Skip to main content

North won 5-2. McGowan pitched the complete game for his 4th win of the year. Pinkerton was winning 2-0 to start the game out till North came back to win. Curious how Trinity is as we play them on Wednesday in Manchester. Seems like they are up and down kind of like every Team in class L currently the way it's been going. Goffstown seems to show more consistancy for now anyways.
Last edited by EATMAN
Goffstown's solid and deep. Trinity threw their #1 today. Young, but good. Trinity plays West tomorrow (vs. Welch??). T is strong up the middle but lacks some experience and depth..... but they are s******. 4 Games in a week for a thin team is tough.
I hope they can win 2 of 4 this week.
I think the middle of Class L ( Say Teams 6-15) is wide open. It will also be interesting to see who can grab spots 3,4,5. I think 6 teams will battle for those. The usual suspects...Keene, Salem, South, Londonderry, Trinity et al.....
NN & Goffs def. the cream of Class L. no surprise.
Link: http://www.northeast10.org/spo...AllConferenceRelease

Link has Teams #1-#3 as well. Sylvester also made the squad.

NE-10 All-Rookie Team

Shane Keddy - Assumption
John Yohe - Bentley
Rob Blanc - Franklin Pierce
Joe Flynn - Franklin Pierce
Nick Lacroix - Franklin Pierce
Garrett Cole - UMass Lowell
Mike Laracy - Merrimack
Taylor Candage - New Haven
Shane O'Connell - New Haven
Brian Sundberg - Pace
Robert Kelly - Saint Anselm
Scott Hladik - Saint Rose
Mike Cleary - So. Connecticut
Matt Boulter - So. New Hampshire
Taylor Eames - So. New Hampshire
John Pickowicz - So. New Hampshire
Derrick Sylvester - So. New Hampshire
Interesting assessment. I think there are more than 2-3 good teams in L before a big drop-off occurs, quite a bit of parity this year. There will be first round upsets- but that happens every year.
In a single-elimination tournament it is tough to pick a favorite, last time the #1 won it all was in 2005 (South). It is all about who gets on a roll come playoff time.
I hate to agree with this, but Hector Longo of the Eagle Tribune doesn't do much in terms of coverage during the NH regular season because the regular season means very little come playoff time.
Who knows with high school??
Tough assessments on Keene. I haven't seen them play yet, so I'll take your words on the subject.
I just know whenever I see Keene on the jerseys, it sends a shiver up my spine and brings back memories of past beatings, but every year is different.

As far as playoffs, Class L should re-do the format. I think we talk about it every year. Why 16 of 20 make the playoffs in a single elimination format is beyond me. Make it 12 Teams, Top 4 get a bye. Final 8 make a best 2 of 3, then the Final 4 do single elim. The Top 4 do not get enough credit for strong regular seasons and are too exposed to lose to a very low seed with one high quality pitcher. However, that's the way it is and that makes everyone have a chance during post-season, whether earned or not. Last year was clearly the exception.

Good games on tap today!!
I don't think they'd ever go for the 2 out of 3 format for games but I certainly think that the top 2 or top 4 should get a 1st round bye. If that means shrinking the field to 12 from 16 for the playoffs then so be it. A team with 4 or 5 wins shouldn't be in the playoffs anyways. I'm sure most of the coaches would agree with that as well.
Bedford - 7
Souhegan - 3

For the second consecutive Wednesday, Bedford handed the opponent their 1st loss of the year. Joey Maher was on the hill again for Bedford and got the win. Ryan Gancarz pitched a 1-2-3 seventh in relief. Maher got himself in a jam in the first inning walking the bases loaded, but his defense pulled off a sweet 4-6-3 double play to prevent Souhegan from scoring. Maher pitched well from there and finished with 8 K's, allowing a single earned run on 1 hit (a 2 RBI double by Matt Schagrin). Schagrin went the distance for Souhegan striking out 1.

Matt Woodmansee, Jeff Gancarz and Nate Harrington had 2 hits apiece, Mike Laflamme doubled and Maher, Mike Skilton and Justin Walsh added singles for Bedford.

