Skip to main content

This thread will explode when the All Beach District team is published. I just found out this afternoon and I am in total disbelief at what I was told. Unbelievable is the word I want to say, but I will say WOW.
quote:
Originally posted by RedRaider87:
Pilot, I hear what your saying. We don't know what the HCs used for selection criteria and are they placing strictly by position. I asked a question earlier about head-to-head pitching vs. hitting and I expected more of a livley debate. When the rest of the list comes out things will get real interesting to say the least. All the old baseball heads out there (including you and I) know that when lists and selections/placements come out everyone will not be happy. As an old D1 player and selectee you know if you dont have pitching it dosn't matter how hard or how far you hit or how many stolen bases you have you must defend the run and minimize the errors and LHS just didn't have it.
Redbird, as always, you are correct, alot of non all beach selections will go on and have great careers at the next level, they always have, its funny, every player from each team knows who's the best, and who can beat you, thats why those kid's are pitched around or not pitched to at all, hope for good baseball tomorrow. also, all kids that made all beach had great years, taking nothing away from anyone,
the thing is , and alot of you don't understand this: ALL DISTRICT TEAMS ARE BASED OFF OF NUMBERS, and not the political aspect of things and who is the best player. Faison had a good season, but obviously there were others with better statistics. On the offensive side of things, he had a small slump that may have impacted him possibly making it. Pitching wise he did save Landstown a few times. A few loses , but more times than not he came through. As for the rest of the selections for Landstown, 3rd base was a toss up because I believe Tyler booth had a pretty Good season, hopefully driller can confirm? probably a difficult decision. Sinniger hit slightly under .400 and came in clutch in some ig rbi situations the entire season. He was a bit shaky at third base making a few errors in the beginning of the season, and towards the end really heating it up , defensively and offensively. the last 5 or 6 games of the season HE impressed me more than any of landstowns other players. As for outfield, everyone knows by now how blankenship was on fire the first 10 games or so hitting welllllllll over .500 closer to .600 , he also led the eagles in rbis . Hinton finished the season with Landstown's highest batting average, and had through most hits on the team. He hit about .480 ( numbers may vary a few thousandths based on recordkeeping ) and didn't make an error in the outfield this season.
quote:
Originally posted by playright:
quote:
Originally posted by hellosir:
hit about .480 ( numbers may vary a few thousandths based on recordkeeping ) and didn't make an error in the outfield this season.

No errors? Yes he did, had 2 against FC.

That's funny considering Landstown only had 1 error as a team against fc ... and it was a throwing error .... Don't believe my book , check the pilot..
quote:
Originally posted by diamonddad9:
Since many of you have seen the list, would you mind sharing it with the rest of us?

I wonder if anyone else has seen the entire list? As far as earlier post, until the list is published I never believe what I read. Last year there were early grumblings about 2nd team placement and then when the list was out the player(s) in question were 1st team at a different position, or utility, or dh. But can't lie, looking forward to seeing the official list and reading the funny papers here!
The stats in the Pilot are only as good as what is recorded. I can guarantee you the coach or dad scoring the game doesn't know the rules of scoring. I've seen numerous occasions of "oh, just give him a hit.". Do that once per week and you can raise a batting averge 80 points or more.

Then, the coach gets to review them. This year, I've heard of a 1 hitter becoming a no hitter after the coach's review.

The stats in the newspaper aren't worth the paper they are written on.
I can tell you this. Kellam only had 2 first teamers (MM & KM), very frustrating looking at the entire list. I would publish it, but do not want to start any problems on here, especially for the boys who have not been told yet.
quote:
Originally posted by diamonddad9:
Since many of you have seen the list, would you mind sharing it with the rest of us?
quote:
Originally posted by redbird5:
I can guarantee you the coach or dad scoring the game doesn't know the rules of scoring. The stats in the newspaper aren't worth the paper they are written on.

That's a rather presumptious guarantee. I'm sure some do and some don't. Also sure there is a little home town cooking now and then. But I've seen that in pro ball too. The stats in the paper is pretty much all we have to go on other than the games we all watched and saw how different players performed.
You mean to tell me you believe that the Varsity Baseball coaches 'only' know enough about the players to just go on some blown up stats published 1 time. If that is the case then you are making a huge insult and essentially deeming the Beach District coaches as incompetent. I just don’t agree with that, for at least the programs I am aware of. These guys know these players. You don't think the Kellam coaching staff goes around and watches these players? You don't think these coaches have received information about their opponents. My god through AAU the players all know each other for years before they step on a varsity baseball field.

If the process is so overwhelmed with favoritism then it is broken. I say give the ballots to the players and let them pick. It would mean more to the ones that got picked anyway, selected by their peers rather than a bunch of coaches relying on “some garbage” statistics!!

Who’s picked doesn’t mean much to me but I do think it does mean something to the players. Let’s make it real!!
Pirates21, if your last post is directed to my comments please go back and read what I said. I was referring to parents/fans watching the games, not coaches. I am not saying coaches use the stats published to pick the players. But I for one didn't go scout every player out there. Maybe you can name the starters on every team but I'm betting most of us can't. As for how the coaches do make their picks, I can't say. I have never been in the room when they did, so maybe you can enlighten the rest of us on the information and criteria used.
My bad rainout, I did read it wrong.
But I don't think naming all the starters on every team has much relevance to identifying the players that are likely candidates for honors such as all district.
Previous posts by knowledgeable members on this board likely surfaced most of the legitimate candidates, granted not all of them. I have not been in the room, and based on the posts so far, glad not to be. Should be a great day of baseball today!!
quote:
Originally posted by pirates21:
My bad rainout, I did read it wrong.
But I don't think naming all the starters on every team has much relevance to identifying the players that are likely candidates for honors such as all district.
Previous posts by knowledgeable members on this board likely surfaced most of the legitimate candidates, granted not all of them. I have not been in the room, and based on the posts so far, glad not to be. Should be a great day of baseball today!!

No problem..and you are right, great day for baseball!

I would politely disagree that not knowing all the kids is important. There are talented players that don't play on those couple of showcase/aau teams in the summer that many of the people in this forum are in together. And there are others mentioned that did play but their performance during school year wasn't impressive.

But more importantly, it's almost game time. Good luck to your kids during the tournament.
coaches tell the players, players talk, now Im not sure who won what, but from this thread and talking to some, PA has 2 1st teamer's, Landstown had 3, Kellam 2, FC 0, Cox at least 1, Green Run 1, Salem at least 1, again, a lot of players had outstanding years, maybe they should make it an allstar team and list the top 20 players, also, the Beach does have some very good SS's, Davis, Brown, Faison, Walker, Pezzella, Lamb, they're pretty good, and they're all Soph and Jr's, wow.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.