Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by playright:
quote:
Originally posted by DEEPTHREAT:
As usual the cox boys chanting on the side lines like a softball team. Later in the game when things got tight the ump had to move them from behind the plate.

Finally an umpire did something.

The worst part is the Cox coach not only approves but encourages that junk. He brings 10-15 "bench" players for every game just to make noise during opposing pitcher's delivery. Glad to see their antics weren't rewarded.
PA vs. Cox
Congrats to PA for surviving a back and forth boxing match. The game was a lot of fun to watch.
I don’t want to take any credit away from PA suggesting these items hurt Cox but I have to agree with the above comments, Cox stood out in a few ways:

Way too many players, the circus effect, could possibly be distracting to even the Cox players who are actually playing. All the other teams dressed about 20 players to Cox 25. PA has 3 underclassmen to Cox’s 11. According to the program, Cox started 1 underclassman.

If I am a senior and this could possibly be my last game I would want to win it or loose it with the guys I played with. Fresh, soph’s…your time will come!

I also thought a key to success was getting your best players on the field not your entire coaching staff. It looked like 5 or 6 of them encroaching on the first base line and as each inning passed they got closer and closer to the field. Possibly their players did not feel the tension of the coaches, but it sure felt like they were pressing hard. In the Kellam vs. OL game the Umpire kept everyone in the dugout.

I did not like the gestures made by the players, arm swings, etc., in my opinion over the top and a bit embarrassing. I once had a football coach that said when you “score a touchdown, act like you have been there before”. I understand times have changed and celebration is a bigger part of the game, and they were and should have been excited, but it sure looked like the Cox players had never made it to 2nd base before. Late in the game a PA player made it to 2nd and mocked the Cox gestures. Maybe I am being too critical?

In a way this game was just like the PA vs. Cox game last year. Last year Cox started their #1 and PA did not. Last year many thought PA brought their Ace in too late and many could say the same about Cox this year. End result Cox won last year and PA won this year. Bottom line is in single elimination tournament ball you have to win the one your in first. Some could argue Cox broke that rule this year and suffered the consequences.
quote:
Originally posted by pirates21:
In a way this game was just like the PA vs. Cox game last year. Last year Cox started their #1 and PA did not. Last year many thought PA brought their Ace in too late and many could say the same about Cox this year. End result Cox won last year and PA won this year. Bottom line is in single elimination tournament ball you have to win the one your in first. Some could argue Cox broke that rule this year and suffered the consequences.

Good observation. Although I thought Cox's SP did a decent job, I was surprised McCabe didn't start on the mound.

It certainly is a roll of the dice for the higher seeded teams who they put on the mound, unless you have at least two top starting pitchers.

It will also be interesting to see how FC's pitching staff is at all affected by the 10-inning win.
Last edited by bball_lifer
quote:
Originally posted by ljc2505:
From a secret source there will be some major upsets for All District. Looks like politics are being played instead of who really deserves the honors. Doesn't anyone get it? Once the results are posted I hope an uproar happens which hopefully will result in a new and CORRECT and RIGHT way of picking the true talents.

ljc2505 - I going to guess your nephew didn't make it?
quote:
From a secret source there will be some major upsets for All District. Looks like politics are being played instead of who really deserves the honors. Doesn't anyone get it? Once the results are posted I hope an uproar happens which hopefully will result in a new and CORRECT and RIGHT way of picking the true talents.

Oh no not another "secret source" conspiracy! Eek
IF YOU READ MY THREAD, I SAID THE SAME THING ON THE 18TH. IT'S ONLY A MATTER OF TIME AND THEN MANY WILL FOLLOW WITH THEIR OWN THOUGHTS. I ONLY SEE IT VERY ODD THAT A 15-1 TEAM ONLY HAD 2 1ST TEAM, AND COY, JUST SOME VERY WEIRD VOTING BY THE BEACH DISTRICT COACHES.
quote:
quote:
If Kellam got COY with 2 on the list, Landstown should get the BOZO coach award with the amount that they get every year.

