.. Kevin Collins Quince Orchard 06 ☺
.. Joe Mattes Quince Orchard 05 ☺
.. Mile Celenza Quince Orchard 06 ☺
.. Rich Porohnavi Northeast (AA) 06 ☺
.. Andrew Ferris Severna Park 05 ☺
.. Scott Swinson Centennial 06 ☺
☺☺ Aerik Taylor Williamsport 05

☺☺ = Pre-Season 2005 All-State

☺ = Bear Classic Tourney, Showcase for Our National Pastime.

Regards
Bear
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Bear,

It has been a while since I was involved in the MSABC. Is this list still produced from high school coaches recommendations? Even though I don't coach summer ball anymore, in my duties as an Astros associate I keep up on the talent in MD. Some of the names seem to be a little curious, but then again, I don't see them all that often. I have been getting calls lately from players who said that the summer programs they were being recruited by had promised them that as a bonus to signing on with them, would use their influence with the local high school coaches (some of them involved in the summer programs I'm referencing) to get the players on this list.
It's a shame that some VERY worthy players didn't make that first list - primarily because their coaches are too freakin clueless, lazy, incompetent, or self centered to go to the trouble of nominating them. It's just a shame that these wonderful young men who work so hard don't get to enjoy the recognition that they so richly deserve.

The existing list does, however, contain some outstanding players and I tip my cap and congratulate them and their families on their recognition.
If it wasn't for one of my asst. coaches last year, a few of us would have never been invited or nominated for much of anything.
I was told that two high school coaches and some scout nominated me but I still have not heard anything. I know there are allot more players that should be on this list from Maryland, allot more.

Maybe if we keep bringing it up on this site more coaches will see that players do want to be recognized once in awhile.
About 45 kids on Bear's first list. Then a couple of posts with additional names. How many kids should make a pre-season All-State team? I think 20 would make a good number. I'm sure all of the kids mentioned on these posts are really good.

In the past, this list was put together directly after the MSABC coaches clinic. Coaches who attend can fill out a form to submit players for this team. I wouldn't blame lazy or clueless coaches for player omissions. The MSABC can be very political, and it may be a simple fact that the coach didn't know about the clinic.

Pre-season, post-season honors are nice...but win ballgames and have a good season. That is what is most important!!!
Not sure what all the hullabullbo is all about.

The MSABC is not affilliated, directly, with county's athletic directors. [Thus, as a heads up, I am not sure the message from All-Star20, of Laurel, email would be received well.] In many counties, the AD is unable to coach, and more so in the private than public (although there are a few exceptions i.e. Arundel , where AD's are allowed to coach a sport.)

I predict the process for the 2006 MSABC Pre-Season All-State Baseball Team is identical to what's happened in year's past. Thus to be nominated, complete this form, and submit:

Nominees
For the eleventh year, the MSABC will select a preseason all-state baseball team. You are invited to have input into these selections to ensure that all eligible players in the state have an equal chance of being selected. The final 20 players selected will be honored at the Leadoff Banquet held at Camden Yards in February, and their names will be released at that time.

The two criteria that have been established for the selections are:

1. The player must have played on his school’s varsity team in 2005

2. He must have been honored at the conclusion of the 2005 season as an all-county, all-league, regional all star, or all-metro team player.

(Exceptions to criteria #2 can be made for outstanding players)

To nominate any of your players or someone from another school please complete the following form and send it to:

tbs ksk@aacps.org

All nominations must be submitted by December 10, 2005

After compiling the list of nominees, Selection of the team will take place at the selection meeting Thursday December 15, 2005 at Mount Saint Joseph at 6:30 pm. If you can’t attend the meeting please forward your 20 selections. A list of nominees will appear on the www.mdsabc.org. by Tuesday December 13, 2005.

