Skip to main content

I know that we have a lot of loyal VHSL fans out here who do a great job posting about what is happening around the State. Thought I'd see if we can start a discussion about what is going on in the Virginia Prep League and with the VISAA schools.

I understand that Cape Henry and Christchurch faced off in a early season contest in which Cape Henry rallied late to nip CCS by a score of 5-4 at Cape Henry. In a battle of the aces for each respective school, CCS got to Cape Henry early, but Cape Henry's big southpaw steadied himself to hold the CCS bats at bay. Michael Taylor of CCS struggled with finding his best, and Cape Henry took advantage. The consensus opinion of those I have heard from is that both teams should be serious contenders for the VISAA D2 crown by season's end.

What else is going on around the VPL & VISAA?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It sounds like ndfan has it right. Sounds like Cape Henry was a perrenial D2 power, went up to D1 for some time and enjoyed success there as well, and has returned to D2 this season.

Either way, I understand they have a very good team, and would expect they will have something to say about who claims the VISAA D2 title this year. I hear Greenbrier Christian is strong again as well; Christchurch returns most of the players who took them to the Championship game last season, and have a number of new players who have upgraded the team in key areas.

What about Steward (sp?), Atlantic Shores, Covenant, and some of the other perrenial D2 powers?

Any word on STAB, Benedictine, PVI and the D1 teams?
GW - Hope you'll post us on how AS does with the gauntlet they are running this week. That promises to be a real test.

CCS shut-out Isle of Wight by a score of 8-0 at IoW on Thurs. I understand that 2 in the 1st and 5 in the 2nd on IoW's #1 kind of put the game out of reach early. CCS starts VPL play on Tues with a DH on the road at Woodberry Forest. The two teams split a DH last year.
how about some news from west of Charlotteville? Liberty Christian beat Carlisle (Martinsville) yesterday 5-1. Just came down to LCA making the key plays and Carlisle not. Carlisle has started 0-3 but has faced some very stiff competition in Westchester and High Point Academy from NC and then LCA. Expect them to make some noise in D2.
Atlantic Shores returned home late last night after a dissapointing three game swing through Baltimore and D.C. Shores lost a hard fought game to Calvert Hall College 5 - 4 after leading 4 - 2 heading into the bottom of the 6th. The effects of Friday's loss to one of the best teams in Maryland carried over into Saturday with Shores dropping games to Riverdale Baptist located outside of D.C. and Moore Catholic from Staten Island, NY.

It doesn't get any easier for Shores this week with a double-header Tuesday against Broadwater Academy, a home game against Norview Thursday, an away game Friday against Isle of Wight, then a two game set next Saturday at home against Cape Henry and Spotsylvania HS. Beginning against Bishop Sullivan last Thursday, after next Saturday's games that will have been 10 games in 10 days.
I saw on MaxPreps and heard through the grapevine that STAB has dropped some games here in the early going. Based on what I recall from last spring, they did lose a lot to graduation last year, but they had some younger talent waiting in the wings.

I believe they have tested themselves against some traditionally tough opponents here in the early going. With the tradition of success STAB has enjoyed, I will need to see a larger body of evidence in VISAA and VPL competition before I doubt their ability to be there at the end of the season.
Southpaw
Here is what I see/have seen. St Chris is loaded. Should be the favorites to win the state in D1. Decent pitching but the line-up is loaded with Reinhart, Yorgen, Fraser, English and more. Benedictine has a solid line-up as well but it is yet to be determined where their pitching comes from. Trinity has two good arms in Brown and Jamer but I am not sure they have the bats to compete. Collegiate has some good young talent but needs to be more consistent on the mound. Steward has lost a lot of pitching with Hayden White leaving and Patrick Phillips tearing his ACL. They are not the power they have been. As for STAB I am anxious to see what they have, that team was almost all srs last yr. FUMA should be down as should Woodberry. Thats what I hear. Good Luck to you guys and see you across the diamond soon!
Christchurch took 2 today from Woodberry Forest (7-2 & 4-2). I think it would be fair to say that CCS definitely had WF outgunned, but there is no quit in the boys from WF. They battled from start to finish, and never gave or asked any quarter.

