Skip to main content

Based on Tx-Husker's comments in another thread that the high school season is starting on Tuesday in Texas, it is time to open this thread as well!

Tell us about anything that comes to mind with respect to high school baseball. Your son's accomplishments, his teammates success, your excitement about things, recruiting news, or first-hand accounts if you are a player. You can post here if things went well or let us know when there were struggles. Either way, post often and all season long!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Two more winter ball games before the beginning of the season in late February for my son's team. Hopefully I'm a little more relaxed in his second varsity season compared to last year! I'm excited to see what he and his teammates can do in league this year, and I pray that he stays away from the injury bug!
Baseball is not on too many minds up here in snowy Montana. High school basketball will run it's course until the 1st week in March. A nice warm gym is the place to be this time of year in MT.

Sign-ups for American Legion baseball (there is no high school baseball in MT) are 2/21 with tryouts around March 20 (weather permitting). Practices will start immediately (weather permitting) and the 1st game is scheduled for the 1st week in April (weather permitting). It's almost certain to be what I call "cold baseball" until early to mid-May.

Sure do envy you warm weather folks.
Son's team (Laurel Dodgers) won the Montana A Legion championship and lost 6-5 to Washington in the championship of the Northwest Class A Regional Tournament.

Six or seven heavy lifters are gone from that team so it will be a rebuilding year. But a solid core returns and there appears to be some good talent among the newcomers.

Besides, in baseball every team is a contender during spring training, right?
As previously stated, here in AZ we start tryouts on the 8th, teams announced on the 10th, fund raising starts on the 13th, first scimmage on the 19th, first official games on the 24th and 25th.

All the hype, worrying, speculation, etc is about to end. We're entering the second guessing the line-up, game time decisions, umpire's calls, pitch choices, substitutes, should he move up, pitching changes and bunt\no bunt second guess phase of our season.

As a score keeper, I welcome your assistance in determining hits and errors, especially as they relate to your child. For the record, I'm the good looking mom with the score book and not the ugly guy with the palm pilot... :-)
JMoff ... " a hit is a hit and an error is an error, no matter whose kid it is." I'm partial to moms who prefer to keep score than getting drawn into the "gossip circle" with the other moms. I taught my wife to score for me and even keep the Turbo-stat data base for our Travel teams. Now, as we attend our son's games, I can't get the darn book from her and to tell the truth, she's better at it than I am!

I'm sure you are very good at it but I am surprised that any H.S. Varsity team would allow a Parent to serve as the official scorekeeper?

Have a great year and I am staying away from the "ugly palm-pilot guy."
I was on another site earlier and it was suggested that parents should not be allowed at any practice because it puts pressure on the kids and caused second hand coaching . My belief is that any kid who gets nervous or feels pressure at this level at practice should try something new . I also believe that those parents have serious issues . What do you think ? I only attend intersquad and 1 or 2 practices and let the coaches do their job but I believe parents should be allowed to attend if they so desire .
Times ticking, but ticking in the right direction. Here in central west florida we have been going at it since Jan 18 and the teams are already picked and working hard on all aspects of the game.Good luck to everyone and i hope everybody has a safe injury free season. Good luck to your son and his team this year Mr. Dorminy they look as strong as they did last year and i know they are looking to repeat, so good luck with that. Hope he enjoys his season as all the recuiting for him is done with no pressures to perform but to enjoy it as a senior.
Tom,

Our Coach addresses this at the Parent Team meeting that occurs annuallyafter tryouts. He has no problem with Parents looking in at practice but any thing that would interefere is not condoned. As is the requirement during games, no parent to player contact is allowed.

However, the "unwritten" rule and the preference of the players, is that parents don't need to be there for practices. Parents are no longer involved in the "process" at this level so it's time to "turn loose" and let the player/Coaches dynamics occur as they will at all levels from here on out. Viewing the one scheduled "practice" game allowed annually, is encouraged! During the year, a dad/mom occassionally may catch 10-15mins of a practice while on Campus, and that's ok!
Prime9 , thanks for feedback . I agree that parents should be seen and not heard We let our coach , coach and the kids play .I gave up anything but advice after practice when Jr.made varsity , I still
work with the pitchers, but only when asked . Panthers2001 , thanks for the kudos , and good luck to your kids on the upcoming season . As Ernie Banks would say , let's play 2 !!!
quote:
Originally posted by Prime9:
Tom,

Our Coach addresses this at the Parent Team meeting that occurs annuallyafter tryouts. He has no problem with Parents looking in at practice but any thing that would interefere is not condoned. As is the requirement during games, no parent to player contact is allowed.

However, the "unwritten" rule and the preference of the players, is that parents don't need to be there for practices. Parents are no longer involved in the "process" at this level so it's time to "turn loose" and let the player/Coaches dynamics occur as they will at all levels from here on out. Viewing the one scheduled "practice" game allowed annually, is encouraged! During the year, a dad/mom occassionally may catch 10-15mins of a practice while on Campus, and that's ok!

As much as I would like to watch I stay away. My son is a freshman with a chance to play varsity. He told me the players laugh at the dads that come to watch - that reinforced what is mentioned above. It's time to let em go.
Last year, Our first year coach conducted a one on one parent/player meeting with the whole coaching staff which I think was very helpful on what are the expectations from the player/parent during the season. Looking back as a parent of a freshman who made varsity, I wished we were more prepared in asking more questions and getting more feedback. Our feeling was " We were just glad to be there." We are looking forward to this meeting again after the try-outs are done granted he makes the team again. We also plan on providing and getting more feedback.

What are your experiences regarding varsity players being brought down to JV the year after? I know it is not common but has happened so I always tell my son to always do his best to stay where you are and not be complacent. There is always someone working hard to get your spot so he has to work harder than anyone. I'm glad he's still listening to my advice.

Lastly, definitely stay away from practice except the occasional glimpse.
RR23 Smile
Last edited by Ryanrod23
quote:
He told me the players laugh at the dads that come to watch

Wow..tough crowd.

I agree that parents should be seen and not heard but I don't think 'letting go' means you can't be around 'watching' sometimes...I was never my son's coach. Consequently, I don't feel a need to 'help' him or his teammates. I just do what I've always done...watch and enjoy....

