Skip to main content

Since every other district seems to be doing it , I just wanted to see the thoughts on the beach . my team would go as such:

POY - Nick Walker
Runner-up - Larry Mccabe

P - Moynihan / Frizzell
P - Mccabe
P - S. Sinnen
C - Hartley / Livers
1B - K. Sinnen / Tharp
2B - Morrison
SS - Walker
3B - Boothe / Sinneger
Util - Faison / Stasky / Satoski
OF - Hinton
OF - Malbon
OF - Blankenship
DH - Stone / Windom / Pizzella
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

One has to believe seniors will get the nod over underclass men, it's may he the right thing to do unless the underclasman was head and shoulders better. As far as pitcher stasky, Sinnen, and Moynihan where the top in the beach, frizzle would be a sure thing for second team as a pitcher. It was good to see him playing again. Just my opinion
I think these conversations are great to see who's doing well thru out the District, but I have a hard time believing a team should have 3 all beach players if they have 7 or 8 loses and Im looking at head to head competition against the top teams and Green Run score 1 unearned run against FC in 2 games. Of course we don't have the stats or everyone was at every game, but if a team comes in 2nd with 3 losses and they have no 1 on 1st team and they beat the 3 teams they only had 1 game against?? just saying, somehow FC came in 2nd, but how with no one on 1st team. The Beach has a lot of under class man, next year we should look like the SED with all the pitching and great players coming back, Don't know if Luke Wollett from FC is 1st team all beach, but he is the toughest guy Ive seen play, he gets dirty and after it, fun to watch him play, and Hunter Davis from P.A has really started to play like a top College recruit
I should mention that Green Run played alot of close games and the team was better then their record, if they would have won a few more games then I think they had several players worth consideration. Hartly the the catcher is someone the "WEB" will follow the next few years cause he had a great year and should expect more in the next 2 years, as from the SED thread, teams that win should have more players then teams that didnt't. Overall, the Beach district tournament will have a few surprizes. my only locks for ALL BEACH are Sinnen at Pitcher, Walker at SS, Morrison at 2nd, Mordihan for OF, Faison at Utility, Blakenship in OF, McCabe as?? The rest is open for debate.
quote:
Originally posted by Pilots81:
I think these conversations are great to see who's doing well thru out the District, but I have a hard time believing a team should have 3 all beach players if they have 7 or 8 loses and Im looking at head to head competition against the top teams and Green Run score 1 unearned run against FC in 2 games. Of course we don't have the stats or everyone was at every game, but if a team comes in 2nd with 3 losses and they have no 1 on 1st team and they beat the 3 teams they only had 1 game against?? just saying, somehow FC came in 2nd, but how with no one on 1st team. The Beach has a lot of under class man, next year we should look like the SED with all the pitching and great players coming back, Don't know if Luke Wollett from FC is 1st team all beach, but he is the toughest guy Ive seen play, he gets dirty and after it, fun to watch him play, and Hunter Davis from P.A has really started to play like a top College recruit

I don't have stats on every player , but obviously I follow Landstown closely , & i keep track of Kellam , Salem, and green run because of their proximity to me. MANY of kellams players could honestly be up for for consideration because of the way that they hit. Salem has a few guys that will be nominated , but i don't see Windom beating out Malbon who has scored A TON of runs , and either of the Landstown outfielders , including blankenship , who is one of the leaders in the region in rbi's , and Hinton, who with Morrison according to the pilot and stat trackers throughout the beach have been battling at the top for 2 of the highest batting averages. Both hit about .500 which should get Morrison some player of the year talk too, and Hinton might have the highest On base percentage in the region , with it being about .750 . Malbon is easily one of the leaders in stolen bases also , might have about 15+ . 3rd base and first base are the two positions that i want to see who ends up winning because they are TRULY tossups between multiple quality players; DH also is one of those positions. Coach of the year hands down goes to Coach Stubbe for me , he's done so much this year with a team down in talent compared to the past .
Hellosir, where did you get public stats on any of landstown players? Thought I missed something in the pilot but not a single landstown kid was in any catagories. As for Hinton obp I think your number is greatly inflated and I would think blankenship is leading landstown in average and rbi's and Faison is probably near the top in the beach in runs scored I wish landstown coach would send his stats in, blankenship has at least 6-7 doubles and probably as many triples.
As for POY I think McCabe has done the most for his team and has had a monster year. Others in the running stasky has been big for Salem but I honestly can't think of any others off hand. Kellam will be well represented but no POY candidates last year Moynihan was huge this year he's had a ton of help not saying he had a bad year just saying many others contributed greatly.
quote:
Originally posted by playright:
I would have Sinnen, stasky, Moynihan as the pitchers. As for POY walker has been real good but McCabe has been more important to his team so I would give the nod to McCabe. Faison is the utility man, no question and the rest looks correct.