-------------------------

Pre-Season All-Star MSABC Nomination Form:
Players name: ________________________________
School: _________________________
Grade in Spring 2005 _________________________
Primary Position: _________________
Players Phone Number: ________________________
E-Mail: _________________________

Year AB H 2B 3B HR R RBI BB K SB AVG IP H K BB ERA W L S

Previous Honors won in High School: ___________________________________________

Nominating Coach: ____________________________
School: _________________
Coaches Phone Number(s): _____________________
Coaches E-Mail: ______________________________

--------------------------------------------
However, the process for the MSABC Classic is something different than the MSABC Pre-Season All-Star Team. And as a heads up, the 2006 MSABC All-Star game is scheduled for Sunday May 28, and is planned to be held at the University of Maryland on Shipley Field. For 2005, the four MSABC Regionals and MSABC Classic All-Star Game is planned for May 22 & May 29 respectively
and the locations will be selected at Jan 2005 MSABC Meeting.

Regards
Bear

ps.
OBTW: AS20 & SJPH: In your opinion, what nominees were missed?
May I ask a question without intruding here--- why have a Pre - Season All Star Team at the HS level if it causes all this fuss--there are kids coming into programs who at seasons end will be well known but are not at the preseason time--why not wait until then or simply list by school the top 5 players on each roster where a coach or whomever can project younger players as well as those already established
larry,

Bear's list contains nominees...not the final selections. I believe the final list is twenty, but it hasn't been made public yet. There is a banquet at the end of February so we'll know by then if not before.

Everyone agrees that being on the list will not help you play college or pro ball, but it's still nice for the ones recognized to add it to their resume.

There always has been unequal participation, but how do you get the coaches who do not nominate or attend the selection meeting to start participating?
Cru...thanks for the clarification. As I said before, it has been quite a while since I was involved in the MSABC. I had forgotten about the nomination/selection process.

I agree with your assessment with regards to the benefits being nominated may afford a young man in the baseball resume process.

I guess I would like the following approach. A coach of a high school team being able to nominate his players, as well as players from other teams. I grew a little disenchanted with the MSABC because I really felt like the leadership (10 years ago mind you), did not reach out to the high school baseball community in a way that made the organization feel like it was for everyone. They would gladly take $$$ from coaches to attend clinics, etc..., but when it came down to choosing coaches for the CROWN game or TEAM MD, it seemed it was the same cast of characters each year.

Bear and I have had our go arounds in the past, but one thing is for sure. The man sees lots of players, and knows how to spot talent. My comments were not intended to be derogatory toward him. On the contrary, he is someone I would listen to with regards to who belongs on this list, and who doesn't.

End of rant.
Calm down Pudge!

If you read the previous posts, you'll see that, for this award, the nominations mostly come from the player's high school coach. I'm not a member so I don't know how the voting goes, but it would seem the first step would be to talk to your coach to find out why players aren't nominated.

I see players from Catoctin, TJ and Urbana nominated. The coaches at Tuscarora and SJPH may be too new and Linganore doesn't even have a coach that I know of yet. I don't know about Brunswick, Frederick, Middletown or Walkersville. If you go to one of the latter schools, maybe you could suggest that your coach talk to the coaches at CHS, TJHS or UHS...just a suggestion.
Not withstanding, Pudge is of the younger of players who has yet to understand
and see and judge the tools and talent of baseball players, and especially catchers.

It was not long ago, in April 04, where Pudge travelled to Frederick to watch a few college baseball games.

I recall his statement and opinion on the games as if it was yesterday:
" Ive seen them play, i wasnt impressed at all. They would be a decent D2 or D3 team, but i dont really think they have the D1 Talent."

And of course Pudge had the opportunity to
observe one of the best catchers in the state
last year. My predicts say this same catcher will be drafted this year, and maybe early.
Better yet this college catcher has the
tools to catch in the big leagues within 3 years!

One would hope and encourage Pudge to seek the glass half full scenario, and soon. So how about it Pudge, are you busting your butt in both the classroom, and on the baseball field?
Remember: You never know who is watching!

Good luck to you, as you complete yor HS Baseball career,

regards
Bear
Bear, I received a few responses from the email I sent. Most said they would "recommend membership to the MSABC to our baseball coach" and a couple said thank you for the info and I will pass it on.

I know two 06's who are planning to attend your August event. I wish I had heard about this combine last year. It sounds like a great opportunity for players to showcase their tools.

