Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by playright:
quote:
Originally posted by GoHeels:
quote:
Originally posted by playright:
Walker is the best ss maybe in the state...

I'm aware of his talents, and understand that he is very nice player. However, I think there are probably three shortstops in the SED alone that would be considered elite in comparison.

JMO

I can appreciate your opinion but I honestly think people are under ratting walker, kid is a monster at ss and I don't think the SE has anybody head and shoulders better. Again, just my opinion.

Fair enough and obviously not knowing what options were available reasonable people might conclude that Player A recruited as a freshman to play for North Carolina might be a better prospect than Player B planning to go to ODU. I am almost sure that player going to NC for the last three years has not made 1st or 2nd team in the SED yet becasue there were two guys that the coaches thought were better. With all of that said I have no doubt that if Mr. Walker was wearing the GB uniform they would be a much stronger contender than they are.
quote:
Originally posted by paintboy:
Did you see all of the other shortstops games in the Beach district? This is probably what happens when everyone on the Drillers comes to the Kellam. The Beach district also have players who have game.

Thats kind of funny Paintboy considering most all of the consensus top Beach short stops all spent time in the Driller organization: Walker, Faison, Prizella, Davis and I'll throw Mattison (cox) into the mix. All good players!! Surely I did not list all the SS but thats 5 of them all from teams that were in the district playoffs.
quote:
Did you see all of the other shortstops games in the Beach district? This is probably what happens when everyone on the Drillers comes to the Kellam. The Beach district also have players who have game.

Yes, I did. I watched more games of other beach teams than I watched of Kellam's. A few picks are baffling.
You are correct that all Beach district does not equate to all SED. Some of the posts expressed disbelief that this player was not all beach.My post was to to point out that the beach has great players also. If you go back to last year I stated that Hunter Davis of PA should have been all district. I do believe that when a team has a transfer to an already loaded team that there can be some resentment. That surely would affect the voting.
quote:
Originally posted by ljc2505:
I looked at the weather, looks like thunderstorms starting around 3pm. They are calling for the same thru Friday. Would the Beach District games be played on Sat and Sunday?

Just speculating, but not even sure they are even allowed to play on Sunday. Pretty sure Saturday would be used, though.

Really hope they get the games in today. Makes it tough for not only the teams, but the folks working the event as well.
quote:
The point I was trying to make that because one player would have been all SED does not automatically mean he would be all Beach district.

Your point is well taken, and generally speaking you are right, and I agree with your position. BUT, right now, in the spring of 2012, there are three shortstops in the SED signed or verbally committed to Maryland, UNC, and Georgia Tech, respectively. There is a reason for it!

My previous commets are not intended to diminish any players' accomplishments. Being recruited to play college baseball at any level is a great accomplishment and speaks to one's ability. Especially a player who intends to further his career at a Division 1 school, in any conference.

I also think that "luv baseball" is right on the mark, on all accounts.

Best of luck to those remaining in the Beach tournament!
Last edited by GoHeels
quote:
Originally posted by GoHeels:
quote:
The point I was trying to make that because one player would have been all SED does not automatically mean he would be all Beach district.

Your point is well taken, and generally speaking you are right, and I agree with your position. BUT, right now, in the spring of 2012, there are three shortstops in the SED signed or verbally committed to Maryland, UNC, and Georgia Tech, respectively. There is a reason for it!

My previous commets are not intended to diminish any players' accomplishments. Being recruited to play college baseball at any level is a great accomplishment and speaks to one's ability. Especially a player who intends to further his career at a Division 1 school, in any conference.

I also think that "luv baseball" is right on the mark, on all accounts.

Best of luck to those remaining in the Beach tournament!

Goheels unless you know the whole situation, I wouldn't use the school a player committed to as support to the claim that those SE players are better, they are awesome players but they are not neccesarilly better than the top 3 or 4 beach SS.
Kellam played their typical game, solid pitching, solid defense, putting the ball in play, forcing errors by the opponents. I believe #9 for Kellam who has seen limited playing time this year had a couple of key hits and possibly 5 RBI’s. Lots of depth!

