Skip to main content

My baseball program appears to possibly be getting a sizable sum of money to put in a hitting facility at our school. We currently have 2 outdoor batting cages with room for a 3rd if we wanted to do it. Right now, we have a simple dirt floor and nothing else, with cage nets that are getting pretty ragged.
If you could put in your ultimate hitting facility, what would you include? What examples have you seen at other places (links or pictures would be helpful)? What are the "MUSTS" and what would be on your "WISH LIST"?
Just wondering. Never had anyone make a gift donation like this to my program before. I'm NOT going to say how much it is at this point (for privacy reasons), but it is 5 figures.
Any information would be helpful. The donation is being made as a memorial gift, so I want to do it right. Thanks.

Jim Knight, GM @ Sports Junction  (Harrisburg, NC)

Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Since you said "dream", I would include the pitching machine that they always display at the National Clinic. The one that has the screen w/ the "live" pitcher throwing to the hitter.

In reality I would include, if possible, a computer setup w/ one of the good video analysis software packages included. Somewhere you can video your hitters, and then sit down with them to review their mechanics.
Coach, our batting cages have concrete and astroturf. We got the field turf that was used but cut out of an indoor facility. It is in fantastic shape and cost a lot less than the new stuff. You can easily find it on line. If I redid my cage nets, something to think about is having a large cage constructed that would cover the perimeter of 2 cages (assuming that they are side by side)and then also include a divider that can be raised and lowered. In doing this, you can lift the cage divider up and have a decent fielding station when it is too wet to get much of anything done in the OF/in. Naturally, the divider net would have to be heavy since it will get pounded on by both cages. I was bless in that I had 3 full cages, 2/3 half cages, 2 rolling backstops all for the varsity.
I currently have 3 outdoor cages, a practice infield, and a Barn with 2 full length hitting tunnels fully enclosed with lights, pavement and artificial turf...AND IT'S GETTING BULLDOZED AT THE END OF THE SEASON TO MAKE ROOM FOR A NEW FOOTBALL STADIUM AND FOOTBALL PRACTICE FIELDS. Welcome to Texas High School Sports.

They are building me a new baseball complex off campus. I'll have a full size practice field, but I doubt I'll have an indoor facility like I have now. Oh well, I guess we'll have to rough it.
quote:
Originally posted by funneldrill:
I currently have 3 outdoor cages, a practice infield, and a Barn with 2 full length hitting tunnels fully enclosed with lights, pavement and artificial turf...AND IT'S GETTING BULLDOZED AT THE END OF THE SEASON TO MAKE ROOM FOR A NEW FOOTBALL STADIUM AND FOOTBALL PRACTICE FIELDS. Welcome to Texas High School Sports.

They are building me a new baseball complex off campus. I'll have a full size practice field, but I doubt I'll have an indoor facility like I have now. Oh well, I guess we'll have to rough it.

Can I have your leftovers???????

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.