Skip to main content

My son just came home from a college coaches camp his travel organization puts on. He had the opportunity to talk with a few coaches. The topic of what the coaches look for came up. He said one coach put this out as his list

1. are you hustling

2. If your hustling his next call is to your guidance counselor to check on what type of person you are as well as your grades

3. Next call is to your travel and HS coach asking about your work ethic

4. If he can he will sit in his car and watch for you as you come to the game. He's watching to see what you look like showing up at the park. 

5. he will then walk over and watch you warm up.  

6. if you pass all the above then they will start to evaluate your baseball skills

He he said that the other coaches in the discussion concurred that most of them all have similar things they look at. 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

1. Did you arrive on time? Even if you're on time, you're late, should always be there 15 minutes ahead of time
2. Are you fully dressed & ready in a clean uniform with your shirt tucked in?
3. Is your hat on straight & sunglasses in the right place? (Not backwards, not dangling from your ear or on your cap backwards)
4.  Are you rocking out with Bose headphones or having a respectful conversation with your parent & greeting & shaking hands with coaches & team mates? (Self absorbed or engaged with team & those around you)
5. Are you fully in control of all your own equipment or is Daddy carrying you bag & mom running behind you with Gatorades & snack? (They do not like to see equipment bags with rollers~ use your muscles & carry your stuff like pros)
6. Looking to see if you are prepared, in control, and do you have self-respect, and respect for parents, coaches and those in authority. (Are you mature, self disciplined, humble, grateful & coachable)
Sorry the link does not work, I do not know how to edit the post, but just google 30 red flags to recruiting, it was compiled by Nate Trosky, and as always, the way I looked at tips on this site, as a basic guide, no one person has all the answers, each situation is different, and no one really knows what that ONE particular coach is looking for in that One prospect~ Good Luck All~

The Trosky Baseball red flags are excellent...and they prompted the following recollection:

Ever observe a college prospect camp? Approximately 40 - 50 high-school-aged players; all of whom, presumably, are present because theyaspire to play college baseball. Right?

Then, why is it that some of them show up and seem intent only upon impressing other campers with how cool they are?

Focused and giving their best effort, whether in the batting cage, fielding, or on the mound? Nope.

Running on and off the field? Nope.

Hustling from one teaching station to the next? Nope.

Looking like they take pride in their appearance? Nope.

Consistently attentive when coaches are speaking? Nope.

Simply too cool for that. ...and, in virtually all coaches' eyes, too cool to be recruited.

Last edited by Prepster

I'm more inclined to view this closer to Justbaseball. While all those things or suggestions regarding player make up are great.....My experience is that no amount of hustle or pre game routine will make up for a position player that can't hit. Or a pitcher that can't pitch.

My experience is that college recruiters primarily look for and value only a few simple things:

Pitchers- VELO / Body size

Hitters - Do they hit the ball HARD/ Body size + 60 speed.

I'm not suggesting that hustle, punctuality, well dressed and all that are not important. Those things are just WAY down the list. And I would argue that after the skill set the players grades and test scores are probably the most important secondaries...... A D-1 HC told me "The grades tell you the whole story"

For me the bottom line is that no amount of 'Good Citizen' type baseball behavior will secure an NCAA roster spot without an outstanding skill set. And conversely, if a kid doesn't have the best attitude or hustle and isn't a great student. But is a 6'3 RHP throwing 94 mph + he will not only get a NCAA roster spot, the recruiting coordinators will be lined up around the block 2 dozen deep to give it to him.

Last edited by StrainedOblique

Let's be honest here.  Most coaches rightfully tow the line on what makes a recruit desirable: grades, character, then skill.  It's the mantra that every baseball player needs to hear because 95% of them will be playing the "Game of Life" after high school, not baseball.  When I pay $300 for a camp at some big time program at the very least I want that HC on board with my wife's and my edict that my son's priorities are academics/grades, then character, then baseball skills.  You really want some D-1 HC saying out loud, in public, that all they care about are skills?  The whole mantra of "grades, character, skills" is akin to always believing in Santa.  Yes, it's that important!