POY could definitely be Walker. As far as pitching, not sure what has been going on at Salem. Stasky hasn't put in many innings/appearances. They have a sophmore/junior kid that is 7 or 8-1. Think he would have to be in the conversation.
I think Walker is a great player, maybe one of the best in the state but when I think POY I think who made the greates impact on their teams success. While no doubt Walker contributed, I think Cox with out McCabe is maybe a .500 team this year. Kellam is just to good 1 thru 9, Morrison hits 7 or 8 and is hitting in the .500 neighborhood, I would venture all of kellam is close to if not above .300. Again, I think Walker is an awesome player on a "stacked" team but McCabe has meant more to the success of his team. As for Stasky, he's hitting for avg. and power, pitched a no hitter and has face only the top teams, Musante has done a great job but he's a Soph. and has not been better than Sinnen, Stasky, or Moynihan. These are just my opinions. If they had a "break out player" award it would go to Morrison, he's done a great job this year.
Although playing on a "stacked" team, Mitch Moynihan (2011 co-POY in the Eastern Region) gets my vote for 2012 Beach Player of the Year. Nick Walker is an awesome talent, but is not this year's POY in the District. Mitch's numbers thru 19 games: Pitching:
32 innings, 9 appearances, 6-0, 1.09 ERA, 42 K's, 5 BB's.
Hitting:
448 BA., .690 Slugging, 1.257 OPS, 22 RBI.

Larry Edwards is defintely having the kind of year worthy of POY honors. Congrats to Larry !
Nick Faison has to be included in the conversation as well with everything that he does for Landstown. Faison should be the 1st team Utility player.
Agree with Driller on POY. Mitch came in co-POY and is the top dog on the top team. Top players and Top teams go hand in hand. Larry McCabe has had a great season and quite possibly without him Cox might be no better than 500. Others that warrant consideration for District honors; certainly not a comprehensive list:

Pitchers: S.Sinnen, Moynihan, McCabe, Stasky, Frizzell, Danielson
Outfield: Moynihan,McCabe,Blankenship,Centerfielder for Salem sorry I don't know his name, Malboun, Frizell
Infield: Walker,Morrison, Faison, Prezella, K. Sinnen,Tharp, Wollet
Catcher: livers, heard GR catcher is good did not see them play this year

Kellam 5, FC 3 Salem 2, Landstown 2, Cox 2, Kempsville 2, PA 1, GR 1

I am sure there are several other deserving players and other factors that determine 1st and 2nd team, my picks:

LP Moynihan
RP S.Sinnen
Reliver: Frizzell
C Livers
1B K Sinnen
Infielder Walker,Faison,Morrison
OF Moynihan,McCabe,Blankenship, (toss up on the Malboun and Salem CFer)
DH - pick from the above list
quote:
Originally posted by driller:
Although playing on a "stacked" team, Mitch Moynihan (2011 co-POY in the Eastern Region) gets my vote for 2012 Beach Player of the Year. Nick Walker is an awesome talent, but is not this year's POY in the District. Mitch's numbers thru 19 games: Pitching:
32 innings, 9 appearances, 6-0, 1.09 ERA, 42 K's, 5 BB's.
Hitting:
448 BA., .690 Slugging, 1.257 OPS, 22 RBI.