No reason to attack landstown coach, I'm sure he doesn't wield influence over the other beach coaches. Can't fault the guy for trying to represent his players, right or wrong that's his job.
1. the scorekeepers at games are PAID
2. there are computer programs that can be used
3. every game the scorebook could be downloaded to
to a master list
4. the baseball admin person could compile the list
5. a pre-determined criteria could be in place
(how many at bats, innings played, etc)

The computer spits out an answer and politics is removed. You wouldn't even need a coaches meeting!

Besides if nobody really cares except the kids and their parents, there doesn't need to be Coach of the Year.....no meeting needed!

Let's advance to technology!!!!
http://hamptonroads.com/2012/0...d&utm_medium=twitter

All-Beach District

Player of the Year: Larry McCabe, Cox.

Coach of the Year: St. Clair Jones, Kellam.

First Team:
Mitch Moynihan, Kellam, pitcher and outfield
Brent Musante, Salem, pitcher
Christian Hartley, Green Run, catcher
Joel Jenkins, Bayside, first base
Kyle Morrison, Kellam, second base
Jacob Sinniger, Landstown, third base
Hunter Davis, Princess Anne, shortstop
Alex Blankenship, Landstown, outfield
Will Hinton, Landstown, outfield
Larry McCabe, Cox, utility
Marc Joe, Princess Anne, designated hitter

Second Team:
Sam Sinnen, Kellam, pitcher
Larry McCabe, Cox, pitcher
Chris LIvers, First Colonial, catcher
Kurt Sinnen, Kellam, first base
Ian Norris, Salem, second base
Jeff Orzell, First Colonial, third base
Nick Faison, Landstown, shortstop
Will Malibon, Cox, outfield
Jacob Futrell, Cox, outfield
John Pezzella, Kempsville, outfield and utility
David Meehan, Salem, outfield
Christian Vylonis, Kellam, designated hitter
Some thoughts.
1. Computers don't always tell the whole story.
2. I love Mccabe but POY, first team and 2nd team? Thats just stupid.
3.1st team for a DH who does not play D in high school? Really?
4. 1st team for a SS suspended by his own team 3 games?
5.Does Defense ever count? FC 3rd & Kvill outfielder are good hitters but made lots of errors.
6.Frzll for FC was the ONLY reason they were 2nd place. He is not on either team?
7. You are right, Ltown coach must be better at meetings than practice, he gets the most out of his votes but not as many wins as he should.
quote:
If Kellam got COY with 2 on the list, Landstown should get the BOZO coach award with the amount that they get every year.

Continually amazed at the **** that gets posted on this site. We are still dealing with what amounts to volunteers, based on "salary" vs time spent, and kids. Fortunately for us mere mortals, there is no forum to rip us on our day to day performance at our job. Apparently, some of you are beyond reproach.
So a couple glaring issues, both Walker and Faison are better than Davis, Sinnen is top pitcher in the beach, Jenkins hit 4 hr's at bayside buying doubt he hit over .200 I've seen him strike out a ton, and no way landstown third baseman is first team, I like him and he did a good job for a freshman but no where near first team. Doubling up positions or placing a kid on both first and second team? I think coach jones is one of the best coaches around but stubbe did more with less and should have got COY.
quote:
So a couple glaring issues, both Walker and Faison are better than Davis, Sinnen is top pitcher in the beach, Jenkins hit 4 hr's at bayside buying doubt he hit over .200 I've seen him strike out a ton, and no way landstown third baseman is first team, I like him and he did a good job for a freshman but no where near first team. Doubling up positions or placing a kid on both first and second team? I think coach jones is one of the best coaches around but stubbe did more with less and should have got COY.

Coach Jones may have been able to get Sinnen 1st team if he didn't have MM as pitcher and outfield. Maybe they should have just put up 3 pitchers vice 2.
quote:
Originally posted by zrxkuma:
quote:

Continually amazed at the **** that gets posted on this site. We are still dealing with what amounts to volunteers, based on "salary" vs time spent, and kids. Fortunately for us mere mortals, there is no forum to rip us on our day to day performance at our job. Apparently, some of you are beyond reproach.