I have always told my son:

"Look like a ball player, Act like a ballplayer, Play like a ballplayer."  Looking like a ball player is the parking lot part (shirt tucked in, on time 15-mins early, etc).  Acting like a ballplayer is eyes on coach when he is speaking, hustling on and off field, on one knee never sitting on keester, etc.  And Playing like a ballplayer means having the skills. 

Last edited by #1 Assistant Coach
Originally Posted by #1 Assistant Coach:

Let's be honest here.  Most coaches rightfully tow the line on what makes a recruit desirable: grades, character, then skill.  It's the mantra that every baseball player needs to hear because 95% of them will be playing the game of life after high school, not baseball.  When I pay $300 for a camp at some big time program at the very least I want that HC on board with my wife and my edict that my son's priority is academics/grades, then character, then baseball skills.  You really want some D-1 HC saying out loud, in public, that all they care about are skills?  The whole mantra of "grades, character, skills" is akin to always believing in Santa.  Yes, it's that important!

I have always told my son:

"Look like a ball player, Act like a ballplayer, Play like a ballplayer."  Looking like a ball player is the parking lot part (shirt tucked in, on time 15-mins early, etc).  Acting like a ballplayer is eyes on coach when he is speaking, hustling on and off field, on one knee never sitting on keester, etc.  And Playing like a ballplayer means having the skills. 

I suppose that there are many things that a college coach looks for, the skill set most likely will catch his eye, but I agree there is so much more to it when you are being recruited at a very large program than just your skill set.

That's why the coaches from these type of programs watch you closely, or have people watching you for them without you knowing about it.  Going to a very large D1 program is just not all about baseball.  They have to make sure that your maturity matches your skill set as well.  If any coach from a large program doesn't do their homework like you do yours, I would run the other way, because in my opinion that's a bubble recruit, you will have to prove yourself everytime that you have to go to the field and it wont just be about how hard you throw or how long you hit the ball.

Baseball has very few scholarships to go around, and reality is that they have to make sure that their choice is worthy of the $$ they will spend on you.

All, a little more context to this.  

This was a very informal discussion between a group of about 3 or 4 coaches and 3 or 4 players who were talking in between instruction/drills.  These were mid-D1 schools in the midwest.  As I was not part of the discussion I am interpreting what my 16U is saying.  Essentially the coach was telling the players that after they "notice" them in at a showcase or in an environment like they were in yesterday the next things they do are check up on their character before they really start talking to them and scheduling follow up visits to evaluate their skills and/or game play further.  

Sorry to any who felt I was saying skills don't matter.  I missed some context.  In my defense I wrote this while sitting around a car dealership waiting to straighten out a car purchase and lease buy back deal.  

With respect to presentation - You only get one chance to make a first impression.  That saying goes *both* ways.

With respect to skills - I've also heard coaches at showcase type events say one thing, but immediately do something different. When a coach says velo isn't the top of his list, I roll my eyes, shake my head, and know as soon as the radar gun lights up 90+ - that's the player that'll get the most attention even though he cannot throw strikes consistently. Coaches think they can teach him how to throw strikes. Conversely another kid goes out there throws 18-25 pitches in 2 "showcase innings", gets 2 fly balls, 3 ground balls, and a pickoff at 1B gets no attention because the radar says "only" 80+. Coaches for some reason don't think they can teach that player to throw harder? or get bigger/stronger in order to increase velo? They may never even know that player is a great student too. Eventually they lose out on player 1 because of grades or some better school, then wonder why they went to the showcase because they didn't find anyone. You have to be looking in order to see.

With respect to grades - Went to a recruiting seminar when my oldest was in 8th grade (over 10 years ago now). The one thing he and I came away with was the story regarding two prospects - similar abilities on the field, but one was a 3.7 student while the other was a 2.5.  The 2.5 had better velo, speed, whatever. Coach would take the 3.7 because he/she knows that the player will stay eligible, while the 2.5 may need constant attention, tutoring, whatever in order to stay eligible.