Pudge7

From one player to another, I know it can be frustrating at times when your talents are missed. As a 05 who was not recognized during the first signing period, I was upset. To me that is more important. I blamed myself and looked for ways to improve my skills and contacting methods. I read hundreds of posts on this site and even talked with a couple (Thanks Trhit). Since then, I have gone from one dilemma to another. Now, I have too many choices. They are not my first picks but most of them have great clubs. I have even been working out with a college team. My main goal is to play in college. It’s great to be on the MSABC nomination list next to some of Maryland’s top players and it would be really nice to make the top 20, but my goal is to play college ball.

If you would like, email me and I will tell you what I have done and maybe it will work for you.
Last edited by Allstar20
well i go to TJ, but unlike mike i am unable to go to all those showcases due to finacial reasons. and what does pudge seeing college games have to do with the catchers around here in highschool? Im not claiming that i should be nominated, but ive seen alot of ball players that have been in the same situation that i am that are alot better than me not get any recognition, cause they cant afford to travel around to showcase after showcase. Im not downing anyone , all the guys on there are great ball players, but i just dont see how it can be judged by highschool performances alone.
As a varsity assistant at St. John's, I am definitely sad that we didn't get to nominate any of our players for this honor. Since Coach Seibert left, a lot of things have fallen through the cracks until they hired a new coach. I'm sure a lot of these things ended up on the AD's desk and died there - and that's understandable.

I would have liked to nominate Jim Duggan who is a senior at St. John's this year. Jim is a very fine young man who excels in the classroom and on the diamond. He has unbelievable SAT scores and I believe he's carried a 4.0 average all the way through school. He's also never missed a day of school in his life. He is our team leader this year in so many ways. The 6'7" right hander has an excellent fastball, nice array of breaking pitches and was recognized at one of the showcase events this summer for his offensive abilities. The article on his showcase recognition is posted on the MIAA website and ours as well. Given Coach Seibert's past preference of not promoting players, I think that a lot of our kids have been "best kept secrets" over the past years - and that's a shame. We had an excellent senior class last year. We also have some very talented underclassmen in the pipeline. We just don't have enough of them - yet. But that's going to change.

There are two seniors at Walkersville who I also believe should have been recognized. Tyler Redick is an outstanding centerfielder. He's as impressive off the field as he is on it. He's a true gentleman. He possesses excellent speed, a great glove and a fine left handed bat. He's definitely a base stealing threat, and he has a magnificent head for the game. You're going to have to look for a long time to find a player with a better work ethic as well.

Another fine young man is Chris Hannigan. Chris is a left-handed pitcher and first baseman. Chris is 6'7" and can REALLY bring it. Like Tyler, he's just a very quiet, unassuming gentleman. Under the quiet exterior resides a bitter competitor who plays to win. Both of these players are a coaches dream. I know because I coached them in JV ball when I was at Walkersville. They're both like sons to me.

I'm disappointed that these young men may not have been nominated as I believe they're both truly deserving.

I also know who Pudge7 is and I can tell you that he's definitely a fine ball player and a fine young man. I'm sure his coach would readily agree with me.

It's too late for these young men to be officially recognized, but they're all-state in my book every day of the year.
Here's the final list from the MSABC web site:

BRAD BRAINER KENT ISLAND
JACOB BROWN NORTH HARFORD
ALEX BUCHHOLZ OLD MILL
PAUL BURCH LEONARDTOWN
DAVE CALDWELL LOYOLA
MICHAEL CHOLET THOMAS JOHNSON
JEFF DULANEY GLENELG
GEORGE EMSURAK KENT ISLAND
BRANDON ERBE MCDONOGH
GARY HELMICK NORTHEAST
AUSTIN HURD GAITHERSBURG
BRYAN HOBBS NORTH CAROLINE
BRYAN HOFFMAN BROADNECK
STEVEN JOHNSON SAINT PAULS
MARCUS JONES LANDON
IAN MARSHALL GAITHERSBURG
BRAD MILLER MOUNT SAINT JOSEPH
KEN MISAL SOUTHERN (AA)
MIKE MOSS WALTER JOHNSON
COREY OVERHOLTZER ARUNDEL
JORDAN PALMER STEPHEN DECATUR
JENSEN PUPA NORTHWEST
MATT RIDENOUR NORTH HAGERSTOWN
RUBEN RODRIGUEZ JAMES M BENNETT
DAN SCHILLENBERG CENTENNIAL
JAKE SHIBILSKY CHESAPEAKE
BRADY STOUFFER NORTHWEST
AERIK TAYLOR WILLIAMSPORT
KYLE TIMME MOUNT SAINT JOSEPH
DAVID WARRENFELTZ WILLIAMSPORT
Although I feel that many of the players on this list were well deserving, I hope that all of the HS guys out there understand that this list means absolutely nothing in regards to talent.