The two teams meet again @Souhegan on Monday.
Will O. I could not agree more with a series format vs. the single elimination format. Just because a team finishes last place doesn't mean they don't have a stud pitcher. Example 2000, yes I may be dating myself somewhat, Pinkerton had a great season finishes first place, while Londonderry barely makes it as the 16th seed. So its Londonderry taking the 10 minute ride over to #1 Pinkerton who would fall to a stud pitcher 2008 MLB All Star Closer Brian Wilson, now if that was a best of three series Londonderry may not advance but because it was single elimination they did. I support the idea of reducing the number of teams and adopting a series, with a series more times than not the better team advances. My two cents.
North's final was 12-0 in a shortened mercy rule game. Nashua started out in the first scoring 8 runs to start the game. Kyle Turner pitched well allowing Trinity bats to 1 hit, 5 K's for the 5 innings. Morency was 3-3 with a HR, Joe Breen added 3 hits. NN now 10-3 faces Exeter Friday at Holman at 4:00 with Morency on the mound.
Last edited by EATMAN
I called the fall of Goffstown, They are one of the better teams in Class L, but not the top team. Mike as for the 3 game series format, I like the idea, but I think it is more important to get a real state champion, Portsmouth can agrue that they were the best team in the state, but because they're in a lower class, some would think they are not.
Class L plays Class M champ, Class I plays Class S champ and winners face off for real state championship.
quote:
Originally posted by Granite State Baseball Association:
With due disrespect to the Keene Baseball Tradition, this is a weaker squad than they have had in the past.

They may not have one of their stronger teams this year, but why exactly is the Keene Baseball Tradition due your disrespect? I hope you meant either "with all due respect" or "with no disrespect". If not, please explain. Thanks.
Took in the Bedford vs. Souhegan game last night, both squads are talented and well coached a real fun game to watch. I was impressed with Jeff Gancarz behind the plate, in fact when he had a stinger in the late innings on the base paths and had to come out for a few batters it was a clear difference. I would have loved seeing Dugdale vs. Maher but Terry threw on Friday.

I was sitting in the stands watching the infield outfield and Coach Dod came up to me with a lineup card, I thought that was very nice.

Maher had some control issues that is true but the umpire refused to call strike three it seemed and that gave him a few extra walks. I was sitting with two D1 coaches, one of which was a head coach and they were both scoffing at some of the missed called strikes. Joey was throwing his slider hard and tight and sticking the outside corner but not getting any calls. Three guns had him 87-91MPH.

Schagrin pitched well but I was impressed with him at bat also. He had his teams only hit but there were a few hard hit balls by both teams that were caught.

In other news, Merrimack keeps its playoff hopes alive beating West 16-6. Hoyle, Kinney, and Schoonmaker all with multiple hit games. David Schoonmaker (Junior transfer from Washington) was 4 for 4.
Last edited by SMAN14
quote:
Originally posted by SeacoastDad:
quote:
With due disrespect to the Keene Baseball Tradition, this is a weaker squad than they have had in the past.

They may not have one of their stronger teams this year, but why exactly is the Keene Baseball Tradition due your disrespect? I hope you meant either "with all due respect" or "with no disrespect". If not, please explain. Thanks.

Obviously a type-o, relax.
quote:
Originally posted by SMAN14:
Took in the Bedford vs. Souhegan game last night, both squads are talented and well coached a real fun game to watch. I was impressed with Jeff Gancarz behind the plate, in fact when he had a stinger in the late innings on the base paths and had to come out for a few batters it was a clear difference. I would have loved seeing Dugdale vs. Maher but Terry threw on Friday.

I was sitting in the stands watching the infield outfield and Coach Dod came up to me with a lineup card, I thought that was very nice.

Maher had some control issues that is true but the umpire refused to call strike three it seemed and that gave him a few extra walks. I was sitting with two D1 coaches, one of which was a head coach and they were both scoffing at some of the missed called strikes. Joey was throwing his slider hard and tight and sticking the outside corner but not getting any calls. Three guns had him 87-91MPH.