Its tongue in cheek man! All I am saying is that if he really has all the talent why isn't he winning. Somethings gotta give.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by zrxkuma:
quote:

Its tongue in cheek man! All I am saying is that if he really has all the talent why isn't he winning. Somethings gotta give.

Because Landstown didn't have any pitching. That's why they couldn't shut anyone out the entire year.And that's why when they started to face decent hitting teams , they were screwed. That plus the fact that the bottom half of their dang lineup couldn't hit water falling out of a boat.
First off let me start by agreeing with deepthreat that the landstown coaches constantly get a few players every year on the all district teams but never really wins a little fishy. I have been following the beach for almost 20 years and I have a problem with the way in which the all district team is choosen.

Walker not 1st or 2nd? that is a little odd considering he is deffiently the best ss in the beach. Easily should have atleast been over the faison kid from landstown. Granted the faison kid is good but I feel that his talent is a little overrated. Not saying the kid is not a good baseball player just a little overrated.

Stubbe from FC should have been COY although Jones did an excellent job, Stubbe basically rebuilt and did what no one thought FC would be able to do this year.

I would say the outfield for 1st was very solid. The hinton kid is a stud. Playing in the district tournament with a sparined pcl? and still smoking a ball to right center hobling towards a double. Reminds me of the heart the Hurrell kid showed about 3 years ago playing with a completely torn hamstring.

POY- was an excellent choice mcabe really deserved it

Lastly I do not agree with the same player being choosen for two positions on 1st or 2nd team there are many other players very deserving of these possible spots on the all district teams.

P.S I am not trying to bash any of the players I am simply stating an opinionated view.
Faison overrated? That's pretty funny, not a harder working or better attitude in a kid. Place the game rite every time. McCabe is deserving of poy but many would argue Faison could have been in the running. Landstown is probably in last place without him, 5 or 6 pitching wins buy never started a game? The 4 or 5 times I seen him he came thru in huge pressure situations. Overrated is a terrible definition to use for that young man. Walker is the best ss maybe in the state but Faison does more of everything and anything, the kids a winner and should be admired for his work ethic and character!
quote:
Originally posted by redbird5:
quote:
... Walker is the best ss maybe in the state...

Let's not get carried away.

He and Faison are best in the Beach but the state is littered with high level D1 guys at SS.

Agree. State has many top level talented SS's. I would have to say Walker was best in beach district with Davis/Faison 2a/b.
quote:
Faison overrated? That's pretty funny, not a harder working or better attitude in a kid. Place the game rite every time. McCabe is deserving of poy but many would argue Faison could have been in the running. Landstown is probably in last place without him, 5 or 6 pitching wins buy never started a game? The 4 or 5 times I seen him he came thru in huge pressure situations. Overrated is a terrible definition to use for that young man. Walker is the best ss maybe in the state but Faison does more of everything and anything, the kids a winner and should be admired for his work ethic and character!

Well said.

Although I'm not crazy about the term "overrated" when describing high school kids, it's certainly not a term I would describe for Faison.

Knowing the young man and his family for several years now, what impressed me the most this season is that he didn't let his foot off the gas after he verbally agreed to his offer at D1 Norfolk State. In fact, he turned it up a notch or two. He didn't get a big head, and in fact he increased his already tremendous work ethic on the field, in the cages and in the gym. He's an excellent teammate, with not an ounce of "superstar-itis", which frankly has been a problem at Landstown in previous years.
Congrats to everyone on the list.
Disappointed that Nick Walker is not on the list, just feels like a huge oversight. Great Job this year Nick!!

Not taking anything away from St., but they were favored coming in and yes did the job, but Stubbe got the most out of a young Patriot team. Congrats Coach Stubbe and FC!!

As far as POY that is the biggest honor. I do follow Cox and Kellam and saw both teams play quite a bit this year and have coached/followed most of the players on both teams for years.

For what it is worth, taking nothing away from the great season McCabe had (Congrats Larry awesome job!!!);

In my opinion, Moynihan should have received the award. I guess it’s hard for me to completely separate the total accomplishments from the last two years. If Moynihan was the best player on the best team for the last two years and in his senior year lost the honor to a junior that was on a middle of the pack team that never beat you, while you were called upon time and time again to win big games on the mound( and you did) and produce runs at the plate during big games (and you did) and were consistently over 2 years the go to guy; leading your team to the Regions twice, how would you feel? Great Job Mitch!!! Looking forward to watching you as a Monarch!!!

