Skip to main content

Best baseball memories are somewhat odd ones. In college I drove from my college on Long Island NY to Philly to surprise my dad who was with the visiting Expos. I'll never forget the look on his face when he exited the dugout. I had no ticket, but just decided on a whim to drive down. I must have looked like a very honest college kid, because the security guard and ticket window person believed me when I told them my story, and called down to the clubhouse to get my dad's ok to give me a ticket. I went in and down to the boxes to give my dad a hug, and a photographer was kind enough to take a photo of us. I remember every minute of that surprise visit like it was yesterday.

Now, with son, it is a GREAT memory every day I watch him play - whether it is game, or workout, or whatever. Best oldest memory - watching him hit two walk off game winning HRs - one when he was 10, one when he was maybe 11 or 12? Best newest memory - seeing his face on the phone when he got the college offer he eventually accepted. Oh, and BTW, one of these two HRs was probably his best/strongest memory, because it formed the basis of his college app essay - and what an essay it was - I never knew he could write like that, totally blew me away.
First of all, this should be a Golden Thread. These are the greatest stories I've read in a long time. I had a few tears reading many of them.

Mine are very similar.

As a player, winning the 10 or 11 year old local Little League championship, beating the "unbeatable" team in convincing fashion. 30 years later, I vividly remember catching a towering flyball from my second base position.

As a coach, I'm a lousy coach. But, I did get to watch Littlepapi throw a perfect game this summer. 17 of the 18 outs were Ks!

As a parent, any day that I can watch my boys play. But one that really stood out was this summer. Mediumpapi(15)is playing in the first game of a tournament with his new team. Littlepapi (10) is playing his first Little League game of the year fifty miles away.

Thank God for cell phones. My wife calls to say that Littlepapi just hit a home run. I was thrilled and crushed at the same moment because I missed his shot. Mediumpapi was coming into the dugout after retiring the other team. I walked up to the dugout and half-jokingly said, "your brother just hit a home run, you know what you have to do now."

The other players looked at me kind of funny as they didn't know me well then.

Mediumpapi led off the inning with a home run of his own!

BTW, once the players got to know me, they still looked at me kind of funny!
Last edited by biggerpapi
Lots of wonderful memories. Too many to write about. But my dad is gone now, whn my son was a 10 year old all stat he won the game in the bottom of the ninth in elimination round with a triple with bases loaded and 2 outs. Game had gone into extra innings, four of which my son pitched. My dad was walking around after the game telling every one that was his grandson.
I wish my dad could of seen him win their first ever HS sectuon championship. My daughter who hated baseball, she is 26. she went to the section finals, before the game she said mom please dont embarrass me and cheer to loud. So I was really quiet somewhat until we won the section title in the bottom of the seventh with a walk off HR. Everyone went crazy, We all stormed the field. as I was hugging everyone on the field I turn to find my daugter hugging people she didnt even know, she stormed the field right behind me. She later told me she had never seen anything as exciting as that.We laugh about that all the time now. She said mom "there were people hugging me that I have never even seen before, since she lives out of town and missed many HS games.She now loves baseball.THAT is huge for our family.
This is a great video and story - Hoover Bucs High School baseball - losing by 4 runs in the last inning of the 6A State Championship game - scored 5 runs in the last inning to come back and win... First baseball championship in the 27 years... This team was told they wouldn't win a game... But with amazing team camaraderie-they overcame all odds... you can see the team chemistry at the end of the video... Fortunately, one of the dads videotaped the last inning and another dad edited it and put it to music for the players-it's only about 4 minutes long ... but it's definitely worth watching and inspiring!!! you can see it here>>Bucs Championship Comeback Victory
you'll have to humor me on this....

son was 5yrs old and we had him in the 6yr old s****r/mob-ball league. he was running away with the ball, scoring machine, looked like he was having a blast. about the 4th week, when it was time to go to the game, he stopped at the door and said, "Dad, I don't like s***r." and I said "WOOHOOOOO, me either son". and we/he never touched a s****r ball again. all baseball from then on.

favorite baseball memory was when he was 13 and ended up being the starting 2nd baseman for Varsity legion team. played for the district champeenship in the new AA stadium. team lost first game and fought all the way back to play them again in finals. hit over .300 with no errors district week for his second place team. he then started HS 3 weeks later.
Last edited by Lonzo
Fun topic, I have one grand moment and a couple of new ones.....

Best moment baseball for me (as a mom) was when my son was attending his senior year baseball banquet. We had just won the California CIF Southern Section Division 1 State Championship...

Our Coach, a 31 season hs coach with 6 CIF Championships and dozens of former players playing collegiate level, minors and majors with over 600 wins at the varsity level told my son in front of 350 plus people that he was the best baseball player that ever played in his program.....That having my son on the field was like having an extra coach behind the plate calling the game.

Our coach is so respected that you could actually feel the whole room feel the weight of that statement. It got very quiet and the whole room just started applauding my son.