I suspect too many dads come to help and offer advice... Razz
Perhaps we should return the good old days when there were np parents/coaches meetings---the coach was the King and what he did and said was what happened--no interference and as I look around now I see no harm to any of the players--in fact they may have matured quicker than the kids today---no meetings then no BS from parents and no more "my son my son" stuff

Think about it
quote:
What are your experiences regarding varsity players being brought down to JV the year after?

Ryanrod.... Congrats to your boy! I've never seen a player sent down to JV after having been a Varsity player, even as a Freshman. I have seen players cut in their Senior year... that get's some attention!!

Our Coach sends out his "Baseball" letter to prospective families in about October. It addresses the team selections, expectations, Spring break commitment and his policies regarding Summer H.S. ball and Travel teams. In that letter he always says that" Freshman and Sophomores WILL NOT be selected to the Varsity squad unless he feels they will be able to get substantial playing time." On the surface that makes sense but he always seems to violate that statement by placing a Freshman or two on the squad (generally pitchers) who many never set foot on the field. Seems a waste to me but they do periodically get dispatched down to a JV game for a start here and there.

Through my 23yr. association with our School, I've seen a "few" Freshman "phenoms" make Varsity. Some have more than justified their early success by continuing on to successful College and , a couple of times, Pro careers. Just as many, however, are no longer major contributors by the time they reach their Senior year and don't play beyond High School. Keeping your son grounded and focused, is indeed very wise! I'd prefer seeing a good young player playing on JV than "riding the pine" on the Varsity squad.
Last edited by Prime9
quote:
Originally posted by MarlinsMS_35:
We played a scrimmage game in an umpire training clinic. We beat one of lower end teams in our district 10-0. I pitched one inning and 2 Ks on 1 H, 0 BB, 0 R. Our official pre-season starts Feb. 10th. Regular season on the 16th.

Good for you, keep up the good work!
warningtrack , our kids have too much respect for adults to be making fun of them . they also are too busy practicing to notice parents who sometimes siop by to watch . parents who also fund raise , have cookouts , ferry them to and from practice , games , team functions , and in my case their AAU coach . regardless of other teams policies , our team has no problem with parents watching . good luck on eveybody's upcoming season .
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Dorminy:
warningtrack , our kids have too much respect for adults to be making fun of them . they also are too busy practicing to notice parents who sometimes siop by to watch . parents who also fund raise , have cookouts , ferry them to and from practice , games , team functions , and in my case their AAU coach . regardless of other teams policies , our team has no problem with parents watching . good luck on eveybody's upcoming season .

Please read the above again. It sure comes accross as your kids are better than ours. And to say they don't notice because they are busy practicing implies that our kids are not practicing. I hope I am wrong..........
Prime9, I always ask, "How would I score it if my kid hit it" and "How would I score it if my kid was pitching" and "How would I score it if my kid didn't field it". You will converge on the right answer.

I just don't like parents begging for hits... I'm going to pretend like I do it for fun...
Last edited by JMoff
I've just discovered High School Baseball Web and I'm so impressed! My son is a Freshman at a little 2A school in small-town-USA, otherwise listed as Elkhart, Texas. My eldest son was a 4 year varsity starter for this team and now I'm starting down that road again with the younger. Reading the posts on HSBW of baseball parents and fans from all over the U.S. is going to be my new favorite pasttime. I'm learning something new about baseball in America - for example, the season doesn't start January 30th for everyone just because it starts for us! And in East Texas, we don't have the challenge of longer periods of inclimate weather. I'm very interested in learning how baseball fans and players deal with the cold, etc. I understand hot however, - believe me!

Thanks for letting me read your posts! Keep the info. coming! I know I'll enjoy reading everything you have to say about your team!
Ground Hog Day is here! Sorry, PUNXSUTAWNEY PHIL
says," 6 more weeks of winter for our Northern friends." However, GENERAL B. LEE says " Spring is around the corner here in the South."

I sure hope our little "weasel" friend knows his weather! We did get on the field for the 1st day of practice/tryouts yesterday. Wet today, but rains gone so looks like we will get outside today and tomorrow. Then more rain late week through Saturday. It will be spotty here until we get to Mid-March. 23 days until 1st game, for fellow Georgians who may be counting along.
Missouri High School starts March 1st with official tryouts. Sons high school has open gym three days a week for the next three weeks until official tryouts.

Son is a freshman who will go through his first high school tryout and his hoping for a jv outfield/pitcher spot. He has been working with his summer team three days a week since November so hopefully that has helped. And I think going through the tryout process for that team will help also. First game is around March 22nd.
Rain rain go away!
First scrimmage last Friday went well. 2B has kind of gotten pigeonholed in one position for the last 4 years on the HS team (guess which one Smile) but had an opportunity to move to the left side during the scrimmage. He did what he does, opened some eyes, and has been practicing there ever since. Doesn't matter where he plays, as long as he plays. But it was nice to see that some things aren't as set in stone as I had thought they would be.

Our second scrimmage was rained out on Tuesday, and it's not looking good for tonight.

No worries, though. Preseason Classic starts next Tuesday!
Tryouts begin March 1. Conditioning started in Novemeber and unofficial workouts at the local juco started last week. Has been working out with the Jr Legion team for about a month. 34 is 14 years old, a freshman, catcher, outfielder and 1B. Looking to make JV and contribute anywhere they need him. His older brother spent 3 years in the program and he just wants to get out there and play.
To watch or not to watch was one of the questions,

Welllll, my thought is as long as the parent is seen but not heard, and maybe down the foul lines, and its not all the time, and this is a biggy you ask the head coach if he minds, nicely, then what harm does it do?

Not only do I enjoy watching whats left of my sons high school days playing a sport be it practice or game but I really enjoy watching the other kids that he grew up with and that I coached. Finally not all coaches are perfect and I like to see what my sons are doing at practice and where they may improve even more within the scope of the objectives of the var coach.

The window to watch closes real quick after high school.
quote:
How many high school games does your state allow?