Larry Edwards is defintely having the kind of year worthy of POY honors. Congrats to Larry !
Nick Faison has to be included in the conversation as well with everything that he does for Landstown. Faison should be the 1st team Utility player.

Those are great numbers. Curious what Sinnen's numbers look like, do you have those as well? And what did Walker's numbers at the plate look like?
quote:
Originally posted by playright:
I think Walker is a great player, maybe one of the best in the state but when I think POY I think who made the greates impact on their teams success. While no doubt Walker contributed, I think Cox with out McCabe is maybe a .500 team this year. Kellam is just to good 1 thru 9, Morrison hits 7 or 8 and is hitting in the .500 neighborhood, I would venture all of kellam is close to if not above .300. Again, I think Walker is an awesome player on a "stacked" team but McCabe has meant more to the success of his team. As for Stasky, he's hitting for avg. and power, pitched a no hitter and has face only the top teams, Musante has done a great job but he's a Soph. and has not been better than Sinnen, Stasky, or Moynihan. These are just my opinions. If they had a "break out player" award it would go to Morrison, he's done a great job this year.

Stasky is definitely the best pitcher on Salem's team. But if you look at this record (2-2) he hasn't been used as the number one. I was discussing the Pitchers for district. I don't care what they are hitting if the are 7-1/8-1. And not sure how "but he's a sophomore" fact should be a reason to leave him off the list. That's actually another reason it's more impressive.
rain outs do sux,
Nick Walker's offensive numbers for 20 games :
.375 BA, 8 2b's, 4 HR's (5, but one game with a 3-HR rained out, now that sux !), 20 RBI, 29 Runs, 10 SB's, .712 Slg., 1.248 OPS. Since early in the year Nick has been pitched around quite a bit as seen by his 22 free passes on the year.

Sammy Sinnen's pitching stats for the Beach District regular season:
38.3 inn., 8 appearances (6 starts), 6-1 record, 53 K's, 13 BB's, .91 ERA. Two other nice notables, pitched 34 scoreless innings, 8 runners picked off.
quote:
Originally posted by driller:
rain outs do sux,
Nick Walker's offensive numbers for 20 games :
.375 BA, 8 2b's, 4 HR's (5, but one game with a 3-HR rained out, now that sux !), 20 RBI, 29 Runs, 10 SB's, .712 Slg., 1.248 OPS. Since early in the year Nick has been pitched around quite a bit as seen by his 22 free passes on the year.

Sammy Sinnen's pitching stats for the Beach District regular season:
38.3 inn., 8 appearances (6 starts), 6-1 record, 53 K's, 13 BB's, .91 ERA. Two other nice notables, pitched 34 scoreless innings, 8 runners picked off.

22 passes is incredible. Sinnen's numbers are POY worthy as well. Thanks for the input. That team is just loaded.
Typically a very well disciplined team. Kellam's free passes 144 to 94 K's is impressive. Kyle Porter and Kurt Sinnen had 20 and 25 free passes respectively for the season.
Although the players get a ton of credit for this teams success this season... IMO, Kellam's coaching staff, led by St. Clair Jones deserves a huge shout out for building such a strong program !
Just wondering how did the top hitters in the Beach District perform when facing the top pitchers (i.e. Walker vs. Frizell/McCabe, McCabe vs. Moynihan/Sinnen, Hinton/Faison/Blankenship vs. Sinnen etc…)? Did they make solid contact or were they overpowered by the pitching. I am really curious to the observations of the regular Beach District posters that have watched games this season.
quote:
Originally posted by bball_lifer:
From the Landstown Baseball website:

Alex Blankenship- 1st team outfield
Will Hinton- 1st team outfield
Jacob Sinniger- 1st team 3rd base
Nick Faison- 2nd team Shortstop

Voting is done already? congratulations to those young men!, Faison 2nd team? Really? would have thought he would be 1st team something. Just my opinion but I think he is one of the top players in the area let alone the beach district.
quote:
Originally posted by diamonddad9:
I agree playright, he is an outstanding athlete, 6.3 runner and probably 88-90 across the diamond. Truly one of the top SS in the state. He's gonna go big places!