Michael Taylor had the ball for CCS in Game 1, allowing 2 runs over 5 innings before giving way to David Phillips who closed the door. Trevor Otey went 5 complete for CCS in Game 2. Woodberry actually took a 2-0 lead late into the 2nd game (scheduled for 5 innings) before the CCS offense was able to string together a few hits to claim the lead, and the CCS defense rallied to shut things down.

End-to-end I would suggest that Woodberry may have played with more fight & intensity, but that CCS' edge in talent carried the day.
I had the opportunity to see STAB in action this week as they were swept by Christchurch (8-0 & 9-0). STAB is definitely way down this year, due to their being a very young team. Brett Johnson (Sr) is the strength of the team, and there are a few other bright spots for the present; but I expect this is a year for STAB to look to the future. I saw some very young Pitchers take the mound against some very good hitters, and although they were clearly over-matched, they kept their composure on the mound and kept competing. The team is very well coached, and I expect the lumps they take this year will serve as motivation to get some payback over the next 2-3 years as this young nucleus of kids matures.
Atlantic Shores went 3 - 0 in pool play at the Mingo Bay Classic in Myrtle Beach with wins over East Clarendan (6-0) and Wilson Hall (11 - 1) both from SC and a win today over Princeton HS from WV (15 - 8). Jordan Sergent continued on a hitting tear going 6 - 9 with 2 HRs in the three games. Jordan is hitting .520 on the season now with 7 HRs. Shores continues in single elimnation tournament play beginning tomorrow morning and are now 14 - 7 on the year.
Yes. I am not an authority on this, but my understanding is that the Top 8 teams in the final poll at the end of the regular season (2nd week of May ???) are invited to the State Championship Tournament for their respective Division.

The voters for this Poll are the Coaches for the VISAA teams. Obviously, not all teams will play each other, and many teams will compete across divisional lines, so a D2 team may have losses to D1 teams that could tarnish their record but may not hurt them as badly in the polls (for example).

The Top 4 teams each host a Quarterfinal game (Tues or Wed of Tournament Week); then the Semi-Final and Championship games are played at the end of that week at a neutral location (usually in Colonial Heights, VA I think).

Caveat: I believe this is essentially correct, but I leave open the possibility that I am in error.
Shores lost in the Mingo Bay Championship game 8 - 4 to High Point Christian who ran their record to 18 - 1 with this win. High Point was the 2011 NC 3A runner up in 2011. Shores led 4 - 0 going into the 5th inning, but gave up 8 runs in the fifth. Shores' record now stands at 15 - 8 on the season. Shores returns home for a conf game against Alliance Christian next Tuesday, then a rematch with Cape Henry next Saturday.
Congratulations to the Atlantic Shores boys on the great run they made down in SC. The VISAA clearly has some very competitive teams this year.

I had the opportunity to watch my first game at the Collegiate School (Richmond) facility today. WOW! What a beautiful facility, and they had some great fan support. The administration, parents, alumni, and benefactors of Collegiate should be very proud of the wonderful environment they have created for their sports teams.

My only complaint is that the centerfield fence was about 6' too deep tonight when the bases were loaded late Wink

Christchurch completed a sweep of the season home & home series tonight behind LHP Trevor Otey (Jr). CCS booked their 4th consecutive shutout with the 10-0 (5 inning) win. The CCS boys have been getting it done with a good balance of pitching, defense and hitting.
Last edited by southpaw_dad
no, just as the CC-Steward game ended the bottom dropped out and rain fell for about 2 hours I guess. CC decided to go home since there was no way to get the field ready and then play 2 games since there are no lights there. so the Steward folks worked their tails off to get the field dry enough to play one game before dark so the Carlisle drive would not be in vain.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.