Gonyard;

Here in Georgia we are allowed 1 pre-season Offical Scrimmage game. We play 26 regular season games that end in April. Post Season is played in May with 5-rounds needed to win it all. Those are a best of 3-games format. So total number of possible games if all 5 post series went three would be 41 games. It's all over by May 30th, in time for Summer Travel teams that really begin play in Mid-May thru typically Mid-July.
Gonyard, for a couple of years there, 2B was one of the only ones on either his HS varsity team or his summer team who didn't drive. So I always had an excuse to watch. It was kind of a bummer when he started driving and that excuse was gone!

In FL we play 25 games total, including tournaments, during the regular season.
First day of tryouts here in AZ are in the books.

We have 1 scrimmage and a 20 game season, with the caveat that 2 games may be replaced by tournaments of 5-6 games each, so you could end up with 28 or 29 games in a regular season.

We have a crazy 'power point' system that determines which teams make the tournament. Each team selects 18 regular season games, which includes all conference games and selected out of conference games as their games that count. Some select tournament games, others don't.

Basically, win 10 games and you don't have to worry about opponents points and such. Win 9 and sweat it out.

With two more days of tryouts to worry about and significant rain forecast on Wednesday, we're getting ahead of ourselves.

Good news is that my daughter's Jr. High (8th grade) Softball team pulled an upset in their tournament first round game and will play the #1 seed tomorrow with nothing to lose...

For those of you in cold weather states, we actually play Jr. High softball from December-February and consider this 'normal'.
Last edited by JMoff
Agree with Jmoff. Our school normally hosts one tournament and attends another. This year will the 1st time in school history that the Varsity Baseball Team will go out of state to attend the Anderson Bat National Classic in Anaheim,CA during Easter break. Should be a great experience with the kids. Team may have time to tour Cal State Fullerton or nearby colleges if the time allows. Due to possible rain Wednesday, likely practice on Saturday for those who make varsity.

Jmoff, Hope your daughter had fun playing the #1 seed today!
Last edited by Ryanrod23
First preseason tournament game today! Home opener is Tuesday!

And now I'm going to brag a bit because this is where we can do it. Smile 2B is halfway done with his junior year. First semester grades: Honors Physics: A; Honors English: A, AP History: A, Trigonometry: A, Marine Science: A, Interactive Design: A. Cumulative unweighted GPA: 3.81 Percentile rank: 4th.

How about that? Smile
My son Sam (Sophomore), learned from the head coach he made his JV team at Dobson High last night. He will be a pitcher only...unless somebody gets hurt...like half the team! LOL!!!!

Learning he made the team was, up to this point in his short 16 years, the best thing that has ever happened to him...

I'm going to take a break from coaching this spring that I have not had for 10+ years...just to watch and to enjoy Sam's ups and downs with a very large smile on my face! All the while sitting in my lounge chair and critiquing the coach for every little thing he does...LOL!!!!
Last edited by Coach Waltrip
quote:
Originally posted by Coach Waltrip:
My son Sam (Sophomore), learned from the head coach he made his JV team at Dobson High last night. He will be a pitcher only...unless somebody gets hurt...like half the team! LOL!!!!

Learning he made the team was, up to this point in his short 16 years, the best thing that has ever happened to him...

I'm going to take a break from coaching this spring that I have not had for 10+ years...just to watch and to enjoy Sam's ups and downs with a very large smile on my face! All the while sitting in my lounge chair and critiquing the coach for every little thing he does...LOL!!!!

Now coach steve, who ever you are, you need to pay for your other son's (if you have one) college so that he become a MLB manager or General Manager
Well finally tonight high school baseball started for my sons team.Even though it was a close game thru 5 innings with a that has made the state playoffs,they finally took us to the wood shed in the 6th inning. After 5 innings it was 2-2 and ended up 10-2.May might think the wheels feel off but i didnt see it that way. I saw a team omainly soph and juniors hang in with a team much much older.So in all this people believe that it was a big fall but i see it as a learning experience for young men that will someday be making much bigger decisions in life. They will learn from it and be better players and young men. But the biggest thing is baseball is finally here and to see the smiles and big eyes again is great. My son was so pumped but disappointed because we took him out after the 2nd inning leading 1-0 in favor of letting the other pitchers learn how to deal with a pressure situation.God it was the greatest 2 words to hear tonight "Play Ball ". Please tell your young men to enjoy this rideas it will be gone in a short time. Good Luck everyone.
quote:
Originally posted by 2Bmom:
First preseason tournament game today! Home opener is Tuesday!

And now I'm going to brag a bit because this is where we can do it. Smile 2B is halfway done with his junior year. First semester grades: Honors Physics: A; Honors English: A, AP History: A, Trigonometry: A, Marine Science: A, Interactive Design: A. Cumulative unweighted GPA: 3.81 Percentile rank: 4th.

How about that? Smile

That's something to brag about mom...congratulations to your son, very impressive!
quote:

I've yet to agree with any coach or umpire 100%...

Not a problem since none of them are paid to do what I think they should do...

But I can still critique in my head!!!
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanrod23:
Congrats Coach Waltrip! Enjoy the games from the other side! See you around. Smile

Thanks Ryanrod...it's kinda seems odd not being involved, but I've already missed too much of his HS experience his Freshman year by coaching a different team and the window on these things is small, so I am going to enjoy it while I can...probably be seeing you around a ballfield this summer...Enjoy the ride while it lasts my friend...Enjoy it...
quote:
Originally posted by futurecoachjosh:

Now coach steve, who ever you are, you need to pay for your other son's (if you have one) college so that he become a MLB manager or General Manager

You're so right FCJ...thats why you need to get the highest grades possible so you can get into the best sports management program in the country...

I can see that front office job now...but only with good grades...including your German class. If you think German is hard what do you think dealing with a prima donna athlete is like?

Sam is working hard on the field, but your field of play is the classroom...you're doing great so far keep the streak going!
Congratulations to everyone! It has been a great week for baseball!

