Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Justbaseball, That was a good article. It shows how much the parents want the youngsters to be good hitters. We have had a cage in our yard for 14 years. We are fortunate in that we have 5 1/2 acres, and the only rule my wife has is to keep it out of her sight. Smile We have it about 75 yds from the house in the middle of the trees, along with the pitchers mound where it is hidden away.
Our cage cost about $2800, the Master pitching machine at that time only cost me $900 and then an Atec soft toss was $250 and a tee was whatever. The net was replaced about 5 years ago, but the pitching machine and soft toss still work real well. Two sons, 7 years apart in age and many of their friends got to take a lot of rips in the past 14 years.

PS. A friend used his bulldozer to level the ground for free.
Last edited {1}
We've had a cage for 6 years and I wish I'd bought it earlier-a great investment, but forget the pitching machine and buy God's gift to Old men like me-an "L" screen. Lots of time spent in there with my sons. It's next to the mound (dirt) and the soft toss machine. I couldn't build the "Field of Dreams" and bring back the old timers, but a lot of Little Leaguers have been through our cage. (only 3.7 acres here, but the pool is 30 feet away when they finish hitting-yea, I know, very spoiled, but awfully nice and we're way overly blessed...)
Last edited {1}
My husband and a couple of other Little League dads built our cage when my son was 9. In western Washington, you need a roof to make it worthwhile, so they built a covered structure, complete with asphalt roofing. During my son's Little League years his coach ran team practices out back, with five or six stations including the cage. It's been about the most used structure on our property, and right now there's a friend and his son out there getting ready for high school season. We've even had neighbors complain about the traffic on the street due to the cage! I just mention to them that those boys could be doing something a lot worse than batting practice with their spare time.

We're getting ready to move this summer, and I hope the next owner appreciates the cage as much as we have. We will miss the kids and their parents that we have gotten to know better because of the cage in the back yard.
Dad04-I just passed the limit with son number 2 Sunday-he was throwing to me in the Gym, emphasize "throwing" not pitching- and despite my admonition to take it easy, as he wound up I saw a little grin...and I bailed out as the ball whooshed by..no more catching him for me. I'm done. Line crossed. I hit the big 5-0 this summer and that's about all the velocity I should be catching, 5-0. (and JustMom can quit laughing now, yes, getting old here in the hills....) biglaugh
By the time he was throwing upper 70s my vision was changing. It was wierd to not be able to catch fast pitching anymore safely. We get a lot done know watching videos and working on stance issues, load , balance and launch in the house. We go back to the MLB images to reinforce points. We can do more getting on the same page in the den than in hte cage sometimes. Would like a cage but too close to graduation now.
We've had a cage up and pitching machine for years. It's been the best investment going and contributed to the bushel basket of homerun balls now collecting dust. But that was before freshman year when varsity coach AND summer coach both said, "Lose the bat".......it’s a long story and was a very sad day for this family. Frown Today the cage is still used to give lessons to local LL players, but it’s just not the same as hearing the crack of the bat 24-7. Neighbors might be happier though. Wink

Last edited {1}
LOL. Don't imagine peace and quiet are problem for ya...
Growing up in Brooklyn, the island is the country to us. Car and front doors are open until bedtime... However, the neighbors do think we're crazy.

The best some of us can do here is convert the inside of the garage and hopefully be able to squeeze an L screen in. lol

Geez at about $1.5 mil per acre out here, I'd need not worry about scholarship money...

"On two legs, Mickey Mantle would have been the greatest ballplayer who ever lived." - Nellie Fox
We have a batting cage in the backyard as well. It's both a tool and a convenience. No more trips to the local cages (except now in winter) We have a 2 wheel jugs machine and I built an "L" Frame for safety. We don't have a lot of room in the backyard so I strung cables from the house to the garage and the net slides on pulleys, back to the garage for storage (and to let me cut the grass - what's left of it) I coach both a rec/LL team and a travel team and we have been using our backyard for batting practice for a while now (that's why there is very little grass)
At first some folks thought I was nuts.... but my son was 9 when we got the cage playing in 12u Little League. (we are a small town with a small population) He was batting .000 at about the midpoint of the season when we got the cage. It was obvious to me that he was afraid of 12 year old pitching.... within 2 weeks of getting the cage, he was over his fear and hitting the ball with authority. He ended up hitting just over .320 that year. He led the league in hitting last year at 10. No one questions my cage anymore Smile

cong

"In baseball, you don't know nothing." - Yogi
We built our 70' cage (well, I had a local fence co. do it) in June 2002, when my son was about to turn 8.

