Skip to main content

Tell warningtrack Jr. great job. We'll be watching from Woodland. Patriot son has not started baseball yet. He has been called up to Varsity basketball for playoffs. It is a nice experience for him to play with a talented group of seniors, but I'm much more of a baseball dad.

I've been cleaning the pool hoping for the temp in the 70's soon. Nothing like having the team over for a dip after practice.
All is good! 65 degrees, clear and Sunny in Hotlanta! Offical Scrimmage game played today. The season kicks off next week. I hope the drought, or Global warming, or both are back to stay!

It was fantastic watching our boys begin their defense of last years State Championship. All elements clicking early; speed, power, pitching and defense. We baseball people are FULL of optimism in the Spring, aren't we?

Is there life without baseball? Good luck to all!
With five games completed so far (1st two considered pre-season) the team is off to decent start with one loss and 4 wins. The only loss was a 12-2 debacle that this team seems to have at least once a year. Glad it happened early in the season. District play starts next Friday night.

On a personal note my nephew finally got his first start (torn ACL last season) and it was a great one. He threw a complete game (under 100 pitches), 1 hit with 12 K's. We of course were over the moon, Adam on the other hand thought it was no big deal. Gotta love a kid with confidence.
Congrats to your team and your nephew, Loveumbb!

Yesterday was my birthday, and 2B asked what I wanted. I said, "a base hit." Well, he got a couple of those and a few RBIS, and his team swept a double header against a non-district team that usually gives us a serious reality check. High was around 70, it was a perfect day, and the team is now 3-0. It was the best birthday ever! We have three home games next week. I can't wait!
My first appearance of the regular season:

Came in for the top of the 7th with runners on 1st and 3rd, no outs, we're down by one. First batter hits a ground ball to SS. Next one strikes out looking, 3rd hits a weak infield popup. No runs scored. We couldn't pull out the win in the bottom half, and we dropped to 0-2 in 2 one run games that we should have won.
quote:
Originally posted by 2Bmom:

Yesterday was my birthday, and 2B asked what I wanted. I said, "a base hit." Well, he got a couple of those and a few RBIS, and his team swept a double header against a non-district team that usually gives us a serious reality check. High was around 70, it was a perfect day, and the team is now 3-0. It was the best birthday ever! We have three home games next week. I can't wait!

Nice birthday present! It's fun watching them play when all goes well. Where do you play for spring break? We are going to be in Sarasota again this year.
quote:
Where do you play for spring break? We are going to be in Sarasota again this year.

I wish we were! Unfortunately, our coaches have some connections @ Delgado CC in New Orleans, and for the last couple of years, the team has gone there to play over spring break. It's kind of frustrating, because there is plenty of great baseball right here in Florida, and staying in-state doesn't cost nearly as much. Oh well. Smile
Well, the season is underway. We had our 1st scrimmage game Friday night. We won 3-2. Son pitched one inning. Gave up a single, next guy hits into a 1-6-3 DP, struck out the next. First regular season game was last night. A very cold one. I think temp was around 38 degrees. Bballson pitched 4 innings, gave up 2 hits, 0 runs, 7 K's, 2 BB's (one intentional) in a 1-0, 8 inning win.

Biggest challenge was in the bottom of the 7th with the score 0-0. He walked the 1st batter, next guy hits a check swing back to him on the mound. Ball gets by 1st baseman, runners go to 2nd and 3rd. Intentionally walk the next guy. So it is bases loaded, no outs in the bottom of the 7th. Strikes the next two out and gets a weak grounder to 1st to end the threat. Pretty exciting. He got the win, and a good friend of his got the save.

So far, so good. Loving the season getting started, looking forward to the weather to start to cooperate. Game again tomorrow night and temps should be in the 30's again. Gotta bundle up and head to the ball field!
Nicely done, bballson!