This list is comprised heavily on players whose coaches are heavily affilated with the MSABC, and also players who have astounding stats. Let me give a prime example of why this is true:

Daryl Thompson (someone I had a provledge of coaching), who was a 2003 grad from LaPlata HS was just recently named the 7th best prospect in the Nationals Organization at the age of 19. He had without doubt the most talent out of any player in the region at the time. He recieved nothing better than All-County first team throughout his HS career, and never made a player of the year, or anything of the sort. He was however a 2003 All-Met after putting up ridiculous numbers his senior year. Thats the only serious accolade he recieved his whole life. But the point I'm trying to make is that he was never accoladed even though he had more talent than everyone he played. He wasn't bombarded by awards and titles and Newspaper picks. He kept below the social radar and it didn't hurt him. Honestly, a college or pro recuiter could care less if you were All-State, All-World or whatever. It matters how you can play the game and not what your stats or newspapers think.

I'd hate to say it but we live in a time where we believe everything we hear instead of seeing for ourselves.

In regards to this year's selections, If we were to take our supposed "All State" team to a tournament and play other "All State" teams, I am 95% sure we would be embarassed. The MSABC has lost its touch and has been engulfed by politics just like every good thing out there.

To Pudge especially, continue to work hard and don't let the small stuff keep you down. Awards mean nothing, its how you play the game.
Mr. Hodges,
I agree with the point you make, players are missed each year. I think guys like Ryan Smith should be on the list, and I agree with you, when it is all said and done it will not matter that Ryan was accidently left off. I also agree Daryl Thompson is and was a very good player missed.

On the other hand I think you are incorrect in demeaning those who made it. I do not claim to have seen all the kids play, but I am very impressed with several kids on the list.

I disagree with your statement,"If we were to take our supposed "All State" team to a tournament and play other "All State" teams, I am 95% sure we would be embarassed." There are definately some top quality, nationally recognized players selected.

Al McCormick
www.mostvaluableplayer.biz
quote:
Originally posted by CrusaderDad:
Here's the final list from the MSABC web site:

BRAD BRAINER KENT ISLAND
JACOB BROWN NORTH HARFORD
ALEX BUCHHOLZ OLD MILL
PAUL BURCH LEONARDTOWN
DAVE CALDWELL LOYOLA
MICHAEL CHOLET THOMAS JOHNSON
JEFF DULANEY GLENELG
GEORGE EMSURAK KENT ISLAND
BRANDON ERBE MCDONOGH
GARY HELMICK NORTHEAST
AUSTIN HURD GAITHERSBURG
BRYAN HOBBS NORTH CAROLINE
BRYAN HOFFMAN BROADNECK
STEVEN JOHNSON SAINT PAULS
MARCUS JONES LANDON
IAN MARSHALL GAITHERSBURG
BRAD MILLER MOUNT SAINT JOSEPH
KEN MISAL SOUTHERN (AA)
MIKE MOSS WALTER JOHNSON
COREY OVERHOLTZER ARUNDEL
JORDAN PALMER STEPHEN DECATUR
JENSEN PUPA NORTHWEST
MATT RIDENOUR NORTH HAGERSTOWN
RUBEN RODRIGUEZ JAMES M BENNETT
DAN SCHILLENBERG CENTENNIAL
JAKE SHIBILSKY CHESAPEAKE
BRADY STOUFFER NORTHWEST
AERIK TAYLOR WILLIAMSPORT
KYLE TIMME MOUNT SAINT JOSEPH
DAVID WARRENFELTZ WILLIAMSPORT
I agree with you...I agree with allot of the feedback from the list. My kid's a catcher and plays a hell of a right field. He never gets a break. He was on the list of nominees but hey, I guess that's something. It's funny how these things work. I wouldn't worry about it.
If your arms strong and you can hit, state or no state, you will get noticed and the word will get to the scouts...Red Face)

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.