Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Whats the hardest youve seen someone throw?

I saw Doyle hit 93. then a kid from QND was throwing 90-92 all game vs us in the Super-Sectional game.

kbsbll30 .. when did you start touching 90? i dont remember you throwing that hard when we played you in conference. our shortstops dad had the gun and said that you topped out at 85. not trying to critisize you. i am just curious.
99 consistantly? It's not that I don't believe it, but not even Bobby Jenks who has gone triple digits is a consitant 99, he is consistant at 97. Not to mention he is consistant at 97 at his young age in the pros which means u know he has adrenaline running out of his ears and any pitcher that has gone into a crucial game thats tied or close knows u throw a lot harder then normal. As for the original subject I'd say about 78-79 is the average and the hardest I have ever seen is when i batted against John Ely who was poppin low 90's, thats smoke when thats the first time you've faced 90 + and as a sophmore.
A few years ago a kid name Colt Griffin was clocked at 100mph in high school in Texas. He's been in the minors the last 4 years. If you read Nolan Ryan's biography he was throwing 98mph as a junior in high school but was extremely wild at 145lbs!But if your really into speed "google" Steve Dalkowski -the fastest (and wildest) pitcher who ever lived. If they had radar guns in the early 60's this guy had to throw 103-107mph!
Colt Griffin is stuck in AA as a reliever. He has control problems and has an ERA in the mid 4's.

Yes the Tim Robbin's character, Nuke LaLoosh, in Bull Durham is partially based on Steve Dalkowski. If you read some of the articles about Steve, he blew out his arm fielding a bunt- and was never able to throw above 90 again. After his baseball career was over in the mid 60's, he was overcome by alcoholism, depression, and poverty. He was 5'11" 180lb but born with a "cannon" for an arm! In one article it was said that Steve threw a ball 450ft!
Last edited by Observer NIL
Mark McCormick, the pitcher from Baylor and the Cardinals supplemental 1st round draft pick, hit 100 MPH a few times in high school.

The fastest I've seen in high school is about 93-94. That was coming out of the hand of Max Scherzer and Dave Phelps. However, not sure if it was actually 93-94 at the time. I just had heard these pitchers could get it up into the mid 90s. It sure did look 93-94, though.
Well, i could top out at 82, i probably throw 79-80 consistently. I would say I am average or slightly above. I've seen alot of high school pitchers and maybe only three or four have hit 90. For everyone who has said they hit 90 on this message board, go get a radar gun and do it again.
by the way: has Doyle picked up some velocity out of nowhere, because at our legion districts he was getting 85-86-87-and one or two 88s or 89s, not anywhere close to the 93 i've heard about. Not being critical, just skeptical. If he can throw 93, i would like to see it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.