Originally Posted by Prepster:

The Trosky Baseball red flags are excellent...and they prompted the following recollection:

Ever observe a college prospect camp? Approximately 40 - 50 high-school-aged players; all of whom, presumably, are present because theyaspire to play college baseball. Right?

Then, why is it that some of them show up and seem intent only upon impressing other campers with how cool they are?

Focused and giving their best effort, whether in the batting cage, fielding, or on the mound? Nope.

Simply too cool for that. ...and, in virtually all coaches' eyes, too cool to be recruited.

Lol! I would always joke after these guys made an error or struck out.

"At least they looked good"

Originally Posted by JohnF:

With respect to presentation - You only get one chance to make a first impression.  That saying goes *both* ways.

With respect to skills - I've also heard coaches at showcase type events say one thing, but immediately do something different. When a coach says velo isn't the top of his list, I roll my eyes, shake my head, and know as soon as the radar gun lights up 90+ - that's the player that'll get the most attention even though he cannot throw strikes consistently. Coaches think they can teach him how to throw strikes. Conversely another kid goes out there throws 18-25 pitches in 2 "showcase innings", gets 2 fly balls, 3 ground balls, and a pickoff at 1B gets no attention because the radar says "only" 80+. Coaches for some reason don't think they can teach that player to throw harder? or get bigger/stronger in order to increase velo? They may never even know that player is a great student too. Eventually they lose out on player 1 because of grades or some better school, then wonder why they went to the showcase because they didn't find anyone. You have to be looking in order to see.

Lot of truth here, balance is the key.

First coaches will look at the skills and then delve into the student/athlete. They want to know the character and work ethic of the player especially the high academic D1 and Ivy’s.  The last thing a HC want is a good player that does not fit in.  My son was being recruited, a position player, by one of his preferred D1 schools.   He was number 3 player in the pecking order for his position.  While the HC was waiting to hear from player 1 & 2, he looked into grades and test scores of my 2015 and decided to bring him in for an official visit. After spending 2 days with the coaching staff and other players my 2015 was offered a spot for his secondary position with opportunity to compete for his primary.  He has signed his commitment this past November.

Let’s face it the difference in skill level between the #1 player on their recruiting list and #3 is very small or almost interchangeable.  They are going to go with the player that they feel  fits in the best. So yes skills will get consideration for opportunity but the other variables (grades, character, work ethic) will decide if you get the opportunity.

Originally Posted by Everyday Dad:
Originally Posted by Prepster:

Lol! I would always joke after these guys made an error or struck out.

"At least they looked good"

I think Domingo is having more affect on young kids than I would have imagined. 

Domingo_Scout

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Domingo_Scout
Last edited by lionbaseball
Originally Posted by lionbaseball:
Originally Posted by TPM:

Lion,

Do you actually know who Domingo Ayala really is?

I've watched most of his videos.  Does that count for something? 

I also know someone who got to meet him in person.  

He is a former D1 baseball player. American born.

I think he has had a positive effect on the game, I know my son really gets a kick out of his videos.  

I am not sure I really get your style of humor, but I do hope that your post was not a dig to him.

Originally Posted by lionbaseball:

Lion,

Do you actually know who Domingo Ayala really is?

I've watched most of his videos.  Does that count for something? 

I also know someone who got to meet him in person.  

He is a former D1 baseball player. American born.

I think he has had a positive effect on the game, I know my son really gets a kick out of his videos.  

I am not sure I really get your style of humor, but I do hope that your post was not a dig to him.

I love Domingo and so does my son.  He brings humor and fun to baseball.  

And no, I didn't know he was a former D1 baseball player, although I can believe it! 

Originally Posted by justbaseball:

I'm gonna be brutally honest and tell you that I think that coach looks at those things AFTER he decides your son has the skills.

Not before. He simply doesn't have time to sift through all the hustlers/non-hustlers first.  That pool is wider than the talent pool - by a lot.

