids were on the JV (rec) team.  Now that the move is being made, it may be a viable option for son.  Would be a good fit academically and "go where you are loved" rings true.  

Has anyone had experience with attending a school the first year in a new division?  Were there any shocks or surprises?  I guess I don't even know what questions to ask.  Any insight you can provide is appreciated!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I don't know if it applies to NAIA-NCAA transfers, but some reclassifications within the NCAA carry a four-year period of being ineligible for post-season play. I recommend you find out if it applies to your situation and if it does, whether your son is ok with not having a chance to play a postseason game during his college career.

Last edited by Swampboy

I do not have the answers to your question, but i will let you know that many NAIA schools are reclassifying to D2. Do you know which year of transition they are in.  I know in D3 it is a 3 or 4 year process. The first few years the schools are not available for Post season play. Whether they are available for Post season play for the NAIA I do not know. 

Do they have a conference they are going to in D2 or will they be an independent. Any conference they go to may have other rules about tournament etc. Make sure you know how long the school will be in the process and what that means for post season play.

BaseballChauffeur posted:

One of our local NAIAs, which is ranked nationally as an NAIA, may be reclassifying as a D2.  We had never even really looked at the school because they seemed to only take on D1 drop downs or JUCO players...most of the straight out of high school kids were on the JV (rec) team.  Now that the move is being made, it may be a viable option for son.  Would be a good fit academically and "go where you are loved" rings true.  

Has anyone had experience with attending a school the first year in a new division?  Were there any shocks or surprises?  I guess I don't even know what questions to ask.  Any insight you can provide is appreciated!

FWIW, this came up in another thread you may not have read:  in our area, as in others, the public school D2's fill their rosters in exactly the manner you describe for this NAIA.  

JCG posted:

FWIW, this came up in another thread you may not have read:  in our area, as in others, the public school D2's fill their rosters in exactly the manner you describe for this NAIA.  

I saw that thread and agree it's the same way around here...I've researched every level but D2.  And it's possible the school will continue this route and son is just an odd case. Coach had mentioned he can't believe he's already recruiting a 2017 because in my mind, son is way behind in the recruiting process.  

Thanks everyone for the help.  Son has some homework and researching to do.

I have followed several schools that have taken that route and will concur both the post-season eligibility issue and what JCG points out...  If they targeted D1 drops and JC transfers  before, that is likely to remain their MO, particularly if they have all or some of the same coaching staff in place.  

What is it, for you and son, that makes this school an attractive option now where it wasn't one when they were NAIA?  

Regarding the 3-4 year process, I believe there is some overlap.  The application process begins while they are still competing under their NAIA parameters.  Once they actually start playing a schedule of D2 teams, it is typically one or two years of post-season ineligibility.  But that is still not an issue to be taken lightly for most players.

In addition to consulting through InformedAthlete.com, I previously consulted with college athletic departments on their compliance procedures, including those making the transition from NAIA to NCAA Division II.  The transition period lasts 3 years during which the school is considered a "provisional" member of Division II. 

Typically, the NAIA school will be barred from NAIA post-season in the season immediately following their formal announcement of transition.  The school won't be eligible for NCAA post-season until they become full active members of Division II after the provisional period is completed. 

They also must be admitted to a Division II conference before becoming a Division II full active member (i.e., no independent D2 schools).  The comment above about travel is a great point as some of these colleges attempt to join suitable conferences.  Some schools may be allowed by their conference to play a conference regular season schedule while they are in the provisional stage, but can't participate in the conference post-season tournament until they become a fully active Division II member.

Some church-affiliated colleges join the NCCAA (National Christian College Athletic Association) during the "provisional period" on a temporary basis so the athletes at least have some opportunities for post-season competition and a chance to win a "national championship."   

This won't change. D1 players who transfer, don't want to sit out a year and don't want to 4-2-4 look for the best D2 programs.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.