And Coaches, “get serious” you can’t make Moynihan First team Pitcher and Outfielder and McCabe “Utility”, and give POY to “Utility”. If you believe McCabe is POY then give him the respect he deserves, first team Outfield and Pitcher. I am reasonably certain both pitched, played outfield, and a little First Base. That’s not “utility” that’s a Lefty!!

By the way What # in the book is Utility “11” right after “9” right field, and “10” DH!!
Really?? just ridiculous.

Just keeping it real!!
Great post,and how come Brown, SS from FC isnt mentioned anywhere? in my opinion, the best SS this year in order were, Walker, Faison, Brown, Pezzella, then Davis,cause he missed several district games. Coach Stubbe is easily the coach of the year, that was easiest pick of all,and the Catcher form Kellam got 2nd team DH?, did anyone run on him this year, so if he hit that good, and no one stole off him, wouldn't that make him the best?? again, a lot of players had great years, make it an all star team and go with top 20 players, and 3 pitchers, cause Frizell should be on the list, somewhere.
quote:
Originally posted by GoHeels:
quote:
Walker is the best ss maybe in the state...

I'm aware of his talents, and understand that he is very nice player. However, I think there are probably three shortstops in the SED alone that would be considered elite in comparison.

JMO

I can appreciate your opinion but I honestly think people are under ratting walker, kid is a monster at ss and I don't think the SE has anybody head and shoulders better. Again, just my opinion.
I keep seeing a lot of back and forth on this issue. This kid should have been or this kid didn’t do as well. Correct me if I'm wrong, and I have been known to be, but don’t all the coaches vote for this. It’s not one coach saying this is the way it is, deal with. They all sit down, present their candidates and vote. Now as parents, we all want to see that our child/player was the best. Because some parents eyes haven’t opened completely when it comes to their kid’s performance. But if the collective opinions of all the coaches in the district say these are our 1st and 2nd teams, then where can we as parents or fans of the game disagree. Congratulations to all the selected players and coaches. No matter what is said on this site, you deserve what you earned.
Pirate, great post on POY ! McCabe should have received alot of consideration based on his physical performance on the field, but Moynihan was the best player in the Beach District this season. Mitch also carries himself with a ton of class towards his teammates, coaches, umpires, opposing players and most importantly the game !!!

Nick Walker was the most feared hitter in the Beach District and subsequently the most pitched around hitter as well...

Pilot, Take a breath fella... this too shall pass...
quote:

I never once said he does not work hard however work ethic, attiude, and character as nothing to do with your overal play so I will stick with my view. Walker should have made second team at least over the faison kid as shortstop.Faison is an excellent ball player but POY is way out of the question. I do not even believe he was the best on the team this year with hinton blankenship and the young freshman sullinger? I believe numbers.
quote:
Originally posted by granbyfan:
BIG-D

It would be nice if coaches voted for the best but thats not always the case. If player A and player B are close coach A will vote for player C so that player B gets less votes. Thats why so many player C's are on the team. Just a big bite of a reality hamburger.

I'm not saying that you are wrong in your train of thought, but I would hope that you are. I would like to think that the coaches for a Varsity Baseball team would not be so vengful, that they would select a player who didnt deserve it as a whole group. Even if what you say is true, that would still be maybe two votes for player C. Thats not enough. You still need a majority wich would be 6 of 11. I would think that with the majority vote needed, they would still get it right.
quote:
Originally posted by BeachBall78:
quote:

I never once said he does not work hard however work ethic, attiude, and character as nothing to do with your overal play so I will stick with my view. Walker should have made second team at least over the faison kid as shortstop.Faison is an excellent ball player but POY is way out of the question. I do not even believe he was the best on the team this year with hinton blankenship and the young freshman sullinger?
I believe numbers.

Oh I see new member with 3 post all bad mouthing the Faison kid. I doubt you even know the real numbers, I'm sure you have no idea what your talking about.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.