Skip to main content

Comment on "parent meddling"

I think most reasonable coaches are open to calm, honest discussions with reasonable parents where everyone repects each others role in raising and supporting these exceptional young men, and the conversations are had at the appropriate time and setting.

I think if the parent respects the coaches role in determining team roles, playing time, mode of teaching, etc., and the coach respects the parents roles in raising and protecting the health and well-being of the kid ... then it's possible to have a positive, productive discussion where the coach and parents are working together from the same page.

You run into trouble when a coach dismisses or disrespects the parent's role with their child, when the parents disrespect the coach's role by crossing the line onto the field, or when either party just aren't "reasonable people".

Bottom line is that parents of HS players should work to have an open, positive relationship with their son's coach, but know exactly where the limits are on both sides as both parties respect those limits.
Stepping up and calling it what it is, is not parent maddling. Any coach that leaves a kid in to throw 156 pitches deserves to hear it from not only the parents of the kid that is pitching but from anyone else. As a coach it is also part of your job to take care of the kids. Look the bottom line is you play to win. But you have to care more about the safety of the kids and the well being of the kids than winning a game. We faced a kid the other night in a conference game. We did not have to have the game because we are 11-0 in conf and way ahead. The team playing us is in a dogfight for the #2 or #3 seed. They put a left handed soph on the hill and in the 6th and tight game he has thrown 144 pitches. He is all over the place and walking alot of guys and 3-2 on everyone. They make some nice plays in the field behind him with 2 and 3 on all night. So the game is close even though the kid has walked a ton and thrown alot of pitches. When we come in for the bottom of the 7th down 9-7 we notice that the catcher is now pitching after catching 6 innings and the game is now 3 hours long. He walks the bases loaded and then we get a ground ball that should have been turned but they make a wild throw to first. They eventually walk in the winning run and we win 10-9. After the game the father of the kid that threw 144 pitches comes over to me and says "Congratulations coach I hope you guys do real well in the playoffs. By the way I hated to do it but I went over to the coach and told him my son had thrown 144 pitches and he needed to think about taking him out". I told the dad that his son should have been taken out in the fourth when he hit 90 pitches. And I told him he needed to stand up for his kids well being if the coach was not going to do his job and do it himself. JMO
Pbone

That's an excellent post.

Coach May, very, very nice post too and good luck in the playoffs. It's no accident good coaches have plenty of good pitching.

It saddens me when a parent will take the path of least resistance, let the kid go 130+ pitches, short rest and the like, then just hope for the best or not know the difference.
Last night, my son threw a complete game for the District Championsip win in 5A Florida. greenjump
He threw 102 pitches with 71 of them being strikes.

Most of the interview from the reporters was focused on his new "sidearm delivery", a delivery that was so effective this past summer. He had not used it his entire junior season.... until last night.
He is not sore at all this morning..and struck out 12 batters mostly on a sidearm breaking ball. I guess it all depends on the individual situation.
quote:
I think you are walking on thin ice when you make suggestions to a parent of a kid on another team what his coach should have done. with all due respect what you think really does not matter.

Oh my God. A coach has broken the coaches code of backing up a coach, no matter who, what, when or where.

Will, I'll agree it is unusual. Too bad Coach May isn't allowed an opinion.
Last edited by Dad04
Will I understand what you are saying and you are right about what you are saying. It really is none of my business how a coach runs his team. The dad who I know walked over to me and I just spoke my mind. This same kid pitched on a Monday 7 innings over 120 pitches and then on Weds over 130 pitches both wins I might add. His team had to forfeit the win on Weds because the kid pitched over 12 innings in 72 hours in violation of NCHSSAA rules. None of my business you are right. I made a statement hoping that I in some way could protect this kid from injury. It is thin ice no doubt. But I made the decision based on my feelings at the time. How do you look a dad in the face and respond when he comes up to you and tells you something like this? Especially one that really doesnt know alot about the whole deal and is scared to really express his views. What if I just blew him off and walked away and then the kid blows out his arm? I guess its none of my business but I just had to say what I said. I really dont care what other coaches say about me or to my parents. I dont have anything to hide or be ashamed of. If I pulled this kind of **** I would have no one else to blame but me. JMO
Thursday, May 5, 2005

Choctaw ousts Mosley

By Jason Shoot

News Herald Writer 747-5069 / jshoot@pcnh.com

SPRINGFIELD

Choctawhatchee’s Josh Materne had pitched two complete games against Mosley’s heralded baseball team this season, yet he had no wins to show for it.

His fortunes changed for the better on Wednesday night.

Materne fired 136 pitches over nine innings, and Choctaw came back from a late deficit to end Mosley’s season with a 4-2 victory in a District 1-5A tournament semifinal at the Shamplain Sports Complex.

The Indians (14-7) are scheduled to play Niceville-Fort Walton Beach in the district championship tonight at 7 p.m. Mosley’s season ended at 19-7.

Choctaw outlasted Mosley starter Jaye Chapman, who threw 145 pitches through eight innings before Dolphin coach Jed Douglas pulled him before the start of the ninth. The Indians then went to work against reliever Cody Johnson.

Shameful.

"I wanted to take him out after the seventh, but he wanted the ball," Choctaw coach Steven Gall said of Materne. "He’s been our ace all year, and I wouldn’t take the ball away from him."

The coach wanted to take the kid out, but the kid would not come out of the game. Not the coaches fault I guess?

http://66.21.108.67/interconnect/browser/intercon.dll
Last edited by Dad04

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.