I agree that Faison is talented but not sure about the 6.3. That's Justin Upton speed which I haven't seen out of him.
quote:
Originally posted by redbird5:
quote:
Originally posted by diamonddad9:
I agree playright, he is an outstanding athlete, 6.3 runner and probably 88-90 across the diamond. Truly one of the top SS in the state. He's gonna go big places!

I agree that Faison is talented but not sure about the 6.3. That's Justin Upton speed which I haven't seen out of him.

You are correct redbird, he has never ran 6.3
Nick is a great kid. Wondering if the Landstown folks have a view point on this.

f you were unaware of Landstown record and just read the last few posts,4 all districts and all the hard work rubbing off on the other players you would expect the team to be at or near the top of the Team results. What went wrong? or is the expectation that it's going to come together in the tournament?
I know very little about Landstown's players but baseball is a funny game. You can be great but you get to bat once every 9 or 10 players. You can only pitch so many innings. You can't catch the hot shot to 3rd from SS etc.

It could be that the reason they won half their games instead of 3 or 4 is becasue this young man is that good. Does he change them from a cellar dweller to the middle of the pack?
lol, 3 players all beach, and their BEST player is 2nd team, LANDSTOWN SCORED 0 EARNED RUNS AGAINST F.C, they scored 3 runs on bad pick offs, FC didnt have any pitcher 1st team, so good job getting 3 players 1st team on a team that lost 7/8 games, lets hope they put all that 1st team talent to good use in the beach district tournament,
quote:
Originally posted by luv baseball:
I know very little about Landstown's players but baseball is a funny game. You can be great but you get to bat once every 9 or 10 players. You can only pitch so many innings. You can't catch the hot shot to 3rd from SS etc.

It could be that the reason they won half their games instead of 3 or 4 is becasue this young man is that good. Does he change them from a cellar dweller to the middle of the pack?

My response by no means is to be critical of any player, I know 3 of the 4 Landstown players listed and all are good players. I think it will be interesting to see the entire list.
I am not being serious with this remark but if the ratio is you get 1 all district player for every 2 wins then I guess Kellam will have 7.5 players named!!
Pilots81, what is your definition of "Best Player" remember that the selection criteria is by Coach committee and not just the team's HC. Is the best player the fasteset, strongest, throws the hardest/fastest, level headed (not prone to throwing helmets, glaring at Blue). Is the selection process Subjective or Objective. Does selection really matter to move on to the next level? How well do we as outsiders (non High School VB District HC's) know the players and what they really bring to the table. Oh how I love this time of year. Smile
Best Player??? come on now, its Faison, who is 1 guy on landstown that can beat you?? who is the 1 player coaches fear?? Faison, from every game i saw and read about, Faison was the man, so no disrespect to the 3 players that made all beach, good for them, THEY LOST 7/8GAMES. So did those players go 9 for 10 against the 3 teams that didnt make the playoffs? they played FC 1 time, the game was huge, they scored 0 earned runs, so??? just saying, how was the ALL BEACH picked? did every game have the same weight?? just asking, and I have no idea who was all Beach, just the 3 from landstown, and in my Opinion, Faison was one of best in Beach, and he is 2nd team, that is funny.
Pilot, I hear what your saying. We don't know what the HCs used for selection criteria and are they placing strictly by position. I asked a question earlier about head-to-head pitching vs. hitting and I expected more of a livley debate. When the rest of the list comes out things will get real interesting to say the least. All the old baseball heads out there (including you and I) know that when lists and selections/placements come out everyone will not be happy. As an old D1 player and selectee you know if you dont have pitching it dosn't matter how hard or how far you hit or how many stolen bases you have you must defend the run and minimize the errors and LHS just didn't have it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.