Skip to main content

Prime9, I always ask, "How would I score it if my kid hit it" and "How would I score it if my kid was pitching" and "How would I score it if my kid didn't field it". You will converge on the right answer.

I just don't like parents begging for hits... I'm going to pretend like I do it for fun...
Last edited by JMoff
I've just discovered High School Baseball Web and I'm so impressed! My son is a Freshman at a little 2A school in small-town-USA, otherwise listed as Elkhart, Texas. My eldest son was a 4 year varsity starter for this team and now I'm starting down that road again with the younger. Reading the posts on HSBW of baseball parents and fans from all over the U.S. is going to be my new favorite pasttime. I'm learning something new about baseball in America - for example, the season doesn't start January 30th for everyone just because it starts for us! And in East Texas, we don't have the challenge of longer periods of inclimate weather. I'm very interested in learning how baseball fans and players deal with the cold, etc. I understand hot however, - believe me!

Thanks for letting me read your posts! Keep the info. coming! I know I'll enjoy reading everything you have to say about your team!
Ground Hog Day is here! Sorry, PUNXSUTAWNEY PHIL
says," 6 more weeks of winter for our Northern friends." However, GENERAL B. LEE says " Spring is around the corner here in the South."

I sure hope our little "weasel" friend knows his weather! We did get on the field for the 1st day of practice/tryouts yesterday. Wet today, but rains gone so looks like we will get outside today and tomorrow. Then more rain late week through Saturday. It will be spotty here until we get to Mid-March. 23 days until 1st game, for fellow Georgians who may be counting along.
Missouri High School starts March 1st with official tryouts. Sons high school has open gym three days a week for the next three weeks until official tryouts.

Son is a freshman who will go through his first high school tryout and his hoping for a jv outfield/pitcher spot. He has been working with his summer team three days a week since November so hopefully that has helped. And I think going through the tryout process for that team will help also. First game is around March 22nd.
Rain rain go away!
First scrimmage last Friday went well. 2B has kind of gotten pigeonholed in one position for the last 4 years on the HS team (guess which one Smile) but had an opportunity to move to the left side during the scrimmage. He did what he does, opened some eyes, and has been practicing there ever since. Doesn't matter where he plays, as long as he plays. But it was nice to see that some things aren't as set in stone as I had thought they would be.

Our second scrimmage was rained out on Tuesday, and it's not looking good for tonight.

No worries, though. Preseason Classic starts next Tuesday!
Tryouts begin March 1. Conditioning started in Novemeber and unofficial workouts at the local juco started last week. Has been working out with the Jr Legion team for about a month. 34 is 14 years old, a freshman, catcher, outfielder and 1B. Looking to make JV and contribute anywhere they need him. His older brother spent 3 years in the program and he just wants to get out there and play.
To watch or not to watch was one of the questions,

Welllll, my thought is as long as the parent is seen but not heard, and maybe down the foul lines, and its not all the time, and this is a biggy you ask the head coach if he minds, nicely, then what harm does it do?

Not only do I enjoy watching whats left of my sons high school days playing a sport be it practice or game but I really enjoy watching the other kids that he grew up with and that I coached. Finally not all coaches are perfect and I like to see what my sons are doing at practice and where they may improve even more within the scope of the objectives of the var coach.

The window to watch closes real quick after high school.
quote:
How many high school games does your state allow?

Gonyard;

Here in Georgia we are allowed 1 pre-season Offical Scrimmage game. We play 26 regular season games that end in April. Post Season is played in May with 5-rounds needed to win it all. Those are a best of 3-games format. So total number of possible games if all 5 post series went three would be 41 games. It's all over by May 30th, in time for Summer Travel teams that really begin play in Mid-May thru typically Mid-July.
Gonyard, for a couple of years there, 2B was one of the only ones on either his HS varsity team or his summer team who didn't drive. So I always had an excuse to watch. It was kind of a bummer when he started driving and that excuse was gone!

In FL we play 25 games total, including tournaments, during the regular season.
First day of tryouts here in AZ are in the books.

We have 1 scrimmage and a 20 game season, with the caveat that 2 games may be replaced by tournaments of 5-6 games each, so you could end up with 28 or 29 games in a regular season.

We have a crazy 'power point' system that determines which teams make the tournament. Each team selects 18 regular season games, which includes all conference games and selected out of conference games as their games that count. Some select tournament games, others don't.

Basically, win 10 games and you don't have to worry about opponents points and such. Win 9 and sweat it out.

With two more days of tryouts to worry about and significant rain forecast on Wednesday, we're getting ahead of ourselves.

Good news is that my daughter's Jr. High (8th grade) Softball team pulled an upset in their tournament first round game and will play the #1 seed tomorrow with nothing to lose...