It has also been a red letter week for 2B. First preseason game last night. Where is 2B hitting?...what?...cleanup? First at bat, two on, one out. Low pitch, fly ball, oh, well, turn off the camera like an idiot.. Mad ..and the ball just kept going! Three run homer! Now, that's the way to start a season. Second at bat was a line single to center that scored 2. The next two at bats, they walked him. Big Grin

Next game is Saturday. Good luck to everyone this season!
quote:

It has also been a red letter week for 2B. First preseason game last night. Where is 2B hitting?...what?...cleanup? First at bat, two on, one out. Low pitch, fly ball, oh, well, turn off the camera like an idiot.. Mad ..and the ball just kept going! Three run homer! Now, that's the way to start a season. Second at bat was a line single to center that scored 2. The next two at bats, they walked him. Big Grin

No problem...With all your screaming the shot would have been all blury anyway... Smile
I have enjoyed every post in this thread!

My son loved high school baseball and so did I. I remember the joy when he told me he had made the freshman team, then the JV team the following year, and then varsity following that as many people are reporting in this thread. I remember the tears after the last game. It is the best of times. Focus on the here and now because you can never go back other than your memories like I am doing now. Your kids will have years ahead to figure out what things are like in college. Savor that three run homer for 2BMom. It is magic and I am guessing her feet have yet to hit the ground Smile
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by futurecoachjosh:

You're so right FCJ...thats why you need to get the highest grades possible so you can get into the best sports management program in the country...

I can see that front office job now...but only with good grades...including your German class. If you think German is hard what do you think dealing with a prima donna athlete is like?

Sam is working hard on the field, but your field of play is the classroom...you're doing great so far keep the streak going!

Well, SIR, I don't know how your son can get a scholarship with him not being in sports and also not having straight A's and also the state he is in only has one college with sports management and it cost 12,000+ a year so he is going to have to move to chino, california to attend Cal State Chino
"...and also the state he is in only has one college with sports management...."

FYI - while somewhat off topic, this is list of colleges with Sports Management many in California and throughout the United States:

http://www.nassm.com/InfoAbout...ograms/United_States

I personally know a family whose son kept stats for his college football team, first as an hourly job that eventually worked into a scholarship!
quote:

Wow, straight A's on your son's report card, and a 3 run dinger this week...you must be proud 2Bmom!
Our season has been less than impressive so far. Tryouts were Feb. 1-5. Practice last week. Team has yet been able to take ground balls on the infield. Too wet. Then we get 3 inches of snow Friday which cancels practice. Practice scheduled for Monday, but more snow forcasted for Sunday night and Monday morning. This is really frustrating. We're supposed to have our first scrimmage game Friday and a big meet the team event on Saturday. Supposed to get rain again on Friday night and Saturday. I really miss the drought here in Georgia.

Good news is, son made varsity. One of two sophmores. Should be starting pitcher again this year and should have an opportunity for some field time and some at bats. We'll see how it goes -if the team ever gets any field time.
quote:
Good news is, son made varsity. One of two sophmores.

Congrats bballman! Good to see good news despite all the dismal weather! I hope your boy get's some reps in and see's success on the field. If you've seen the long range local weather, we will get even more snow the following week when games are scheduled to begin.

I'm with you, enough precipitation already!!
Last edited by Prime9
Two weeks before tryouts start. My son is a returning starter. But snow is not good for getting the team ready for a 3/16 opening day.

4-6 inches due Tuesday. Snowfall accumlation this winter, > 70 inches so far .... average annual accumulation, 19 inches
Last edited by RJM
quote:
I was on another site earlier and it was suggested that parents should not be allowed at any practice because it puts pressure on the kids and caused second hand coaching . My belief is that any kid who gets nervous or feels pressure at this level at practice should try something new . I also believe that those parents have serious issues . What do you think ? I only attend intersquad and 1 or 2 practices and let the coaches do their job but I believe parents should be allowed to attend if they so desire .
To me it's not about being nervous. I'd feel like I was invading his turf (felt the same way when daughter played softball) if I showed up at practice. Before my kids drove if I arrived to pick them up before practiced ended I would watch through the trees from the parking lot.
quote:
Originally posted by JMoff:
Prime9, I always ask, "How would I score it if my kid hit it" and "How would I score it if my kid was pitching" and "How would I score it if my kid didn't field it". You will converge on the right answer.

I just don't like parents begging for hits... I'm going to pretend like I do it for fun...
I kept score last year. It wasn't fun. I was approached right after plays. I had parents get ticked off at me. I was called an idiot by parents who don't know the rules. As you can imagine I told some of them to take a hike. I received emails when parents disagreed. No way, no how am I scoring again this year.

The coach has a female manager keeping score this year. It should be interesting. It's the same girl he took the job away from two years ago. She was scoring two base throwing errors, doubles. Now parents are begging me to keep score. I won't do it after last year's experience.

Parents don't care how you would score it if it was your kid. They only care how you will score it to benefit their kid.
Last edited by RJM
quote:
I am nervous about his pitching to the older boys. He has always been very good against his own age.
When my son was a freshman the first hitter he faced in a scrimmage was the senior captain, college prospect. On the first pitch the captain took him deep, but foul. My son knocked him on his tail on the second pitch and stood on the mound smiling at him. Two pitches later he took him out with a change in the dirt.

When my son told me about it that night I asked if there was payback for the brushback. He had to carry the heaviest equipment bag. He said he carried it like a trophy. He was cut to JV in the final cut. But he got on the radar screen.
Last edited by RJM
This has been one crazy winter so far...guess Punxsutawney Phil was right about winter lasting 6 more weeks...sometimes I really hate that fat little Woodchuck! That also goes for General Beauregard down in Georgia...

That also goes for Wee Willie and Gary the Groundhog up in Ontario, Brandon Bob in Manitoba, Balzac Billy in Alberta and Shubenacadie Sam in Nova Scotia.

Well, here in Mesa, Arizona we have ants to let us know whether winter is going to continue...yesterday it was 78 and sunny and I haven't seen the critters yet. That must mean it's still winter here...
Over the weekend had a pre-season tournament in St. George UT. Weather was sunny, low 60's, just beautiful.