Schagrin pitched well also but I was impressed with him at bat also. He had his teams only hit but there were a few hard hit balls by both teams that were caught.

In other news, Merrimack keeps its playoff hopes alive beating West 16-6. Hoyle, Kinney, and Schoonmaker all with multiple hit games. David Schoonmaker (Junior transfer from Washington) was 4 for 4.

Nice summary Shawn. I was at the game as well. I'm pretty certain Dugdale will pitch in the rematch on Monday for Souhegan. With Bedford playing Laconia tomorrow, and Con-Val next Wednesday, it's possible that Maher may be in line for that start as well.

I agree on the umpire. Ridiculously tight strike zone. My guess is that each pitcher had at least six walks each or more, and it really wasn't indicative of how either kid pitched.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SeacoastDad:
quote:

Obviously a type-o, relax.

Relax? A little more respect for your elders, my friend.
quote:
I don't know much about Dugdale except that he keeps on winning. What's his story?

His velocity is not up to Maher's as yet, but he's a young sophomore that will play U15 AAU this summer. His fastball is consistently 83-85 and he has good command of his changeup and slider. The stats sent out by his coach have him at 3-0 with 16 K's in 16 Innings and a 0.88 ERA.
quote:
Originally posted by Will O.:
Keene vs South yesterday.....Did they play?
No scores yet on NHIAA.

From the Nashua Telegraph...
Nashua South 9, Keene 7

Andrew Dunn hit a two-run home run and Matt Hughes added a solo shot to help lead the Panthers to a win over the Blackbirds (9-5) at home.

Jared Maloney picked up the win for South (10-3) while Dylan Lustig got his third save of the season. Lustig also drove in a pair at the plate with a single in the second inning. Matt Valcourt (two hits, two runs scored) and Brandon Cox (double, RBI) also had good days at the plate in the win.
quote:

Schagrin pitched well but I was impressed with him at bat also. He had his teams only hit but there were a few hard hit balls by both teams that were caught.

SMAN - What D1 coaches were there? I guess they wanted to see Maher, but were there other players they had interest in from Souhegan or Bedford?
quote:
but I think it is more important to get a real state champion, Portsmouth can agrue that they were the best team in the state, but because they're in a lower class, some would think they are not.

I don't agree with your comment about Portsmouth thinking they are the best team in the state. I have been around this team four years, many players guest at our house, not once have I ever heard them say they are the best team in the state. I have never heard them talk about their winning streak.

I think they are realistic that part of their success has come because of the Division they were assigned.

I believe the 2008 team could have competed with any team in the state, this year or last year that would not be/have been the case.
Last edited by nhmonty
The Fall of Goffstown has not happenned yet. The Fall of Saigon has. True, they have Londonderry, Salem & North remaining. All tough games. If they see all of those teams top pitchers it would be improbable to win all of the games. So, let's say they lose 2 or 3 more and get a top seed, they will be playoff ready. Key to Class L playoffs is getting a 1-4 seed. Guarantees 2 home games (if you win the 1st). It is nice to win the regular season though.
Portsmouth won 14-0, game summary along with info on St. Thomas win can be seen at www.seacoastonline.com or www.fosters.com

Class I note, I know there is alot of talk about St. Thomas and Portsmouth but I really like the Bedford team with their pitching. We did not get Maher but the other pitcher did a great job against us, my kid said his ball moved and he got sawed off twice and beat a third ball into the ground.

Pitching wins games. Have not seen Souhegan but they are doing well. St. Thomas and Portsmouth will have their hands full if they want to advance in the tournament.
quote:
Originally posted by jball:
Coach Curt,

While you're busy patting yourself on the back, use the other hand to cover your mouth to prevent saying things like "I called the fall of Goffstown". I just checked the standings and they are 11-2 and still on top.

P.S. Goffstown can really hit and I don't think they even have a hitting coach.

I'm sorry if I offended Goffstown fans. I did compliment them and say they are one of the best teams in NH.

I agree completely with Will-O. They will loose a couple more and be in peak condition going into the tourney. Best of luck to the goffstown team and their fans.

Take care, Coach Curt

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.