We were all fairly struck.
Last edited by playfair
As a player: sr.league championship game, I broke up a no-hitter with a leadoff single to RF in the top of the last inning down 6-0. At the time, it didn't seem like a big deal but we went on to score 6 runs in the inning to tie the game and went on to win the championship in extra innings. I scored 2 of those runs (walked next AB))and got the game ball even though our #3 hitter hit 2 hrs that game.

As a parent: son went 4-5 including a 2-run triple and 3-rbi, 3 SB and 4 runs scored in an upset win in the opening round of the county playoff tournament. They got got as far as the 3rd round and were 3 outs from making the quarterfinals before getting eliminated in an extra inning game against the #3 ranked team in the area in a 2-1 10 inning game which was one of the best HS games I've ever seen played. Before eventually losing in 10, he made 2 defensive gems which at the time kept the lead and the game tied.

The other was in the Babe Ruth district semi finals, son went 5-5, 9 rbi including a grand slam to get to the district finals.
Last edited by zombywoof
When my son signed his NLI was the day that gave me the most pride, the most joy was watching his last NWL games in his home town after being drafted the same day 2007. When 7000 Madison fans gave him a standing ovation when left the game knowing he would never where a Madison uniform again gave me the chills.
1. Numerous son's outings and associated awards, trips and family things.

1A. Game 4, 5, 6, 7 2004 ALCS & 2004 WS

2. Fenway Park 1969 with mom & dad, Saturday afternoon, 1st row behind first base. Pop gets a foul ball and hands it to me. During the next at bat Pop gets another foul ball and hands it to a complete strangers kid. Pop's a nice guy.
Last edited by Dad04
Me--1. Coming back from an ACL and MCL tear to make my junior college team as a catcher.

2. Even though I couldn't hit worth a dime, had no speed and is just a hair over 6 feet, I was able to walk on at a D1 school.

Son (he is 6 years old) 1. His first t-ball game. He hit a screaming shot down the 3rd base line. As he is rounding first, he is giving me the thumbs up sign.

2. The first time he saw the inside of the Ballpark in Arlington. He said to me "Dad, this is the coolest place in the world."
Me;
1. Winning the D2 World Series
2. Following that up by winning the NBC World Series 2 months later.
3. Just playing catch with my boys.

Son #1;
1. Watching him dog pile after beating Puerto Rico 4-3 to win the Gold Medal for Team USA 14U this past October.

Son #2
1. Watching him pitch a no hitter for his travel team.
2. Game winning hit in the championship as a 10 year old off the league's best pitcher.

Wishing we were back in t-ball so we could start all over, good times!
Watching our son play at Yankee Stadium and Fenway Park this year for Yankees Area Code Team.

My 83 year old Dad, a life long Red Sox Fan, got to see his grandson play at Fenway Park. He called me the next day to say "his grandson made his life complete watching him at Fenway"

The next sentence was "tell him to burn that uniform?
It was about 10 or 11 years ago. My son was getting ready to try out for the high school baseball team and I thought he had a good chance to make it as a freshman. I was looking for help on the internet to better understand the process and early that morning I found the "High School Baseball Web". That was MY best baseball day.
08 Son a freshman at WUV was starting in LF at Rutgers (being from jersey shore Margate NJ) Students all hang out above the LF wall. They were all over him for three days! It was great!The final day Sunday his HS Coach and team chartered a bus and came to the game.Top of the tenth he got the game wining hit! Great Day!I think Rutgers now knows who my Son is!
This is a great thread for the winter!!

My best moment came when I was 12 in LL and it was the top of the 6th inning bases loaded and 2 outs. coach asked who was up and the score keeper said "Robert" and my coach replied back "Great...Robert" (Robert would be my last name...lol). So I go up the plate and rip the 1st pitch I see off of the top of the center field wall for a bases clearing double (I hopped ala Dave Henderson in '86 all the way to second.

As for my son there are several, one would be watching him hit a homerun in the playoffs in Cooperstown in the bottom of the 6th down by one to tie it up and then come up to bat two innings later to drive in the winning run. another was watching him throw 14 innings of 1 hit ball over 3 games at his home field and leading his team to the state title for his middle school.

Hopefully many more memories on the horizon as he is a freshman in high school now...
Last edited by redsox8191

As a parent there are a couple:

1) HS District Championship game (2012) - son's team is losing 5-4 against our arch rivals going into the bottom of the 7th .  We have the 8-9-1 part of the lineup coming up.   Not looking good. 8 and 9 hitter strike out.  Ugh!  Now its really looking bad.  I'm pacing like crazy.    #1 hitter coming up to bat.  First three pitches are no where near the strike zone.  He had a 2 run bomb in the 5th so they didn't want to give him anything to hit.  Opposing coach says put him on so it goes down as an intentional walk.   Son is now up to bat.   Works the count to 2-1.   Next pitch (a ball inside) the runner steals 2nd.  Throw down is wide.  Safe!  Next pitch (3-1) starts inside but begins to tail back over the plate.  Son drives it over the 3B head deep into the LF corner for a RBI stand up double!  Tie ball game!   Team holds the visitors to a 1-2-3 inning and manages to score the game winning run in the bottom of the 8th.  Bedlam!  First District Championship since 1987.

