Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

"Blueberry Addie" (named after my daughter).

Need:
*two cans blueberry pie filling (apple/peach also work well).
*one box white cake mix
*one stick of butter
*larger size rectangular glass baking dish.

Lube the baking dish with PAM or something. Spread the pie filling evenly over the bottom of the dish.

Put the cake mix into a bowl and keep 'cutting' the butter in until it all looks kind of chunky. Before the next step, eat a bunch of it while no one's looking.

Put the cake+butter mixture (or what's left of it) on top of the pie filling and spread evenly.

I don't have the recipe here at work, but I think it's something like bake 20 minutes at 350, or until the cake mix on top looks golden - and the filling may be bubbling thru here and there.

Serve warm if possible, and of course it's extra good with some ice cream on the side!

Easy, fast, and mighty tasty.
Last edited by Krakatoa
This would probably work with any tenderloins, however i prefer venison!
1 bottle soy sauce
3 cups brown sugar
mix together and pour over tenderloin, marinate overnight, frequently turning tenderloin, before putting in oven wrap tenderloin in bacon strips, I hold em in place with toothpicks.bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.

quote:
Originally posted by jmepop:
This is probably too easy to be called a recipe but we make an awesome grilled salmon.

Just pour on some Ken's garlic and herb marinade wrap in tin foil and throw on the grill for about 15 minutes. Taste's better than anything I have had in a restaurant and couldn't be any simpler to make.

I don't know jmepop...I tried a Mexican style grilled fish known as a sarandeado and that tin foil thing sure got the best of me and my wrist too!.

Maybe I should have used the Saran Wrap© as the recipe called for.

Wink
Please keep them coming...I could allways use good ideas for our after game snacks.Well here in Hawaii our after game snacks are more like meals for the kids and families.
I like the sound of 2Diamond's tenderloin/venison dish.Very simple but tasty.Now if only I can shoot a Axis Deer I'd be good to go.

I'll put a few up if anybody is into "Hawaiian Style" cooking as well.
Everyone knows how to cook a good brat or burger at a tailgate. The key is what to serve with it. Here are a couple ideas.

Blasted Tailgate Tomatoes:

This is a great quick side dish for tailgating. Use a camp stove and a wok.

Put some olive oil in a wok, add a double handful of pine nuts and roast them in the olive oil. Once they brown up, add a large helping of cherry tomatoes to the wok and start tossing everything together. You want the tomatoes warm, not "cooked". Immediately add about a half cup of tequila (more if you like ... I like). Toss in some chopped cilantro and some diced garlic. Grind some pepper over the mess and throw in a dash of salt, constantly moving the mix around so it doesn't actually "cook". You want everything "warm", not soft and messy.

Makes a really quick side dish for some carne asada or chili at a early season tailgate.

--------------------------------

Some "tater salad" is always good, but serve it with a twist. Brazilian style is always good.

Brazilian Mayonnaise Potato Salad

Dice about 5 large potatoes into 3/4" chunks, and cook them in water and salt. Cut up a small handful (10-15) of baby carrots into 1/8" slices and cook them lightly in water and salt. Defrost and drain a generous handful (maybe a cup) of frozen Green Beans and frozen Peas. Drain a can of palm hearts and cut them into small pieces. Cut up a small handful (10-15) of medium sized olives into quarters. Add about a cup of finely diced onion and about a cup of finely chopped parsley. Put all ingredients in a bowl, mix well with a large wad of mayonnaise (maybe 20 ounces or so -- eyeball this to your preference), add salt and pepper to taste, and let it rest a day before serving.

----------------

This goes great with Brazilian style beef. Easiest way to get an idea of a Brazilian style beef at a tailgate is to make some kabobs. Get a small beef tenderloin (about a pound) and marinade it in olive oil, lemon juice, chopped onion, chopped garlic , salt and pepper for a few hours. (use equal portions of the olive oil, lemon juice onion and garlic -- about 2 tablespoons each). Cut it into chunks. Soak some wood skewers in water while the beef is marinading. Get some thick cut peppered bacon and cut it into squares. Cut up the beef into chunks and skewer it alternating the beef and bacon. Grill as you normally would. This will give you an idea of a typical Brazilian beef dish.