He loves it, and we have a few of his friends over at least a couple times per month to hit (and play).

We do have a machine but probably only use it ~3-4 times per month. I mostly pitch from ~25' behind an L-screen, as well as soft toss and tee work.

Last season, before our league had obtained field permits, we even conducted a few team practices in our yard.

We're glad we have one and look forward to the next 8-10 yrs w/ it. Smile
Actually 7 years ago when we moved to a new house, the one requirement I had to have was there had to be room for a Batting cage. So we bought home on an acre of land. So I have built a 70' cage, along with a mound (pitchers clay) on one end. Built the frame myself, put it into sleeves in concrete, bought $600 net, several 500 Watt lamps from Home Depot ran heavy duty extension cords from the garage, and presto Batting cage with lights. Total cost around $1200. But DOESN'T even compare to several others in our neighborhood. Slowly added old used pieces of carpet, so its now completely covered. Early on the boys were in it constantly; would take several hundred swings a week. Now the HS workouts, limit its usage, although, it still gets used a couple times a week during baseball season, little less during the off-season.

Started with a Single wheel machine and my arm... L-screen became a necessity in short order. Boys outgrew my arm first, then sold Single wheel (got almost 75% of my purchase price), bought a Juggs Curveball machine.

At about 14 there was no way I could catch my oldest... without getting hurt, even with full gear, but my youngest is now able to, although he complains on every bounced pitch.

In the long run it was a great investment, because I'll probably be able to sell the Juggs machine for a large percentage of what I bought it for and will have used it for 10-12 years... assuming I abandon any thoughts of grand kids.
Last edited {1}
After putting it off as long as I could I have broken down and ordered a cage for the back yard. should be in next week.
It should get real interesting around the house now.
Flood lights and all night BP. My neighbors are going to love it.

If anyone one is ever in the neighborhood drop by and we'll take a few swings.
Put my cage up when my son was 10. Was 0 for 26 when the decision was made to put it up. With lots of patience and practice we worked through it. Best memories ever. CAUTION: Don't invest in a cage thinking your scholarship money is just a few hundred thousand pitches away. Go to the scholarship section of this site...More scholarships allowed in Lacrosse, and Track & Field than baseball. Do if for the love of your kid, not money...Oh ya better invest in some good lessons to. A few thousand bad swings in the cage are tough to correct. Smile
Hubby and son tore out the deck in our first backyard and built a cage. In NOR. CA., yards were very small in our neighborhood, so cage took over entire backyard. They got a Batting Tudor whiffleball machine. That thing can flat out bring it from 30-40 ft. Throws Knuckleballs, too. Then they rebuilt cage and went with a Atec Machine that can throw the live baseballs or rubber balls. So as soon as that was completed, we moved of course. In the Midwest, we got some acreage. They built a cage out front that looks like something from Apocolypse Now. It's scary but it works. Then they put a recreational whiffleball field in the west field. The team had a blast playing on hot summer nights. We were buying Gatorade in bulk. Recently, hubby and son tore out the horse stalls in barn and converted it into an indoor cage for winter. It's rustic but the dirt floor has been great for batting. They stapled plastic up for a little insulation, then added a turbo Kerosene heater for those cold winter days and he can hit when it's 20 degrees out. We love to watch him hit, it's poetry in motion. What a ride!
Eight years ago I was doing a little Ebaying and ran across an auction for 250 linear feet of commercial fishing net - 12' wide. Perfect. Put up a pipe frame, used some rigging hardware I had leftover from a major audio system installation and in two days I had a 70' x 20' x 12' cage - for under $300.00. Last yer some 70 mph wind gusts took a tree down on it. Best baseball investment ever!
We have been having a batting cage in our backyard for about 3 years; we live on one acre. Husband built the frame, bought a $600.00 net. Found a double wheel jugs machine for $500.00 in the local paper. Pitching machine was in excellent shape, not a scratch or dent, could not tell it was used. I thought it was a great deal. Cage is used at least 5 days a week from January through August. We have two boys, age 12 and 15. It was worth every penny. Husband also gives free hitting instructions and/or batting practice to whoever asks or shows up.
Swingbuster, when you're loading that HBH, you don't to worry about much about that vision. LOL! I do understand your predicament. My girl is throwing hard enough now that I'm getting busted up. Besides the bruises, she's bloodied my ear.

I wish we had a cage in our backyard. We don't! Probably a good thing since both my daughter and I could become fanatics. Of course I'm blessed with having a cage year round anyway both indoors and out. I do have to drive a couple of miles to get here. ...and they said that there weren't any perks to this job.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.