Skip to main content

im gonna be 20 soon and starting college this fall at St Thomas Aquinas College D2. i lived in the Dominican Republic and practiced for 2 and a half years. hence the reason I'm beginning college ball this fall. I'm a lefty pitcher 6'4 220lbs and can hit 87-88 consistently nasty change at about 80 mph and a good curveball at about 76mph. do you guys think i have a legitimate chance of getting drafted as long as i throw 90-91 by the time I'm 22 ???

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

What has the coach at St. Thomas Aquanis told you specifically about your opportunity there? Did he give you a portion of an athletic scholarship?

Are you talking about the D2 ST Thomas Aquanis in New Hampshire? If so, why did you choose to play baseball at a cold weather school?

Last edited by RJM

Keep improving your velocity and try to be one of the top pitchers in your league. Get help in getting the word out to scouts. If you have pro-stuff, they will definitely take a look at you - especially a lefty with good stuff.

Important thing is that you improve because an 18 year old freshman lefty with the same stuff will be looked at much closer in terms of projectability than a freshman going on 21. 

Good luck - you never know how much further your hard work will take you.

josten beato posted:

He told me it doesn't have to be D1. Sometimes d1 isn't the best option. Just need to go to a school that offers me playing time. 

As a pitcher if you throw 90 plus and you can throw strikes you have a chance. I would suggest doing a program like driveline or wolforth that has a reputation of increasing velocity 

Dominik85 posted:
josten beato posted:

He told me it doesn't have to be D1. Sometimes d1 isn't the best option. Just need to go to a school that offers me playing time. 

As a pitcher if you throw 90 plus and you can throw strikes you have a chance. I would suggest doing a program like driveline or wolforth that has a reputation of increasing velocity 

Yeah. That's what I'm aiming for 90-91. Not too far from. Currently throwing 88. But thanks for the advice fam 

RJM posted:

90-91 is a good target for college. If you want to go pro you have to aim higher. Remember you're not going to be twenty-one in three years. You're going to need to be further along if you want to be a prospect.

I understand. But I'm a lefty. I don't necessarily have to throw as hard as righties. I did some research and saw a lot of lefties touching 90 and good change up and curve and are projected to be drafted in the 4th and 5th rounds. So I definitely want to aim a little higher as far as velocity is concerned but honestly I feel I do have a chance to go pro. As long as I work hard and believe in myself no one can stop me 

josten beato posted:
RJM posted:

90-91 is a good target for college. If you want to go pro you have to aim higher. Remember you're not going to be twenty-one in three years. You're going to need to be further along if you want to be a prospect.

I understand. But I'm a lefty. I don't necessarily have to throw as hard as righties. I did some research and saw a lot of lefties touching 90 and good change up and curve and are projected to be drafted in the 4th and 5th rounds. So I definitely want to aim a little higher as far as velocity is concerned but honestly I feel I do have a chance to go pro. As long as I work hard and believe in myself no one can stop me 

If you really want to get drafted you should be going to a JUCO because as RJM said you will be 23  in 3 years and your projection might be on a downhill curve at that time and where you think you should be drafted more than likely may not happen. Also, while you say it doesn't matter playing D2 vs D1 that is an untruth.   While you are at 87-88, no one can predict that you would be even at 90. You have to remember that the body slows down, and much is about your genes and training and projection.  Sons velo was pretty steady in college, as that is where the learning takes place, and his peak velocity came after 26-27 in pro ball as projected due to body type.  It takes a really long time to get to that point in velocity, for most.

I am convinced that you believe in yourself. However, I can tell you that it isnt as easy as so many think it will be.  Getting drafted in the first 10 rounds is a major accomplishment. To get the money they are willing to pay you at 23,24 you have to be pitching against the best college hitters in the country. That will be found in the top D1 programs in the country or playing on a summer team found on the better summer college leagues.

Again you came here looking for advice and you did in a very mature way and I am not trying to burst your bubble, but from a parent whose son attended a top 8 program in the country (at the time of his junior year) in the ACC, son had to face a lot of first rounders in power conferences and do well in the cape cod league as well to get where he got drafted and most of it was on projection, as well as his sinker (dp pitcher).  At 21.  That is very big criteria for college pitchers to be drafted high, righty or lefty. Just trying to make you understand how it is, and I can tell you with all the guys throwing harder these days its not going to get easier.

Josten Beato.

Based on your own description, you definitely have a good chance.  6'4 lefty with MLB average fastball and two other quality pitches will get you drafted or signed. Work on mastering all your pitches.  Lefties with one plus MLB out pitch that they can command often have long careers.

Try to get into a summer college league.

Best of luck

TPM posted:
josten beato posted:
RJM posted:

If you really want to get drafted you should be going to a JUCO because as RJM said you will be 23  in 3 years and your projection might be on a downhill curve at that time and where you think you should be drafted more than likely may not happen. Also, while you say it doesn't matter playing D2 vs D1 that is an untruth.   While you are at 87-88, no one can predict that you would be even at 90. You have to remember that the body slows down, and much is about your genes and training and projection.  Sons velo was pretty steady in college, as that is where the learning takes place, and his peak velocity came after 26-27 in pro ball as projected due to body type.  It takes a really long time to get to that point in velocity, for most.

I am convinced that you believe in yourself. However, I can tell you that it isnt as easy as so many think it will be.  Getting drafted in the first 10 rounds is a major accomplishment. To get the money they are willing to pay you at 23,24 you have to be pitching against the best college hitters in the country. That will be found in the top D1 programs in the country or playing on a summer team found on the better summer college leagues.

Again you came here looking for advice and you did in a very mature way and I am not trying to burst your bubble, but from a parent whose son attended a top 8 program in the country (at the time of his junior year) in the ACC, son had to face a lot of first rounders in power conferences and do well in the cape cod league as well to get where he got drafted and most of it was on projection, as well as his sinker (dp pitcher).  At 21.  That is very big criteria for college pitchers to be drafted high, righty or lefty. Just trying to make you understand how it is, and I can tell you with all the guys throwing harder these days its not going to get easier.

I understand all this  and I appreciate you taking your time to tell me all this. I didn't necessarily mean to get drafted in the top 10 rounds I was hair giving some examples. I just want to get drafted. Also let me tell you this. I gained 6 miles on my fastball in a span of 2 months working hard down the Dominican Republic so I know what I have to do in order to gain velocity. In regards to my cousin Pedro Beato who currently is in triple A I speak to him often.. I'm well aware that it isn't easy but with hard work you can get far. Him being my cousin he tells me all the time that he Is willing to help me anyway he can.  I actually was close to getting signed as a free agent in the DR but my age didn't really help me considering the fact that I've 18 is considered old. But I know it won't be easy but I'm willing to go for it and try to accomplish my dream 

PGStaff posted:

Josten Beato.

Based on your own description, you definitely have a good chance.  6'4 lefty with MLB average fastball and two other quality pitches will get you drafted or signed. Work on mastering all your pitches.  Lefties with one plus MLB out pitch that they can command often have long careers.

Try to get into a summer college league.

Best of luck

Yeah. The description I gave is an honest one. I was close to getting signed as a free agent in the Dominican Republic so I really think I have a good chance. But anyways thank you so much. 

TPM posted:

I agree with PG, that is why I feel he should go to JUCO and not wait until he is 23 from a D2, if what round you might be drafted in, is that important.

I am talking a high profile JUCO. 

No actually the round doesn't matter to me. Getting drafts is a dream of mine whether it's the 1st or the 40th. And I am considering JuCo but I also want to major in Computer Sciences just in case I don't make it in baseball. But I will consider a JuCo. Thanks for the advice 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.