(You can substitute a tri-tip for the tenderloin, just cut it into longish strips before you add it to the marinade).

quote:
Originally posted by HiHardHeat:
Dice about 5 large potatoes...

Being an Irishman and therefore obviously a potato lover please be gentle with the cherished spuds.

If you must dice them, as HHH suggests, please knock them out first by smacking them between the eyes with a heavy gauge masher.

It's really the least you can do to treat these magnificent tubers with respect before they enter that great potato patch in the sky.

Thank-you.

Last edited by gotwood4sale
Ok, here is my life's work when it comes to cooking....

I got the following hot/spicy recipe from an Italian guy named Vito Pasquale in 1986. Vito got the recipe from his mother who ironically was Croatian. I have worked on it ever since although the recipe is still probably 85% or 90% the same as when I got it from Vito.

Since I am an Engineer, whenever I have met another Italian woman (or man) who happens to make sauce, I ask them about their recipe. If they tell me something I have never heard before, I'll try it and if I like it, I'll incorporate it into the sauce. I have been working on it for 23 years. I have never had one child or adult tell me they did not like it. In fact, most come back for seconds so that tells me what they think of it. The recipe is designed so that you can tweak it to your own tastes. I "highly" recommend following it closely the first time you make it before deviating however. Let me know what you think via pm if you like and please I'll take any other suggestions you might have. The recipe can be easily doubled but you'll need a really big pot for that. Thanks and hopefully you will enjoy as much as I have:

Sauce Ingredients (single batch in a large cooking pot):

Olive Oil

Garlic Cloves (probably ½ bulb for single batch)

3 - 28 oz cans of Hunt’s Sauce (tried them all including Contadina and Hunt’s is required)

1 - 18 oz can Hunt’s Paste

2/3 can of Water from each Sauce can

3 cans of Water from the Paste can

Black Pepper (to taste see directions below)

½ tea spoon of crushed, cayenne Red Pepper

Red Pepper Flakes

½ cup Kraft Parmesan/Romano cheese

1 tablespoon Basil

1 tablespoon Oregano

2-3 Bay Leaves

1/3 Stick of Butter (optional)

2 Quarts Whole White Mushrooms (added to sauce after mixing is done)

1 Whole Green Pepper (optional)

1 Large Hot Yellow or White Onion

Sauce cooking instructions: (Note – never add salt or sugar to this recipe)

Crush about ½ bulb or about 3-4 cloves of garlic. Do not use powder. Coat bottom of cooking pot with Olive oil and turn large burner on to low heat. Brown garlic slightly in the oil and until a nice aroma is in the house. Note: I used to put garlic into sauce raw but got the idea for browning the garlic in oil from the movie the Godfather. It sweetens things up just a bit.

Add 3 cans of sauce and water to pot. Add Paste and water to sauce and stir thoroughly until paste is mixed into sauce. Blacken top of sauce lightly with black pepper. Stir and taste. This part is where you can tune the sauce to your own liking. Add little by little and taste. Be careful here as you cannot un-pepper the sauce! I typically blacken the top twice and stir.

Stir in the Basil, Oregano, Red Pepper, cheese and bay leaves. Note: I used to use fresh cheese here but found that sometimes sticks to the bottom of the pot. Use the grated kind from Kraft and gives the sauce a slightly salty flavor. Sprinkle the top of the sauce with the red pepper flakes. This adds texture and more hotness to the sauce. Mix all those ingredients well.

Add the stick of butter (optional) and let melt into sauce. Sounds weird I know but I got this tip from a guy on a plane. He said his mother always did it and it richens the sauce. I tried it and agreed with him.

Note – always place veggies in whole – never cut them up and place into sauce. I think this is why kids like my sauce as there are no little bits of onions or pepper floating around that they might not like.

Take old top layer off onion and put into sauce whole. I usually leave onion in for about 5-6 hours or until my taste buds tell me to take it out. Wash mushrooms and put them into sauce. Green pepper – Be very careful as this is a natural sweetener. Cut top and bottom off pepper and remove seeds. Place pepper into sauce whole and don’t leave in sauce for more than 1 (one) hour. Do not use other types of peppers like Red bell peppers or yellow peppers – these will make the sauce too sickening sweet. Do not use hot peppers like banana peppers as these tend to make the sauce taste sour. There are plenty of hot things already in the recipe.