Salem, very improved team compared to earlier this season, especially offensively. Loved the enthusiasm from the team and the shutdown attitude of Staskey. FC manufactured a run in the 1st, Staskey settled in during the 2nd, appeared to pick up his pace a bit and was very effective from then on. Just felt like Salem was applying the pressure from the first pitch and didn't let up.

Disappointing we had 2, 10 run rule games, but I guess "it is what it is".

PA probably got as far as they could go considering their Pitching Staff, maybe a bit unfair and an oversimplification of the situation but , they got as far as Danielson could take them.

FC had a very young team and had a great year. When the freshman starting pitcher for FC started to get tired, I was really wishing Stubbe would make a visit to the mound, but he took the risk, kept him in and it did not go so well. Unfortunately by the time he went to the pen the game was getting out of hand. So, definitely if you were for FC you must have been thinking let’s do what we have done all year; have a guy throw once or maybe twice through their lineup, bring the next guy in to throw once through the line up, get to our closer in the 5th or 6th . Just didn’t go down that way. Bottom line is FC did not score many runs all year long and if Staskey put in a good performance, which he did; FC would have had to make this a low scoring game, which they didn’t.

At the end of the day I am not sure that the coaches made that much of a difference on the field considering the 10 run differentials, I would say the 2 better teams that day won.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by pirates21:

PA has 3 underclassmen to Cox’s 11. According to the program, Cox started 1 underclassman.

If I am a senior and this could possibly be my last game I would want to win it or loose it with the guys I played with. Fresh, soph’s…your time will come!

Cox had only 3 seniors this year. 1 started and played left field every game and the other 2 DH. The rest of the team are underclassmen.
Last edited by Bballboysx2
quote:
Originally posted by bball_lifer:
quote:
Originally posted by pirates21:
In a way this game was just like the PA vs. Cox game last year. Last year Cox started their #1 and PA did not. Last year many thought PA brought their Ace in too late and many could say the same about Cox this year. End result Cox won last year and PA won this year. Bottom line is in single elimination tournament ball you have to win the one your in first. Some could argue Cox broke that rule this year and suffered the consequences.

Good observation. Although I thought Cox's SP did a decent job, I was surprised McCabe didn't start on the mound.

It certainly is a roll of the dice for the higher seeded teams who they put on the mound, unless you have at least two top starting pitchers.

It will also be interesting to see how FC's pitching staff is at all affected by the 10-inning win.

Cox did not have any senior pitchers this year. The starting pitchers in rotation throughout the year were Nick Bay, sophmore and Larry McCabe, junior. The starting pitcher was the sophmore.
quote:
Originally posted by Bballboysx2:

PA has 3 underclassmen to Cox’s 11. According to the program, Cox started 1 underclassman.

If I am a senior and this could possibly be my last game I would want to win it or loose it with the guys I played with. Fresh, soph’s…your time will come!

Cox had only 3 seniors this year. 1 started and played left field every game and the other 2 DH. The rest of the team are underclassmen.

I think we have a definition issue here. The definition I am using for underclassman is Freshman's and Sophmore's. Cox's starting lineup was dominated by Juniors.
quote:
quote:

I think we have a definition issue here. The definition I am using for underclassman is Freshman's and Sophmore's. Cox's starting lineup was dominated by Juniors.

Understood. We did have a definition issue. All I was saying was that cox did start 3 sophmores regularly. Pitcher, 2nd baseman, catcher.
quote:
Just felt like Salem was applying the pressure from the first pitch and didn't let up.

Disappointing we had 2, 10 run rule games, but I guess "it is what it is".

PA probably got as far as they could go considering their Pitching Staff, maybe a bit unfair and an oversimplification of the situation but , they got as far as Danielson could take them.

