Skip to main content

fanofgame- Great news. As you know, I am with the Nats and living in DC. If he needs a little bargaining leverage with some of the Hagerstown front office people...I'll see what I can do . And if he wants to come into the city, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my contact info. Hagerstown is about an hour from me.

That's great stuff! 

Extended season doesn't mean anything other than there aren't enough spots in april until the ss teams open up.  All it takes is an injury to open up the opportunity and this is just about the time those things begin to happen.

I am not sure that any of us really know what the future holds for our players, I know I don't. Jusst keep pluggin away, be a good teammate and good things will happen!

Thanks everyone.Only people that have been through it have the slightest clue.

CD has been such a support.

JH  We are coming to DC in July as my daughter lives there.We were going to see Matt play either there in Hagerstown or short season Auburn about three hours away.

would love to meet up and see you at a game.

Front office help HMM   that sounds very tempting.

Matt understands the business of Minor league baseball,he has a great attitude and work ethic. God will continue to put him where he is suppose to be.

It is unfortunate for the injured players,and you feel bad when your son gets an opportunity over someone elses misfortune.But the games have to be played and they have to fill the spots.

Nothing personall,its a business.

Honestly the Nationals have been great.They teach the game,they encourage and build up the players.So different than college experience.

Like dan says we have to rejoice with the little victories our boys achieve as it is tough out there.

Again thanks for the support and well wishes.much appreciated.If it last a day, a week,however long have to enjoy the moment.

I saw 42 yesterday.I really loved it.Talk about adversity and fortitude.Jackie Robinson was a special player in so many aspects.Plyed the game the right way.

Well, after a few weeks of waiting Bum, Jr. got promoted to high-A today.  The stats in that league (California League) are not pitcher-friendly due to the high altitude but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  Regardless, I'm proud of what he's done so far.

Fan of Game, I share your joy.  Great news for your son.

Son getting sent back to extended.Injured player who they tht had a broken foot didnt.He was 1-12 with walk and hit by pitch.Not to get into minor league politics,and blah blah,but he never had a chance to begin with.Roster was made out of ST and he wasnt on it.

Unless your a top prospect getting at bats every day,its tough.

He is fine with it,he will have a shot to go to short A after extended,if not he comes home and starts his life after baseball.

I could say a lot more but it is what it is.He gets it.He was an undrafted free agent,the bottom of the pecking order.Most likely its coming to an end.

baseball has been good in many ways,exhausting in others  God is in control and our trust is with him always.

Just wanted my baseball friends to hear it from me,before its posted.

Unless your a top prospect getting at bats every day,its tough.

Of course, you are right!  It can feel like $hit to the non-top-prospect (and parents), but you are right (again) later when you said, "it is what it is."

One thing that has helped me is to look at things as a 3rd party observer...as an "investor."  If a team has invested $1M on a player, wouldn't you expect them to give preference or extra chances?  I suppose nearly all of us would.  But its tough being on the other end.

Doesn't make it "right," but "it is what it is."

I applaud your willingness to share openly with us.  Other than the parents of a Buster Posey-type, we've experienced this feeling too.  (And BTW, having spent a week in Taiwan for baseball with Buster's mom and grandma...they too went through a bit of this a while ago too.  ).

I think all we're hoping for is an "opportunity."  Different definitions of that for different people.  Hang in there...we're with you!  

Hi Fan,

Thank you for the update, was wondering how Matt was doing. Many are finding out how short the stay can be, two of son's ex team mates from over the years have already been released. One did not make the roster and he went in the 26th round last year. He is hoping another team will pick him up, in the meantime he signed with an Indie team.There is always an endless supply of new young talent coming each year

Son is about two weeks from hanging up his cleats as his last year is winding down. Looking forward to having him back in the area after 4 years.

From a slightly different perspective...or angle...

Our son played on the 2009 Fort Wayne TinCaps.  They were so good, they were named the 2009 pro "team of the year" by at least one publication.  Won over 100 games and swept to the MWL championship.

They were good...and I mean freakin' good.  I saw 'em a few times.  Amazingly good!  All kinds of MWL and franchise records set by that team and players on that team. 

There were high draft picks on that team including 1st round guys, but not one of those players has made it in a big way.  Not one.  3 or 4 have played (or currently do) in the big leagues...but I'd be surprised if you've heard of them.

Just kind of shows how tough this really is to "make it."  Hang in there...everyone.  

justbaseball,

Thats why I shared because unless you have seen it,been through it with your son,people dont undertand how hard it is.

I think its been a wonderful experience for him something many never get the chance to do.

He acheived his dream to play pro ball.Its not over,just he went up for injuries,not as a promotion so injured players back,he goes down.Just like the major league roster.

At least of all the guys,they asked him.So he got a week of it.Kinda hard as he had not hit at night in a year.But thats the adjustments you have to be willing to make if you want to stick around.

One thing you cant take it personal or it will kill you.

fanofgame- Great perspective. Just as a quick side note- Auburn, while a pretty town right on a lake, is quite a bit further than 3 hours away from DC. 

Please keep us updated. Wherever he ends up, I'm sure he will excel with the optimism he seems to be approaching the game with. Baseball IS a business. However, when you're in between the lines, it will always be a game. He's getting an opportunity that millions wish for, and that's pretty awesome.

