Skip to main content

After the news hit yesterday that Pedey is retiring, I began reading several articles on Dustin Pedroia HOF candidate.  Pedey has been one of my favorite Red Soxplayers for a while....I love that little chip on his shoulder that he played with.   He will be in the Red Sox HOF...no question.   Cooperstown is another matter entirely.

I've looked at stats for Mazeroski, PeeWee Reese and Phil Rizzuto.  If that is the HOF standard then Pedroia has a shot.  I happen to be a "small Hall" guy and I think there are way too many guys in the HOF.  Pedey's body of work comes up a little short for me mostly due to the short career.   Injuries happen but Pedroia was the victim of some dirty play by Manny Machado and his spikes high slide a few years ago.  Very unfortunate that he was not able to play out his career.

What are your thoughts for Pedroia in the HOF?

"I'm not a Republican or a Democrat.  I'm a member of the Cocktail Party." - Anonymous

Last edited by fenwaysouth
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

As a lifelong resident of the Northeast, I watched Pedroia play almost every night.  He was a great player, especially when considering his size limitations.  However, I believe one of the Hall criteria has generally been, and should continue to be, greatness over an extended period of time.  I just don't think Pedey had enough great years.  His great years were great, just not enough of them.  That said, I suppose in a year like this year without many compelling Hall candidates, he could get in.

Yes, I hear you guys loud and clear.  Agree not enough great years on his resume to get into HOF.  If he had not tried to come back in 2018 and 2019 he would have been a lifetime .300 hitter.  Those 31 ABs brought his avg down to .299.   He was a very good hitter, but think his fielding and leadership get overlooked.  I think if Cooperstown HOF voting was left to Red Sox fans, we'd be okay but I don't see it happening.  #imissthelasershow

The Red Sox definitely "reached" on Pedroia, if you can believe his draft report below, and his "below average tools across the board":Image

Always enjoy watching him play, and a soft spot in my heart. RipkenFanSon's two most common "comps" are David Eckstein and Dustin Pedroia, with the latter primarily for the way he plays and son's pre-step "hop." I have to agree with many of the posters ahead of me--definite Red Sox HOF, though I don't think he has the seasons or lengthy body of work for Cooperstown.

@Dominik85 posted:

Great Player but imo utley and kent should be in before him. I think he falls a bit short.

Spot on.  Utley will be an interesting situation.   His sabermetrics (WAR) was excellent over a 10 year period...he was the best at his position during this period.   He has the longevity and performance over that period.   Like Kent, he redefined what a 2nd baseman can do...hit for power.  However, like Pedrioa he is just shy of 2000 hits.    Again, I'm a "small Hall" guy and I don't think he gets in through the front door.   Possibly with the Veterans committee, as those are the guys that played against him. 

Utley also has the "tweener" problem. The HOF loves guys with either very high BA or lots of homers (or ideally both) but utley was a kinda balanced player who hit 280 with 25 homers and a good amount of walks plus good defense.

He had a couple 30 HR and 300 BA seasons too but generally he was more well rounded and didn't have that outstanding skill.

The voters don't love that and especially they don't love value tied to defense or walks.

Jim edmonds was a really bad ommision too and he also had lots of value tied to defense and walks (even though he had two 40+ homer seasons)

Pedroia is a HOF player, but does not belong in the hall if that makes any sense. Obviously had he been stayed healthy he's a shoe in, but unfortunately longevity is part of it.

He was arguably the best player in baseball for a 7 year period alongside guys like Miggy, Mauer, Pujols, ARod, and the beginning of the Trout era.

If Pedroia isn't a HOFer, which I don't think he will be. Does somebody like Votto get in? Mauer? They all have very similar stats despite Pedroia playing 2 full seasons less than Mauer and 1.5 seasons (and counting) less than Votto.

When I think of DP, I think didn't play enough. But when I think of the Mauer and Votto it's instantly yes. Then you look at the numbers and it gets you thinking. Catching will obviously help the Mauer case. But you'd think winning and clutch moments might be enough to bridge that gap.  

@Dominik85 posted:

Utley also has the "tweener" problem. The HOF loves guys with either very high BA or lots of homers (or ideally both) but utley was a kinda balanced player who hit 280 with 25 homers and a good amount of walks plus good defense.

He had a couple 30 HR and 300 BA seasons too but generally he was more well rounded and didn't have that outstanding skill.

The voters don't love that and especially they don't love value tied to defense or walks.

Jim edmonds was a really bad ommision too and he also had lots of value tied to defense and walks (even though he had two 40+ homer seasons)

.280 hitter with 25 HRs is 60 on the MLB scale... This seems light for HOF as most seem to be 70 for at least one category.  Pedroia is right there, and with his team leadership, winning attitude and World Series rings I'd vote him in... particularly since his career was cut short due to injury.

When healthy, Pedroia was a good ballplayer who had the potential to make great plays and collect big hits. He was a little guy who talked a big game that he would often be able to back up, and Boston certainly would not have won the 2007 World Series without him. For those reasons, he belongs in the Red Sox Hall of Fame, but he shouldn’t make Cooperstown.

https://www.insidehook.com/dai...star-isnt-hall-famer

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.