2) American Legion game later that summer.   Team down 8-3 after 4 innings.  They keep chipping away at it scoring 13 unanswered runs over the next 5 innings.  Son goes 5-5 with two doubles and three singles.  Of course, wife had the video camera at daughter's LL game. 

3) Sophomore season (2014) at PHCC (D2 JuCo) - has a fantastic season breaking the school record for # of doubles in a season.  Hits 24 doubles during the course of the regular season with three more doubles in the playoffs.  27 total.  Statistically is #2 in the nation for doubles hit for D2 JuCo players.  To this day he still holds the school record.

4) Winston-Salem State University (D2) opening weekend (2015) - Second game of a double header team is down by one run in the 6th inning.  It's a cold night with flyballs dying in the outfield.  Son comes up with one on and one out.  Drives one to deep left.  Doesn't look like it has enough carry but it keeps going.  It's gonna be close.....hits the top of the wall and bounces over!  Home run!   Ends up being the game winning hit as the team holds the visitors scoreless for the remaining three innings.

5) 2015 CIAA Championship game - son goes 1-4 with a RBI single in a 8-3 win.  Is named to the CIAA Tournament Team.  Later that week is named to the 2015 Baseball All-CIAA Team (1st team).  Team would go on to finish 3rd in Regionals.

Corky9999 posted:
Tell us about your best baseball experience as a fan, a player or parent.

As a fan, my wife and I had great seats when Lou Brock got his 3,000 hit.  While it wasn't a "great hit," it was his 3000 hit and the stadium went crazy.  We were all given a certificate that showed that we were at the game.

As a player, my best day was the day of the ACT Test my junior year.  I had a pretty good HS career.  However, on this day, I went 5 for 5 with 5 doubles.  It was in a double header and we had to drive ourselves to an away game.  As the car I was riding in parked, my coach was screaming for me to get my shoes on and hit.  I ran as fast as I could and hit a ball off of the wall.  The next game, the other head coach kept saying that I couldn't keep it up.  I had my dream day.  I will never forget that day but to make it better, that opposing coach stopped our bus as we left to give me a ball.  He walked on the bus and then complimented me on the day.  The only thing that could make this better is that I eventually coached baseball at that school and he was still teaching in that school and put a good word in for me when I applied for the job.  

My best day as a coach?  How could I pick?  I been fortunate to be an AC on 2 state championship teams.  One of those two teams was voted as the #1 HS team in America in Collegiate Magazine as they went undefeated.  Another team went 64 wins before a loss in the state championship game.  I've seen so many great kids have career days.  My first game as a HC was so special!  I guess my best day as a baseball coach was every day I coached.

As a parent?  I changed from baseball to softball to watch and coach my daughter.  All of those days were special.  She was a 1st Team All State Player.  I did not miss a game when she played in college.  Watching her break school records was special.  Seeing her receive All American Honors was special.  Seeing her awarded her Academic All American Honor was amazing.  

This is the last year of my career.  I work with a bunch of great kids.  Baseball has given me so much.  I have mentioned here several times that my HS HC saved my life.  I grew up in a bad place and did bad things.  He gave me a path out of my neighborhood.  I am the single most blessed person I know.  

2 Sons about 18 months apart on the same coach pitch team at 8 & 7 years old.  Older boy not an athlete and a outfield day dreamer type and younger boy all in future baseball stud.

I am in my customary position half way down the left field line with team down by 1 in last inning and the older boy hitting last in lineup as a RH comes to the plate with 2 puts.  Low and behold he turns on one and it lands just inside the left field line right in front of me and rolls to the fence.  He circles the bases for the only HR he ever hit.  

Well I'll admit to being pretty pumped up about it.  When everything calms down his younger brother hitting leadoff as a LH hitter rifles the very next pitch down the right field line in almost the same hit and rolls to the fence.  He also circles the bases for the go ahead run.

Here's the part that was best of all - the two of them jumping up and down in a giant hug in the dugout.  They hung on to win and the ice cream never tasted better than that day.

Post script - 10 years later coach of that team son and my LH son were on same Showcase team.  He an I were talking at a game at UVA and I said to him - you what my best baseball moment was - he said - yep - when your boys went back to back. 

Just a great memory.

Player - Never played but umpired minor league and got the call during strike that I had a chance to go up to the majors.  Made the choice that family and being a pastor was more important than umpiring. 

Coach - first year head coach was my youngest son's freshman year.  Most wins in school history was 11 in a season and we went 22-3 and won district for first time ever.  Cost me $500 in rewards from ice cream to steaks.

Dad - Proudest was when my oldest son turned down Preferred walk-on as a 20 year old to continue coaching high school ball.  Said he loved coaching more than playing and I was his assistant coach.

Middle son - He pitched the game to get them in the conference championship in college.  When I get to see him coach softball in college now.

Youngest son - Either of the times I got to coach him in high school or Jupiter this year when he talked to scouts like a grown man.  Great to see him mature so quickly.

As I said in another post, don't ever take these days for granted if you are early in the process. They go quickly.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.