For now I hope that he enjoys his time in Viera and continues to enjoy each and every day on the field.

Auburn is in central NY, just south of Syracuse. From DC you're probably looking at more than 6 hours. You have to cut through a little bit of Maryland, all of Pennsylvania and then probably 90 miles or so into New York. Its a small town on the Finger Lakes...very pretty area during the summer months.

Originally Posted by Bum:

Well, after a few weeks of waiting Bum, Jr. got promoted to high-A today.  The stats in that league (California League) are not pitcher-friendly due to the high altitude but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  Regardless, I'm proud of what he's done so far.

Fan of Game, I share your joy.  Great news for your son.

Bum- Nice debut for your son! Pitching a scoreless inning in the Cal League your 1st time out is an impressive accomplishment. Tell him to keep it up.

Son had one of the worst outings of his career this weekend.  As referenced in this thread, the Cali league is not pitcher friendly and I might add the team we played was not pitcher friendly either!  (I know that it was not his best night but in my twisted mom mind, it makes me feel better knowing the team they played had already racked up 26 home runs in 14 games.)    Home runs seemed to come one after another.  In all his years of playing, I don't think I have ever seen him so down after an outing.  To add that he is thousands of miles away, made it seem even more desparate as a parent.  Lots of texting on the ride home and lots of encouragment seemed so little but like I told him, everyone there has the potential, keep your mind strong and know that it is a work in progress everyday for every player, whether in the minor leagues or in the majors.  I ain't easy. 

I know that he is doing something he loves, is not in danger and can leave it anytime he wants.  What I don't know is how a parent of a solider sleeps at night while their child is at war.  The desparation one must feel to be so disconnected and unable to comfort their child far outweighs any such moment I may have. 

I hope that everyone's son has a productive, healthy, safe season and that when the ups and downs of minor league ball are upon them, they will bounce back and enjoy the moment of what they are doing.   And as a parent, I too, hope that I can always keep it in perspective.

I know that he is doing something he loves, is not in danger and can leave it anytime he wants.  What I don't know is how a parent of a solider sleeps at night while their child is at war.

Words all of us could stand to reflect on from time to time.

I don't know how they do it either.

BTW, don't know how rough your son's outing was, but mine once gave up 8 runs in an inning...on Father's Day.    And then they put him out there for another inning!?!?

I was feeling pretty lousy and in AZ with our younger one...at the field a couple hours later when he called, "Happy Fathers Day Dad!" 

Your son will be fine before you will...is what I think. 

Last edited by justbaseball

As a parent I have been lucky enough to experience many great moments.  Sometimes it's the not so good moments that are most memorable.  I was in the stands at a MLB game listening to nearly 50,000 fans booing our son. I was in the stands when he set an all time record in the Pacific Coast League for most walks in one inning. He gave up 7 walks in one innings.  Maybe not quite to the extent above, but everyone has or will experience one or more of these type days. Not really a lot of fun, but there's always the next time.  Having had sons that both pitched and played a position, I can really feel for parents of Pitchers.  It's not so bad in HS or college, but for some reason professional baseball just seems different. More of a survival type thing. Don't get me wrong, it's great despite being a bit nerve racking at times. 

Bum, Jr. in a summer collegiate game once got yanked after throwing 35 pitches in the first inning.  He had a great year, but that one particular game was not pretty.  The 35th pitch the umpire called "time" during his windup and Bum, Jr. hit him square in the back six feet out of the batter's box.  The ump dropped to his knees in pain and I quickly unplugged my computer.

Nice post PG.  I always like to read other's experiences and be reminded that as you said, it happens to all.  Very true that the not so good moments are most memorable. For me at least, I think those are the times that touch our heart and we know we can't fix (and I use the word fix for a lack of a better word). But no matter, it has and continues to be a great experience and one that we all appreciate and know is one in a million. 

A little bad news to report for my son...

He's dealt with all types of injuries over the years and has managed to tough them out and continue playing.  He broke his big toe one summer and missed all of two games because of that.  He's had pulled hamstrings, chipped bones, a concussion, contusions, stitches, etc. etc.  A couple of week back, he took a 96 mph pitch from Drew Pomeranz directly on the left elbow.  He did not come out of the game although his manager tried to get him out and he has worn an elbow pad ever since.  Last year they suspected he played most of the year with a fracture in his back but were never quite able to detect one after they finally ordered two CT scans and an MRI.  For them to do all that, you know it must have been hurting him.

I suspect MOST players, play with injuries ALL the time.  Imagine Cal Ripken.

Now the coup-de-grat...  He steps in the shower after a game two days ago and slips.  Both feet slip out from under him and he lands directly on his back with the full weight of his body.  Has a massive welt on his back and the pain became so bad that they had to take him to the emergency room at 4:00 AM.  Initial X-Rays did not show a fracture but they followed that up with an MRI which showed he has a fractured rib.  He is one of the toughest individuals I've encountered in the game.  They had him on morphine because the pain was that bad.  I know it must have been bad because he usually shakes things off.

He asked me to say a prayer for him and I ask the same from all of you.  I know it helped me immensely when I was sick.  Thanks in advance.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.