FC had a very young team and had a great year. When the freshman starting pitcher for FC started to get tired, I was really wishing Stubbe would make a visit to the mound, but he took the risk, kept him in and it did not go so well. Unfortunately by the time he went to the pen the game was getting out of hand. So, definitely if you were for FC you must have been thinking let’s do what we have done all year; have a guy throw once or maybe twice through their lineup, bring the next guy in to throw once through the line up, get to our closer in the 5th or 6th . Just didn’t go down that way. Bottom line is FC did not score many runs all year long and if Staskey put in a good performance, which he did; FC would have had to make this a low scoring game, which they didn’t.

At the end of the day I am not sure that the coaches made that much of a difference on the field considering the 10 run differentials, I would say the 2 better teams that day won.

I agree that the two better teams won and coaching probably would not have mattered, but, who do you think picked those pitchers to start and who decided to keep them in? In Salems case who do you think called all those bunts that applied all that pressure to FC? I know the coaches get too much credit and too much blame, but you know what, 2nd guessing coaches is a big part of the enjoyment of the game at any level.
quote:
quote:

I dont really see what it matters if the kids are freshman thru senior. If they can play and have the mindset to do it on the Varsity stage, who cares. If you need to justify something with saying that they where all underclassman, maybe they just lost to a better team. Its that simple.
Who is picking who for tonites game Kellam vs Salem? I think it's going to be a great game, Salem has really improved and has the want to win, Coach Zell is a great coach and leader.

Kellam is a great team and has what it takes to win (pitching, defense, hitting & coaching). I'm looking for a great game. Both teams are going to Regionals so we will see...
quote:
Originally posted by BIG-D:
quote:
quote:

I dont really see what it matters if the kids are freshman thru senior. If they can play and have the mindset to do it on the Varsity stage, who cares. If you need to justify something with saying that they where all underclassman, maybe they just lost to a better team. Its that simple.

Big-D, I completely agree with you on your point.
The original post I made had nothing to do with the players on the field it had to do with the Cox strategy of putting a bunch of "underclassmen" in a varsity uniform at a district playoff game. The benefit gained by dressing 5 to 8 more players for the purpose of placing them in the dugout to make noise is far overshadowed by the distractions it causes and the reduction in focus that it creates to the ones that are actually playing. If I am a Senior; playing possibly my last game, I don’t need a bunch of 14&15 year olds climbing on the fences, I need a base hit in the bottom of the 7th! The game is won on the field not in the dugout. That’s just an opinion!

Maybe Bballboys has a different view, but I am with you if they can play it doesnt matter what class they are in and if they can't "yet" don't dress them up in costumes and start a circus! The 3 soph's bballboys mentioned did a nice job defensively for Cox all season.
Last edited by pirates21
quote:
Originally posted by ljc2505:
Both teams are going to Regionals so we will see...

That's the key point. Both teams are very competitive, and I'm sure they would want to win, but I'm not sure if either coach would invest too much into winning today. They may want to rest their top pitchers for Monday's regional games.

Kellam may still get Moynihan some innings today, but I'd be surprised if Musante starts for Salem.

These championship games are a crapshoot. Last year's game was exciting, but the year before was not IMO.
Last edited by bball_lifer
quote:
Kellam won 2-1, Mitch pitched all 7.

Great job on the mound by both starters. MM pitched all 7 and Salem's starter, Bevins(sp?) pitched the complete game. Difference were 4 errors committed by Salem's middle infield and a controversial balk call that lead to Kellam's winning run. No earned runs scored. Both teams will need to do a better job at the plate. And Coach Zell will need to stop trying to be too "creative" and running himself out of innings.
quote:
Difference were 4 errors committed by Salem's middle infield and a controversial balk call that lead to Kellam's winning run. No earned runs scored. Both teams will need to do a better job at the plate. And Coach Zell will need to stop trying to be too "creative" and running himself out of innings.

Balk call was absolutely correct but do agree Zell ran himself out of innings. Bivens pitched heck of a game, kellam had better hit the ball come monday.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.