Those that have been coming to pre-season workouts were divided into two teams. High school coach not allowed to participate due to state rules so others coached. Son was ok at plate, 3-9 including a triple. The surprise was he pitched which was totally unexpected. He has rarely been used as a pitcher. They have been having him throw in pre-season workouts just because of his build. 6'3 1/2", 165 lbs (no exagerating here Wink) He started the first game and went 3 innings, 1 hit, 1 run but a bit wild with 4 walks. He started game 4 and went 4 innings with 1 hit, 7 strikeouts, no walks and no runs against a team that ended up averaging 11 runs in the tournament.

High school coach was there to watch that game and said he would have to look at getting him into the rotation. For a kid who has caught about 75% of the time with a little at first base it was a pleasant surprise.
Hey CD!
Didn't see any other Ohio posts, but could have missed one in the 6 pages....

OH starts "Pitchers/Catchers" next Monday, Feb 22 with position tryouts "officially" starting 2 weeks later.

Have a Freshman and a Senior this year, so I get both ends of the emotion and excitement. Hope they win that "last game" again this year!

Coach actually gave the upperclassman T-shirts with a target on the back....Love it!
I feel bad for all of you in Northern states right now; the only saving grace is that you will be playing BB when we are all done…at least for HS teams. First official day was Monday. We had our pre-season kick off tournament this past week-end and we had two days of unbelievable weather, 75 deg, no wind, perfect two days of baseball. We played two games this week-end with no errors, very tight baseball for so early in the season. They changed the coach contact rules in SoCal and the coaches have been with the team all fall and winter and it appears to be working.

The number of games is all convoluted in SoCal. You are allowed 20 official “games” and one scrimmage. However double headers are considered one game and a tournament is one game. Most of the competitive SoCal HS teams play 28-29 games plus 2 scrimmages, plus an Alumni game. (playoffs are additional) We were playing Winter games with the HS team together the past two months which do not count since they are before the official season. All of the team rosters are more or less set except for a couple of Soph’s they might bring up to fill in on the Varsity squad. Jr. is looking forward to a big year in his important recruiting year.
Well our first game is in the book tonight, not only was the temp cold our team got off to a bad start in the field (temp at game time 46 when finished 34) Its tough to have a young team but to lose the game the way we did really hurts lost 11-9 with 8 errors. But hey thats baseball and they get to play again and do better, such a young team hopefully they will get better as the season rolls on and make people in the district unhappy. So thats how the first initial night went for us cold cold and cold lol. Good luck everyone.
quote:
But hey thats baseball and they get to play again and do better, such a young team hopefully they will get better as the season rolls on

Indeed it is - things will turn around for your young team.

Our first game is in the books, too. What an ugly game. We won, 30-0. It was painful. But everyone played, the pitchers looked great, and 2B went 2 for 2 with 2 doubles and 3 walks. JV also won 14-3. We have a double header against pretty stiff competition on Saturday.
I've been a browser for about a year now, but I couldn't resist joining to make a post on this thread. My son is a freshman at a division 1 hs in Riverside county CA. During 6th period baseball he made enough of an impression on the varsity coach to get an invite to play fall ball with varsity. In the first inning of the third game my son came up with bases loaded and two outs and hit a 385 foot bomb over the left field wall! What a thrill for him and us! He finished that game 3 for 3 with a single, double, grand slam and 5 rbi's. Not a bad start for the freshman. We just finished our 12th and final fall ball game with the freshman leading the team with 12 rbi's! He has also secured the starting left fielder's spot and the number 5 spot in the lineup. All those thousands of swings over the past few years have finally payed off. We're all so excited about the next four years!
quote:
We had our first game Tuesday night , game time temp was 40 , Thomas III threw 5 innings of no hit baseball , hit a 3 run homer and left leading 3-1 . Relief was a little wild , ended up losing 4-3 . Oh well , got another one on Friday . Gotta love the game .

Hey hey, the Pitching, in his case, is way ahead of the hitting, except in his case! Did that make sense? 40 in Tampa, in February? Was 20 degrees warmer than that over Xmas!

Congrats, must have been fun to watch and how many brews after that one?
Last edited by Prime9
quote:
First scrimmage today

We don't play our first scrimmage until Feb 25th...I can't wait to get out to the field. How do you guys in the Great White North stand not being able to even start practice until next month....

Our CF and Catcher were both named today to the southern AZ region first team in.....s0ccer.... Razz
Tell warningtrack Jr. great job. We'll be watching from Woodland. Patriot son has not started baseball yet. He has been called up to Varsity basketball for playoffs. It is a nice experience for him to play with a talented group of seniors, but I'm much more of a baseball dad.

I've been cleaning the pool hoping for the temp in the 70's soon. Nothing like having the team over for a dip after practice.
All is good! 65 degrees, clear and Sunny in Hotlanta! Offical Scrimmage game played today. The season kicks off next week. I hope the drought, or Global warming, or both are back to stay!

It was fantastic watching our boys begin their defense of last years State Championship. All elements clicking early; speed, power, pitching and defense. We baseball people are FULL of optimism in the Spring, aren't we?

Is there life without baseball? Good luck to all!
With five games completed so far (1st two considered pre-season) the team is off to decent start with one loss and 4 wins. The only loss was a 12-2 debacle that this team seems to have at least once a year. Glad it happened early in the season. District play starts next Friday night.

On a personal note my nephew finally got his first start (torn ACL last season) and it was a great one. He threw a complete game (under 100 pitches), 1 hit with 12 K's. We of course were over the moon, Adam on the other hand thought it was no big deal. Gotta love a kid with confidence.
Congrats to your team and your nephew, Loveumbb!

Yesterday was my birthday, and 2B asked what I wanted. I said, "a base hit." Well, he got a couple of those and a few RBIS, and his team swept a double header against a non-district team that usually gives us a serious reality check. High was around 70, it was a perfect day, and the team is now 3-0. It was the best birthday ever! We have three home games next week. I can't wait!
My first appearance of the regular season:

Came in for the top of the 7th with runners on 1st and 3rd, no outs, we're down by one. First batter hits a ground ball to SS. Next one strikes out looking, 3rd hits a weak infield popup. No runs scored. We couldn't pull out the win in the bottom half, and we dropped to 0-2 in 2 one run games that we should have won.
quote:

Yesterday was my birthday, and 2B asked what I wanted. I said, "a base hit." Well, he got a couple of those and a few RBIS, and his team swept a double header against a non-district team that usually gives us a serious reality check. High was around 70, it was a perfect day, and the team is now 3-0. It was the best birthday ever! We have three home games next week. I can't wait!

