Skip to main content

Heck of a week last week in the VPL. Christchurch swept the season home & home against a very strong St. Christophers team in two very closely played nail-biters.

IMHO, St. Chris probably has a stronger line-up 1-9 than CCS, and played better defensively. The difference was the depth of the CCS pitching staff, and some timely offense on the part of CCS. The 4-some of Taylor, Phillips, Otey & Faneyte on the mound gives CCS more depth than most private schools can muster (more than a lot of publics for that matter).

Taylor ruled the day on the mound in the 3-1 CCS win at St. Chris, with some timely CCS hitting being the difference in a well-pitched game on both sides. In the Friday rematch, Phillips kept CCS within striking distance when the offense and the defense struggled some, giving St. Chris a lead. Eventually, the CCS offense got to St. Chris pitching, and a gutsy play by Travis Myers to steal home with 2-out in the bottom of the 7th tied the game at 4, with the winning run walking home 2 batters later.

An emotionally drained CCS took the field against a fiesty Steward team on Saturday, and Trevor Otey pitched well enough to lock down a 2-1 win for CCS before the sky opened up.

Christchurch closes out VPL play this week with a home & home against Fork Union Military Academy.

On a HSBBW note ... I had the pleasure of meeting wahoo24 Saturday at the CCS v Steward game, as he came by to say hello. GREAT speaking with you Wahoo. Best of luck to you and your guys the rest of the way out.
Last edited by southpaw_dad
Congratulations to the 2012 Virginia Prep League Champion Christchurch Seahorses.

CCS closed out VPL play with a sweep of the home & home with Fork Union Military Academy this week (11-0 & 9-3). CCS finished 11-1 in VPL play including a 1-run 7th inning loss to Trinity and a 1-run 7th inning win against St. Chris to give St. Chris 2 losses in conference play.

Christchurch is poised to represent the VPL in the VISAA D2 State Championships later this month, and St. Christophers, Trinity & Collegiate are all contending to represent the VPL in the VISAA D1 State Championships.

Good luck to all of the VPL teams, players and coaches as you enter States.
If I am reading the VISAA State Polls correctly, it looks like 4 of the 7 schools in the Virginia Prep League will be competing in the VISAA State Championships next week.

VISAA D1
St. Christophers
Collegiate
Trinity

VISAA D2
Christchurch (2012 VPL Champions)

Good luck to all of the players, coaches and parents. As a CCS Dad, I'll be rooting for the VPL to win both the D1 & D2 Championships, and to have a strong showing all around. Here's to seeing all 4 schools in the Semi's at Colonial Heights the weekend of the 17th-19th.
WA-HOOOOO wahoo ... Congratulations to you and the boys of Collegiate! That should go a long way towards getting your guys ready for States. You beat a very talented team that competes to the last out also. Would have liked to see that game.

St. Chris folks are going to hate the 7th inning. First our guys come back from down 4-2 with 2 out to win 5-4 in the bottom of the 7th, then you guys rally to get them.

I'd say the VPL should be well represented in the D1 Championships. Good luck next week. Keep us posted.

Gavin -- Congrats to the boys of Atlantic Shores, if CCS and AS face off in States, I hope you'll say hello.
quote:
Originally posted by ofs10:
And also congrats to greenbrier christian today i think it was a 10 inning victory over Cape Henry!can anybody confirm how long the game was i know greenbrier christian won!

Yes it was 10 innings. Greenbrier sent 11 batters to the plate in the 10th. WynKoop pitched 9 innings while Matt Matthews pitched a complete game.
VISAA Quarter-Finals Started Tuesday ... Thunderstorms and all.

VISAA D2 Quarter-Final
Christchurch - 2
Carlisle - 0

In a game interrupted by 2 lightning & 1 injury delay, David Phillips of CCS [SP_son for full disclosure] out-battled Patrick Thompson of Carlisle in a true Pitcher's Duel, with both Pitchers putting forth commanding performances.

Patrick Thompson (Carlisle) limited CCS to 3 hits, with 2 of those hits being the 1st & 2nd batters in the bottom of the 1st, producing what proved to be the winning run. Thompson held CCS to 1 more hit and 1 run in his remaining 5 innings of work.

David Phillips (Christchurch) scattered 3 ground ball singles (only 2 hits in the official book ???), facing 1 over the minimum, while posting 13 K's and 0 BB's in a 70 pitch, 7 inning, complete game shut-out performance.

