Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Probably closer to top 100 than top 5, based on Stalker readings I've seen. And none of the kids I'm talking about played in the LL World Series. Most youth pitchers who throw very hard aren't on teams that play in the LLWS, and 3/4 of the ones who do have unfavorable birthdates to play at 13. Finally the oldest possible age is about 13.25.

Anyway, BL14, what does 60 feet have to do with it? Radar guns pick up the ball speed soon after it leaves th pitcher's hand. Or are you perhaps mulitplying the recorded speed by 60.5/54?
I don't mean to sound rude or what not but doesn't it seem a bit fishy that anyone who knows anything about baseball and is 13 throwing over 80mph has to ask if that is a good velocity for his age? I mean really, if you are 13 and throwing low 80's, there should be no question at all if this is a good velocity! I have watched hundreds and hundreds of all-star and travel team pitchers at that age and specific size and no one that I have seen throws at that velocity. Now I am not saying you don't throw that hard, but I am saying that a person of your size and age throwing that hard should have some particular noteriety in your area. After all, if this is true, you should already know you throw harder than any kid around in your age group.
quote:
Originally posted by PGStaff:
We got Jeremy Hellickson at 85 mph as a small 13 year old. 92 as a 15 year old. Of course, he was perhaps the top young pitcher in the country back then and today he is one of the best young pitchers in professional baseball.

Indeed so, but Jeremy probably never had to ask if his veloecity at age 13 was good for his age. That is why I find this whole topic a little fishy. Either he doesn't really throw close to his acclaimed velocity or he does and is just trying to brag.
Ignore the radar gun. If someone has it near you run like they have the plague if they try to approach you. Focusing on the radar gun at ANY point in your career isn't very good.

Work on your mechanics. Make sure they are efficient and repeatable. Make sure your arm slot is comfortable and repeatable.

Learn to hit your spots. If you want the ball knee high on the outside corner then learn how to throw it there. Don't just groove stuff thinking you will overpower everybody.

Develop a second and possibly third pitch to play off your fastball.

Learn to be a pitcher and not just a thrower. Nobody is going to draft a 13 year old who throws hard but they will draft an 18 year old who knows how to pitch that can flat out bring it.

I still have my doubts you can throw that hard but if you can more power to you. It's not enough - learn to pitch.
quote:
Originally posted by coach2709:
Ignore the radar gun. If someone has it near you run like they have the plague if they try to approach you. Focusing on the radar gun at ANY point in your career isn't very good.

You lost me there. How does a measurement effect a pitcher one way or another? Should we not know how fast he runs, or what his bat speed is? Are ERAs bad?

Wouldn't your advice that follows apply to all pitchers regardless of speed?

Radar guns need love too. Big Grin
Last edited by SultanofSwat
quote:
Originally posted by SultanofSwat:
quote:
Originally posted by coach2709:

You lost me there. How does a measurement effect a pitcher one way or another? Should we not know how fast he runs, or what his bat speed is? Are ERAs bad?

Wouldn't your advice that follows apply to all pitchers regardless of speed?

Radar guns need love too. Big Grin

I'll admit I went to the extreme here but I'm basing it on talking to a 13 year old. When you're 13 you don't need the radar gun because I've seen many kids with strong arms never materialize due to being fixated on throwing hard. They never learn how to pitch because of the attention to the fastball. When you become a 16 - 18 year old then yes the radar gun does become a valuable tool in development but at 13 - not a chance.

This also ties into my last comment of nobody has ever drafted a 13 year old who throws hard. But they will draft an 18 year old who knows how to pitch that can bring it.

To be successful you need to have velocity but it can't come at the expense of learning how to pitch. This is a 13 year old kid (I'm assuming) and he can already throw very hard (taking his word for it) but he needs to do the things that will make him a better pitcher and not a harder thrower.
Last edited by coach2709
Guys, remember that we are talking to a 13 year old. He obviously doesn't understand the sarcasm that a 16 year old probably can pick up on.

Yes, 80 plus mph is above average. We have an 8th grader on our team that was clocked at 78mph and all of us oohed and ahhed over him.

But....

My youngest son throws about 10mph slower than him and had a better ERA, walk to strikeout ratio, gave up fewer hits and better number of runs overall. He also threw about half the number pitches per inning. My son is also almost a year younger than the fireballer.

Why? My son would give up less than three walks per game every time he pitched. He also was a master of both locating his fastball and threw a very good changeup. The other kid would certainly throw harder and was quite capable of striking out the side but he also had control issues. My son wouldn't come close to this boy as far as velocity went but he kept the ball down, threw strikes and mixed up his pitches well. With our infield he knew and understood that if he got a ball on the ground more than likely it would be an out.

My point is this. Velocity is great and important but it isn't the end all/be all of pitching. Like any other craft it has to be worked on and perfected and brute strength alone won't do it. If you can throw 82mph and hit spots then you will be very successful. If you throw 82, are flat and are innacurate then you will find yourself less successful than you want.

Hope that is a better explanation. I've seen more than a few kids that can throw hard but not as many that can control that rocket arm at 13-14 years of age.
Last edited by Wklink
I don't have any problem believing that bl14 can throw the ball in the low 80's at 13yo. Our travel team has three thirteen year old kids that throw between 75 & 80. Our guys are usually faster than other pitchers that we face, but we do see a few who throw faster than our upper 70's guys. I would guess that there are 5-8 kids in Georgia who can regularly top 80 mph.

As someone mentioned earlier, you obviously have the arm. Now is the time to make sure you become a pitcher and not just a thrower. Make sure you're working with a coach who knows what he's doing. Proper mechanics can cut down on serious arm injuries while they help you throw with even more speed and control.

You have a gift. Take good care of it and it will keep on giving.

Blow that arm out now, and you're just Some Guy in GA.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.