Continue to cook sauce on very slow boil for 6-8 hours or more until you get the desired thickness. Once it begins to bubble, you might have to turn the heat down slightly. All you are looking for is a slow bubble. Stir every once in a while. Save some of your sauce cans to hold/discard grease that comes from the meatballs and sausage described below.

Meat Ingredients:

2 garlic cloves (no powder)

Kraft Parmesan/Romano cheese

Black Pepper

Oregano

¼ cup Olive Oil

½ cup Milk

Fresh Parsley

1 or 2 slices of fresh bread (no bread crumbs)

2 eggs

1.5 lbs Ground Beef

1.5 lbs Ground Pork

1.5 lbs Mild Italian Sausage (prefer homemade from a butcher if possible. Note have found that Hot Italian Sausage does not taste as good after it cooks)

Instructions for meatballs:

In a large mixing bowl, mix the beef and pork together with a fork. Note: used to use tri-mix (beef/pork/veal) but believe 50/50 beef/pork tastes better. Blacken the top of the meat with black pepper. Sprinkle Oregano lightly over the meat. Crush the two cloves of garlic over the top. Whiten the top with a nice sprinkle of cheese. Take a small handful of fresh parsley and chop it up, and sprinkle over meat. Add ¼ cup of olive oil – I usually just pour this amount. Add ½ cup of milk – again usually just guess this amount. Add the two eggs. Wash hands thoroughly before mixing.

Take a large baking pan (with two inch sides) (you might need two pans) and fill with about ¼ inch of water covering the bottom of pan(s). Mix ingredients above with hands and thoroughly mash it together so all the ingredients are spread evenly throughout. Take slice of bread and tear off little pieces and place into meat. Mix that together with hands. At this point, the meatballs should be mostly sticky and no longer gooey. If still too gooey, put some more little pieces of fresh bread in and mix. Generally, one slice of bread is more than enough. Note- bread crumbs make meatballs too dry – don’t use them. Pack meatballs with hands and place into pan with water. Cook meatballs for about 25 minutes at 350 degrees before adding to sauce.

Instructions for Sausage:

Cut sausage into 3 or 4 inch pieces. Coat bottom of a frying pan with olive oil and fry sausage on medium heat until slightly browned. This takes about 10 minutes tops. After browning, add sausage to sauce.

As sauce is cooking, grease will migrate to the top of the cooking pot. Continually remove/spoon the grease from the sauce while cooking. Use one of the empty sauce cans for the grease. Stir sauce every hour or two to prevent burning to the bottom of pan.

Use thin spaghetti or angel hair – do not break into small pieces. About 2 lbs. will easily serve 8 people. Add a small amount of olive oil to water before boiling noodles.

We have found that letting people take a plate, gather their own noodles, and then take the amount of sauce and other ingredients as they see fit works best. For example, some people like meatballs but not sausage or some do not like mushrooms. They also can scoop the amount of sauce they personally like. Have Red Pepper flakes and Kraft Parmesan/Romano cheese on the table.

Serve with Texas Toast or Garlic Bread. Salad is optional but unnecessary in my opinion. Almost always serve with lit candles for proper ambiance. Red Wine is a requirement. Cold water works best as the drink of choice in addition to the wine.
Last edited by ClevelandDad
Can I come over to someone's house for dinner?

chicken, I need chicken recipes, something different..my son eats chicken and more chicken, he likes it grilled the best but it's boring.
This is a difficult household, husband eats no red meat and son eats it only once a week, chicken, fish, chicken, fish, that's what they want, the good pasta dishes are even frowned upon. Frown Very little from any can is tolerated here.
This is so easy that everyone probably knows it, but we take chicken breasts, marinate them in fresh rosemary, fresh garlic, olive oil, and a little salt and pepper, and then grill them or cook them in a grill pan. One thing you can do to make things different is take some sourdough bread (or your favorite kind of bread) and make croutons, coating them with rosemary, garlic and olive oil, then serve the chicken and croutons warm over chilled romaine lettuce with some homemade Caesar dressing. Yum, yum, yum.

Also, 2B and I made this Chicken Parmesan recipe the other day and it was fantastic.