Nice birthday present! It's fun watching them play when all goes well. Where do you play for spring break? We are going to be in Sarasota again this year.
quote:
Where do you play for spring break? We are going to be in Sarasota again this year.

I wish we were! Unfortunately, our coaches have some connections @ Delgado CC in New Orleans, and for the last couple of years, the team has gone there to play over spring break. It's kind of frustrating, because there is plenty of great baseball right here in Florida, and staying in-state doesn't cost nearly as much. Oh well. Smile
Well, the season is underway. We had our 1st scrimmage game Friday night. We won 3-2. Son pitched one inning. Gave up a single, next guy hits into a 1-6-3 DP, struck out the next. First regular season game was last night. A very cold one. I think temp was around 38 degrees. Bballson pitched 4 innings, gave up 2 hits, 0 runs, 7 K's, 2 BB's (one intentional) in a 1-0, 8 inning win.

Biggest challenge was in the bottom of the 7th with the score 0-0. He walked the 1st batter, next guy hits a check swing back to him on the mound. Ball gets by 1st baseman, runners go to 2nd and 3rd. Intentionally walk the next guy. So it is bases loaded, no outs in the bottom of the 7th. Strikes the next two out and gets a weak grounder to 1st to end the threat. Pretty exciting. He got the win, and a good friend of his got the save.

So far, so good. Loving the season getting started, looking forward to the weather to start to cooperate. Game again tomorrow night and temps should be in the 30's again. Gotta bundle up and head to the ball field!
Nicely done, bballson!

We lost last night 10-6. Just one of those games. The coach of the opposing team was our HS coach for two years. He told me before the game that 2B was not going to get anything good to hit. And he didn't. Smile One for 2 with 2 walks. But the good news is that our basketball team lost in the playoffs, so Hank the Tank will be back to hit cleanup, and there will be no more pitching around J-dizzle. Any questions, see the nicknames thread. Wink
quote:

Hope you were holding the camera still this time...LOL!!!!
I wish I had been! But, for better or for worse, I am the announcer/DJ this year, and I am not coordinated enough to hold the camera at the same time, so 2B will have to hit the rest of his home runs this season Big Grin at away games.

It is a blast, though. I love it. My playlist has everything from Ozzie to Stevie Ray Vaughan to Lynyrd Skynyrd to BB King to the Black Eyed Peas. And of course a little Little Feat (Dixie Chicken) for between games. I went to the gym on Sunday and turned on the iPod, and the song that was on was the last song I played on Saturday. So I listened to the whole playlist again - relived it all. Fun, fun times. Smile
Last edited by 2Bmom
quote:
quote:
Where do you play for spring break? We are going to be in Sarasota again this year.

I wish we were! Unfortunately, our coaches have some connections @ Delgado CC in New Orleans, and for the last couple of years, the team has gone there to play over spring break. It's kind of frustrating, because there is plenty of great baseball right here in Florida, and staying in-state doesn't cost nearly as much. Oh well. Smile

Last year we changed it up a bit and played in Orlando... Frankly our team and the players would prefer to go out of state. One of our local teams goes to Vegas every year. Now that's a spring break trip. I for one prefer closer to home, within easy driving distance to avoid having to take off to much time from work.

Good luck!
Congrats, Marlins! Enjoy it while you can. Smile

D-man, take heart. There are lots of parents out there who are asking themselves the same thing. There will be a thread about it soon. Smile Hang in there - he'll get his chance.

We play our second district game tonight. It's going to be a cold one, but hopefully the Blue Wave bats will heat things up.
quote:
Haven't been to Tombstone

@Ryanrod23 - Thanks for the heads up. Good article, even a picture of your son... Cool Tombstone is a little tourist trap, but it can be fun...

Played our scrimmage game last night...some good things and lots of things to work on...

Son pitched three innings 0 Runs, 0 hits, 6k's...

At the plate was 1-3 with a BB....

At home he told me that the coach said he was the 'best player on the team'...I said that that doesn't sound like something your coach would say...

'Oh yeah dad...He was chewing us out between innings and he said 'My two seniors popped out and my best player strikes out with runners on....' that was me, the guy who struck out'... crazy
quote:
Originally posted by Doughnutman:
Confusing season so far. Son is on Varsity. After two games, 0 plate appearances, 0 innings in the field, 0 innings pitched. Why the heck did they bring him up? I will admit that he is an excellent foul ball retriever and field maintenance guy, but why bring him up to sit?

That's tough on the player and almost as hard on the Parents! You hope the Coach has prepared the player by explaining his purpose and role on the team. Many times, that's to serve as a pitch runner, late inning defensive upgrade or to "mop up" as a pitcher. Hopefully, if a younger Freshman or Sophmore he will be sent down to get reps where possible with the JV. Moreover, the Coach may see him as a future starter that he wants to be around the current group and experience the flavor and attitude of a older, hopefully winning atmosphere.

Personally, I'd rather see the kid "playing" at the lower level until he's ready or the Coaches are ready to allow him to compete!

Good luck .... he probably will get a shot somewhere along the line. Tell him to stay ready!
I agree with knowing your roles and doing them. But why the heck bring a kid up to do something that just about anybody can do. Mopping up, pinch running, defensive replacements are easily found from the kids that are on the team. Why use a freshman for that when he could be getting practices, at bats, and fielding? If he isn't starting or playing, why keep a freshman on the bench? Could the coach just be giving the older kids a chance to prove themselves and he is used as a stalking horse? "Better play well or the freshman will take your place." kind of thing? It makes no sense to me.
quote:
Confusing season so far. Son is on Varsity. After two games, 0 plate appearances, 0 innings in the field, 0 innings pitched. Why the heck did they bring him up? I will admit that he is an excellent foul ball retriever and field maintenance guy, but why bring him up to sit?