For those of you in cold weather states, we actually play Jr. High softball from December-February and consider this 'normal'.
Last edited by JMoff
Agree with Jmoff. Our school normally hosts one tournament and attends another. This year will the 1st time in school history that the Varsity Baseball Team will go out of state to attend the Anderson Bat National Classic in Anaheim,CA during Easter break. Should be a great experience with the kids. Team may have time to tour Cal State Fullerton or nearby colleges if the time allows. Due to possible rain Wednesday, likely practice on Saturday for those who make varsity.

Jmoff, Hope your daughter had fun playing the #1 seed today!
Last edited by Ryanrod23
First preseason tournament game today! Home opener is Tuesday!

And now I'm going to brag a bit because this is where we can do it. Smile 2B is halfway done with his junior year. First semester grades: Honors Physics: A; Honors English: A, AP History: A, Trigonometry: A, Marine Science: A, Interactive Design: A. Cumulative unweighted GPA: 3.81 Percentile rank: 4th.

How about that? Smile
My son Sam (Sophomore), learned from the head coach he made his JV team at Dobson High last night. He will be a pitcher only...unless somebody gets hurt...like half the team! LOL!!!!

Learning he made the team was, up to this point in his short 16 years, the best thing that has ever happened to him...

I'm going to take a break from coaching this spring that I have not had for 10+ years...just to watch and to enjoy Sam's ups and downs with a very large smile on my face! All the while sitting in my lounge chair and critiquing the coach for every little thing he does...LOL!!!!
Last edited by Coach Waltrip
quote:
Originally posted by Coach Waltrip:
My son Sam (Sophomore), learned from the head coach he made his JV team at Dobson High last night. He will be a pitcher only...unless somebody gets hurt...like half the team! LOL!!!!

Learning he made the team was, up to this point in his short 16 years, the best thing that has ever happened to him...

I'm going to take a break from coaching this spring that I have not had for 10+ years...just to watch and to enjoy Sam's ups and downs with a very large smile on my face! All the while sitting in my lounge chair and critiquing the coach for every little thing he does...LOL!!!!

Now coach steve, who ever you are, you need to pay for your other son's (if you have one) college so that he become a MLB manager or General Manager
Well finally tonight high school baseball started for my sons team.Even though it was a close game thru 5 innings with a that has made the state playoffs,they finally took us to the wood shed in the 6th inning. After 5 innings it was 2-2 and ended up 10-2.May might think the wheels feel off but i didnt see it that way. I saw a team omainly soph and juniors hang in with a team much much older.So in all this people believe that it was a big fall but i see it as a learning experience for young men that will someday be making much bigger decisions in life. They will learn from it and be better players and young men. But the biggest thing is baseball is finally here and to see the smiles and big eyes again is great. My son was so pumped but disappointed because we took him out after the 2nd inning leading 1-0 in favor of letting the other pitchers learn how to deal with a pressure situation.God it was the greatest 2 words to hear tonight "Play Ball ". Please tell your young men to enjoy this rideas it will be gone in a short time. Good Luck everyone.
quote:
Originally posted by 2Bmom:
First preseason tournament game today! Home opener is Tuesday!

And now I'm going to brag a bit because this is where we can do it. Smile 2B is halfway done with his junior year. First semester grades: Honors Physics: A; Honors English: A, AP History: A, Trigonometry: A, Marine Science: A, Interactive Design: A. Cumulative unweighted GPA: 3.81 Percentile rank: 4th.

How about that? Smile

That's something to brag about mom...congratulations to your son, very impressive!
quote:
Originally posted by Coach Waltrip:

I've yet to agree with any coach or umpire 100%...

Not a problem since none of them are paid to do what I think they should do...

But I can still critique in my head!!!
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanrod23:
Congrats Coach Waltrip! Enjoy the games from the other side! See you around. Smile

Thanks Ryanrod...it's kinda seems odd not being involved, but I've already missed too much of his HS experience his Freshman year by coaching a different team and the window on these things is small, so I am going to enjoy it while I can...probably be seeing you around a ballfield this summer...Enjoy the ride while it lasts my friend...Enjoy it...
quote:
Originally posted by futurecoachjosh:

Now coach steve, who ever you are, you need to pay for your other son's (if you have one) college so that he become a MLB manager or General Manager

You're so right FCJ...thats why you need to get the highest grades possible so you can get into the best sports management program in the country...

I can see that front office job now...but only with good grades...including your German class. If you think German is hard what do you think dealing with a prima donna athlete is like?

Sam is working hard on the field, but your field of play is the classroom...you're doing great so far keep the streak going!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.