We lost last night 10-6. Just one of those games. The coach of the opposing team was our HS coach for two years. He told me before the game that 2B was not going to get anything good to hit. And he didn't. Smile One for 2 with 2 walks. But the good news is that our basketball team lost in the playoffs, so Hank the Tank will be back to hit cleanup, and there will be no more pitching around J-dizzle. Any questions, see the nicknames thread. Wink
quote:

Hope you were holding the camera still this time...LOL!!!!
I wish I had been! But, for better or for worse, I am the announcer/DJ this year, and I am not coordinated enough to hold the camera at the same time, so 2B will have to hit the rest of his home runs this season Big Grin at away games.

It is a blast, though. I love it. My playlist has everything from Ozzie to Stevie Ray Vaughan to Lynyrd Skynyrd to BB King to the Black Eyed Peas. And of course a little Little Feat (Dixie Chicken) for between games. I went to the gym on Sunday and turned on the iPod, and the song that was on was the last song I played on Saturday. So I listened to the whole playlist again - relived it all. Fun, fun times. Smile
Last edited by 2Bmom
quote:
quote:
Where do you play for spring break? We are going to be in Sarasota again this year.

I wish we were! Unfortunately, our coaches have some connections @ Delgado CC in New Orleans, and for the last couple of years, the team has gone there to play over spring break. It's kind of frustrating, because there is plenty of great baseball right here in Florida, and staying in-state doesn't cost nearly as much. Oh well. Smile

Last year we changed it up a bit and played in Orlando... Frankly our team and the players would prefer to go out of state. One of our local teams goes to Vegas every year. Now that's a spring break trip. I for one prefer closer to home, within easy driving distance to avoid having to take off to much time from work.

Good luck!
Congrats, Marlins! Enjoy it while you can. Smile

D-man, take heart. There are lots of parents out there who are asking themselves the same thing. There will be a thread about it soon. Smile Hang in there - he'll get his chance.

We play our second district game tonight. It's going to be a cold one, but hopefully the Blue Wave bats will heat things up.
quote:
Haven't been to Tombstone

@Ryanrod23 - Thanks for the heads up. Good article, even a picture of your son... Cool Tombstone is a little tourist trap, but it can be fun...

Played our scrimmage game last night...some good things and lots of things to work on...

Son pitched three innings 0 Runs, 0 hits, 6k's...

At the plate was 1-3 with a BB....

At home he told me that the coach said he was the 'best player on the team'...I said that that doesn't sound like something your coach would say...

'Oh yeah dad...He was chewing us out between innings and he said 'My two seniors popped out and my best player strikes out with runners on....' that was me, the guy who struck out'... crazy
quote:
Originally posted by Doughnutman:
Confusing season so far. Son is on Varsity. After two games, 0 plate appearances, 0 innings in the field, 0 innings pitched. Why the heck did they bring him up? I will admit that he is an excellent foul ball retriever and field maintenance guy, but why bring him up to sit?

That's tough on the player and almost as hard on the Parents! You hope the Coach has prepared the player by explaining his purpose and role on the team. Many times, that's to serve as a pitch runner, late inning defensive upgrade or to "mop up" as a pitcher. Hopefully, if a younger Freshman or Sophmore he will be sent down to get reps where possible with the JV. Moreover, the Coach may see him as a future starter that he wants to be around the current group and experience the flavor and attitude of a older, hopefully winning atmosphere.

Personally, I'd rather see the kid "playing" at the lower level until he's ready or the Coaches are ready to allow him to compete!

Good luck .... he probably will get a shot somewhere along the line. Tell him to stay ready!
I agree with knowing your roles and doing them. But why the heck bring a kid up to do something that just about anybody can do. Mopping up, pinch running, defensive replacements are easily found from the kids that are on the team. Why use a freshman for that when he could be getting practices, at bats, and fielding? If he isn't starting or playing, why keep a freshman on the bench? Could the coach just be giving the older kids a chance to prove themselves and he is used as a stalking horse? "Better play well or the freshman will take your place." kind of thing? It makes no sense to me.
quote:
Originally posted by Doughnutman:
Confusing season so far. Son is on Varsity. After two games, 0 plate appearances, 0 innings in the field, 0 innings pitched. Why the heck did they bring him up? I will admit that he is an excellent foul ball retriever and field maintenance guy, but why bring him up to sit?