So many folks want their frosh players on varsity, but in reality this is what usually happens. Let the new guys play JV and then bring them up towards the end of the season.
quote:
Son's first HS tryout is Feb 22, with games starting mid-March. We are expecting 6-10" of snow tomorrow. (Thank goodness for indoor winter workouts.)

Roster was posted this morning...Keewartson made the JV team as an 8th grader! Possible scrimmage tomorrow. Going to get some seads, my lawn chair, (and mittens and a hat) and enjoy the ride! Whoo hoo!
34 has final high school workout tonight at the local JUCO and HS tryouts start on Monday. He a freshman C/OF looking to make JV. He is looking forward to the challenge and ready for the hard work. Final cuts likely at the end of the week, if he makes it, scrimmages follow. First offical game is 3/22.

Have some doubts that fields will be payable, given we still have snow cover.

Good luck to all those trying out....
@ Hawk19..Still a great compliment from the coach.

@ Doughnutman..It will be fine. Was in the same position last year. RR23Jr was primarily a relief pitcher the whole season but was given 2 starts mid season then suddenly started 3b during the 1st playoff game and looks like he will start the season where he ended last season. He will have his chance and just keep reminding him to stay sharp and focused. Always be ready to get in the game when his number is called. What position was given to him for this season by his coaches? Based on our own experience, the quality of varsity practice is much better than JV and he certainly would learn more and adjust to varsity life. I second AZALLAN, better to experience this early so he won't have a hard time adjusting to this situation in the future. This will hopefully make him work harder and never relinquish his spot once he gets it.

Best of Luck,
RR23 Smile
RR23,
Dman JR is Mr. Backup. He is a pitcher/utility guy. He plays everywhere except catcher in practice. He plays everywhere except the field in games. He is a lot more patient than Dad so I am sure it will work out. We have a crazy schedule right now, counting today, we have 6 games in 9 days I think. He should get on the mound at the very least.
I don't get it. Kid gets called up to varsity and the kid don't play much but dad upset kid on varsity. My kid played but didn't make varsity until junior year and did most of his playing on jv which IMO was a waste because he slaughtered jv pitching and as an outfielder, threw out kids at first base from RF because jv's couldn't out run his arm. Maybe it was better to play as a jv on varsity then to not play at all as most of the handful of juniors did that were on varsity because when he finally got called up for good, he put himself in a position to win the starting job over the incumbents. Inspite of that, he still would've rather been named to the varsity from day one as a junior and try and win a spot there as opposed to getting guarenteed play on jv and some pinch hitting and running on varsity when he initially got called up. To even get a look at the varsity level as a freshman, the kid and dad should thank their lucky stars that he's on the radar as a freshman. Varsity coaches could care less about JV ball or freshman ball. The freshman in our school system go to the jr high across town so they only play freshman ball and don't even get a shot to even try out for varsity until they're sophomores.
Last edited by zombywoof
Second district game was Friday night. The boys had a great night, won 10-1, and 2B did as well - 2 for three with a triple, a single, and a walk, 5 RBIs. The triple went to straightaway center, about 400 feet! Too bad the fence is 405. Smile So we're 4-1 overall, 2-0 in the district. We have three district games in the coming week. Should be fun.
Tryouts start today as well in Missouri. We have about the same numbers as ranger689's son does. As per one of my previous posts, our school has like 14 Seniors coming out. We also have a new head coach (old JV coach was promoted). Cuts are made on Thursday. Should be an interesting week...They should at least get outside some this week as the weather is OK in STL. They probably won't be able to get onto infield as it is below freezing every night and highs only in mid 40's...
Tryouts today in Washington, son has started every game since he was a Freshman now in his Junior year he becomes the guy they will look to for guidence. Got up today and he ask me for my nice dress shirt and then put on his tie with his team logo, so I had to ask why are you wearing a tie he says " today I become a leader I called my teamates and ask them to dress for success" it is a great feeling for us as parents to watch our kids grow up on the baseball field and in the classroom.
2B's first HS coach would have the boys wear a dress shirt, dress pants, and tie to school for away games. I don't think 2B liked it too much, but the boys looked so grown up and handsome!

I know HS stats don't mean much, but.... Smile ...area stats came out in today's paper. 2B is right now 4th in batting average, and leading in runs scored, RBIs, and walks.

I think the rain blew through this morning, so hopefully we'll get our district game in tonight!
quote:

I know HS stats don't mean much, but.... Smile ...area stats came out in today's paper. 2B is right now 4th in batting average, and leading in runs scored, RBIs, and walks.

I think the rain blew through this morning, so hopefully we'll get our district game in tonight!

Nice that your local paper posts stats. Our Coach wont even let us posts stats on our website (owned and run by booster club). He says the kids get to wrapped up in their personal success/losses instead of focusing on the team.
WAGson's on the freshmen team at a 5A school here and loving it! The quality of baseball isn't as high as select, but he loves playing for his HS and with the guys at school. So far they are 4-2 this pre-season (scrimmages & tourneys).

It's 65 degrees and sunny today with a tourney starting today at 2pm...unfortunately I have to work. He's playing well and developing a good relationship with his coach.

Freshmen baseball story - We had 4 pitchers combine for a no-hitter...and lost 10-4! Lots of walks and errors Gotta love freshmen baseball! Thanks to HSBBWebbers advice, I'm doing my best to sit back and enjoy the ride.

WAG!
My sophomore son came home from tryouts last night with one of the biggest smiles I have ever seen him have. He said the coach pulled him aside last night and told him that he likes the way he swings a bat and that he was bringing him up to the varsity team. He told him he didn't want him just to be a DH but he wants him to play one of the corner position's or first base...told him to pick a spot and be ready to work hard. My husband and I are so excited for him.
Last edited by Runningaway
Thanks RR23, He has put in a lot of time working on his swing. He turned his room into a batting cage( UGH)took his bunk beds apart and put the mattresses along the wall. Thank God that he is only using wiffle ball's. We also took him over to the Bull's White sox accademy to help tweak his swing. He's always had a pretty good swing but they have really helped in many ways. He is more consistant at the plate and much more confident.
Finally! Tryouts are over, the parents' meeting is tomorrow night and "27" made the Varsity squad. However, I may need to change my screen-name...son has no clue what number he will have .