I agree, who needs a hustler with no talent?

To the 30 red flags. First, I'm wondering how old this is. There were a couple of the "flags" that caught my attention and I wondered what people thought.

Flat bills. There was a post on here a few years ago concerning this, but I wonder if the attitude has changed as flat billed hats become more common. Heck, I see entire high school teams now where the whole team wears them. A lot of younger coaches wear them. So, do you think the majority of recruiters and college coaches out there still have some big prejudice against wearing a flat bill cap?

Rolling bags. Personally I never thought about it much. My kid has one as do many other high school players. While I might understand a certain prejudice against flat billed caps by old schoolers, I really have a hard time grasping the rolling bag situation.

Originally Posted by roothog66:

To the 30 red flags. First, I'm wondering how old this is. There were a couple of the "flags" that caught my attention and I wondered what people thought.

Flat bills. There was a post on here a few years ago concerning this, but I wonder if the attitude has changed as flat billed hats become more common. Heck, I see entire high school teams now where the whole team wears them. A lot of younger coaches wear them. So, do you think the majority of recruiters and college coaches out there still have some big prejudice against wearing a flat bill cap?

Rolling bags. Personally I never thought about it much. My kid has one as do many other high school players. While I might understand a certain prejudice against flat billed caps by old schoolers, I really have a hard time grasping the rolling bag situation.

My son does not use a rolling bag in HS. You will be hard pressed to see players with rolling bags as they get older. My son BTW is a  catcher.

While we should all wake up every day resolved to be a better person than we were yesterday I think when we start overthinking what scouts want to see as far as character etc it is a potential problem in itself.  Be yourself.  Work hard on your game and your grades and let the chips fall where they may.  Much better than coming off scripted or phony.  And just for the record when I start worrying about what kind of bag my kid has...  time to get a beer and relax a little more.
Originally Posted by jolietboy:
Be yourself.  Work hard on your game and your grades and let the chips fall where they may.  Much better than coming off scripted or phony.  And just for the record when I start worrying about what kind of bag my kid has...  time to get a beer and relax a little more.

I agree with the bolded. Not worried about the type of bag he uses, just an observation from the few showcases we have been too.

Does it have water bottles in the bag or does the parent "hand" it over the fence

to the player. Years ago at one our Area Code games, the Texas Rangers scout/coach told the young pitcher that if his father called the pitches from behind home plate at Blair.

He would remove the pitcher from the game - immediately.The boy received the message.

The radar gun was for fast balls.

Bob

<www.goodwillseries.org>

Last edited by Consultant

Not all Scouts and Coaches think alike. However, most do pay attention to tell tale signs.

Once at an event in Texas, we had a kid that was one of the top catching prospects in the country.  I saw him entering the park with his parents.  Dad was carrying one bag, mom was carrying another bag, and the boy was walking in front of them carrying a soda.  This left an impression and quite honestly I couldn't help but wonder what happens when the kid is off on his own.

This kid did end up at a top college, but never realized his potential.  Ended up transferring twice and then out of baseball.  So the next time I see a mom and dad carrying there son's equipment into the park, I suppose it will bring back memories.

My pet peeve is parents handing drinks, sunflower seeds, etc., to their son in the dugout during a game. Make sure this is done before the game.  I hate it when a kid hollers instructions like get me a PowerAde from the dugout during a game. That dugout is off limits to those not associated with the team.  However much this bothers me, it doesn't necessarily, by itself, mean a whole lot because it happens a lot even with some top players.

All that said, talent always is the most important thing.  You would be surprised what gets over looked when a player has exceptional talent.  I bet many years ago there were NBA scouts that hated to see a player with a tattoo. Wonder how good the NBA would be these days if all players with tattoo's were left out.

Bad player - I don't like jewelry

Bad player - I don't like wearing the cap wrong

Bad player - I don't like wearing the uniform wrong

Bad player - I don't like beards

Good player - Those things don't bother me as much because those are things you can change if you want to.

The very best player - He could have hair down to his ankles and still look good.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.