So many folks want their frosh players on varsity, but in reality this is what usually happens. Let the new guys play JV and then bring them up towards the end of the season.
quote:
Son's first HS tryout is Feb 22, with games starting mid-March. We are expecting 6-10" of snow tomorrow. (Thank goodness for indoor winter workouts.)

Roster was posted this morning...Keewartson made the JV team as an 8th grader! Possible scrimmage tomorrow. Going to get some seads, my lawn chair, (and mittens and a hat) and enjoy the ride! Whoo hoo!
34 has final high school workout tonight at the local JUCO and HS tryouts start on Monday. He a freshman C/OF looking to make JV. He is looking forward to the challenge and ready for the hard work. Final cuts likely at the end of the week, if he makes it, scrimmages follow. First offical game is 3/22.

Have some doubts that fields will be payable, given we still have snow cover.

Good luck to all those trying out....
@ Hawk19..Still a great compliment from the coach.

@ Doughnutman..It will be fine. Was in the same position last year. RR23Jr was primarily a relief pitcher the whole season but was given 2 starts mid season then suddenly started 3b during the 1st playoff game and looks like he will start the season where he ended last season. He will have his chance and just keep reminding him to stay sharp and focused. Always be ready to get in the game when his number is called. What position was given to him for this season by his coaches? Based on our own experience, the quality of varsity practice is much better than JV and he certainly would learn more and adjust to varsity life. I second AZALLAN, better to experience this early so he won't have a hard time adjusting to this situation in the future. This will hopefully make him work harder and never relinquish his spot once he gets it.

Best of Luck,
RR23 Smile
RR23,
Dman JR is Mr. Backup. He is a pitcher/utility guy. He plays everywhere except catcher in practice. He plays everywhere except the field in games. He is a lot more patient than Dad so I am sure it will work out. We have a crazy schedule right now, counting today, we have 6 games in 9 days I think. He should get on the mound at the very least.
I don't get it. Kid gets called up to varsity and the kid don't play much but dad upset kid on varsity. My kid played but didn't make varsity until junior year and did most of his playing on jv which IMO was a waste because he slaughtered jv pitching and as an outfielder, threw out kids at first base from RF because jv's couldn't out run his arm. Maybe it was better to play as a jv on varsity then to not play at all as most of the handful of juniors did that were on varsity because when he finally got called up for good, he put himself in a position to win the starting job over the incumbents. Inspite of that, he still would've rather been named to the varsity from day one as a junior and try and win a spot there as opposed to getting guarenteed play on jv and some pinch hitting and running on varsity when he initially got called up. To even get a look at the varsity level as a freshman, the kid and dad should thank their lucky stars that he's on the radar as a freshman. Varsity coaches could care less about JV ball or freshman ball. The freshman in our school system go to the jr high across town so they only play freshman ball and don't even get a shot to even try out for varsity until they're sophomores.
Last edited by zombywoof
Second district game was Friday night. The boys had a great night, won 10-1, and 2B did as well - 2 for three with a triple, a single, and a walk, 5 RBIs. The triple went to straightaway center, about 400 feet! Too bad the fence is 405. Smile So we're 4-1 overall, 2-0 in the district. We have three district games in the coming week. Should be fun.
Tryouts start today as well in Missouri. We have about the same numbers as ranger689's son does. As per one of my previous posts, our school has like 14 Seniors coming out. We also have a new head coach (old JV coach was promoted). Cuts are made on Thursday. Should be an interesting week...They should at least get outside some this week as the weather is OK in STL. They probably won't be able to get onto infield as it is below freezing every night and highs only in mid 40's...

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.