JV and Sophs start on Monday and the Varsity start their preseason in St. George next Friday.

Good luck to everyone...and may it be a successful and safe season!
Well tonight our team had a very big win. We played the #2 team in the district of 9 teams and beat them. Its great to see this young team gel, they hit the ball hard and fielded well. Little Panther2011 took the bump and got the CG with 10 ks,so not only was i a proud coach of this team the way they came thru,and was a proud pop of the pitcher. Things looked tough the first part of the season but they are putting it together.But the only thing i want now is a nice night to play lol its been in the mid 30s all season long. Hope everyone is having a good season so far and injury free, Good luck everyone.
Son was bumped down to JV after sitting for the first three games on varsity. He didn't like it much but things worked out. He had his first ever high school game today playing for the JV. He went 3-4 with two HR's and a double. He said he was safe on the one out and the ump blew the call. He hit one out on the first swing he ever took in HS. Woo hoo!!
34's high school had first cuts yesterday...he survived. Not sure when final cuts will be made, perhaps as late as next week. They did get outside and set up infield drills in the outfield (the actual infield is still too soft) and 34 said it was just awesome to throw outside with the team.

Good luck to all of those trying out.

Doughnutman-Congrats to your son. Great start to his HS career!
Last edited by 24&34Dad
quote:
Son was bumped down to JV after sitting for the first three games on varsity. He didn't like it much but things worked out. He had his first ever high school game today playing for the JV. He went 3-4 with two HR's and a double. He said he was safe on the one out and the ump blew the call. He hit one out on the first swing he ever took in HS. Woo hoo!!

Well Dan, I guess it's going to work out then...excellent...that's good news and my guess is that Brock will be back in varsity before you know it...blasting HR's there too!

In 4 games Sam has pitched 4 innings in relief with 3 hits, 3 K's, 1 BB's with 1 earned run. Not bad for a kid who has been lately struggling with control. As much as his team's starters are getting hammered and hammered hard, it won't be long before he is starting.

Have fun!

Steve

PS - What you guys doing for a summer team? Sam will be with the Angels...
CW,
Keep on working the kid hard!! Everybody needs pitching. We will play with NorCal for two tournaments this summer. AZ Sophomore classic and the CABA world series in Illinois. The CABA one is only 10 minutes from where we lived before we moved out to AZ. SHoud be a blast to see old frinds and we have a bunch of relatives who want to see him play. For the rest of the summer who knows. He will have HS summer ball and maybe some games with Nutty Buddy. We shall see.
quote:
He went 3-4 with two HR's and a double.

Great googly moogly! Congratulations to D-son!

We gave an undefeated district rival their first loss last night to keep the Blue Wave on top with a 4-0 district record, 6-1 overall. 2B had another good day, 2 for 4 with 2 doubles. We play another district game tomorrow afternoon. It should be mid-60's and sunny - perfect!
Patience, Doughnutman. It will all work out -- and virtually nothing this year as a freshman -- good or bad -- will mean much in the years ahead, as long as he keeps things positive and in perspective. The experience of simply being there, however, could help significantly (and if you think about it, that is not a contradiction).
After three starts Adam is 3-0 with two big wins against two district rivals. 18 innings pitched, 1 earned run and 27K's. Two games were called in the 6th due to the 10 run mercy rule.

The week was capped off with a nice article about Adam in Saturday's Miami Herald. Of course he hates the attention and feels it's a team thing and the focus should be on all of the kids not just him. We are all so proud of how he has matured and taken on a leadership role on his team.

With a mixture of Senior leadership and underclassmen just happy to be playing, this is probably the best team we have fielded in years.
Last edited by Loveumbb
Tryouts finally over; intra-squad (Varsity vs JV) scrimmage yesterday under rare beautiful NW blue skies. Varsity battery when JV is on defense, and vice versa.

PD son did very well on the mound for Varsity. Got one of our D1 commits to pop out to short and struck out another D1 commit. At the plate he had two quality at bats, but went 0-3 with a sac fly to deep right center.

Jamboree next weekend then finally some actual league games.

Play ball!

PD
Baseball is a funny game. My son followed his tough start on Friday at the plate, with a 5-6 two homerun effort on Saturday. It's amazing what a difference one day can make. I'm not expecting that all season, but it was certainly fun watching him have a great day.

Good look to everyone. Hopefully Mother Nature will give us some nice baseball weather this week!
Had another ugly game on Saturday. We won 17-1. The boys had to run 10 poles after the game because they apparently weren't exhibiting enough enthusiasm early on.

We moved down in size classification this year and are facing some talented but young and inexperienced teams. It's getting to be kind of frustrating - winning is fun, but the majority of our games have been blowouts. No one gets better either getting pounded or doing the pounding. Oh, well. At least spring is almost here - highs in the 70s all week, and district matchups on Thursday and Friday.
quote:
We moved down in size classification this year and are facing some talented but young and inexperienced teams. It's getting to be kind of frustrating - winning is fun, but the majority of our games have been blowouts.

I'm a big proponent of small school baseball because I think it gives a lot more kids an opportunity to play HS ball. But, I know how you feel...

We're 6-0 now and have won every game by at least 11 runs. Small school baseball is full of young and inexperienced players almost by definition.

We have six more games this week against what appears on paper to be much better teams, so we'll see how it goes.
quote:
Our HS has 3 teams, F JV V, each play their own schedule. Could he be called up in the district play off?

Depends on the rules. When my son played, the JV and varsity traveled together and played their games while the freshman had their own schedule. Unless you were a senior, you could bounce between JV and V. It was typical that the varsity coach would call up to the JV coach to send someone over to the varsity during a game. Usually, a top JV player. It happened to my son when he played. In fact one time after one of his JV games finished, he went over to the varsity dugout to just watch the rest of the varsity game and the varsity coach told him to grab his bat and that he was up next.
Last edited by zombywoof

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.