We also made this one, and it was out of this world: Seasonal fish of the day with crabmeat, pecans, citrus, spinach, and brown butter
quote:
Originally posted by redsox8191:
So when is the road trip to go watch Cleveland Dad's son play and try his sauce (gravy is for beef Big Grin) and meatballs!!

You are welcome anytime redsox8191 Smile

When we visited South Carolina this fall, we brought all the cooking utensils and made sauce for my son and many of his teammates. They loved it. I made a double batch and they froze the rest in plastic bags.
This is a big fav in our house, mussels with marinara.

Use fresh mussels only, not frozen. As far as the sauce or "gravy" you all can make your own or use from jar and fix it up, however the secret is to cook the mussels right in the heated sauce, make sure you clean thoroughly, discard any that do not open. Throw in gobs of minced garlic for that special flavor. Add wine if you wish.
If mussels don't float your boat, try fresh clams.

Here is one for my friends up north that need warm soup on a cold day. Smile
Lentil Barley serves 6-8
1 cup lentils
1/2 cup pearled or hulled barley
6 cups water or beef stock, broth or as in our case vegetable broth. I do half and half, 3c water, 3c broth.
1 onion chopped
2 whole carrots sliced
2 stalks celery (I usually do more veggies or
if you want anything else left over in fridge).
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp ground cummin
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
salt to taste only
I use the instant barley and throw it in last few minutes of cooking.

Throw it all in a pot, boil and bring down to simmer for one hour until lentils are tender.

Now here's the trick, you can add left over chicken, beef, pork or hot dogs, saugage, etc. Today I threw in the turkey dogs.
With a salad becomes a whole meal.
For desert we will have Kraks Kobbler. Smile
Last edited by TPM
quote:
Originally posted by play baseball:

Who's got a great recipe for kim-chee?

Cucumber Kim Chee recipe from a well known Korean Restaurant on the island.This is ONO!!

4# cucumber
2 tsblespoon salt
1 teaspoon fish sauce
1 teaspoon juice from salted baby shrimp(sold in bottles at asian makets)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon chili pepper powder or ground fresh chili pepper.

Cut cucumbers is quarters lengthwise and cut into 1 1/2" lengths.Mix with salt and let sit for 30 minutes.Rinse and drain.Combine with remaining ingredients,mixing by hand.May be served immediately.
theEH--thanks! I knew you'd come through for me!

I've never bought/cooked with/ eaten bottled shrimp before, only fresh and frozen, so I didn't know. I don't think I've ever even SEEN jars of baby shrimp, at least I've never looked for them at the store.

That video clip gave me lots of suggestions! I may have to try them all! You have a standing invitation to come to my house for dinner!
quote:
Originally posted by Krakatoa:
"Blueberry Addie" (named after my daughter).

Need:
*two cans blueberry pie filling (apple/peach also work well).
*one box white cake mix
*one stick of butter
*larger size rectangular glass baking dish.

Lube the baking dish with PAM or something. Spread the pie filling evenly over the bottom of the dish.

Put the cake mix into a bowl and keep 'cutting' the butter in until it all looks kind of chunky. Before the next step, eat a bunch of it while no one's looking.

Put the cake+butter mixture (or what's left of it) on top of the pie filling and spread evenly.

I don't have the recipe here at work, but I think it's something like bake 20 minutes at 350, or until the cake mix on top looks golden - and the filling may be bubbling thru here and there.

Serve warm if possible, and of course it's extra good with some ice cream on the side!

Easy, fast, and mighty tasty.

Krak,

I do basically the same thing except I'm a chocoholic. I make a graham cracker crust with chocolate cookies, put down two cans of cherries, then the chocolate cake mix.

Maybe that's why I weigh in at..... Let's just say big boned with a bit of fun.
quote:
Originally posted by play baseball:
Hey, thanks! It sounds good!
I have a question, though....what do you do with the salted baby shrimp?

Well I'd use the juice for the Kim Chee and probally use the shrimp for "Fried Rice".I kind of like EH's suggestion though.

Alot of dishes made here in Hawaii is a mixture of alot of different cultures.The bottled baby shrimp is found in the Aisin section of our grogery stores.I found another recipe for a Won Bok Kim Chee but can't vouch for how good that one is.It doesn't use the shrimp but does use fish sauce or Patis(Philipino).

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.