Christchurch moves on to meet the winner of the Steward v. Isle of Wight game.

Any word on the other VISAA Quarter-Finals?
quote:
Originally posted by southpaw_dad:
Any word on the resumption of the Norfolk Collegiate v Cape Henry game?

It will be picked up tomorrow. I noticed in softball that they cancelled the 1 vs 8 game and the 1 seed advanced to the semis per VISAA rules. The semi with the winner of GCA/ASC and CHC/NCS was supposed to play tomorrow at 2pm. Let's hope they can get it in so we don't have a total scheduling nightmare.
Sounds like some exciting games have been played down at the beach this week. Would love to see the Cape Henry v Greenbrier Christian re-match this afternoon down in Colonial Heights, but i'll have to wait to see the winner tomorrow as they compete with CCS for the D2 Championship.

Congratulations to all the players and coaches who have made this tournament so exciting.
8th grader Justin Towles led off game for Atlantic Shores with a single..He was bunted to second and would score on a 2 out flare to right that was dropped by 2B in the triangle for 1-0 Atlantic Shores lead.

Sergent was able to hold GCS down much of the game but there were a number of bad base running decisions that impacted outcome although both sides committed miscues in that area. A huge mistake was a ball hit to short center that dropped in for AS with runners on 1st and 2nd but the entire play went south for AS when the runner on second did not go half way on the hit. He was held up rounding third but the runner on first ran right up on him forcing a run-down that eventually had the runner on third gunned down at the plate! The batter, though, complicated the situation by never scooting over to second leaving it with 1st and 3rd and 1 out! The next batter, then, hit a blooper to second and the runner on first broke...A shoe-string snag by the 2b doubled up the runner at 1st to end the threat!!!

James Bedi ran out of gas in 6th. He seemed to have command issues with his breaking ball all game long but had battled through. Nick Jessee came on and was able to get the game into extra innings going through the 7th.

Meanwhile, GCS would finally tie it up on a single up the middle and a wide throw to the plate from the CF that allowed the tying run to score. GCS, though, had a few base-running mistakes as well wiping out a few scoring chances of their own.

In the 8th, GCS turned to Matt Matthews who struck out the side in convincing fashion. Josh Stamp came on in the bottom of the 8th for AS and proceeded to walk the speedy Bryce Myers. Myers was able to steal second sliding under the tag despite a terrific throw by C Plymette who was impressive behind the dish (very good pop time on this kid). A sharp single to slight right center tallied the winning run for GCS. Large and enthusiastic crownd filled the place. Too bad these schools do not meet more often...
Last edited by Jbeyel
So I guess the VISAA D2 will come full circle to a Week 1 re-match between #1 seed Cape Henry and #2 seed Christchurch.

In the mid-March match-up, Cape Henry earned a 5-4 comeback win at their place. I missed the game, but understand both teams could point to a number of places where they could have played better. The records have clearly shown that CH & CCS have been the top 2 teams in D2 all year. It is good that the boys will have the opportunity to settle it on the field tomorrow.

Any neutral observers who have seen both teams play want to offer any thoughts on how the teams stack up?

Any word on how the D1 & D3 tournaments are playing out?
I've been a little swamped, but here are some of the highlights from the Christchurch v. Steward game in the VISAA D2 Semi-Final played on Thursday. Sorry, I don't know the players on the Steward roster.

Trevor Otey (CCS, 2013) Pitched a gem of a game, allowing just 1 hit on 69 pitches earning a 2-0 complete game shut-out. Calvin Strong came up with some terrific defensive plays at short to take away base hits, and Michael Taylor made a great catch in RF to take away a extra-base hit.

2 errant throws in the top of the first turned a 1-2-3 inning for Otey into a 1st & 3rd with 1 out. Stewards #4 hitter drove what would normally be a routine Sac Fly to CF, but Tivon Faneyte (CCS, 2013) made a brilliant catch and throw, doubling off the runner coming home, and ending the threat.

Steward's Defense also made a number of excellent plays, including gunning down a CCS runner at the plate in the early going. In what was a well-pitched and closely played game on both sides, the difference was Travis Myer's (CCS, 2012) RBI Dobule in the 3rd to give Christchurch a lead, and David Phillips RBI Double in the 6th to make the game 2-0 going into the top of the 7th.

Both teams played some brilliant baseball, and both Pitchers threw terrific games. Otey and CCS just had a little more that day.
Last edited by southpaw_dad

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.